Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLM-MD11
Topic Author

What's Your Wine?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Besides aviation another big interest I have is wine - I study oenology, do (blind) tastings, even have a wine cellar...

I also work parttime at a wine importer/shop just for the fun of it

my Q:

what's your favorite wine?

my list:

-German Riesling from the Mosel region
-Pinot Noir from the Baden region in Germany
-Red and whites from Burgundy
-Reds from Northern Spain (Rioja, Bierzo, Ribera del Duero, Cigales)
-Bordeaux Grand Cru Classe

rgds

KLM-MD11
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

IHadAPheo

RE: What's Your Wine?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Wen the Vodka and Tang runs low I enjoy a nifty Lexia (red or white depending on the mood)

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Cadet57

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Box wine, best kind there is  duck 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

JJJ

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Currently I'm finishing a couple cases of Murviedro's 'Cueva de la culpa' (red) and 'Alba de murviedro' (white).

Next in line for whites is a German Riesling I can't remember the name for.

Mostly I like dry reds and fruity whites, which ticks boxes from a lot of wine regions. I'm partial to Vinho Verde, Rieslings, Ruedas, some Requena-Utiel and, very especially, Priorat (friggin' expensive, though).

Riojas have become way too expensive in the last 10 years, I'd rather look for lesser known places.

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):

One of the events some of the cadets in my ROTC unit do each year is the "Tour de Franzia" in which teams of two have to chug an entire box of Franzia and hold it down for 30 minutes - the fastest team wins  biggrin 

Anyway, I really enjoy lambrusco style wines.  Smile German Rieslings are really good too.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

swiftski

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Quoting KLM-MD11 (Thread starter):
Besides aviation another big interest I have is wine

Not a big drinker myself, so House wine is always fine. I get teased for not being able to tell the difference between a very cheap and a very expensive bottle, but it's just not my thing.

eric

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Whereas I used to be a big fan of Pomerol and Barolo (when my parent's would pay for me) after moving out I have become a great fan of alot of the New World Wine's, e.g. European-inspired often made on the same vines.

- Some include, McLaren Vale (Aus) which has some very good Sangiovese and Cab. Sav/Cab. Franc varieties.

- South Africa (e.g. Syrah/shiraz when made as Syrah rather than Shiraz), e.g. from Paarl or the Franschoek region. Although there are some good wines from Stellenbosch and Robertson, I am prone to the former.

Also, there are some very good Washington/Oregon wines out there but the market (in the UK) is flooded with sub-par SoCal wines sadly which has taken a foothold of the lower segments of the markets (US wine being a bit tainted from that) which is a shame as. There are a bunch of great US wines but they are either bad quality or horribly expensive (£40+) and very few in the everyday segment around £10-£15.

[Edited 2009-03-16 11:16:37]
n

HT

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:56 pm

What's Your Wine? 

When I still was in wine, my saying was "ABC" = All But Chardonnay.

My latest favourites were fully-bodied Spanish red wines with Tempranillo and Garnacha grapes.
Also, when in Portugal, there are many, many good wines, that rarely make it abroad.

But meanwhile I stay away from wine (and all other alcohol) pretty much (it's a health-thing for me).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Cadet57

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Quoting Eric (Reply 6):
here are a bunch of great US wines but they are either bad quality or horribly expensive (£40+) and very few in the everyday segment around £10-£15.

What, no "Two Buck Chuck"?

Superfly

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 pm

I study oenology, do (blind) tastings, even have a wine cellar...

I also work parttime at a wine importer/shop just for the fun of it

That sounds awesome. Is your wine shop hiring?  Smile
When I was in Greece, had some really good wines but I couldn't read the label. It was all in Greek.

I do appreciate a good wine but for daily use, I am fine with cheap jug wine.
There was once a time in which I was spending up to $65 for single 750ML bottle of wine. Then along came Charlie!
Charles Shaw that is.
For just $1.99, you get a quality California wine with a cork.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
Box wine, best kind there is duck

checkmark   bigthumbsup 

Let's not forget about Carlos Rossi.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

LH423

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:06 pm

I had a really good 2001 Rioja that my friend bought. I wish I had taken note of the label since it was nice. I also had a really light, fruity but not overly sweet bottle of Beaumont Chenin Blanc (S.A.) at dinner on Saturday.

I love wine but I really should take a closer look at what I'm drinking since I always forget when I find a good buy.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

EMBQA

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:14 pm

what's your favorite wine?

I think for me it's more what I don't like. I have a large collection of 'empties' of our favorites. If I knew how to post a picture I'd show ya.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
What, no "Two Buck Chuck"?

LoL...!!! My girlfriend just bought 3 cases. It's actually not that bad.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

GrahamHill

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:16 pm

For white wine, I like Chablis, one of my favourite. For a cheaper price, the Riesling from Alsace is a good choice as well.

For red, I enjoy a bottle of Graves or a Saint Emilion.

Of course, most of the Grands Crus from the Bordeaux region are recommended (if you have money).

I don't like much red wines from Bourgogne.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

RaginMav

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 pm

My wife loves riesling, or floral, fruity whites. I'm with HT on the 'ABC' method! Everything else is good.

My personal favorites, found on our honeymoon:

Thousand Flowers from Hop Kiln Winery, Russian River Valley. (This stuff smells amazing!)
A proprietary blend with a loyal following, Thousand Flowers has fruity, floral aromas and fresh, bright flavors. Ideal for a picnic and perfect as an aperitif, this food-friendly wine pairs deliciously with lighter fare.

And my all time favorite, Symphony and Symphony Late Harvest from Baywood Cellars, Lodi, CA.

IH8BY

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 5):
Not a big drinker myself, so House wine is always fine. I get teased for not being able to tell the difference between a very cheap and a very expensive bottle, but it's just not my thing.

I generally agree with that, but there's a point at which I do start to think 'urgh' (I once made the terrible mistake of going for the cheapest white at Nando's, of all places). Then again, some cheap wines taste far better than their prices would suggest.

I rarely if ever drink red wine, but of late I've been getting into rosé - mostly because I never know quite what I'm going to be eating it with and rosé is a bit of a safe bet.

As I'm on a student budget, I don't drink wine regularly, and don't have much of a chance to sample better stuff. I keep a keen eye out for offers.

[Edited 2009-03-16 13:30:13]
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

KLM-MD11
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:05 pm

So, we do have some connoiseurs on anet  Wink

I do pay special attention to the pics of winelists that one can find in the tripreports.

I'm very positively surprised by the wines served onboard First Class on some airlines!!

Saw a bottle of Chateau Margaux in the open bar of an A380 - just can't remember if it was EK, SQ or Qantas...

That bottle retails at a couple of hundred bucks, depending on the vintage year...

best wine onboard for me yet: a half bottle of Pieper Heidsieck Champagne - free of charge on behalf of Olympic Airlines for our honeymoon!!!

very nice touch that was

KLM-MD11
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

mbmbos

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 pm

I like the Rhones, particularly ones that blend grenache and syrah, which is most of them. They are medium bodied, have a certain earthiness that compliments wild game and yet have a bright, fruity note.

I'm not a connoisseur but that's how I would describe them. I particularly enjoy Chateau Neuf de Pap, aged a few years.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Superfly

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Quoting Klm-md11 (Reply 15):
best wine onboard for me yet: a half bottle of Pieper Heidsieck Champagne - free of charge on behalf of Olympic Airlines for our honeymoon!!!

One of the many things I love about Olympic Airways.  

I talked about it briefly in this trip report.
Superfly Completes Trip Around The World
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo.../trip_reports/read.main/80919/1/#1

I was really impressed with the champagne on Cathay Pacific and wine on United 1st. class and Business.
They served Billecart-Salmon Brut Champagne.

Business Class; Cathay Pacific & UA; BKK-SIN-SFO
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...trip_reports/read.main/121724/1/#1

The best champagne I had was on Thai Airways in Royal First Class.
They serve Dom Perignon.  
I elaborate more on that in this trip report.

Superfly Returns To Thailand;TG Royal 1st. 747-300
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo.../trip_reports/read.main/96932/1/#1

[Edited 2009-03-16 14:26:50]
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm

I'll take just about anything but I'm particularly fond of Shiraz, Viognier, Pinot Noir, and the occasional Chianti

scrubbsywg

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:30 pm

i am also a huge fan of most rieslings. they are just awesome.

csturdiv

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:31 pm

I am a fan of the reds, the drier the better. Actually right now I have 5 gallons of some homemade red zinfandel in a fermenter. It is about time that I bottle it, it has been about two years since fermentation ended. When I go ou for dinner, I usually will go for a pinot noir or a cab if I am with family or other wine drinkers.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

kmh1956

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:33 pm

St. Emilion....lovely.
Occasionally Pinot Noir...
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Superfly

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 18):
I'll take just about anything but I'm particularly fond of Shiraz, Viognier, Pinot Noir, and the occasional Chianti

All of the above is good stuff.  Cool
However, my wallet likes Burgundy and Paisano from the fine vineyards of Carlos Rossi.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Ncfc99

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:38 pm

The only wine I have ever thought was good was a Pinot Grigio from the Yarra valley, i can't remeber the name of the vineyard

KirkSeattle

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 am

Winter time : Malbecs from Argentina, Carmenere from Chile and some Californian/Australian Shiraz/Syrah

Summer time: New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs, Italian Pinot Grigio, Oregon Pinot Noir

Quoting HT (Reply 7):
When I still was in wine, my saying was "ABC" = All But Chardonnay.

rotfl 

Cheers!

-Kirk

Cadet57

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:59 am

Ok stupid wine question. I got a heckling from some of my wine snob friends when I told them this... But I prefer my red wine chilled, especially shiraz. Why are you not supposed to chill reds?

jetstar

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:11 am

Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay from Napa Valley for me.

JetStar

jcs17

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:13 am

http://elmwoodent.com/party/images/hairybuffalo/boons.jpg
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:18 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 25):
Ok stupid wine question. I got a heckling from some of my wine snob friends when I told them this... But I prefer my red wine chilled, especially shiraz. Why are you not supposed to chill reds?

I am no wine snob and I'll even drink the cheap stuff but you are to NEVER chill a red!
Can't explain it scientifically but it does change the consistency and taste.

Franzia does offer a Chillable Red in a box like the one you show in post #2.
Never bring that around your wine snob friends.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

UAL747

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 am

Casa Lapostalle - Merlot - Rapel Valley - 2003 - Chile

Copolla - Merlot

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

airportugal310

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:40 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 27):

Someone here likes the "almost but not quite" bum wine

http://www.bumwine.com/others.html

MYself, I prefer full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon's. The drier the better for me.

For those nights when you are with someone that doesnt care for that sort of thing, but "good wine" is that which is sweeter, a white zinfandel or riesling will do the trick indeed. There are a lot of cheap bottles of the Mosel mix emerging out there...Polka Dot is a nice one that is cheap and worth drinking IMO
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

radiopolitic

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 am

I've slowly gotten into wine over the past few years but I suppose my experience has been rather unconventional.

I started off really liking Shiraz and Baco Noir's and I still enjoy them but other things have surpassed them.

Now I drink Azeri and Georgian wines.

From Azerbaijan there is an absolutely wonderful grape called Matrasa which I enjoy to no end. It's generally a medium-sweetness but it honestly tastes so unique from everything I've ever had before. It pairs fabulously with red meats, especially lamb.

From Georgia i take the Saperavi grape which is also a semi-sweet, however, nowhere near as unique as the Matrasa.

Recently, I've also taken a particular liking to Chianti's specifically from 1997.

White wine tastes like water to me, lol.

KirkSeattle

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 am

I'm no expert, but from experience....

The red grape needs some time to breathe and chilling wine suppresses the aroma of the grapes.

Have you ever decanted red wine? I find, even with the cheaper wines, some room to breathe helps with the taste. You can find them for $10 -$15 in the home accessories area of your department store.

Above all, remember, to enjoy your wine the way you like it. If you have guests, the norm is red is room temp and white's are chilled.

-Kirk

tz757300

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:13 am

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:21 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 33):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

That stuff works too!  bigthumbsup 
Bring back the Concorde

Stealthz

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:23 am

But I prefer my red wine chilled, especially shiraz. Why are you not supposed to chill reds?

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 32):
If you have guests, the norm is red is room temp and white's are chilled.

Actually many of us drink our red wines a little too warm, "room" temperature should really read "cellar" temp which is a little cooler than most of us keep our homes and therefore our wines.
12-15C is a good temp to serve red wine at so a short time in the cooler is not always a bad thing, just don't overdo it(as most do with white wines as well!*)

Cheers

*7-8C is a good temp for whites not the 3-4C that many refrigerate it to and a touch warmer,10C for the Sauternes, white Burgundies, Beaujolais etc
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

allstarflyer

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 am

what's your favorite whine?

I want more $$$.

I want high income that doesn't require work.

I want 2 new cars.

I want world peace, starting here in Nonav.

That's my favorite whine.  tongue 
Living the American Dream

kalakaua

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:54 am

I'm a big fan of recent reds coming out of S. America. Spain has also been tickling my taste buds.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

KLM-MD11
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 35):

Actually many of us drink our red wines a little too warm, "room" temperature should really read "cellar" temp which is a little cooler than most of us keep our homes and therefore our wines.

so true.

At many homes and even restaurants, wines are served at the wrong temperature. And that is very annoying!! Wine is so much more enjoyable when served in the correct glass, at the right temperature and preferably decanted.

a white wine should be served anywhere between 6 and 12 celcius. The fresher the wines (Sauvignon Blanc, dry Riesling) cooler (6-8) and the "fat" wines like older wooded Chardonnays can be served between 10-12.

Red wines: The "fresher" the wines (Pinot Noir, Gamay...) the cooler you serve them at 12-14
and the very heavy reds like Bordeaux, Chianti, New World Cabs at around but maximum 18.

remember: life is too short to drink bad wine!
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

garnetpalmetto

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Being a guy who tries to be into local sourcing, I'm a huge fan of the wines coming out of North Carolina now. At one point in history, NC produced more grapes than all the other states in the US combined, but then that whole "Prohibition" thing came and most farmers began substituting tobacco for vineyards. Now that tobacco has lost much of its profitability, farmers are turning back to wines. The Yadkin Valley AVA near the Triad has lots of vineyards growing vinefera sprouting up all the time - my fiancee and I try to head up there once a year and it always seems like 3-4 new wineries have begun producing. Lots of good reds are coming out of here and NASCAR team owner Richard Childress owns a winery that produces some pretty good wines (who'd have thought?). Down this way it's mostly muscadine, scuppernong, and fruit wines, something which can definitely be good. Contrary to belief not all are sweet - had an excellent muscadine wine from Hinnant that I cold have easily confused for merlot, for instance.

Some of my favorite NC Wineries:

Chatham Hill Winery - http://www.chathamhillwine.com/ (They don't grow their own grapes, but they can put out a very good chardonnay and a very good riesling)

Flint Hill Vineyards - http://www.flinthillvineyards.com/ (Their old family farmhouse is their tasting room and restaurant. Great bold reds, especially their chambourcin, their syrah, and the Olde Yattkin)

Hanover Park - http://www.hanoverparkwines.com/ (Great selection of wines, their chambourcin and mourvedre are true to their francophile roots, but I don't think we had a bad wine from them ever)

Hinnant Vineyards - http://www.hinnantvineyards.com/ (AMAZING strawberry wine)

RagApple Lassie - http://www.ragapplelassie.com/ (Some great wine blends, especially their Rockford Red, a mix of Cab Franc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Zin)

Aside from my NC wine fixation, I tend to like Australian syrahs, Argentinian malbecs, and Washington state rieslings
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

A330Fan1

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Nice topic.

I'm really into earthy & intense wines (not a fan of the sweet kind). My favorite variety is Shiraz. One of the best I've had is a 2007 Shiraz Pressings from the Ivanhoe Winery in Hunter Valley, Australia.

I haven't explored too many wines and am by no means able to talk about other varieties, but so far I've found I like South American & Australian reds a lot.

-Ron

MadameConcorde

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:08 pm

I like Meursault (Burgundy) white rather than red.

http://www.meursault.com/meursault/fr/chateau/historique.htm

I also like Pouilly Fuissé (another Burgundy) white wine

http://www.pouilly-fuisse.net/en/accueil.htm

If I was to invite someone for "wine and cheese" I would choose
Bourgogne aligoté a light Burgundy white.

http://www.collinbourisset.com/englishv/bourgogne_aligote.htm

cheerful 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

airportugal310

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 am

Does anyone else here, besides me I suppose, buy wines from time to time based on the labels? Sometimes, when looking for something new to try, I got for something with a creative or catchy looking label...

I dont know...could just be me but It sometimes speaks for the wine itself
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

YVRLTN

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
I do appreciate a good wine but for daily use, I am fine with cheap jug wine.

I agree with this - cant beat a wine and cheese evening, but for a bottle with dinner we get Yellow Tail - either the Shiraz or Cabernet Merlot. Ive actually gotten to really like it...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

steeler83

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:55 am

My favorites:

White wines:
Chardonnay
Pinot Grigio

Red:
Pinot Noir

I prefer wine produced anywhere in the USA, if not locally here in the Delaware River valley.  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Derico

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 am

Merlot for anyday wine thirst... the downside of Merlot is that it's generally not memorable, but it's totally dependable on so many meals, as long as they don't cross into the spicy world. I must admit I used to be very biased AGAINST wine from the USA, but I think they make the best Merlot.

Sirah from Oz or San Juan province (Argentina), when I want more fullness from the drink with the same meals as merlot (general meats, cheeses, etc).

Pinot Noir from Burgundy in general for meals involving chicken, and only Pinot Noir from La France.

Cabernet from pretty much anywhere and Bordeaux for those times that I want excitement in my taste buds and the food has protein. A special mention for Cabernet Franc, my favorite not to well known grape.

Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc with Sushi, yum. Riesling von Deutschland with super exotic food.

Torrontes is amazing with chicken and pork, because it feels so silky in your mouth and it's not to dry not to sweet. And with asado and chimichurri, cabernet or Malbec, malbec usually winning because it's cheaper and still better because so much of the best malbec is from Mendoza.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down