Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airtrainer
Topic Author

USA Trip Suggestions

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi all,
I've booked a flight to SFO in may, returning from LAS two weeks later. I was thinking of spending two days in San Francisco, then fly to DEN or COS and rent a car to come back to LAS. My roadtrip would be more or less royal gorge / great sand dunes / black canyon / grand mesa / grand junction / Moab / capitol reef / bryce canyon / Page / Zion and maybe grand canyon north rim... Ok I know it would be very hard to see all these places in a short time but if anyone has a suggestion, anything will be welcome  Smile
Any other suggestion will also be precious as I haven't booked my domestic flight yes, I will surely book it this week.
Thanks in advance for your help !
Life is short : eat dessert first !

desertjets

RE: USA Trip Suggestions

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Thread starter):
Any other suggestion will also be precious as I haven't booked my domestic flight yes, I will surely book it this week.
Thanks in advance for your help !

Honestly I have no suggestions for you. Your trip idea sounds really cool and somewhat off of the beaten path. I figure give yourself a little more than a week to do the drive through Colorado and Utah to see as much as you can without being rushed. I guess it all depends on how much time you want to spend in Vegas.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Transpac787

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Thread starter):
then fly to DEN or COS

Same offer I extend to all a.net members, first beer is always in me if you ever pass through DEN!! Just shoot me a PM ahead of time.

Otherwise, I would agree with LAXintl, San Diego is quite the place to visit, I'd definitely recommend there. If you like aviation museums and the such, they have a ton of them. The Aerospace (or is it Air & Space?) Museum in Balboa Park as well as the USS Midway.

BMIFlyer

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:11 pm

San Diego is supposed to be very good. Big grin
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

HT

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Airtrainer!

For your airport selection:
Keep an eye on the oneway-rental fee for renting a car between DEN and LAS. The agencies I checked charge 300 USD oneway fee !
Depnding on your routing you could also fly into SLC, which would bring the oneway-fee (SLC to LAS) dwon to 100 USD.
In contrast to this, most agencies do not charge for oneway rentals between California and Nevada.

Rental car:
You will be driving quite a lot.
Get a suitably big car. Do not go for "Economy"-size; invest the few extra €€€ or $$$ and get a Full Size-car (FCAR) like a Chevy Impala. It definitely will have cruise control, which is essential when driving highways and Interstates in the West - and its bigger size will make the drive more relaxing (alternative could be a Intermediate-SUV which can be found fairly cheap on alamo.com or some brokers in Europe.
Check which insurances are included.

Where to go:
The route you mentioned focuses on landscape, rather than buil-up areas.
This is something that suits me fine, as I like the desert and interesting landscape.

In case you have not been to Death Valley yet, consider to make a daytrip into DV from Las Vegas, outbound via Pahrump, exiting DV in the evening either via Beatty, NV or Scottys Junction, NV.
If you want to explore the less often visited places of Death Valley like Racetrack or Titus Canyon a 4WD is recommended or even essential (Titus Canyon: 4WD with high clearance).

In case you also want to stop by at some aircraft storage facilities, you are on the wrong side of Las Vegas during your trip, as MHV and VCV are to the southwest of Las Vegas - and the usual places in Arizona are - err - in Arizona (around Tucson, where you will also find the famous Pima Air & Space Museum and AMARC oneyard).
But I assume, this will have to be a seperate trip.

In case I can be of any further help, send me a eMail.

Have fun !
Holger aka. -HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

airtrainer
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi, thanks a lot to you all for your suggestions, I really appreciate  Smile

Also a big thank you to LAXintl for the nice pictures !
Driving along the Pacific coast is indeed really interesting, I've made a similar trip a couple of years ago but it was on a guided tour so it would be more interesting to do it on my own this time...

I'd love to visit San Diego but I think I will keep the option for another trip, I have a Texas - California roadtrip along the mexican border somewhere in my mind  Silly

I'll try to spend two nights in Las Vegas. Holger, the daytrip idea to death valley looks very nice !

It will be my third visit in the "area", there are so many places to visit ! I'll try to make my final choice soon and book the domestic flight before the prices go up, but I'm sure it will be an exciting trip anyway !

@Transpac787, thanks a lot for the offer, I won't forget to PM you if I choose to fly to DEN.  thumbsup  Cheers !

Again thanks to you all.

Jeff
Life is short : eat dessert first !

HT

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 6):
Holger, the daytrip idea to death valley looks very nice !

In the more remote parts of DV there is Teakettle Junction ...
Big version: Width: 432 Height: 576 File size: 178kb
Teakettle Junction, Death Valley, CA in 10-2005
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

jetstar

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 5):
For your airport selection:
Keep an eye on the oneway-rental fee for renting a car between DEN and LAS. The agencies I checked charge 300 USD oneway fee !
Depnding on your routing you could also fly into SLC, which would bring the oneway-fee (SLC to LAS) dwon to 100 USD.

If your itinerary allows it, if there is a high drop off fee, you should check the rates doing the car trip in the opposite direction, sometimes one direction will have a higher rate because of outbound one way rentals leaving the rental agency short of cars so they will drop the surcharge and even have a lower rate if you drop the car off at that location.

In August my wife and I are going to Los Angeles for a wedding, then driving up to San Francisco for some sightseeing and leaving from there. I checked the rates for both directions and Dollar came in the cheapest with only a $50.00 drop of charge going from LA to SFO, but they wanted a $100.00 drop off charge plus the car rental itself was $75.00 more going from SFO to LA. Last year we went from PHX to LAS, again it was much cheaper then the reverse diriection.

I find this is also the case for LAS and more so MCO, more people who do one way rentals begin their trips at these locations and drive to another location after a few days and leave from there than the reverse, forcing the car rental agencies to ship cars back to these cities.

I have done this numerous times, taking advantage of the lower rental costs dropping the car off at these cities.

JetStar

[Edited 2009-03-13 13:26:46]

KaiGywer

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:49 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 2):
I figure give yourself a little more than a week to do the drive through Colorado and Utah to see as much as you can without being rushed.

What?! I did the drive in about twelve hours...other than the drive through the Rockies, and the canyon, there's not a lot to do there. Once you hit Utah, you might as well keep going all the way to Las Vegas without stopping for anything but fuel.

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 3):
Same offer I extend to all a.net members, first beer is always in me if you ever pass through DEN!! Just shoot me a PM ahead of time.

Hey, I never got that offer  Silly

Quoting HT (Reply 5):

Except for the fact that SLC-LAS has...ehm...nothing to see  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

HT

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):
Except for the fact that SLC-LAS has...ehm...nothing to see  

I was not stipulating to rush from SLC to LAS; if something like that would be intended, a flight into LAS would be the only logical consequence.
As the OP intended to visit several NPs, he could head for the usual spots in Southern and SE-Utah from SLC before making his way to Las Vegas ...
-HT

Transpac787

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:37 am

Hey, I never got that offer

Whatever, I SOOO did!! I said you should nonrev out here sometime!! Big grin

JAChase

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:32 pm

I would stay home if I were you. We have a lot of eurowhite planes in the states, you will be dissapointed. But if you must come, I would visit Tampa..

Dougloid

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:44 pm

What?! I did the drive in about twelve hours...other than the drive through the Rockies, and the canyon, there's not a lot to do there. Once you hit Utah, you might as well keep going all the way to Las Vegas without stopping for anything but fuel.

there's a lot to be said for honest, law abiding and modest people as most of the Saints are. Back in 1987 we were on our way, moving across country once again and while trailing down that route we spent the night in Nephi. We ate at a local place and I inadvertently left a Nikon camera on the table that was worth half a grand. The next morning I discovered my loss, went back to the cafe and they handed it to me saying "we kept it safe for you, because we knew you'd be back."

I have my doubts about that happening in most places, even my beloved Iowa.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn