Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ACDC8

RE: Car Clocked At 250KM/H On Highway

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 40):
Actually, according to the rules of the road, you do "own" the space your vehicle is in.

The problem is that half of the drivers aren't in the space their vehicle is supposed to be in the first place.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

don81603

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 50):
The problem is that half of the drivers aren't in the space their vehicle is supposed to be in the first place

Whatever space they are in is the space they own. If you so desire to drive on the shoulder, you own that space. If you're moving at half the posted speed or triple the posted speed, you own that space.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:30 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 50):
The problem is that half of the drivers aren't in the space their vehicle is supposed to be in the first place.

Bingo. Left-lane hoggers.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 51):
Whatever space they are in is the space they own. If you so desire to drive on the shoulder, you own that space. If you're moving at half the posted speed or triple the posted speed, you own that space.

If you're driving on the shoulder, you're breaking the law. If you're driving too slow, with no good reason (tow, breakdown,etc) you're breaking the law.. If you're driving 3 times the speed limit.. you're breaking the law..

You've totally read wrong into my point.. My point was that exactly what Northstar said.. the "I'm not giving way" mentality.

The mentality that.. "oh, i'm in the right lane, and someone is trying to merge onto the highway, so LET ME SPEED UP SO THEY HAVE A BAD DAY JUST LIKE ME AND CAN'T GET ON" mentality LOL

Don, no one is arguing that you don't own the space your vehicle occupies.. we're arguing the rude pri*k that chooses to not be courteous.

To me, this all comes down to three things:

1) Uneducated and inexperienced drivers

2) Cops not applying the same rules for everyone.

3) People who have NOTHING better than to be rude.

And, I'd actually challenge you to show me legally where I own the piece of highway that my vehicle currently occupies..

If the gov't can tell you you can't smoke in "your" vehicle with children in your car, do you really 'own' that piece of land you're on?

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

ACDC8

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 am

Whatever space they are in is the space they own.

Which vary will may be dangerous, reckless, and unsafe for the rest of the motoring public. Just because you "own" the space doesn't give anyone the right to impede traffic and or enable you to drive without due care and attention. But, this is the biggest problem on Canadian roads, having the mentality that this is my space and I can do what ever I want, screw everyone else.

If you so desire to drive on the shoulder, you own that space.

Which is illegal.

If you're moving at half the posted speed or triple the posted speed, you own that space.

Which (on many freeways/highways in Canada, at least in BC) is also illegal unless weather conditions permit such a slow rate of travel.

Regardless, I've driven enough in both Canada and Germany not to believe this constant propaganda and rubbish that speed kills and is the leading contributor to road fatalities. Once Canada implents mandatory driving school, required safety inspections on ALL vehicles at least once every 2 years, higher standard of highway maintanence and enforcement of ALL traffic violations, than I may change my viewpoint if any data actually supports that speeding is still the contributing factor in accidents. But until then, I'll base my opinon on my own experiecnes driving in countries that have higher speedlimits yet fewer accidents and fatalites than us.

Reckless driving is one thing, but is completely different than speeding. Of course, the propaganda ministries such as ICBC likes to preach otherwise.

don81603

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 52):
And, I'd actually challenge you to show me legally where I own the piece of highway that my vehicle currently occupies..

Simple laws of physics, and the general rules of the road. No one can "enter" the space you occupy. If they do, we obviously have a collision, and since they entered your space, they are at fault.

I'm not saying that driving slow is safe. In fact, slow pokes are far more likely to cause an accident than someone using the road as their person 1/4 mile dragstrip. While driving at a slower speed than the normal slow may be inherently dangerous, stupid, careless rude and inconsiderate, it is not illegal unless a minimum speed is clearly posted.

Quote:
Andy’s Law was first put to the test in 2003 when a woman was prosecuted for killing one construction worker and critically injuring another as they set up an electronic traffic merging sign along I-94 in Macomb County on August 9, 2002. The woman reportedly was driving 80 miles per hour in the construction zone where the speed limit was 45 miles per hour, and had no insurance, a restricted license, a previous drunk driving conviction, and four previous license suspensions. Her attorney argued that the construction zone was not clearly marked, so she did not know that she should have slowed down. He also argued that, since the workers were installing the sign before the construction barrels began, they were not technically in a construction zone. The driver was acquitted on all charges. It was suggested that this “loophole” in the law should be closed.

Full text at

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...sis/Senate/htm/2003-SFA-5089-A.htm

There was also a similar incident in Saskatchewan a few years back just after they started their 60 km/h when passing parked emergency vehicles law. A driver was ticketed under the law, but had the conviction overturned because the reduced speed limit was not posted. They have since posted the 60 km/h speed limit, but the point remains, unless a minimum speed limit is clearly posted, then you can drive at any speed up to and including the posted maximum speed and not be in violation of the law.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 53):
Which (on many freeways/highways in Canada, at least in BC) is also illegal unless weather conditions permit such a slow rate of travel.

I've yet to see any signs indicating a minimum speed on Canadian highways, save for truck speeds on some grades. Most interstates in the US do have minimum speed limits (40 mph/65 km/h). Other than that, some grades have minimum speeds for trucks.

WildcatYXU

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 54):
I've yet to see any signs indicating a minimum speed on Canadian highways

Quite easy. Drive on any highway in Quebec.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

chris78cpr

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:34 pm

EDIT: Removing comment.

Chris

[Edited 2009-03-10 14:35:58]
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

don81603

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 55):
Quite easy. Drive on any highway in Quebec.

I stand corrected. In my defence, I haven't been to Quebec in a number of years.

ACDC8

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:02 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 54):
I've yet to see any signs indicating a minimum speed on Canadian highways,

You don't need a sign to post a minimum limit. From the BC Motor Vehicle Act ...

Slow driving
145 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer.

If the speed limit is 100km/h and you are, for no reasonable reason such as weather, road conditions, etc., driving 60km/h you are breaking the law plain and simple because you are impeding traffic, driving less than the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and are a danger to yourself and others on the road not to mention the $121 fine and 3 points on your licence.