trvyyz
Topic Author

Evolution? Do You Believe In It?

Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:53 am

Evolution? Do you believe in it?

I was reading the news where a minister was being asked this question.
Does it make a difference?

Continental

RE: Evolution? Do You Believe In It?

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:04 am

Yes, I believe in it. Is it correct? I don't know, and certainly nobody knows.

Quoting TRVYYZ (Thread starter):
Does it make a difference?

Does evolution or what the minister thinks make a difference? What are you asking?

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 am

I believe that evolution is a better and more scientific explanation than any others I've heard of.

I wouldn't say I "believe in it" - should something else scientific come up that changes and/or adds to it, I have no problem accepting that as well.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:02 am

Believe? Of course. It's the truth. Not some fairytale.

Quoting Continental (Reply 1):
and certainly nobody knows.

That's certainly not the case. There's plenty of evidence and there has been plenty of experiments (bacteria/virae becoming immune to anti-biotics and other treatments is a great natural and non-experimental example). It's not just one guys (Darwin's) idea, its a fact.

DocLightning

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:08 am

Yes, I believe in it. Is it correct? I don't know, and certainly nobody knows.

I know. I've watched it happen in the lab many times. I've manipulated it many times. I've used it many times. I've counted on it many times.

There are still people who believe that the earth is flat. Does anyone KNOW for 100% sure that it's round? Well, the evidence for it is about as strong as the evidence for evolution, actually.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Tugger

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 2):
I wouldn't say I "believe in it" - should something else scientific come up that changes and/or adds to it, I have no problem accepting that as well.

checkmark 

Evolution is not a "belief" it is a scientific theory that has been offered and has survived 150 years of new discoveries and challenges. I accept evolution as the one best description of how life developed on the earth.

And I'm not the the only one:

Quote:

In Rome, on 3 March a five-day Vatican-sponsored academic conference to mark the anniversary of the publication of "The Origin of Species" opened. Present are scientists, philosophers and theologians who are discussing Darwin's theory of evolution in relation to belief in divine creation.

The conference is organized by Rome's Pontifical Gregorian University and the University of Notre Dame in Indiana and it is one of two in 2009 sponsored by the Vatican to examine the work of scientists such as Galileo and Darwin whose ideas seemed to challenge religious beliefs. In presenting the conference, the Vatican said that the Roman Catholic Church, unlike many Protestant churches, never condemned Darwin's theory.

http://www.eni.ch/featured/article.php?id=2780

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

ABQ747

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:41 am

Nope.  no 

Francoflier

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 6):

Nope.

I'd be curious to hear your version of what happened then...  Smile
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

OHLHD

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 am

Yes, I do!

Religion is not the key to our existence.  Smile

haggis79

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:46 am

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 7):
I'd be curious to hear your version of what happened then...

I'd rather not....  Wink
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

Klaus

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:54 am

The thing is that evolution works completely regardless whether one "believes" in it or not, as regular breeding, genetic genealogical research, forensic medicine, biological research and many other fields show every day.

It is one of the most spectacularly consistent theories in the history of science, still remaining valid after more than a century and making predictions which are being validated by empirical research every day, which is the primary measure of a successful scientific theory.

If some people choose to "not believe in" a thoroughly validated scientific theory they can make that choice for their own entertainment, that just removes themselves from reality and says absolutely nothing about the principles described by it. These will go on being consistent and valid with or without the support of their "belief".

Science does not need "belief", it needs validation by consistency. And evolution is pretty much the archetype for that.

BN747

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:32 am

Absolutely, the order of the universe suggest it to be true and valid.

Just like people... stars and planets are born

Just like people ... some are destroyed before they get their chance to flourish.

Just like people .. some survive and prosper..(thriving civilizations)

Just like people .. some suffer from horrific collisions and violent demise (humans-Wars)

Unfortunately (that we know of, heavenly bodies unlike humans cannot take matters into their own hands to 'better' their conditions or chances of prolonged survival).

Just like people, they grow old and die (stars actually start the process again in death)

Just looking at how our species has evolved from times of Genghis Khan to current age .. is a microscopic version of the (universe) pattern laid out above. Did we have a hand in our own evolving from apes-to-humans? No, it may seem like some guy one day decided to walk upright vs on all fours. But I credit the Universe with this particular course of Evolution. Evolution is not only and earth-thing...it is a universal phenomenon, the ways or laws of the universe .. in it's perpetual state of 'aging (or advancing)' if you will. The human measure of 'evolution' (last 1 million or so years) is quite miniscule on such grand scale.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

2707200X

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 am

Yes I do, though nothing in science is 100% fact I know that their is scientific evidence to advance the theory of evolution the way it is known now. The same goes for the Big Bang.as opposed to Hoyle or seven days of 24 hours.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

signol

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 am

There's enough evidence to suggest that evolution is probably true. This does not make it mutually exclusive with religion though - I think it's the method that God used.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Klaus

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:01 am

Quoting Signol (Reply 13):
There's enough evidence to suggest that evolution is probably true. This does not make it mutually exclusive with religion though - I think it's the method that God used.

Evolution is something that actually and verifiably happens in the physical world.

Religion is purely software running on people's minds with no connection to the outside world.

kalakaua

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:20 am

I believe in a scientific and spiritual evolution, yes.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

David L

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:14 am

Is it correct?

It's difficult to say it's "correct" when there's still so much to learn about it and the details have to be modified from time to time. However, anyone would be hard pressed to say it isn't close to the truth and getting closer all the time.

This does not make it mutually exclusive with religion though - I think it's the method that God used.

I don't think any scientific theory is mutually exclusive with religion in general... as long as the believers accept the overwhelming evidence and don't stick their heads in the sand. A faith that denies the general principles of evolution is only fooling its followers. It's not that long ago that it was heresy to suggest that the Earth was not the centre of the universe.

As we've discussed many times before, no matter how much science reveals that things would happen without God, the believers will always be able to say "yeah, it didn't need God in order to happen but he made it happen anyway" with little fear of being "proved" wrong.

bwest

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:14 am

It beats believing religious fairy tales...

MadameConcorde

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 am

The Theory of Evolution makes total sense. We see things changing constantly from the infinite to the infinitesimal.

I have witnessed evolution in my lifetime. I remember the first Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin the first man in Space. Just see what they do now. You see the astronauts entering the Space Station wearing polo shirts and baseball caps.

I am from a generation when there was not even any thought of personal computers, Ipods, even less laptops or telephones in our pockets. This is also part of Evolution.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

trvyyz
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:02 pm

What are you asking?

w.r.t minister.

I personally don't believe in evolution for the simple reason that I don't know about it. It can't be proved in real time. Well it is a great theory which seems acceptable to the human mind, but still how can I be sure.

DocLightning

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Unfortunately, it is inconsistent with what is written in Genesis. Unless you warp and twist what is written in Genesis to the point that it is completely unrecognizable.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

David L

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 19):
It can't be proved in real time.

No, not absolutely 100.000000000...% but it can be shown to be a far, far better explanation than "God did it in six days". Fossils, DNA, genetic engineering and genetics in general are a bit of a giveaway. We can't observe humans branching away from early primates but we can use the evidence we do see to reach the conclusion that they did. When someone commits murder without witnesses there can still be plenty of evidence that they did it, e.g. the fact that no-one saw them elsewhere at the time, fingerprints, DNA, the victim's blood on their clothes, etc.

Whatever the initial driving force, the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that it clearly has happened and will continue to happen and that all species that have ever existed did not all appear "back at the beginning".

I'm sure one of the biggest problem sceptics have with evolution (other than "just believing" what the churches tell them to) is that the changes usually happen so slowly that they can't see how there's been enough time for so many changes. The Earth has been around for 4.5 billion years. That's not just "quite a long time". It's not just "before our great, great grandparents". It's an "I can't even begin to get my head round how unimaginably long that is" length of time. Humans have been around for only the last tiny fraction of that time.

signol

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
Unfortunately, it is inconsistent with what is written in Genesis.

I would say that most of the Bible was written by people, for [those] people. It's been so chopped and changed and translated over the years that for me, the only "seriously important" bits are the words of Jesus. So, the Old Testament are good stories to learn from, and the rest of the New Testament are the works of a few good men (mostly Paul), but they pall in comparison with Jesus. I would give Paul slightly more authority than my own vicar, but he was still just a man with his own thoughts and opinions.

signol

yowza

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:57 pm

I wonder if you could convince out Minister of SCIENCE to contribute to this thread:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...goodyear0318/BNStory/politics/home

As for me yes I do. I don't look down on those who don't, I just don't understand how they can refute it...

YOWza

NWADC9

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:21 pm

I believe in evolution - micro evolution (skin color, for instance). Macro evolution (monkey turning into a human), I find to be a bunch of crap with a lot of holes in its theory.

What do I believe? Creationism. Someone had to create all this stuff! There's no way that out of the blue a fish starts growing legs and turns into a lizard who then turns into a bear, etc. My full belief - Genesis 1:1.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

skyservice_330

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 24):
I find to be a bunch of crap with a lot of holes in its theory.

Can you elaborate? What "holes" are you referring to?

Francoflier

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 pm

What do I believe? Creationism. Someone had to create all this stuff! There's no way that out of the blue a fish starts growing legs and turns into a lizard who then turns into a bear, etc. My full belief - Genesis 1:1.

I love to hear guys like you say that. It's like the 17th century again. Sounds cool, in a way...

And looking back at us, I guess we didn't do too bad, considering we all come from the biggest incest and inbreeding orgy ever, not to mention the limited genepool.

So when is the Pope going to sanctify that Fritzl guy?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Klaus

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Wrong. It is observed all the time at varying speeds, depending on the organism. Yet this myth never seems to die out. It is especially visible with microorganisms because of their rapid generation rate.

I believe in evolution - micro evolution (skin color, for instance). Macro evolution (monkey turning into a human), I find to be a bunch of crap with a lot of holes in its theory.

It's the same thing, and it is very much in evidence in the observed biosphere in every stage you'd want.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:17 pm

As a Christian, I'll sit here and tell you I believe in evolution. We've seen the evolution of species even within the last few hundred years. I don't see why evolution and religion cannot exist together. Even the Catholic Church now acknowledges evolution.

My honest opinion is some people interpret the Bible too literally. For one, it was written in different languages thousands of years ago and thus the exact meaning of some words have been lost with time and translation. For example do we know that when God created the Earth, that he did it in one "24 hour day"? No we do not. And my opinion is that no, Gods "day" is not our defined 24 hour day.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Continental

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 3):
That's certainly not the case.

Well, sure it is. Ask any halfway decent scientist, and they won't be able to say evolution occurred with 100% certainty. There is so much data supporting evolution, that they essentially treat it as 100% true. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of evolution and I treat it as 100% true!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
I know. I've watched it happen in the lab many times. I've manipulated it many times. I've used it many times. I've counted on it many times.

There are still people who believe that the earth is flat. Does anyone KNOW for 100% sure that it's round? Well, the evidence for it is about as strong as the evidence for evolution, actually.

Right, but there is so much data (even that you produced!) that you treat it as true. There is a tremendous amount of data that suggests that evolution has occurred. I believe evolution started from the primordial soup, it makes sense, it is backed by tons of data and most treat it as true because of that data. But they can't say with 100% certainty that this is what happened. I thought this was good science, unless I'm wrong...

signol

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 28):

checkmark 

signol

Tugger

Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
Unfortunately, it is inconsistent with what is written in Genesis. Unless you warp and twist what is written in Genesis to the point that it is completely unrecognizable.

Unless Genesis is an allegory for how life began. I mean how ould you have explained life process and its emergence to a person in the 1st through 4th century AD?

To whit:

God: OK first there was nothing but this infinitesimal spec of incredibly dense, hot matter, called a singularity, which exploded into being and very quickly cooled and developed into the universe as we know it today. then after billions of years as stars formed and created basic elements and molecules the dust and rubble began to accumulate into accretion discs and form galaxies, star systems and planets. the earth is one of these billions upon billions of worlds. And on this planet, as it formed, cooled and the atmosphere changed molecules began to form complex chains and eventually one of these formed into basic life forms like bacteria, and eventually one of these bacteria split in to two and began multicellular development, slowly evolving into different forms and eventually becoming the modern animals and humans you know today.....

Man: Uhhh.... (scrachtes head) ..... (pauses) .... Hunh?

God: (frustrated) OK... how about this: In the beginning there was darkness, then there was this bright light and the universe came into existence. And over the next few billion... you don't know billion do you.... OK over a relatively short period of time... compared to the time span of the universe lets say like days to you... it developed into what you see now. Then life started and here on earth bacteria developed and began cellular division.... you don't know what a cell is or bacteria is do you.... OK lets say you have this man and from this, after some time, a piece of him split off and grew into another person.... grew into a woman, and it stayed like this for a while and life continued in a very simple way. Basic life with just moss and trees and stuff, and pools of biologic goop..... dang you don't get that either do you..... OK just imagine it as the origianl people I desscribed and they lived simply in this perfect garden of life, then more complex forms developed, and then lets say they got smarter but when they did that they started to not live so simply and idyllically and had to work harder to actually advance....
Are you getting this at all? Show me what you have.... you wrote what? Ummm OK guess it will have to do for now.... I'm sure you'll figure it out as you learn more.....

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 26):
And looking back at us, I guess we didn't do too bad, considering we all come from the biggest incest and inbreeding orgy ever, not to mention the limited genepool.

Yeah, I've always wondered about that, with Adam and Eve's children having only their siblings (or, yuck, their parents) to procreate with.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

trvyyz
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):
It is observed all the time at varying speeds, depending on the organism.

We are talking about man and not microorganisms.

britjap

Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 31):
Yeah, I've always wondered about that, with Adam and Eve's children having only their siblings (or, yuck, their parents) to procreate with.

And don't forget it happened all over again with Noah. Maybe God's got a thing for that?!?! icky

David L

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:32 pm

True, but one group at least tries to understand and is backed up, and driven, by some evidence. Nobody said life, the universe and everything had to be simple.  Smile

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 32):

It's the same general mechanism working at different rates. The same evidence exists for the evolution of humans except the "observing during one person's lifetime" bit. We can't dismiss all the other evidence just because no one person has seen man evolve from early primates. If we wake up and the ground's covered in snow, can we say we don't know whether or not it snowed during the night because no-one saw it happen?

Tugger

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 34):

It's the same general mechanism working at different rates.

The other point to make is that "man" is made up completely of micro-organisms!

Tugg

jonjonnl

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
Science does not need "belief", it needs validation by consistency. And evolution is pretty much the archetype for that.

I'm a scientist and I can recommend you reading Kuhn's 'The structure of scientific revolutions.' Science is a lot about 'belief'. While we try to do our best to work with the so-called working hypotheses and to remain objective the truth is once we establish a paradigm, we stick to it until we can't anymore (and some - fortunately few - never 'release' the paradigm again, normally older scientists who've held it as true for their entire careers).

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):
Evolution is something that actually and verifiably happens in the physical world.

Yes, indeed. And we should add that a 'theory' for a scientist is NOT the same thing as for a layman. A theory is a fully accepted and thoroughly tested hypothesis. A theory represents something that we are certain about for the time being and that with much difficulty will prove false.

Quoting Continental (Reply 29):
Ask any halfway decent scientist, and they won't be able to say evolution occurred with 100% certainty.

Yes, we are. For you I recommend Prothero's book 'Evolution: what the fossils say and why it matters.' Donald is a respected palaeontologist so I can recommend you the book as being worth reading.

What exactly is the difference? Evolution does not act differently on different species. It acts on natural variability as produced by genetic mutations and as generations go by it produces a skew towards the individuals that are better adapted to a particular environment. Because it occurs as generations go by, it is faster in organisms that reproduce at a faster pace but that is the only difference.
joão in ams

DocLightning

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Yup. And man evolves much more slowly than microorganisms do because we reproduce every 20 years and they reproduce every 20 minutes.

So over recorded history, human evolution hasn't done very much.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Oh it has been, Klaus beat me to it though:

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):

Wrong. It is observed all the time at varying speeds, depending on the organism. Yet this myth never seems to die out. It is especially visible with microorganisms because of their rapid generation rate.

Here is a good summary of the better known experiments that confirm evolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_evolution

Quoting Continental (Reply 29):
But they can't say with 100% certainty that this is what happened. I thought this was good science, unless I'm wrong...

I get your point, but using your logic the same thing can be said about every scientific fact out there. The evidence for evolution is much more concrete and available than say, evidence for Parallel Universes and the like.

Also, bear in mind nobody calls it the "Theory of Evolution" anymore. Back in Darwin's day of course they did. But nowadays it's just referred to as "Evolution". I think that goes to show how it is accepted as fact.

David L

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Quoting Jonjonnl (Reply 36):
Yes, indeed. And we should add that a 'theory' for a scientist is NOT the same thing as for a layman. A theory is a fully accepted and thoroughly tested hypothesis. A theory represents something that we are certain about for the time being and that with much difficulty will prove false.

Good point. I hope you've pre-empted the usual "the clue is in the name - it's only a theory".  Smile

They're called "theories" because that's what they are to begin with.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 26):

Well didn't you know that the Garden of Eden was in Alabama?  biggrin   silly 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

DocLightning

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:16 pm

No monkey has ever turned into a human.

Furthermore, humans DID NOT EVOLVE FROM APES. Humans ARE APES. With 97% of our DNA in common with both bonobos and chimps, the argument that a difference in cranial size and the presence of an opponens pollicis muscle somehow makes us an entire separate genus is pretty absurd.

Quoting Jonjonnl (Reply 36):

Not only that, but a theory represents a model that we can use to make predictions on the behavior of the natural world. For example, Einstein's theory of relativity has been proven to a high degree of accuracy, but it is not called a law. By contrast, Newton's laws of motion have been disproven (by Einstein) and yet they are still called laws.

I don't like to call it the theory of evolution, I like to call it evolutionary theory.

An inadequately tested and unproven supposition is called a hypothesis, not a theory.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

David L

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 38):
I get your point, but using your logic the same thing can be said about every scientific fact out there.

checkmark  And what does the same logic say about religious "facts"? 100%? I don't think so.  Smile

PacNWjet

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 2):
I believe that evolution is a better and more scientific explanation than any others I've heard of.

Evolution is not an explanation, it is a process of change. The relevant question is what explains the sources, pace, and direction of evolution? That is, or should be, where the debate resides.

ShyFlyer

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:34 pm

As a Christian, I'll sit here and tell you I believe in evolution. We've seen the evolution of species even within the last few hundred years. I don't see why evolution and religion cannot exist together. Even the Catholic Church now acknowledges evolution.

checkmark 
About the only thing I disagree with is the idea that humans evolved from apes. This is despite the fact that I've met people who act like apes sometimes.  Big grin

And my opinion is that no, Gods "day" is not our defined 24 hour day.

Somewhere in the Bible it is mentioned that a man's lifespan is but a mere moment to God (or something along those lines). Basically God experiences time a lot different than us, according to this passage.
I lift things up and put them down.

Springbok747

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm

There's nothing to 'believe in' - it is a proven fact.

I don't care what a minister or any religious figure has to say about evolution. Religion is crap...but that's just my opinion.
אני תומך בישראל

GDB

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 pm

The world is a sphere? Do you believe it?
The Earth orbits the sun? Do you believe it?
The Solar System is NOT the center of the universe? Do you believe it?
The Dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago? Do you believe it?

What has the above got in common with the subject of this thread? And who in the past, even a few today still, have resisted these discoveries?

Rj111

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Not accepting Evolution is akin to not accepting the world is spherical as far as i'm concerned.

All the evidence we need is in front of us. In our family and DNA.

It's one of the most fascinating and elegant findings discovered, and adds a whole new perspective to the study of animals. It allows you to truely appreciate animals and how they have fought for their right to exist in the world today.

It can also teach man so so much - as i just mentioned about 15 minutes ago in a thread about 787 wings. It's the results of millenia of trial an about various different design and adaptation all packaged neatly in front of our eyes.

GDB

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:59 pm

It also has been a factor in many medical advances, so I take it that the creationists would not accept any treatment that has been informed by the understanding that Darwin began.

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 42):
100%? I don't think so.

If you ask the church I'm pretty sure they'd beg to differ.  cheeky