Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dirkou
Topic Author

Stock Trading

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Simple question: if you were to invest $50K in stocks right now with the aim of returning the investment in 2 to 3 years in what companies would you invest and how much?

swissy

RE: Stock Trading

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting Dirkou (Thread starter):
Simple question: if you were to invest $50K in stocks right now with the aim of returning the investment in 2 to 3 years in what companies would you invest and how much?

It depends what kind of return you are looking for, like 10%,15%, 20%.....100% within a period of 2-3 year I assume....

Cheerios,

Dirkou
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 am

I'm looking for as much return as possible independent of time (in a 2 to4 years time frame)...

panam330

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:16 am

Generally speaking, the greater the risk, the higher the return. Right now, I wouldn't want to be risking $50k if I were you. I'd put my money in a 12 month CD for the time being, but I'd rather be safe than sorry (I'm not much of a risk taker in this department).

NWADC9

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:45 am

I trade virtual stocks on www.updown.com, and from what I see, EBAY, BHS, and GOLD are doing EXTREMELY well. Long-term, who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised to see these stocks do some good climbing throughout this recession.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

Dirkou
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:03 am

Tks. Do you know if there are any good forums like airliners.net but for small investors / stock trading?

STT757

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:07 am

People thought last Spring was a good time to invest, they didn't think the market would go lower. Honestly no one knows where things are going, I would avoid the market right now. But if you were going to invest the only area I would be looking at is the health care services industry.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Jetsgo

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:22 am

Personally, I was taught never to invest that much and expect a such a return so quickly. This is mostly due to the fact that in order to gain such a high return in such a short period of time, you have to invest in riskier stocks, which have the potential to value just as quickly.

I only use the stock market for long term investments. And for that, I am quite diversified between pharmaceuticals, oil companies, food companies, and tobacco companies. So far, over the years it has remained rather steady with a gradual increase in value since I began investing.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

swissy

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:14 am

Quoting Dirkou (Reply 2):
I'm looking for as much return as possible independent of time (in a 2 to4 years time frame)...

Currently there are many many stock options under rated because of the down turn.... if you are willing to put the 50k out and maybe try to split it in packages of maybe 20-25% each....

I usually try to get as much financial/stock performance info for each company I want to invest.... I do not just look at the last 3-5 years..... 5-10 years gives me a more comfortable picture if I should go for it or not....

Just be prepared to loose money......  Wink

Cheerios,

johns624

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 pm

I know a well-regarded man who can get you really good, and consistant returns. His name is Bernie Madoff...

N328KF

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

NAV20

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Quoting Dirkou (Thread starter):

Equally simple answer, Dirkou. You're talking about a capital gain of 33%-50% per annum.

Those days haven't just 'gone' - they never existed, except in the fevered minds of people like Madoff.............

The best you can hope for is a return between 5% and 6% - and even then you'll have to be careful and choose wisely..............

The crazy days are over..........
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

eric

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Anyone can make money in a good market is the mantra. Doing so in these markets is a different story alltogether.

By the nature of your questions it would appear your knowledge of the market isn't the best (for all I know) and would strongly recommend not investing unless you talk to finance professional who is familar with these matters. They will take a small cut but would be able to place your money with greater knowledge of the market.
n

bill142

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Now is a good time to be buying if you have a long term view. Go for companies which have a solid balance sheet and can weather the storm. You will have to be prepared to wear a loss in the interim while the markets are up and down.

Gsoshutout55

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm long AAPL,C,F,CAL and SHORT gold... Investing is a bad idea if you want to make high returns short term. Trading is where the money's at...

swissy

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:03 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 11):
The crazy days are over..........

They just started!!!  Wink

Quoting Eric (Reply 12):
By the nature of your questions it would appear your knowledge of the market isn't the best (for all I know) and would strongly recommend not investing unless you talk to finance professional who is familar with these matters. They will take a small cut but would be able to place your money with greater knowledge of the market.

I general I agree....... but if you do

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 13):
Now is a good time to be buying if you have a long term view. Go for companies which have a solid balance sheet and can weather the storm. You will have to be prepared to wear a loss in the interim while the markets are up and down.

You are on the right track.... takes time, effort & some knowledge with numbers but if you have it all together you can give it a try......

All our investments done by the pros went down by a great margin...... the little stuff we did our self is still going very good if we compare the two.....

I am still saying now is the time to invest..... if you go for short/long term.... go beyond your countries border and look globally whats out there......

Cheerios,

iwenttoYXEonce

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:05 am

Your best bet may be investing in an index fund... but again, it depends on your risk aversion. If you want the least risks then look at investing in the S&P500, the TSX, etc... a finance professor once told me that in the long run picking stocks is worse than investing in an index.