Page 1 of 1

10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:08 pm
by September11
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Ten children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at an Arkansas day care served it from a container mistaken for Kool-Aid and placed in a refrigerator, authorities said Friday.

Link to full article: http://thecolumbusdispatch.com/live/...s/2009/03/13/a10drink.html?sid=101


Scary!

[Edited 2009-03-13 13:09:20]

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:58 pm
by KLM685
oh man! Wiper fluid confused with Kool-Aid?!

How's that possible in the first place? It is scary indeed. Now you don't know where you're leaving your children.

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 pm
by dragon6172
This is why wiper fluid (or any other chemicals) should not be sold in clear plastic containers.

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm
by yfbflyer
Why would you keep wiper fluid in a fridge?

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:30 pm
by Jpax
""I think the take-home message is not to have these products in the kitchen or where you're doing any kind of food preparation," she said."


Ya think?!  banghead 

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Ca

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 pm
by skytrain


Quoting KLM685 (Reply 1):
oh man! Wiper fluid confused with Kool-Aid?!



Quoting Yfbflyer (Reply 3):
Why would you keep wiper fluid in a fridge?



Quoting Jpax (Reply 4):
""I think the take-home message is not to have these products in the kitchen or where you're doing any kind of food preparation," she said."


Ya think?!   

Haha, doesn't it just make you wonder how some people make it through the day?

Skytrain

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 pm
by aer lingus
How could they mistaken between wiper fluid and some drink?
Can they read?
If it was engine coolant is even more toxic than windshield wiper fluid and could be worse.

 bigthumbsup 

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:38 pm
by NWADC9
Isn't there a child-proof cap on those things? I'm sure that would be a dead give-away that it's not blue Kool-Aid...

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:54 am
by dragon6172


Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 6):
If it was engine coolant is even more toxic than windshield wiper fluid and could be worse.

Exactly, and you notice that engine coolant is not sold in clear containers.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 7):
Isn't there a child-proof cap on those things?

Good point, I believe most of them do have safety caps.

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:51 pm
by StarAC17


Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 7):
Isn't there a child-proof cap on those things? I'm sure that would be a dead give-away that it's not blue Kool-Aid...

What was it doing in the fridge it doesn't expire and its not like you can test the antifreeze in a fridge. We kept ours in the garage and usually you can easily tell a kid not to touch stuff in a garage. Thank god the kids are going to be alright

They have a pretty good one on them because it has to be re-usable and can be a pain to open in a hurry and its not supposed to be broken. Also a bright kid a break a childproof cap especially if they want to they aren't safes.

When I was a kid I not know WHMIS but was scared buy the skull and crossbones, and that was a good thing and that kept me away from toxic stuff.

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Ca

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:38 pm
by skytrain


Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 9):
What was it doing in the fridge

The article gives me the impression that the windshield wiper fluid was mistaken for Kool-Aid and placed in the fridge, then later served to the kids. Per the article:

Quote:
Ten children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at an Arkansas day care served it from a container mistaken for Kool-Aid and placed in a refrigerator, authorities said Friday.

Still, pretty odd.

Skytrain

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:41 am
by seemyseems


Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 2):
clear plastic containers.

Over here they sell it in all sorts of fancy colours and flavours, my sister has cherry flavoured, they should try and put even bigger warning on them.

RE: 10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Day Care

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:55 pm
by HOMER71
If it goes both ways, then one of the staffers might have a very sticky, fruity-smelling windshield...