Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Carlisle

RE: Your Pet Peeve(s)

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 7):
One of my biggest pet hates is lateness.

You remind of what ... I forgot to include this in my list...:

People Who Waste Other People's Time !

MCOflyer

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Drivers who do not let other people over
Loud and obnoxious neighbors
Friends who show up @ my door w/o calling me first
commercials on the tv and radio

KH

mirrodie

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:33 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 41):
Pet Peeves. I've got a lot of them. I've been described as being a real life version of "John Becker" from the sitcom Becker. I'll restrain myself and only mention a few (no particular order):

*Not returning messages. If I leave you a message, I pretty much expect some sort of answer eventually (that is if I asked a question in the first place).

I agree with some but not returning messages, in this age, is a peeve.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
*People who have lived in the U.S. for 20 years and still don't speak English. Sorry, there's no excuse.

Absolutely.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
*People who try to stop a running doctor to ask him a question.

Or how about those that come to you for medical care, then after your assessment and plan, they tell you they read otherwise on the internet? WHAT? If you read that on the internet, then why are you here???!!!!! Obviously b/c your internet self medicating is useless.

Also, smokers are not bad folks. But why throw the butts out your window when your ashtray is 3 feet away?

lastly, Inconsiderate people.

dragon6172

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 49):
Oh, and if someone's right up my tail, I'd generally have the courtesy to pull over and let them by, regardless of whether I am speeding myself or not. If the other driver wants to go faster, let them.

They can go faster all they want, but i am not going to merge into a lane with slower traffic so some ass hat with a lead foot can go 90 down the highway. And, there is no reason for me to be courteous to someone who does not have the common courtesy to not ride someone elses bumper!!

TUNisia

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:17 am

1) Liars
2) Impatient people

ShyFlyer

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:18 am

Realized another one:

*Frequent schedule changes. What's the purpose of having a schedule if you change it frequently?

MIAspotter

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:54 am

Hmmm Pet Peeves...

1. Smokers, I honestly think they are the most selfish and rude people on earth, they smoke whenever they want to and don't care if there are kids, babies, or non smokers around.

2. People who walk slow, specially on the Metro.

3. People who block the moving escalator on the Metro, the rules say if you are fat and lazy you should keep to your right and leave the left clear for people who want to get through, and some of them will argue with you if you tell them off!

4. Ignorant people.

5. People who spit on the streets. disgusting!

6. Teenagers who dress like rappers with huge shirts, caps, huge jewellery and baggy pants, seriously dude, you look like a fucking retard, get some proper clothes.

7. People who take ages at the Cash Machines like someone mentioned before, they will stay in front of the machine until they have put the credit card back on his/her wallet, had a quick look at the statement slip, and put the money on the wallet, same applies to store checkout points.

And so many more.

2707200X

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 am

When a news anchor calls the Kepler spacecraft an aircraft.

luckyone

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Quoting Mal787 (Reply 19):
Celebraties who think they can solve the worlds problems and alwasy think the opinion they offer is the way to go ( you reading Tom)

Can we please add Madonna and her messianic complex to that list?

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 20):
When people do not return calls; obviously i you called me and i'm returning your call

Amen.

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 28):
Crocs (the shoes). I don't care how comfortable they are, you look like an idiot wearing them. They only look good on toddlers.

That's even a stretch. Though they are comfortable I refuse to wear them.

My list:

1. Slowpokes in the left lane!

2. Britney Spears fans. I like her music too, but yeesh get a life!

3. Drivers who take a full minute to realize the light has changed.

4. Drivers who STOP at YIELD signs when there isn't a car in sight.

5. Customer service without a smile.

6. Lawwwwng Islaand/Baahstahn/New Joisey/Brooklyn accents.

7. Yinzers  Wink

8. Most "funny" movies.

9. Dubbed movies/TV shows. This makes me want to climb the walls because the voices are out of sync. Give me subtitles any day.

10. Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Katie Couric.

11. Beyonce.

12. Commercials.

13. Grown women who act like 12-year-old girls (who in fact were annoying even when I was twelve....)

14. Political know-it-alls.

15. Political extremists.

16. Last but not least... POLITICIANS.

I think I need to go back to positive thinking!

David L

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:52 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 56):
1. Smokers, I honestly think they are the most selfish and rude people on earth, they smoke whenever they want to and don't care if there are kids, babies, or non smokers around.

Sorry but that's just not true. It's a complete myth that "smokers smoke whenever they want". Yes, there are some selfish idiots who smoke but they're not idiots because they're smokers - they are idiots and they smoke. There are plenty of smokers who are more considerate and there are plenty of non-smokers who are selfish and rude - they just don't have the facility to annoy you by smoking.

If you mean "smokers who are selfish and rude" then I'd agree. They don't do the rest of us any favours.  Smile

iairallie

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 59):
but they're not idiots because they're smokers

Disagree, smoking is inherently idiotic. Thus all smokers are idiots.

OA260

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Quoting 787seattle (Thread starter):
1. Walking really slowly in front of me (and not letting me get by)

Im glad im not the only one. Also talking on their mobile/cell phone. Blocking exits and doorways.

David L

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 60):
Disagree, smoking is inherently idiotic. Thus all smokers are idiots.

Oh, way to miss the point!

First of all, plenty of "intelligent" people smoke. Smoking might be a "idiotic" thing to do but being a smoker doesn't make someone "an idiot". Some people believe the same about anyone who drinks even a small amount of alcohol. Yes, if you sit down and weigh up the pros and cons you'll see the evidence comes down heavily in favour of not smoking but for many people, life isn't as simple as that. If you think all smokers are idiots, I think you should get out more.  Smile

Secondly, there are plenty of "idiots" who don't smoke. Perhaps some of you non-smokers never do anything that isn't completely sensible but I've yet to meet one.

The smokers that people complain about are a subset of those who smoke. The vast majority I know do not believe they can smoke anywhere and any time they like and they do not believe smoking should be allowed everywhere.

If people are going to pick the worst offenders as "typical smokers", then we can pick the most sanctimonious non-smokers who believe everything they do is right and everything they don't do is wrong as "typical non-smokers". Fortunately, the majority of non-smokers I know are not like that.  Smile

But thanks for reminding me of another of my pet peeves.  biggrin 

seemyseems

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:29 pm

1) I dislike loud and annoying racists i.e. Chubby Brown
2) People who have 'dog phobia'

The one about dogs is based on someone in my class, he claims to hate dogs and uses horrible words to describe them. But he is actually scared of them and can't face the fact he has a phobia of dogs.

2707200X

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Quoting Luckyone (Reply 58):

checkmark 

The list continues.

13) Computer freezes.

14) Loooooooooooooooong red lights, red lights at every intersection.

15) People who are obsessed with "troubled starlets" like Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears and so on.

16) Long commercial breaks, political commercials, frequent repeat commercials.

17) People who honk their horn all the freaking time and for any reason.

18) Frequent political obstructionism.

19) Musicians who lip-sync like Brit-Brit.

20) Celebrities who always make the point that they are afraid to fly.

21) Public schools that teach abstinence-only, and or intelligent design as part of it's curricula.  flamed 

22) Schools that no longer have art, music or PE.

23) People who refer to Barack Obama as Barack "Hussein" Obama, every one knows what that implies, and people who want him to fail.  duck 

24) Women who stand by their man/boyfriend who physically assaults them.

25) Men and women who beat up their spouses, kids, boyfriend/girlfriend.

26) Grown women who act and dress like teenagers, wear black fingernails like Julian Reynolds on KTTV Los Angeles.

27) Guys who always have something to prove for their girlfriends.

28) People who make frivolous lawsuits.

29) The censoring of TV. The parents should raise the kids not the TV, limit hours for kids.  duck 

30) The outrageous price of college text books.

31) Conspiracy theorists.

32) Telemarketers, people who call whan you are having dinner.

33) Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons who come to your door and converse with you for a half hour or more.

34) People in campus trying to talk to you about Lyndon LaRouche.

35) The End of Days people.

36) Panhandlers on the street, it's about drugs.

37) People in Academia who always bash Wikipedia.

38) People who bash other cultures on things they don't understand.

39) People and restaurants who used the word "freedom fries" when France did not want to go to war with us.

40) People who spend more than the have, no savings.

41) Daylight savings adjustments.

42) People who support the "fairness doctrine".

43) Anti-intellectualism.

44) Street construction going on in the middle of rush hour, it happens in LA all the time.

45) CEO's of companies who earn billions, have bonuses of millions and run businesses
right into the ground.

46) Yes men.

seemyseems

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 am

Quoting RicciPettit (Reply 47):
-Text speak (all kids use it these days, English as a language is rapidly dying)

I know! Awful, I personally refuse to use it!

Quoting RicciPettit (Reply 47):
Ant & Dec

I know! They have that stupid show back on ITV, get it off the air please!

I also hate;

ITV - 1,2,3 & 4 - Its just awful!
'Corri'
Ryanair
Stereotypes
Chubby Brown
Bebo - though I do have an account with them
Neighbours - the TV show
Dave - the pointless TV channel
Big Brother
CHAVS - they just like to make everyone else uncomfortable
Mondays
Just about everyone of my teachers
People who joke about other peoples cultures, and have no idea about them
People who wear Sherpa hats as a fashion item
Skins
People who hate Americans and use the war as an excuse

THE most annoying think of all...

That Cadbury's advert with the eyebrows, actually, all Cadbury's adverts.

[Edited 2009-03-07 16:29:48]

[Edited 2009-03-07 16:37:44]

aero145

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:21 am

Quoting NWIguy (Reply 46):
1. People who call English British English or when it shows up on websites as English (UK). It's just English! I'm not against American English and realise there will be differences but you don't hear people saying German German and Swiss German - its German and Swiss German!

Agree wholeheartedly!

don81603

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 10):
Not saying thank you to someone holding open a door for you.

I've slammed many doors in the face of people who don't say thanks.

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 25):
-Political Correctness. My most hated thing in the world.

Agree 100%

People telling their kids "Use your indoor voice"

People using my parking stall to run into the store next door, and using the excuse "I was only going in for a second". How would you feel if I used your garage to run into the store "for a second"?

Idiots who don't move over, or at least slow down for stopped emergency vehicles.

All the SMS "shorthand"

People who don't clean up after their dogs in public.

People yapping on a cell phone in a checkout line.

People yapping on the phone while driving. I usually give 'em a blast on the airhorn as I go past  Wink

Stupid questions from service workers. Many times I've ordered a BLT, then been asked if I want lettuce on it.

People who can't parked between the lines.

People who want something for nothing. Otherwise known as frivoious lawsuits.

People insisting on blaming others for their own stupidity. IE not wearing a seatbelt, then suing because they were hurt in a wreck.

Idiots who insist on using an engine brake in a parking lot because "it sounds cool". Not to those of us trying to sleep it doesn't.

Truck stop racers. Many times I've had the same truck pass me 5 or 6 times a day...

Environmentalists who have no idea what they're talking about. They "demand" fuel efficient engines for cars and trucks, reduced greenhouse gas emmisions and the like, then totally ignore the most serious polluters, like ships and railway locomotives. And bulidings wasting who knows how much energy leaving lights on 24/7.

Fashionably late. If you're honestly late, have the decency to call and let me know. Otherwise, you're just wasting my time.

I think that's enough for now.

egmcman

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Badly behaved children

Parents that let their children misbehave

Train operator that does not put a sign up at my local railway station saying services have been canceled

People that talk on their mobile phones in the "quiet zone" of the train

Colleagues that ask for lunch cover four days a week so that they can go to lunch with their colleagues they are friendly with when we supposed to work as a team

Being put under pressure to take on addition duties at work which was effectively decided at a meeting whilst I was away and I had no prior knowledge of

Colleagues that think that they know your job better than you even though they have never done your your job

Taking phone calls from irate members of public who think colleagues are avoiding them

Companies that like you to make a mutually convenient time for an appointment and 99.9% of the time they cancel them

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 am

Slow walkers ahead of me.
People who talk differently in front of & away from me.
People who are not on time.
regds
MEL.

SmithAir747

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:38 am

Some of my pet peeves:

*Forwarded emails (definitely anathema to me!!)--these are just plain silly, time-wasting emails--what is worst is that these come from well-meaning friends who think I would "enjoy" them, despite the fact I have asked said friends to stop forwarding emails to me!
*Mass emails
*Promotional/advertising emails
*Tracfone emails--despite the many times I have "unsubscribed" from these!
*Any emails that do not specifically pertain to me or are not strictly addressed to me
*The fact that the "unsubscribe" option does not always work for some unwanted emails
*Listservs
*Evites to parties I don't particularly want to go to
*Facebook, Myspace, and other invites from people who want to "friend" me to these totally useless social-networking websites for which I have no time or desire

In short, these are examples of my favourite pet peeve--which is UNSOLICITED emails that do not pertain to my medical research, or do not pertain to my personal communications with family, friends, and medical colleagues! Such emails are ANATHEMA to me, and deserve the worst fatwa, or the worst Spanish-style Inquisition torture, or excommunication, or whatever nasty fate, to the originators of such wasteful emails!

Other things I hate:

*Advertising--especially TV and radio commercials, which by their nature are intrusive and noisy.
*Any type of incompetence! That includes Advantacare (a DME supplier) playing games with my prescription for a replacement CPAP machine!
*Junk mail
*Uncleanliness and slovenliness
*People who play dumb
*"Music teachers" who actually cannot read standard music (notes, staves, etc)--I actually had a guitar instructor in 2001 who could only play one type of music (blues) and could not read music, and had no teaching credentials! (I dropped him and found a professionally credentialed, classically-trained guitar teacher, who did me a world of good.) As a classically trained pianist/musician, when I want to learn another instrument, I expect my prospective teacher to know how to read standard music (and be properly trained to teach the instrument).
*Dumbing down church (that includes CCM)
*Dumbing down in schools
*Dumbing down music
*Dumbing anything down or making it shallow!
*Political correctness and "green" agendas
*Panhandlers and certain other street denizens coming up to me and acting really weird and trying to get money out of me
*Chronically late, unpredictable MUNI transit vehicles in San Francisco--I actually find it faster and more efficient to walk across town to church, other places, instead of waiting up to 30 minutes for the next MUNI tram or bus.
*Conspiracy theories, "predictions", or any belief that is so stupid!
*People who waste my time, period, or make me late for anything!
*eBay users who see something I'm listing on eBay, then email me (through eBay) trying to get me to sell the item directly to them by offering a certain amount for it, despite eBay's rules against any type of offers or transactions off-eBay. If you want it, bid for it or use "Buy It Now" if that option is on my auction. Or winning bidders who don't pay for the item.

Basically, I cannot stand poor quality, or the dumbing-down of anything, or the wasting of my time with anything shallow or pointless. I have high standards, and I expect people to rise to them.

SmithAir747

WunalaYann

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:52 am

My pet peeve?

Pet peeves.

I am not perfect, far from it. I am trying to get better every day but there are still many issues and kinks to work out. If one or many of them annoy you, please let me know and I will try my best to weed them out.

But we all need patience and understanding in order to live in this world without developing severe "I wanna smash this guy's face 'cause he cut me off at the freeway entrance" cases and the medical conditions associated with deep, inner frustrations and anger.

Smile

NorthstarBoy

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 am

My biggest pet peeve is when i'm driving on the highway and come up behind someone in the right lane driving slow, which means i have to pass them on the left, and someone in the left lane is sitting right by my left rear fender just waiting until i have to slow down before they pass me.

Or how about people who speed up when you're trying to pass them on a two lane highway because they were driving too slow, and when you're forced to get back behind them because of oncoming traffic, they slow down again.

As a travel agent, my biggest pet peeve are people who don't know what they want when they call in.

Finally, when it comes to flying, it's a tie between the person on the aisle who decides to let everyone else get off before they even begin to get up which means i'm pretty much stuck in my window seat, or someone, usually a young male from the south, who will stand up and block the aisle to assist someone else and let that usually slow elderly person go first. that's when i want to yell, "come on man, forget about that old lady, just get your stuff and get moving so the rest of us can get moving and not have to run so fast to catch our impossibly tight connections!"

2707200X

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:55 pm

A few more.

47) Dog poop found in my lawn in the morning.

48) Romantic Comedies, they get bad reviews, they are unrealistic, no guy comes their voluntarily, they bomb at the box office and they stagnate careers of prominent actors.

49) 98% of movie sequels, prequels.

50) The dumbing down of TV programs. When it comes to news, their is virtually no international coverage, special reports are shortened and not as in-dept as it once was, and when it comes to debating both sides of an issue they pick the megaphone holders and the debate is never at an adult level in cable news. In cartoons, doing everything in the cheap, like using CGI and skipping on talent to save money. TV networks that launch programs they know people won't watch and no one is surprised when the TV series lasts only 1 episode.

DocLightning

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 71):

Pet peeves.

I am not perfect, far from it. I am trying to get better every day but there are still many issues and kinks to work out. If one or many of them annoy you, please let me know and I will try my best to weed them out.

My pet peeve is friends who, when thrown a beautiful woman in a bar, duck and retreat to the corner.

duck 

WunalaYann

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 74):
My pet peeve is friends who, when thrown a beautiful woman in a bar, duck and retreat to the corner.

You mean, after said friend worked his bum off to successfully set you up with date?  duck 

I like your friend, really.  biggrin 

DocLightning

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 75):

You mean, after said friend worked his bum off to successfully set you up with date? duck

You worked your...???  rotfl  That's not how I remember it. Although you were a good wingman...

bahadir

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:58 am

People who :
- Type hanger instead of hangar...
- Educated people who are unable use their, they're, there.

2707200X

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:19 am

But wait there's more!

51) Frequent commercial brakes in TV network news, every two minutes at times.

52) people who slow down to a crawl when they make a right turn to a parking lot or neighborhood.

53) When you make a right turn to a parking lot or neighborhood, you use a turn signal and the driver behind you won't slow down at all.

54) People who don't say thank you when you open the door for them.

55) MTV, most music of this decade, it's crap, even the kids that listen to this crap who don't really care for music are turning away from this hash.