Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

Tabloid: Bristol Palin And Levi Split Up

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:17 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...ol-levi-split-up-rep_n_173917.html

"Gov. Sarah Palin's office on Wednesday refused to comment on a report that Palin's daughter Bristol Palin had broken off her engagement with fiancé Levi Johnston.

According to Star magazine, 18-year-old Bristol Palin and Johnston are no longer together:
Now's Levi's sister, Mercede is telling all exclusively to Star and the picture she paints of life in Wasilla, Alaska is not a pretty one. Bristol, 18, has virtually cut Levi out of the life of their two-month-old son Tripp.
"Levi tries to visit Tripp every single day, but Bristol makes it nearly impossible. She tells him he can't take the baby to our house because she doesn't want him around 'white trash'!"
Mercede also told Star: She and Levi actually broke up a while ago!"

Okay, you'll never catch me engulfed in one of those 'Jaime Lynn Spears did this or Jessica Simpson did that' BS threads/blogs/anything. I could careless. BUT, because of the sham that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and John McCain tried to pull on the American people with her/their 'Family Values' bullcrap whipping up fervor among millions of Americans to believe that she is real deal and knows what's right and good for the country in pursuit of being a heartbeat from the nation's chief leadership role...I find her parading her family in front of the American public as a showcase model to be fair game in the realm of public scrutiny!

Palin's own anti-Sex Ed approach resulted in her own teen daughter getting knocked up becoming a high school mom (possibly twice)...making her no authority whatsoever on how to enforce or advocate 'sexual education' to anyone on the planet. Her own Anti-abortion stance has put her own child in a situation to FOREVER forfeit her life as independent teen/young adult as she must now build her life around this kid. Because of her mother..she had no choice in the matter. To cover this god-awful parenting..Palin pawned off her pregnant daughter to the American people as to say 'Look , yeah she's pregnant..BUT she's getting married..SEE? So it's okay if you have children while you're young as long as matrimony is eminent.' When the truth was, they forced their daughter and this kid (Levi) into a shotgun wedding situation in order to BS the American people to believe it was all planned from the start....which it wasn't. Only a fool would buy into the hastily arranged sham. Now emerges the truth and what looks to be the sure fire coming of an avalanche of held-back truths...look out Sarah, the chickens are coming home to roost.

For me .. the truth can't come fast enough, 1) McCain..'How could you?' 2) Sarah Palin, what may fly in Alaska won't necessarily fly for the other 49 states as a con job..you're lucky the media didn't open up both barrels on you and really 'vet' you as McCain clearly failed to do.

A few posters are going to say 'It's over, let it go and get over it'.... and to you I say ' it's decision making like yours that makes these things possible, placing the most ill-educated, reckless, extra-ordinarily unqualified people like Palin into power.' If it's only your life, knock yourself out...but for the nation, hell no! We all have a say and we want to know what we're getting in 'it's entirety'. The woman can't even run a household, and yet she's running a state and it could have been a nation? There are people that have no business whatsoever being charged with the full authority to run levels of government that involves great power..and Palin is the poster child of that statement. But there's always 2012 ..right?

Levi, thank your lucky stars if they are now running you out of the very wedding arrangements that they 'shot-gunned' you into...!

...you would have been forced to live in their shadows and in a world of irrational judgements and decision making...you're now a free man to chart your own destiny.

Oh how.. close the American people came to making a gigantic disaster...on the heels of it's 1st biggest blunder (Bush).

BN747

[Edited 2009-03-11 16:27:53]

N867DA

RE: Tabloid: Bristol Palin And Levi Split Up

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 pm

I dislike Sarah Palin...and that's putting it lightly.

I don't think abstinence only sex education is the right way to teach the subject, but it's definitely not classy to flame a poor girl with such vitriol...she's having a baby, for God's sake. This should definitely not be politicized even if poor Bristol's mother opened the door.

IHadAPheo

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:07 am

Of late we have had a quite a few moms deliver who are quite a bit younger than the "lady" in question. The number of girls in the mid teens who are having children is larger than many people think and the number who are having their second child while still in their teens shocks even an open minded old man like myself. Sadly if Bristol was not Ms. Palin's daughter she would be simply yet another teen mom struggling to raise a child.

Oh well I know there may be a member or two here wondering if Bristol likes snow-globes or likes to go bowling on a first date but I will leave those question to others...

IHAP

stasisLAX

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 am

Run, Levi! Run for your life! Get far, far away from the Palins!  scared 

Mir

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:38 am

This is Star magazine we're talking about, remember. So I wouldn't put much stock in it yet.

And even if it is true, do we really care that much?

-Mir

dtwclipper

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
This is Star magazine we're talking about, remember. So I wouldn't put much stock in it yet.

That's what I said when the Enquirer ran the story about John Edwards.

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
And even if it is true, do we really care that much?

Yes, but you read and posted here.......

787seattle

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:57 am

Quoting BN747 (Thread starter):
"Gov. Sarah Palin's office on Wednesday refused to comment on a report that Palin's daughter Bristol Palin had broken off her engagement with fiancé Levi Johnston.

Gee, I wonder why? She along with every other person's personal life shouldn't have to be invaded by the media.

WunalaYann

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:19 am

Quoting BN747 (Thread starter):
Tabloid: Bristol Palin And Levi Split Up

I am really hoping that someone soon will come up with a move-on.org website dedicated to letting the whole '08 campaign go.

Can people not let bygones be bygones?

I understand that tabloids stir the most meaningless crap at the first opportunity (and looking at their sales, no one could fault them for that), but perhaps, just maybe there could be some more pressing issues at hand...

Smile

flybyguy

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 am

I'm not surprised that this breakup took place. I feel the whole engagement was a sham to begin with especially when Palin was running for VP. The GOP probably told the boy during the height of the 2008 campaign to marry Bristol or they'll make the rest of his life a living hell. I think now that mom is out of the running for 2008, it was the perfect time to sweep this mess under the rug... well before the 2012 primaries so that if it airs then, it's old news and therefore less shock value.

Personally, I really don't care what Palin does with her family, but she's not in the greatest position to ram socially conservative values down our throats when her kids are busy making bastards.

TransIsland

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:02 am

The most disturbing thing is that my a.net experience has been plastered with Sarah Palin ads all day. I mean WTF... time to get an ad blocker.

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:35 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 7):

I am really hoping that someone soon will come up with a move-on.org website dedicated to letting the whole '08 campaign go.

Because this is precisely how you fail to detect the 'next Nixons, Trent Lotts, Ted Haggards, other scoundrels etc..' who pray that you do forget, that you do let bygones be bygones..they hope like hell that 'you forget' so that you make it easy as possible for they to hoodwink you again and slide into a position of great influence and power. This is exactly what Palin was trying to pull. She hoped no one would 'notice or catch on' to the shambles unraveling under her own home rooftop... while she was telling everyone on the campaign trail what was good for them.

When you do choose to 'forget'.. the price you or someone else pays.. can be a dear and costly one.. and to alot of people. even death. As in 4200+ US soldiers and 1000s of Iraqi civilians - in an wrongful invasion of a sovereign nation that should have never occured. Because no one cared to seriously scrutinize George W. Bush.. coming off the Clinton sex scandal...the chord was struck, 'let's get out people's personal lives, we don't need to know." ..and it proved to be a briliant ploy to and because enough was not known, we end up with a very incompetent person at the helm of the United States of America.

If I adopted your 'let bygones be bygones' attitude in my business...I'd have been out of business years ago. Running the nation is BIG business, it's no joke..thank god some voters 'do pay attention' and DON'T forget 'bygones'..so that another incompetent huckster doesn't slip their way into power.

BN747

[Edited 2009-03-11 20:47:59]

us330

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:46 am

Honestly, who cares?

Nothing illegal was done here, and Bristol herself came out against abstinence only education in an interview.
Me thinks Mama Sarah planted this story just so she could stay in the news.

WunalaYann

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 10):

If it works for you.

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 am

Bristol Palin, Levi Johnston Split Up: CONFIRMED
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...ol-levi-split-up-rep_n_173917.html

Levi Johnston and Bristol Palin, the teenage daughter of Gov. Sarah Palin, have broken off their engagement, he said Wednesday, about 2 1/2 months after the couple had a baby. Johnston, 19, told The Associated Press that he and 18-year-old Bristol Palin mutually decided "a while ago" to end their relationship.

Awhile ago???
How long ago? But the baby was born just 10 weeks ago..!

Levi: "We both love each other," he told the AP in October. "We both want to marry each other. And that's what we are going to do."

So in October when they were in love and planning a summer wedding...a month or so later before the baby was born...OR immediately afterwards...that great love quickly soured???

Who believes this nonsense??? Ephemeral Hollywood engagements/marriages last longer than this. The proof of this scam in the name of 'winning in politics' is breaking by the minute. That noise you hear is the tabloid checkbooks being slammed on the table tops.

BN747

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:52 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 12):

Quoting BN747 (Reply 10):

If it works for you.

Riiighhttt... and since you can't vote in US elections, you're one of those who could care less who get's placed where, and how..no skin off your back... hey, thanks for participating.

BN747

WunalaYann

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:22 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 14):
Riiighhttt... and since you can't vote in US elections, you're one of those who could care less who get's placed where, and how..no skin off your back... hey, thanks for participating.

That statement alone shows two things:

1) you made the terribly wrong assumption that I did not care.
2) you have no concept of the impact anything that happens in your country has on mine (and I have two countries, therefore double whammy). There is plenty of "skin off my back" depending on decisions made in your country, despite the fact that, as you said, I do not get a vote. Tough, but that is reality. Therefore I care about who gets into the White House and Congress, but much more importantly, I care about what they do once they get there. That also means that there is not much you nor I can, nor should do about people who did not get in.

Back to my original point - the election was now 5 months ago, there are heaps of very, VERY pressing issues to deal with, issues that require building consensus, reaching out to people who may not see things the same way you do, humility, hard work and a fair bit of brains.

You would do your ideals and political loyalties a favour by moving on from what was a highly fractitious process (the campaign), towards things that actually have a chance of improving the situation in your country (and in mine, by the same token).

Good luck.

Smile

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 15):
Therefore I care about who gets into the White House and Congress, but much more importantly, I care about what they do once they get there. That also means that there is not much you nor I can, nor should do about people who did not get in.

That....and this..

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 7):

Fly into complete contradiction with one another..esp. your sentence here "That also means that there is not much you nor I can, nor should do about people who did not get in."

...and with that being the stone cold truth, that is all the more important that we pay close attention to what ALMOST happened in 2008 as you wish be forgotten. You're lucky, you didn't live here under the Geo. Bush. I remember people calling the police on a guy showing aviation videos at an Airliners convention after 9/11...the police. We became a nation so scared that we were reduced down to calling the police on everyone..we came pretty damn close to being the Soviet Union of 1960 where citizens are all spying on one another out of sheer fear. Not to mention the near-Nazi treatment at airports vs actual application of smart intelligence in rooting out threatening fliers. Incompetent leaders use 'citizens in fear' like no one's business. Palin knows full of what she is..and what she isn't. But this thread is about how she attempted to use her daughter (and a bad situation) to snow the American people that she knew 'the right way of Family Values' .. that she can lead the way. She and her means of doing things are now being exposed.

Back to my original point - the election was now 5 months ago, there are heaps of very, VERY pressing issues to deal with, issues that require building consensus, reaching out to people who may not see things the same way you do, humility, hard work and a fair bit of brains.

And right now, March 10 2009 A group of Connecticut Republicans have gotten out in front for the 2012 presidential election, officially filing the first official documents with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) to draft Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) into the race.

The "2012 Draft Sarah Palin Committee" is the first to have filed papers with the FEC, one of the group's organizers told the Associated Press. The group's first meeting will be held Tuesday in Connecticut.

If we do as you say and 'forget and let bygones be bygones'... and pretend that 2008 McCain/Palin never happened. We set the stage for another incompetent soul to con a large number of the American public to continue and extend the divisiveness that has polarized this nation so dangerously. And Palin was a lightning rod for polarization...a person who handles her child's pregnancy in this manner for political gain and thinks she's gotten away with it and then has her eyes ablaze as she whips up a crowd with divisive and hate-filled rhetoric to further that gain..she's begins to see there's no end to what she can get away with.

You would do your ideals and political loyalties a favour by moving on from what was a highly fractitious process (the campaign), towards things that actually have a chance of improving the situation in your country (and in mine, by the same token).

And being vigilant of the past keeps it from re-occuring in the future. Humans are desperately weak at defending 'their history' from returning to repeat itself.

BN747

jfk69

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 16):
We became a nation so scared that we were reduced down to calling the police on everyone..we came pretty damn close to being the Soviet Union of 1960 where citizens are all spying on one another out of sheer fear. Not to mention the near-Nazi treatment at airports vs actual application of smart intelligence in rooting out threatening fliers. Incompetent leaders use 'citizens in fear' like no one's business. Palin knows full of what she is..and what she isn't. But this thread is about how she attempted to use her daughter (and a bad situation) to snow the American people that she knew 'the right way of Family Values' .. that she can lead the way. She and her means of doing things are now being exposed

First off, stop painting America as a scared and pathetic society. They way you just described it, we have been locked in our homes by the government scared to make a move for fear that big brother will come and slap us across our ass.

"Near Nazi Treatment at the airport"....Give me a break. I hate the incompetent TSA as much as anybody....its 2 minutes of your time though. You atake your shoes off...you go through, if you beep and they pull you aside and it is an extra 2 minutes of your time. Is TSA making us wear yellow stars and killing???

As for Palin, as has been said before. MOVE ON! This attenpt at a politician failed. She is not in the mainstream right now. Until she decides to run again (officially) just give it up.

The economy is in the shitter, People are shooting up Alabama, and you keep bring up sarah Palins daughter is not getting married...........Jeez.

us330

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Not to mention the near-Nazi treatment at airports vs actual application of smart intelligence in rooting out threatening fliers

Godwin's law strikes again! We have a winner!
And it only took 16 posts...

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 17):
First off, stop painting America as a scared and pathetic society. They way you just described it, we have been locked in our homes by the government scared to make a move for fear that big brother will come and slap us across our ass.

Haha...1st off, I don't know too many people who are afraid of a 'slap across the ass'. Secondly, no, you're right, 'the home of the brave' did become 'a a scared and pathetic society'..go back and read all the post from our non-american A.net members and their observations of our behavior under the Bush/Cheney reign...count how many 'frightened and ultra-paranoid' labels that were tossed our way. And Bush/Cheny loved that we were locked in a 'keep us safe Pres. Bush' (false security) mode. Don't even make point out how bogus that was, Yes, we became a nation frightened 'of our own shadows', ready to call the cops on anyone for slightest hint they might be different or unusual. Thanks, JFK69 for the proof of when you adopt a 'Move On' attitude...you forget. You set yourself up for it to happen again and again...and again. Each time worse than the time before. We learn absolutely nothing from 'moving on'.

"Near Nazi Treatment at the airport"....Give me a break. I hate the incompetent TSA as much as anybody....its 2 minutes of your time though. You atake your shoes off...you go through, if you beep and they pull you aside and it is an extra 2 minutes of your time. Is TSA making us wear yellow stars and killing??

Not sure which airport you're talkin' about..but IF ONLY it took 4 mins to wade thru that 'joke' of an excuse called security. It's a farce and a charade at best, and most seasoned travelers or people who work around airports know it is. The American people deserved better...and won't get it until they wise up instead 'just going along' as you suggest.

As for Palin, as has been said before. MOVE ON! This attenpt at a politician failed. She is not in the mainstream right now. Until she decides to run again (officially) just give it up.

And as I said above, those with the 'move on' solution end up making others pay dearly for their lack of learning from mistakes. I don't know about about you, but if a friend cheats me, it's virtually impossible for that person to ever regain my trust again. If a business assoc or prospective counterpart in a deal does the same.that person/entity has a badge of distrust is now permanently attached to them. When a politician gets exposed as a fraud or caught trying to pull a con job on the American people or any people of any nation..they earn a stench that's nearly impossible to shed or wash away. But being career politicians they keep hammering away at trying to re-brand and repackaging themselves in the hopes of finding people who 'move on' so they can slip thru the cracks again. Luckily, a good deal of us resist that silly 'move on' (and forget it) approach..and are there to remind them who they are at every turn. Sorry, no....I won't follow you down that 'move on' lane of forgetfulness. I choose to go down path of 'learning from history...and not forgetting it, esp. the bad parts.

The economy is in the shitter, People are shooting up Alabama, and you keep bring up sarah Palins daughter is not getting married...........Jeez.

I keep bring it up??? What this my second Sarah Palin thread related thread...and I keep bringing up it? The way you've stated that sounds as if you're got a personal issue with me and my dislike of this slick, family-pimping, sly con-artist of a politician. Okay, it's crystal clear you do, might I suggest continue reading my posts if discomfort and uneasiness is your thing, because I (and many others here) will keep the spotlight on this particular politician (and others) who wish they could only remain in the news in a positive light..but not when their half-baked schemes start to fall apart and return to explode in their face like this one. I'm afraid my friend, this avalanche called Palin is only just starting to crack...there's more to come, ....a whole lot more.

Luckily, there's room on this board to discuss the bad economy, the Alabama shooting, the German shooting, whether Geithner is right or wrong, would you hit it - version -gay and straight', Formula 1, word games, take your pick of a senseless subject, etc... please try to stop forcing what you feel people should discuss on me. I got an idea..why you pick the threads you want to discuss and participate in, and I'll do the same...sounds fair right?

BN747

[Edited 2009-03-12 13:18:06]

WunalaYann

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm

As I said, if it works for you. Your priorities.

kmh1956

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm...... Nope, I can't even act surprised.

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:55 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 20):

As I said, if it works for you. Your priorities.

Keeping an eye on politicians who selectively decide to keep America in a divided state is worth paying attention to and not letting them be forgotten is a very high priority..I, my family, my friends could be one day be subject to laws, issues, viewpoints they hold dear to them - everyone else be damned. Yes it does work for me as well as those with an above average appreciation for history - good and bad.

BN747

jfk69

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 19):
'the home of the brave' did become 'a a scared and pathetic society'..go back and read all the post from our non-american A.net members and their observations of our behavior under the Bush/Cheney reign...count how many 'frightened and ultra-paranoid' labels that were tossed our way. And Bush/Cheny loved that we were locked in a 'keep us safe Pres. Bush' (false security) mode. Don't even make point out how bogus that was, Yes, we became a nation frightened 'of our own shadows', ready to call the cops on anyone for slightest hint they might be different or unusual. Thanks, JFK69 for the proof of when you adopt a 'Move On' attitude...you forget. You set yourself up for it to happen again and again...and again. Each time worse than the time before. We learn absolutely nothing from 'moving on'.

There is a difference when you have a move on attitude for something that directly affects you and when you have a move on attitude for something that has zero to do with you. Did the scared mindset that the Bush/Cheney administration affect you? If it did I apologize, but I lived my life the in the year 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08 without them putting the fear into me. In regards to 9/11, I am not someone who thinks that "this can't happen to me, I am invincible". I am the farthest from that. I looked at a Arabs in certain areas the same way before 9/11 and the same way afterward (This could be because of my travels in Israel). But I live my life.

Not sure which airport you're talkin' about..but IF ONLY it took 4 mins to wade thru that 'joke' of an excuse called security. It's a farce and a charade at best, and most seasoned travelers or people who work around airports know it is. The American people deserved better...and won't get it until they wise up instead 'just going along' as you suggest.

I agreed that the TSA was a joke, but the way you paint the picture was just ridiculous. I travel between 50-60k miles a year. I know these boobs have no idea what they are doing. But to compare them to Nazi's? You make a great perk for foreigners to come and see.

I keep bring it up??? What this my second Sarah Palin thread related thread...and I keep bringing up it? The way you've stated that sounds as if you're got a personal issue with me and my dislike of this slick, family-pimping, sly con-artist of a politician. Okay, it's crystal clear you do, might I suggest continue reading my posts if discomfort and uneasiness is your thing, because I (and many others here) will keep the spotlight on this particular politician (and others) who wish they could only remain in the news in a positive light..but not when their half-baked schemes start to fall apart and return to explode in their face like this one. I'm afraid my friend, this avalanche called Palin is only just starting to crack...there's more to come, ....a whole lot more.

Luckily, there's room on this board to discuss the bad economy, the Alabama shooting, the German shooting, whether Geithner is right or wrong, would you hit it - version -gay and straight', Formula 1, word games, take your pick of a senseless subject, etc... please try to stop forcing what you feel people should discuss on me. I got an idea..why you pick the threads you want to discuss and participate in, and I'll do the same...sounds fair right?

Your right, I shouldn't tell you what you should or should not discuss. I am someone who does not post often as you can see but I peek around. I know that certain people will always be involved in certain posts. I know if we are talking about the government watching over us, Blackbird will be involved, I know that if we are talking about Israel then OA260 will be there against it, and I know that if sarah palin is there....well here comes BN747. Post a little more in other threads, its good for you.

And until Palin has any movement in then next election....should we really give a damn about Levi Johnston? Should we?

Flighty

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 3):
Run, Levi! Run for your life! Get far, far away from the Palins!

I was thinking you meant he should run for governor. He's probably as well qualified as the current one. Plus, he has experience has a hockey player.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 23):
Did the scared mindset that the Bush/Cheney administration affect you? If it did I apologize,

Dude, you in no way owe me nor anyone else any kind of an apology for the crap Bush/Cheney pulled on the nation. Yes it affected me, for some who travel like you (or myself)..their 'us against them' mentality/mantra had an immediate affect on Americans who travel abroad and enjoy representing the best face of Americans while being abroad. Sure, we 'aren't' the gov't per se..but like it or not, in the mix abroad when talking to someone it now becomes 'your gov't'..you can say I didn't vote for him or my views are diff. -- whatever, all you want... it doesn't matter in the slightest..you're now fighting against an imagine created by someone who'd never been abroad on their entire life (then Bush). We've seen Palin's 'international' experience (or lack thereof)... who wants that kind of person setting the tone for how you'll be received when abroad...Again? Right now whether you support Obama or not, virtually anywhere on earth you go...his representation translates to you ... Mr. Visting American.. in the most positive light ever! That wasn't the case under Bush/Cheney at all...just the complete opposite! Palin promised more of the same. If I lived my life like some people - going to work, K-mart, watching WWF, Nascar and that's it..what do you care what the world thinks of you and America? I can see blindly supporting Bush/Cheney style ramshodding over the globe without consequence -- without question.

They're cramping of the press to 'project' the US a certain way re:Iraq in the beginning was insulting to say the least...all the way down to the airport nonsense to ease-dropping and privacy violations..no businessman likes this BS under the pretense 'we're protecting you'. To me personally, America sets forth the best model of modern gov't that presides over a nation of people ever. So many nations are striving to get where we are, to become 'a land that anything is possible' ... only this course of action will lead to true global understanding and less violent confrontation. To perfect that model ...should remain our goal. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of all the violent leaders and warlords that must be dealt with and taken down - violently (because it is all they understand)? But there's a way to do .. see Milosevic vs Saddam. Trusting an idiot like Palin (based on how she manages situations - aka judgement) with such leadership makes guessing the options considered.. incredibly easy.

but I lived my life the in the year 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08 without them putting the fear into me.

I'm not sure individually how many of us were 'scared, in fear - running around pointing out neighbors and passesby as 'he's a terrorist'.. but collectively, the damage was done...we were all mentally scarred by Bush/Cheney's handling of this situation. We were all on planes looking at people with distrust. We were landing flights because a smell wasn't right...turns out a woman was farting. Disrupting other flights because a family didn't look right..or safe for boarding. This mentality set in motion by our leaders is a very dangerous state of mind. And they took no responsibility for it's failures. Just more phony security. I saw too many very good hard working people leave the country because they could not bear the hard stares from white, black, brown and yellow Americans who'd been their neighbors for years. Their children taunted in schools and on playgrounds. That's the effects of collective fear. Divisive spirited people (in the name of politics) like Palin have no problem with this at all..her mouth proved that at the RNC convention. Her hand in her pregnent teen's affair is a excellent barometer of how she'll bend and craft situations to get the outcome she believes is right..regardless of her daughters desires and wishes. Leaders like Palin..are simply something America cannot afford ever again.

In regards to 9/11, I am not someone who thinks that "this can't happen to me, I am invincible". I am the farthest from that. I looked at a Arabs in certain areas the same way before 9/11 and the same way afterward (This could be because of my travels in Israel).

As is with many people...unfortunately, MOST americans don't or haven't traveled abroad. An non-traveled person like Palin just simply isn't going to view arabs like you because her exposure isn't remotely as close to yours. And to me...that's dangerous for a leadership position (within a global superpower).

I agreed that the TSA was a joke, but the way you paint the picture was just ridiculous. I travel between 50-60k miles a year. I know these boobs have no idea what they are doing. But to compare them to Nazi's? You make a great perk for foreigners to come and see

Perhaps, but you also know that biggest and still under defended threat comes not where the TSA is posted .. but perimeters, rampside and all the loop-holes on the otherside of the terminal. Which isn't news to the gov't..but it's done nothing to shore up those weaknesses. It just keeps up the charades at the gates. There really isn't that much difference from the 1936 Nazi state (as far as travel goes) and what we have here in the US today.

I know that certain people will always be involved in certain posts. I know if we are talking about the government watching over us, Blackbird will be involved, I know that if we are talking about Israel then OA260 will be there against it, and I know that if sarah palin is there....well here comes BN747. Post a little more in other threads, its good for you.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a big poster in threads outside of politics (Palin included of course), airline-related, science, religion, social issues, computers...I'm not trying to win any honors of racking up post. I don't even have the time to read all those threads .. let alone post in them. Yes, where some us reply is very predictable. As well as how some of us will respond/reply. It also gets kind annoying seeing certain people who reply in every thread, on every subject.. but I respect their right and desire to do so..and would never jump in and blast them for it.. it isn't my place nor is it my business what they do, that's freedom for ya, until A.net restricts the # of post you can reply to...they have every right to do so.

And until Palin has any movement in then next election....should we really give a damn about Levi Johnston? Should we?

Levi isn't the issue really..neither is Palin's daughter - Bristol... tragically they are unwilling players on the political scene because that sorry excuse of a mother, Palin herself dragged them into it for personal gain! Bristol and Levi are to be pitied for what they are being put through right now.Both lead by their noses and tied to Palin's very personal views on pre-marital sex, sex-ed, family values and built a campaign upon it...for her to do this and have a complete mess of a family situation on her hands and under her roof... is the height of hypocrisy. Had she stayed in Alaska with all that...I seriously don't think I would have cared...but when McCain made her a national figure and she took the baton at full force saying 'trust me'...ummm hell no, not til' I know who we're dealing with here. And the rest is history..a history not to be forgotten as long as she remains a threat to the return of the Bush/Cheney mentailty. So, yes, unfortunately, for the short term Levi Johnston is tied to this political tragedy until he ..of his own free will breaks away and declares himself so. I say let the guy go in peace...but knowing human nature, he too will eventually attempt to establish his own 15 mins of fame by telling his side of the story..and people are going be intrigued, and listen.

BN747

[Edited 2009-03-12 19:54:20]

767Lover

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Wow, dude. Breathe and reboot.

Don't you think you're overreacting just a little bit? Nobody tried to cover up anything, nor was this a sham.

Why are your panties in such a bunch?

If you were talking about SP being caught in a three-way with the pastor and a lesbian down the street, then you have a point. But we're talking about BP, not SP, and BP never said she agreed with abstinence (she has been vocal in saying it is unrealistic to expect total abstinence from teenagers). Just because this is her mother's platform doesn't mean the kid is going to live a perfect life. She never promised anything.

As for the breakup-- she's 18, basically still a child in this society. 18 year old hormonal teenagers change their minds with the wind. They were "in love" (or thought they were) and now they aren't. You can't paint this as some conspiracy to boost her mother's career.

As for "parading her family around." Should they have hidden Bristol and pretended like she didn't exist? Would that have been better? It seemed that everything was brought out into the open with honesty. Plus, is a child not allowed to show support for a parent even if they disagree with them?

Your energy would be better spent warning against groups like Westboro Baptist and their ilk. Those people are truly dangerous.

The level of hysteria you have displayed in this thread unfortunately buries any valid points you might have within. We go from a kid breaking up with her baby-papa to a Nazi-esque society?

*I am not a SP supporter, I'm just being objective here.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 26):
Don't you think you're overreacting just a little bit? Nobody tried to cover up anything, nor was this a sham.

*I am not a SP supporter, I'm just being objective here.

And unrealistically so, of course a politician found guilty by by her peers as being abusive with her authority (Troopergate) in a way that proves 'childlike reckless behavior' in execution of judgement...wouldn't dare engineers and push use of the "but their in love and they're getting married' charade to mask the deadly political appearance of 'it's okay for me to do it..but not you J. Q public..(permitting the one thing while you're publicly bashing it).

We go from a kid breaking up with her baby-papa to a Nazi-esque society?

Two different things.

And explained in great detail as two different things yet bonded by the unique one person and their use of subterfuge in covering up the embarrassing 'teen pregnancy/having a kid/split up - and explaining it'. as a pattern indicative of the type of person who would ... without question 'make worse the social conditions' of this nation' were she permitted access to power. If you're an employee..your boss uses 'how you'd handle a simple/non-related incident or task ...to judge your ability to handle a direct and much job related position (of authority). I couldn't be clearer on the matter.

BN747

767Lover

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 27):
use of subterfuge in covering up the embarrassing 'teen pregnancy/having a kid/split up - and explaining it'. as a pattern indicative of the type of person who would .

But what was covered up? What subterfuge?

Nobody hid BP away while she was pregnant...it was revealed and owned up to. Later, they broke up, and it was revealed so (reports said BP was devastated by the breakup so maybe she didn't want it announced to the world right away...would you? Maybe she hoped they'd get back together...maybe there were other reasons involved.) nobody is hiding anything.

Would you prefer BP and Levi stay together and be miserable so that there would be no implied hypocrisy?

I agree there are problems with SP but your hysteria about this one issue is overshadowing any valid points you might have about her.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 28):

But what was covered up? What subterfuge?

The obvious...that is if you're capable of spotting humans trying escape a monumental embarrassing situation when they find themselves standing dead center of one ..all humans re-act one way..or the other. They either make no apologies and own up..or they lie to mask being exposed as frauds. Sarah Palin chose the latter, in order to keep the appearance of non-contradictory with her own policies/standing on a vitally important political issue.

Nobody hid BP away while she was pregnant...it was revealed and owned up to.

Without question...

...it was what was said/explained by Sarah Palin (deciding for Bristol) afterwards that created the maelstrom of skepticism that ensued questioning her motives. Most people can tell when they're 'being hustled and being told a lie' at the expense of 'appearance sake'...

Later, they broke up, and it was revealed so (reports said BP was devastated by the breakup so maybe she didn't want it announced to the world right away...would you?

Again, that's just the way to spin of story of 'my daughter go pregnant by another teen'
..but, but, but don't be judgmental! They are in love!!! They are getting married...! A few months after a losing campaign...'Okay everyone, they are not in love, they aren't getting married... Again, not rocket science at what went on here...especially when the parents are doing ALL the talking...and not the kids themselves.

Maybe she hoped they'd get back together...maybe there were other reasons involved.) nobody is hiding anything.

Otherv reasons??? Maybe the political reasons are plain as day...it was to most, if you go back and look, you'll see that most people predicted this very outcome from the very first excuse given. But a nothing wrong with being hopeless romantic..just know that most people did not buy it..this very small story was the very beginning of 'doubt' about Sarah Palin's trust/can-you-believe-her issues...

,,again, nothing wrong with all your maybees

Would you prefer BP and Levi stay together and be miserable so that there would be no implied hypocrisy?

I would prefer the ONE mother not drag Bristol and Levi onto the world stage with their person problems AT ALL. But because the ONE MOTHER was running for a national office, she worried that the judgment of her own child's situation would reflect on the judgment of herself personally...so she choose to 'make her kid a public spectacle.'

I agree there are problems with SP but your hysteria about this one issue is overshadowing any valid points you might have about her.

You're entitled to your opinion. But when I see the same characteristics and personal traits in a up-and-coming person.. seeking to (indirectly) replace an costly and error-proned President as Geo. W. Bush...the hysteria, the panic and any other kind of button you can think of....should be pushed.

BN747

kmh1956

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 pm

and BP never said she agreed with abstinence

I would think that her baby would be absolute proof of that.

UAL747

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:43 pm

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Palin's need to give up on politics, as they are obviously not quite suited for it, and let MTV do a reality TV show on them.

I think Palin's career is pretty much ruined after '08 whether that be her fault or the media's fault.....

Plus, what does an Alaskan governor make? Didn't "The Osbourne's" come out making at least 100 Million after their reality show? I mean, this is what Hollywood trash TV is made of! Forget the "Kardashians" lets see "The Palin's" They will no longer be considered "white trash" because they will have enough money to overcome that status, and plus, they won't have to use taxpayer money to purchase "the look" they all want.

Though, in order to do this, we need to see some cussing and sex, and perhaps one of the boys in a playgirl add or something, and of course, they need to bring Levi and his family back into it, just for color, and Levi really isn't hard on the eyes either. He ought to do a nude spread...I mean, the dynasty is just waiting to happen, if someone will get the guts to do it!

UAL

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:31 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 31):
I think Palin's career is pretty much ruined after '08 whether that be her fault or the media's fault.....

I'm afraid it is of her very own doing...

You CANNOT be espousing such views at..

'Abstinence over Sex Education'

'No Abortions'

'I really know Family Values'

(the medie did none of this...this was all Sarah Palin)

...then your own kid shows up pregnant without even finishing high school. People want to know..is this a direct result of your ' 'Abstinence over Sex Education'???

Rightwing/Evangelicals -- "Pregenant teens aren't quite what we had in mind as far as family values" concerned...

...ummm if you're our leader, you need to get your house in order sister cuz it's in shambles! You cannot run our government anything like you're running your household..."

Nope..that's all Palin, not the media.

Or the question becomes..do's it not matter what one seeking higher office does in his/her own home, essentially, can you have a standard for everyone else, but a different one for you and your family?

BN747

keesje

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:35 pm

I think the ROW wondered
- why an accepatble guy like McCain accepted an un acceptable VP like Palin.
- Why Palin got the support she got

Then we weren't that surprised after
- G W Bush was re-elected
- it became more an more clear, xenophobia and christian fundamentalism got a hold on a significant part of the electorate.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Quoting Keesje (Reply 33):
I think the ROW wondered
- why an accepatble guy like McCain accepted an un acceptable VP like Palin.

Easy one. It was a high risk gamble and McCain was desperate.

- Why Palin got the support she got

You answered it right here...

- it became more an more clear, xenophobia and christian fundamentalism got a hold on a significant part of the electorate.

That's exactly who came out of the woodwork for Palin (plus all those white males who are Milf Porn fans, permitting sexual libido to override common sense).

Palin played the easiest and worst political hand one could choose...the one that appeals to the worse in us all no matter which nation we live in...our lowest common denominator- hatred and division. It work every time...and she when for it.

Then we weren't that surprised after
- G W Bush was re-elected

Re-elected? Depends on who you ask..but that's another thread
The last statement...right on point!

BN747

Starbuk7

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 29):
I would prefer the ONE mother not drag Bristol and Levi onto the world stage with their person problems AT ALL. But because the ONE MOTHER was running for a national office, she worried that the judgment of her own child's situation would reflect on the judgment of herself personally...so she choose to 'make her kid a public spectacle.'

The LIBERAL MEDIA dragged the whole family onto the stage, had nothing to do with the just SP.

With the way you have been ranting it sounds like you have been watching too many soap operas in the afternoons. I agree with 767Lover, just let it go.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 35):

The LIBERAL MEDIA dragged the whole family onto the stage, had nothing to do with the just SP.

So saids you and Rush Limbaugh

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 35):
With the way you have been ranting it sounds like you have been watching too many soap operas in the afternoons. I agree with 767Lover, just let it go.

Please, the dangers of listening to you 'let it go' types has been well established and it is certainly advice not worth listening to ...thanks, but no thanks, but feel free 'let it go' til your heart's content.

BN747

[Edited 2009-03-16 12:07:59]

Starbuk7

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 pm

So, if picking on a couple of 18 year old's that decided not to get married is your definition of saving the country from unspeakable evil, then you can have it.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 36):
So saids you and Rush Limbaugh

I personally don't know or care what Rush said about it, I know from watching the whole fiasco the as soon as SP was announced that the media was all over anything the she or her family had done as far back as they could find, and you know that is a FACT.

JakeOrion

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:26 pm

This isn't even about politics anymore. Thread is about pure hatred, and its extremely sad. Sad that we, as human society, have come to this. Makes me embarrassed being a human being now.

767Lover

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 32):
...ummm if you're our leader, you need to get your house in order sister cuz it's in shambles! You cannot run our government anything like you're running your household..."

Quoting BN747 (Reply 32):
Or the question becomes..do's it not matter what one seeking higher office does in his/her own home, essentially, can you have a standard for everyone else, but a different one for you and your family?

Then you must be equally concerned about Stamford mayor Dan Malloy running for CT governor. After all, he chided the current governor about a lack of attention on reducing crime, yet his son has been arrested for armed robbery (after a previous arrest for selling drugs).

Or does Malloy get a pass because he's 1) a Democrat, and specifically 2) not Sarah Palin?

The point is that many politicians have less than perfect families even if their platforms make it appear differently. If you are going to have these standards then be consistent about it.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 37):
I personally don't know or care what Rush said about it, I know from watching the whole fiasco the as soon as SP was announced that the media was all over anything the she or her family had done as far back as they could find, and you know that is a FACT.

By all means rent, download anything and everything you get your hands on that replays 'As soon as Sarah Palin was announced' as you say, it didn't go down anywhere near what you say you remember. Which explains the 'forget and let it go' stance you embrace so dearly.
When Palin was announced (all..and I do mean ALL media) made her the 'Media Darling de Jour', hell she even helped McCain surpass Obama's lead in the polls for the very 1st and only time. After her division speech at the RNC...that's when the scrutiny came..and tragically (for her) .. it was the speech that drew attention to areas she didn't want exposed..the rest is all down hill.

See what 'forget it and let it go' does to your memory..it makes you remember - absolutely nothing. I don't know what you were watching..but it certainly wasn't what the rest of the world was watching.

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 38):
This isn't even about politics anymore. Thread is about pure hatred, and its extremely sad. Sad that we, as human society, have come to this. Makes me embarrassed being a human being now.

Whatever you do...DO NOT watch the movie 'Untraceable'...if this subject makes you embarrassed about our species, that film (yes it's only a movie..but one that reflects the true depths to which humans will sink & mind you, it's not what the antagonist does, it's what 'us humans' on the sidelines [with mouse & keyboards] do..) will drive you to see a shrink at the very least and at it's worse..I don't even want to say the word.

BN747

[Edited 2009-03-16 13:02:33]

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 39):

Then you must be equally concerned about Stamford mayor Dan Malloy running for CT governor. After all, he chided the current governor about a lack of attention on reducing crime, yet his son has been arrested for armed robbery (after a previous arrest for selling drugs).

Or does Malloy get a pass because he's 1) a Democrat, and specifically 2) not Sarah Palin?

WHO???

I'm in Calif. why on earth would I care about what Connecticut does? Look at my grips about Arnold whe he bamboozled his way into the Gov's chair. When Palin became and had been Gov of Alaska..I could careless. I read all the threads here on A.net about how 'hot' some here thought she was..but I didn't contribute nor should I on Connecticut.

But address your point, the Conn. Gov (Dem or Rep) should he same treatment as ex-Florida Gov. Jeb Bush got when his daughter was running around and getting busted for being a crackhead. Ummm nothing, Bush escaped upcathed.

But your point of trying to make a drug-nut kid of an official the EQUAL to Palin's 'can't-keep-her-panties' daughter...you've failed. Why?

Because the issue and area of concern is NOT only keeping your house in order..but it's also what you do before that weakness is exposed.

I don't know if the Conn. Gov. ran a campaign on 'Family Values, Zero-drug tolerance, etc...' if he did and his kid's involved in what you say he is...then by all means throw the 'hate-Palin' sermon in his direction too. This is where Palin buys the farm (again)...all her Family Values, Anti-Sex Ed, Pro-Abstinence, Anti-abortion stances where part of here political diatribe...and guess what? It all came back and bit her right in the ass in the form of an underage pregnant daughter -- at the worse possible moment. So again, did the Conn. Gov do the exact same thing? Or does he have just some typical drug crazed teen on his hands?

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 39):

The point is that many politicians have less than perfect families even if their platforms make it appear differently. If you are going to have these standards then be consistent about it.

Absolutely, but notice when you run for a national office...the scrutiny magnifying glass is 1000 % bigger than running for local or state. Wouldn't you agree?

BN747

allstarflyer

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 am

Yes, we became a nation frightened 'of our own shadows', ready to call the cops on anyone for slightest hint they might be different or unusual.

I've been in the airline industry for several years, even pre-dating 9/11, and having traveled all over the country - some (not most, though) people may have been like that for the 1st year, and fewer into the 2nd, but that hasn't been a widespread issue for quite awhile.

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:01 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 44):
I've been in the airline industry for several years, even pre-dating 9/11, and having traveled all over the country - some (not most, though) people may have been like that for the 1st year, and fewer into the 2nd, but that hasn't been a widespread issue for quite awhile.

Very True Allstar, it subsided exactly as you've stated.. but regardless, a lot of people (die-hard supporters excluded of course) 'felt' that Bush/Cheney was a regime that 'got off' on 'terror alert/red/orange/green, etc... many began to sense that these people enjoyed having us in semi-scared state. Paranoid of 'people who don't look like you' or what an 'American should look like'. I think given how Cheney talks to this day...they milked the 'terror' thing til the last drop. He was a VP that virtually no one trusted anything he said or his motives.

If you notice, I don't think there are too many people today get that vibe from Obama, there seems to be a relief that the leadership is one that doesn't continuously shout out 'The terrorists are still coming, but don't worry, we'll protect you....but look out' ... if you repeat it long enough..it begins to sound like a mobster extorting 'protection money' from a street-corner
Ma n' Pa grocer somewhere. They had to constantly remind you that we're in a state of danger. It subsided (I think) not because Bush/Cheney did anythinh whatsoever to protect anyone..(remember that pvt plane that slammed into a NYC apartment tower..hell, that plane could have been loaded with C4..and what would Bush/Cheney explanation for lack of protection against that one? -- there is none, because you can't) ...I think people started to realize we've been taken for a bit of ride by these guys. And my problem with Palin and her speech at the RNC proved it..) she's the type easily employ manipulating people's fears for personal or political gain.

Palin was in a tough spot, self-created mind you..she built a bridge out of 'Family Values, Anti-Sex Ed, Pro-Abstinence, Anti-abortion '.... and when her own teen daughter showed up pregnant..she had to now stand on that bridge... now a very very shaky bridge. She had to make a choice. Be silent (and run the risk of the public/media saying 'A-HA! Gotcha)...or acknowledge it publicly (and how it goes against all her beliefs) -- which she did. Which now left everyone someone stunned as to whether, Bristol's decision to keep the baby was her very own..or was her mother forcing her decision on this kid to remain consistent with her own beliefs. We'll never know the truth. Now how to clean it up a little, Palin quickly announce's 'daughter is also 'in love & getting married' in what appeared to be a hastily arranged marriage.as Levi's own myspace paged said he's nowhere near the marrying type..if he wrote that, that flies right into the face of what Palin had just annouced. Which now lead everyone to believe that Palin had forced this whole thing on these two kids to some how limit the damage to her own 'political standing'...now we find out, it appears the skeptics were right..they weren't love, there was no real marriage of their choosing..we were taken for a ride. Palin will return in 2010 or 2012 in some shape or form..and all of this is going to come storming back with her. For me, the above episode showed the true nature of this kind of person...that she'd choose to 'use her kids' if it gets her what she's after. And when if fails, she cuts the ropes.

But politics is a nasty business..poor Levi was just too young and too naive to catch on in time...but he really didn't have much choice in the matter, did he? I mean with his mom being one of the town largest Crystal-Meth producers...he could do the math, he knew Palin had the power to come down on them very hard, if he refused to go along with the wedding/marriage charade...so he did what he thought was best.

BN747

allstarflyer

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:15 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 46):
poor Levi was just too young and too naive to catch on in time...but he really didn't have much choice in the matter, did he?

He could've kept his snake in the cage.  scratchchin 

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:07 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 47):
He could've kept his snake in the cage.

Well (lol) yeah ... but to be fair ... that applies to all of us, it just comes to a roll of the dice in that department. And not be sexist...Bristol could have just kept her legs closed OR ignored her mom and snuck into the sex-education classes at Wasilla High and learned a thing or two.

BN747

767Lover

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:29 pm

BN747

There are some facts you need to consider before going off half-cocked about Sarah Palin's stance on sex ed. If this is simply about not liking SP that is fine but if you are trying to paint her as some sort of anti sex ed radical you need to have your facts straight.

If she were so anti-sex ed, why hasn't she followed the lead of many other states and made sex-ed, with a stress on abstinence, mandatory throughout Alaska? As it stands, it is up to the school districts to decide whether to and how to implement sex ed.

Conversely, 23 states require that abstinence (vs. contraception) be stressed when sex education is taught. These are not all Bible-Belt states either. These include Oregon, Illinois (which doesn't even require that contraception be covered at all), Washington, Hawaii, Michigan, Maine, Wisconsin, Colorado.

In terms of STD/HIV education, 26 states require that abstinence be stressed over contraception. New York and Pennsylvania are both on this list.

Going back to Alaska, that state performs pretty well in terms of making contraception available to women (including teens). According to the Guttmacher Institute, Alaska ranks #1 in the following areas:

* service availability—how well the states meet existing need for subsidized contraceptive services and supplies;

* public funding—the extent to which they devote their own revenues, and leverage potential federal dollars, to support the delivery of publicly supported contraceptive services and supplies.

And it ranked 14th among states in terms of laws and policies—whether their laws and policies are likely to facilitate access to contraceptive services and information.

Scores on all three indicators were aggregated, and an overall rank was assigned to each state. Alaska ended up ranking #2 among states.

Here's how your state, CA, fared:

* 15th in service availability;
* 1st in laws and policies; (so the laws and policies are there, but service availability isn't as great...so what's the point?)
* 8th in public funding; and
* 1st overall.

Furthermore, 21 states and the District of Columbia explicitly allow all minors to consent to contraceptive services. Alaska is one of them. With no restriction (i.e., CT requires the minor to be married.)

If you are worried about the future impact of abstinence education in the US, you have a lot of legislators to worry about getting in power besides SP.

Sources:

State sex ed policies: Go to http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/index.html and click on the PDF for Sex and STI/HIV Education

Contraception information by state: http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/ccfs.html

Contraception consent: http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/adolescents.html

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 46):
There are some facts you need to consider before going off half-cocked about Sarah Palin's stance on sex ed. If this is simply about not liking SP that is fine but if you are trying to paint her as some sort of anti sex ed radical you need to have your facts straight.

If she were so anti-sex ed, why hasn't she followed the lead of many other states and made sex-ed, with a stress on abstinence, mandatory throughout Alaska?

I'll let Palin answer...

Palin answered: “Under this hypothetical scenario, it would not be up to the governor to unilaterally ban anything. It would be up to the people of Alaska to discuss and decide how we would like our society to reflect our values.”

That's from this article below...

Basically, she cannot push her beliefs unilaterally as gov. but as VP or POTUS..she could whip up a firestorm of her Evangelical beliefs because the national support system is already in place and waiting.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/where-p...-really-stands-on-sex-education/2/

Running for governor of Alaska in 2006, Sarah Palin filled out a questionnaire that asked if she’d support funding for abstinence-until-marriage programs instead of “explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?”

Palin wrote, “Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.”

Now if read the article when called on it...Palin flips 180 degrees when asked about it on a radio station interview.

Sarah Palin's 9 Most Disturbing Beliefs
http://www.alternet.org/story/97907/...alin's_9_most_disturbing_beliefs/

1. Despite problems at home, Sarah Palin does not believe in giving teenagers information about sex.

3. Sarah Palin believes in punishing rape victims.
"
Palin thinks that rape victims should be forced to bear the child of their rapist. She believes this so strongly that she would oppose abortion even if her own daughter were raped.

The Huffington Post reports: "Granting exceptions only if the mother's life was in danger, Palin said that when it came to her daughter, 'I would choose life.'

At the time, her daughter was 14 years old. Moreover, Alaska's rape rate was an abysmal 2.2 times above the national average, and 25 percent of all rapes resulted in unwanted pregnancies.
Palin also opposes abortion in cases of incest and would grant an exception only if childbirth would result in the mother's death."

All the stats you point out re: State standings on various issues.. you act as if Palin has inacted or lead these....she hasn't. Her religious beliefs won't permit it.

Yet she knows it would be politically suicidal to try and force her will on Alaskans in this way...but on the national stage.. it's just the opposite! She'd receive so much goading (not that she needs it) from so many national Evangelical Orgs it isn't funny...and she knows this. Why do you think she wanted it so bad???

In Alaska, her reach is restricted & limited, nationally she'd have hands on the throttle...big difference!

Here's how your state, CA, fared:

Oh by all means, I should follow your stats and bail out of California and head for....Alaska?

I don't think so, there's a reason 10% of the US population lives here...it's a great place (best of the 50 states)...regardless of your stats. As pricey' as it is, behind Alaska in your stats..and anything else negative you can think of..this place is the envy of a great deal and I see why every day that I wake up.

So as for getting my facts straight about Palin, they're dead on. It's you who are trying transpose Alaska's long standing laws and positions on these subjects as Palin's doings...they are not. It's very clear to quite a few how dangerous this woman is were she in any position of 'real' power.

BN747

767Lover

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 47):
Oh by all means, I should follow your stats and bail out of California and head for....Alaska?

Did I say that? Heavens no.
You really are jumpy.

In Alaska, her reach is restricted & limited, nationally she'd have hands on the throttle...big difference!

She would have limited power over the laws that states enact on these matters.

It's you who are trying transpose Alaska's long standing laws and positions on these subjects as Palin's doings...they are not. It's very clear to quite a few how dangerous this woman is were she in any position of 'real' power.

And yet she isn't in any position of "real" power, is she? So relax. Even if every Evangelical voted for her, (which is doubtful, since about a quarter of white evangelicals call themselves Democrat, and 84% of black evangelicals say they are Democrat--according to PBS) there would be a whole lot of other people having to vote for her too.

I'm not transposing anything, or citing Palin with anything. What I AM doing is pointing out that many, many states are ALREADY doing the same things regarding sex education (abstinence) that you are afraid of. And that Alaska is really no less progressive than most of the US on these matters.

Anyway, I came across these while Googling on another subject (I had read an article this morning about teen STD rates nationally) and figured I would interject some actual facts into the discussion. It really has no significance what you believe, as you are very partisan in your opinions. But you are precious!

Have a great night!

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 48):

I'm not transposing anything, or citing Palin with anything. What I AM doing is pointing out that many, many states are ALREADY doing the same things regarding sex education (abstinence) that you are afraid of.

Afraid is the incorrect adverb...and yes, the Bush Admin spent $75 million on 'abstinence education'... sure something has to be said/done. Yes me, personally...I'd toss the whole unrealistic notion right out the window. But it isn't up to me. Dealing with teen pregnancy and other related matters is one of those issues where 'everything' has to be thrown at the problem in the hopes that something will 'stick'.

BTW, did you happen to catch Bill Maher's show last nite, it was a Palin special...very funny stuff.

But back to Palin, she commemted on Obama's Special Olmpics remark..
http://www.kansascity.com/444/story/1098375.html

Palin:"This was a degrading remark about our world's most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world," said Palin, whose son, Trig, was born with Down syndrome last year. "These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will." end quote

WTF??? They are 'the world's most precious and unique people'...quit already! A nice 'christian thing' to say, but hardly the truth. If that were true, the 80% of predicted Downs Syndrome pregnancies wouldn't be aborted!

Now Maria Shriver, who's mother founded the Special Olympics Movement...

Earlier in the day, California first lady Maria Shriver - whose mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founded the Special Olympics movement in 1968 - said that while she was confident Obama didn't intend to offend anyone, the remark "demonstrates the need to continue to educate the non-disabled community on the issues that confront those with a developmental disability."

Yeah, Palin is a schill of the lowest order.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 48):
Anyway, I came across these while Googling on another subject (I had read an article this morning about teen STD rates nationally) and figured I would interject some actual facts into the discussion. It really has no significance what you believe, as you are very partisan in your opinions. But you are precious!

Have a great night!

Ummm....riiigghhhtttt...

You have a great night too!

BN747