Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deaphen
Topic Author

How To Ask A Girl To Marry Me?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm

The title says it all... any suggestions? Been dating for 8 years now.. its about time, just waiting to finish my masters and get a good job.

My idea has always been that i must ask on a private jet just above the clouds... since that is the closest thing that comes closest to her beauty.

Any help is appreciated.

N
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

nighthawk

RE: How To Ask A Girl To Marry Me?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:37 pm

email her a link to this thread, or buy her a snowglobe. Both will have the desired effect.

metroliner

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Paint it on the road in front of her house...  Smile
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

deaphen
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):
email her a link to this thread, or buy her a snowglobe. Both will have the desired effect.

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 2):
Paint it on the road in front of her house... Smile

Haha thanks guys.... it has got to be something to do with aviation...... hmmmm or not...

Its really confusing! But 1 thing i am sure off is that i want to do it.

yooyoo

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 3):
it has got to be something to do with aviation

Dress up as a pilot and ask her to input the coordinates for" love" into your FMC. man, that's tacky.  Wink

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
My idea has always been that i must ask on a private jet just above the clouds

get a good job

you might want to get the job first.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

deaphen
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 4):
you might want to get the job first

Job is not so much of a problem, lawyers are needed all over the world, rescission or not.... lol..

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 4):
Dress up as a pilot and ask her to input the coordinates for" love" into your FMC. man, that's tacky.

Hmm, I think you have that the wrong way around. Shouldn't he be inputting his "love" into her "FMC"?

duck 

Haha thanks guys.... it has got to be something to do with aviation...... hmmmm or not...

Simple way to answer that question: is she interested in aviation?

If not, might not want to include it  Smile
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

deaphen
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Simple way to answer that question: is she interested in aviation?

Well because of me she is.... she now knows the difference between a 737 and 320, 330 and 777, 747 and 380.....

Mind you thats a huge deal for a woman  Smile  Wink

N

DocLightning

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 pm

A private jet's expensive. However, I have seen a few proposals trailed as flying banners behind those planes that fly around at football games...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

texan

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Just be you. Do what comes naturally. She wants to be with you because of who you are, not because you want to fly her just above the clouds to propose. Listen to your heart on this one: the right thing to do will just come to you  Smile

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

2H4

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:48 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
A private jet's expensive.

Indeed. How about a hot air balloon ride during sunset?

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

4holer

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:52 pm

As always....
Step 1: Log into Airliners.net. (So far, so good)
Step 2: Ask for advice.
Step 3: After getting the inevitable snowglobe wisecrack:
3a) If you get it, chuckle.
3b) if you do not, search for snowglobe thread, read and be astonished, then chuckle.
Step 4: Discard every bit of advice you get on this site. Including mine.
Step 5: Get ring lined up and ready, including ring size and stone cut she prefers
Step 6: Don't overthink it. Avoid cheesy and embarrassing. The moment will come.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

hairybus

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
How about a hot air balloon ride during sunset?

How about a hot air balloon ride during sunset over the Taj Mahal?

RobertNL070

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 2):
Paint it on the road in front of her house...

Somebody did that on a road at the rear of our complex last 14th February. The police tracked him down and he got a very nasty fine.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

MCOflyer

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):

I concur with 2H4 on the sunset balloon ride. Other ideas: you could take a day trip and propose onboard in the middle of the cruising portion. Finally, you could take her spotting and propose when a plane thats special to you both lands.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Jayce

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Make a scavenger hunt for her... hide the clues at places that have meaning to the both of you. Make sure she has a friend in on it to help her though just in case she gets lost. Good for you for wanting to be romantic-women like that kind of ****.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

kmh1956

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:40 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 7):
Mind you thats a huge deal for a woman

Hey, watch it!!

In all seriousness, though, what is SHE interested in...on her own, not because of what you're interested in...?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

avent

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Why not just ask her? If there's any risk she'll say 'no' to anything other than a sincere request, run the other way as fast as you can. Save the theatrics for the honeymoon.

Springbok747

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:27 am

If you have been dating her for 8 years...then you should know a lot about her and vice-versa. So just ask her..straightforward.
אני תומך בישראל

aerorobnz

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:31 am

just spit it out and get it over with if you actually want to marry her. Too many people go for 'romantic' and it fails every time.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

MarSciGuy

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:49 am

Heck, I asked her when we were relaxing on the couch after opening our presents (in was Christmas Day)....very little legwork to plan for it but thne again I was going to be away for 3 weeks a few days later, so decided heck with it and did it  Smile ( wears now, e have been together for just over 2 years now, it was just under when I proposed).
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

yooyoo

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:12 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Hmm, I think you have that the wrong way around. Shouldn't he be inputting his "love" into her "FMC"?

i hear you, i had many more thoughts but held short of writting them here.  Wink

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
How about a hot air balloon ride during sunset?

That's a good one even if she isn't interested in aviation.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

mirrodie

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):

So you even know the story behind the snowglobe? ROFL!!

Deaphen, you are dating EIGHT years??! You ARE married!!!

In all seriousness, 8 years if a long time, Think about yourselves and her and the good times and you'll figure something out. Looking on Anet for advice that is not your own probably takes away from the event, no?

It's a special moment, so make it yours.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:13 am

How To Ask A Girl To Marry Me?

Simple: DON'T! Keep your freedom!  silly 

My idea has always been that i must ask on a private jet just above the clouds... since that is the closest thing that comes closest to her beauty.

Hmmm.... how about at SXM on the beach at sunset as a plane is landing?  biggrin 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

StarAC17

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 am

I would say do it in a romantic place which would be a beach but not SXM while a AF A340 is coming in low over your head and throws the ring into the engine or the Caribbean  duck 

I was just on a contiki tour in Australia and there was a successful proposal on it and he did it when they were alone on Fraser Island (if any of you Aussies care where). He told us later that he had planned to do it on Whitehaven beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (which I didn't get to see), but backed out because there would be a lot of us around, and I saw this coming immediately after meeting them. Also you don't have to worry about wake turbulence  Wink But I digress.

Personally what I would do (which won't happen for a while) is take her to the place that she loves more than anything and do it there, perhaps somewhere where something significant in her life happened.

After 8 years you should know what this place is or can think of something. If you can't then you should maybe reconsider your decision. (don't take offense to that, that would be my opinion with everyone)

However for the love of god please don't to it in a public place especially a sporting event. I know you are from India and its probably not that common there but in Canada I have seen one too many proposals that were on the KISS CAM at sporting events. You know how many I have seen... One
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:09 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 22):
It's a special moment, so make it yours.

He could do like the story here on the local news in Florida a couple days ago. A guy hid the engagement ring in a frosty and the girl ate the ring without even realizing it. In fact, he didn't even notice she had swallowed it until she finished the frosty and hadn't found the wing. They got her x-rayed and found the ring in her stomach. I really hoped when she shit it out, that it was in a sinker that disappeared and they never got it back.  devil 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

HAWK21M

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 am

Nitin.
Hire a Light Aircraft ride from BOM to GOA......at Cruise,present the Ring,Spend the weekend at Goa beach.........Indian style.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EZEIZA

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:11 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 24):
I would say do it in a romantic place which would be a beach but not SXM while a AF A340 is coming in low over your head and throws the ring into the engine or the Caribbean duck

you lose the ring and she'd have no idea of what you said becuase of the a/c passing by Big grin

My advice? Ask when she least expects it. Without having the pleasure of knowing you guys, I have a feeling that if you take her on a balloon ride she'll know it's coming, so if you want thew surprise effect, pick something where she would least expect it.
When I proposed to my wife, we had been talking about eventually getting married for so long that it came out more like a "do you want to?" ; "yeah, sure"; "cool" ... no kneeling down or huge love ststements .. it just happened. Besides, we had been living together for some time so it wasn't like marriage was going to change much. Two and a half years later, everything still seems to be fine (or she is great in hiding secrets Big grin )

Good luck mate  Wink
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

metroliner

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 26):
Indian style

If Bollywood is to be believed, sixty random very pretty ladies would turn up from nowhere, do a spontaneous song and a dance on the wings, and the hero would present the ring in the flashiest method possible - like descending from a wire whilst fireworks explode either side of him... Big grin

That's Indian style, surely? Got to love Bollywood  Smile

Revelation

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 13):
Somebody did that on a road at the rear of our complex last 14th February. The police tracked him down and he got a very nasty fine.

To go along with the one he'll be paying for the rest of his life...

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
I really hoped when she shit it out, that it was in a sinker that disappeared and they never got it back.

You romantic fool you!  Smile

Can you imagine the scene: "Honey, I love you, but the next time you want to poop, do you mind squatting over a bucket and then looking for the ring afterwards?" If he's lucky she'll do the former, but chances are he'll have to do the later. Of course it's all his fault for putting the ring in the drink to begin with, and if he was a real good hubby, he'd just go buy her another ring, right?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

metroliner

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 13):

Romance is dead  crying 

dragon6172

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 27):
My advice? Ask when she least expects it. Without having the pleasure of knowing you guys, I have a feeling that if you take her on a balloon ride she'll know it's coming, so if you want thew surprise effect, pick something where she would least expect it.

This is the ticket right here. If you are going to make a big show of it... then she is likely to know it is coming. Ask her in a way that she will be able to remember and relive fairly easy. In a cab, sitting at home having dinner together, on the couch watching a movie, etc. Everytime she does these things in life her mind will wander to that day when you asked her to marry.
But...on the other hand.... you have been with this gal for 8 years... you know her better than all of us. If you think that what she wants is some big extravagant show...(inverted high above the clouds?) then go for it. Just get back to us and let us know how it goes.
Phrogs Phorever

fatmirjusufi

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 pm

babybus

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:00 pm

'Will you marry me?' normally works, especially if you have a ring in your pocket. Saves them having to guess or get confused over what you might be talking about.

Hope that helps.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

RussianJet

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Don't do it! It's a trap!!
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

AGC525

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:54 pm

Ok, I've searched high and low on here and can't find the origin of the snowglobe, just tons of references.

Anyone have the story or link?
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

TAZA

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:01 pm

I never asked my wife to marry me. We had been dating for only five days and were sitting on a couch in her apartment and I just asked her " Will you walk with me through the valley of
time" She said yes, and we have been together for 37 years.

Good luck.
It takes less energy to love than to hate

Acheron

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Better idea:
Don't get married. It will save you a lot of money and problems in the future.  Silly

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 34):
Don't do it! It's a trap!!

MadameConcorde

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:37 pm

There is no more Concorde. That was a great and thrilling way to propose up at 60,000 ft. at a speed over Mach 2.

Youo could take her along on a Mig 29 ride off that flioght center in Russia and ask her if she will marry you when you reach the edge of Space.

You don't want cruise ships, it must be aviation related... so no voyage on the Queen Mary 2.

Another possibility is on a flight in a Singapore A380 Suite over a glass of pink Krug champagne.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

iairallie

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 16):
In all seriousness, though, what is SHE interested in...on her own, not because of what you're interested in...?

Exactly. Focus on her. I guarantee the aviation thing is more you than her.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

dl021

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Buy her a ticket to Tahiti. And one for yourself. Tell her its' your way of apologizing for making her wait 8 years.

If she's still with you after that long it ain't gonna make much difference how you do it.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

stasisLAX

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:59 pm

Go to the place that you first met or shared your first kiss (or whatever), and then ask me to marry you.  kiss 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Acheron

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:37 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 41):
Go to the place that you first met or shared your first kiss (or whatever), and then ask me to marry you.

what? eyebrow 

WESTERN737800

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 41):
Go to the place that you first met or shared your first kiss (or whatever), and then ask me to marry you.

Thats a good way to do it. I would stay away from the aviation stuff. Try and think of something she's interested in. Good luck.
Bring back Western Airlines!

2H4

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:32 am

http://i39.tinypic.com/2my5hcj.jpg
Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 am

Quoting Taza (Reply 36):
time" She said yes, and we have been together for 37 years.

Congrats.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 44):

Amusing..... Smile

Wheres Nitin off to....No reply for a long time.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Dougloid

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 am

Any help is appreciated.

John Donne, the poet once said "He who does not propose the right true end of love, goes to sea but for to make himself sick."

Faint heart has never won fair lady.

The last time she said to me "Let's go get hitched. It's about time. My mother's been wondering what's wrong with us." That was after a six year extended trial period.

It seemed like a good idea.

So after trying to find a judge in Los Angeles County to do the job we went to Las Vegas, got a license, and were married by a Clark County, Nevada Special Commissioner. The marriage cost five dollars, and that was 29 years ago.

Just do it fer chrissakes. You'll feel better.

Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Revelation

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 46):
John Donne, the poet once said "He who does not propose the right true end of love, goes to sea but for to make himself sick."

Glad you are confirming that marriage is the end of love!  Smile
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DIJKKIJK

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:46 pm

The title says it all... any suggestions? Been dating for 8 years now.. its about time, just waiting to finish my masters and get a good job.

So, gettin hitched eh lad! Make sure the gal really loves you first. Here's what you can try..

Don't shave or bathe at least for a week. Then get REAL drunk, put on your dirtiest clothes (stained with puke if possible), go to her and yell " Wanna get hitched , ol' gal? yo ''an me get along like a house on f**ing fire ehhhh?"

If she still says yes she'll love you no matter what!  Wink Big grin
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Dougloid

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 47):
Glad you are confirming that marriage is the end of love!

Ummmmm, I think he was talking about making the stuff.

But an important point.

Someone once asked me what sex was, and I said that's what people do who aren't married.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn