3. Button
4. Kubica
5. Raikkonen
6. Hamilton
7. Vettel
8. Heidfeld
9. Alonso
10. Trulli

I got 8 out of the top 10 cars right! Wrong order though, besides Kubica and Rubens... I should have placed a bet on this or something  

[Edited 2009-03-28 07:20:39]

baroque

RE: 2009 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 99):
Mercedes must be pleased, not only are their engines out front but they are being paid for them as well.

That is the real puzzle. McC can hardly blame the donk when it is going so well in the Braun who had much less time to fit the thing. And how can McC make a mess of their aero after all their years of having good aero and handling?

There looked to be some awful bumps on one of the turns. I don't remember them being as bad in earlier years. Maybe this years cars are more sensitive to the surface being level???

waterpolodan

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:33 pm

That is definitely the case, this year's cars are more dependent on the diffuser and underbody airflow than ever, and for proper underbody airflow to be maintained, they have to be set up extra stiff so that bumps and undulations don't cause the car to bottom out and cut off the air to the diffuser, which would instantly rob the car of much of its downforce. Mclaren may well be having issues with this, it reminds me of the Leyton House cars from the '89-'90 time frame. They were terribly slow everywhere except the absolute smoothest tracks like Paul Ricard, and then they were quite quick, because they finally could run optimized aero and suspension settings.

scrubbsywg

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:41 pm

they released the weights of the cars....

Brawn GP cars were the HEAVIEST during the third qualifying session and still handily put the cars on the front row. The Brawn GP car appears to be a beast.

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5111228,00.html

Williams have withdrawn their protest against red bull and ferrari.

B747forever

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Hmailton will start from P20 (P18 now that the Toyotas got also a penalty) tomorrow: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9082.html

Wow, seems that Hamilton may go without any points today!

And here are the race weights: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9085.html

It is quite amazing that they show us the loads. The both Brawn GP cars are not light, they are pretty heavy. With the speed they had yesterday on the qualifying with the same fuel load, it seems they will go for a win!

Alessandro

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 pm

So what are Nakajima doing? 14th and the lightest car by a large margin.
I see think most are on a 2 or 1 stopper and Nakajima on a 3 stopper strategy.
StealthZ, Brawn seem to not focused at all with the KERS because of financial restrictions, seem like the system is best when you have a long strait. I personally think the ex-Ferrari team with Barrichello, Brawn and co are very clever in everything they do. I expect Brawn to very fast on certain tracks and less fast on other.

CXB77L

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 101):
That is the real puzzle. McC can hardly blame the donk when it is going so well in the Braun who had much less time to fit the thing.

Maybe Mercedes accidentally swapped the McLaren engines for Brawn ...  Wink

Oh, and it's McLaren, not McClaren  Angry

B747forever

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 105):
seem like the system is best when you have a long strait

Exactly, will be interesting to see how it will work in Sepang next week.

scrubbsywg

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:36 pm

the FIA made a mistake with nakajima's weight.

updated to somewhere around 685

baroque

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 102):
Mclaren may well be having issues with this, it reminds me of the Leyton House cars from the '89-'90 time frame.

Could well be, although there must be a stack of inf in the records for Williams at least. Have you ever seen a TV program called "Gentlemen, lift your skirts"?
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/217950
Library Synopsis

Documentary programme looking at the Williams car racing team in Didcot, Oxon., through the 1980 winter after the decisions in Paris to outlaw a technological development that had made their cars supreme, "the skirts."

They had to increase the clearance to lower the downforces being generated by the IIRC cooling fans. Again IIRC, the Williams engines were normally aspirated, and the turbos on the ?Renaults did not allow sufficient clearance for the technique to be as effective on them.

Google knows all about it, but the entries are uninformative

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/2/28/201425/194

Includes this:
There was a third important technical innovation in Formula 1 that is worth mentioning. In the late 1980s, Alan Jones' engineers came up with the idea of ceramic spring-loaded skirts along the side of the car, between the front and back wheels.

The idea again was to create a partial vacuum under the car and increase downforce. Alan Jones was unbeatable that year.

The authorities banned it on the grounds that if the skirts failed and and car experienced a sudden loss of downforce it could literally flip away into the air. Not a nice thing to happen if you're cornering at high speed.

There was a TV documentary on this subject many years ago, called "Gentlemen, lift your skirts". Very interesting to watch, if one could ever track it down these days.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 106):
Oh, and it's McLaren, not McClaren

Oops. I thought it looked wrong, but no excuse. Duly chastised. Saves a letter when tryping too athough not if tryping McL!

Alessandro

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 108):
the FIA made a mistake with nakajima's weight.

updated to somewhere around 685

Ooops, that put things in a different perspective from 614 to 685 kilo. The Brawns got between
650-670 in weight.

sudden

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 107):
Quoting Alessandro (Reply 105):
seem like the system is best when you have a long strait

Exactly, will be interesting to see how it will work in Sepang next week.

Not really as Kimi used it twice over one lap to get good acceleration out of 2 corners, which were not followed by long straits.
So they can use it in different ways.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 99):
My theory..

.......is not correct I'm afraid.  Wink
For a big part it has to do with the diffuser that Brawn GP running with. The one they are running has a design that gives the car more downforce. Other teams found their diffuser against the rules, but fact is that the tech guys at Brawn GP designed theirs based on a small but very vital details of the diffuser, that more or less all the other teams missed out on in the rule book.
Renault has apparently already built one, but I'm not sure when they are going to use it.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

B747forever

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 111):
Renault has apparently already built one, but I'm not sure when they are going to use it.

I expect more teams, if not all, to build it also.

scrubbsywg

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 pm

.......is not correct I'm afraid. Wink
For a big part it has to do with the diffuser that Brawn GP running with. The one they are running has a design that gives the car more downforce. Other teams found their diffuser against the rules, but fact is that the tech guys at Brawn GP designed theirs based on a small but very vital details of the diffuser, that more or less all the other teams missed out on in the rule book.

Considering we now know that the cars are incredibly fast, can we safely assume this is because they have the double decker diffuser design? I think maybe they just got the car right. I havent really seen a technical explanation on why such a diffuser would give them such a huge advantage. Toyota and williams didnt exactly "blow away" the competition.has the same type of diffuser design. The added double decker area is fairly small relative to the whole diffuser.

I am trying to find an explanation from someone more knowledgeable on diffuser/downforce effects on laptime until a really form an opinion. On the flipside, even if mclaren had been running this diffuser style, they would not likely be at the front. If mclaren can generate the utter shite car it appears they have, how come the brains at honda/brawnGP(who were working on it for a long while with honda money) could not produce a good car?

Alessandro

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Not really as Kimi used it twice over one lap to get good acceleration out of 2 corners, which were not followed by long straits.
So they can use it in different ways.

Sure, but how good was his qualification, not as good as Brawn´s. Basically the KERS is expected to best during other races like Sepang, but surely it can be used on every track.

Alessandro

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 113):
Considering we now know that the cars are incredibly fast, can we safely assume this is because they have the double decker diffuser design? I think maybe they just got the car right. I havent really seen a technical explanation on why such a diffuser would give them such a huge advantage. Toyota and williams didnt exactly "blow away" the competition.has the same type of diffuser design. The added double decker area is fairly small relative to the whole diffuser.

I am trying to find an explanation from someone more knowledgeable on diffuser/downforce effects on laptime until a really form an opinion. On the flipside, even if mclaren had been running this diffuser style, they would not likely be at the front. If mclaren can generate the utter shite car it appears they have, how come the brains at honda/brawnGP(who were working on it for a long while with honda money) could not produce a good car?

I think Honda sacrificed 2nd half of last season to work on this car, McLaren was busy winning
it on the 2nd half. That´s the difference.

B747forever

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 115):
think Honda sacrificed 2nd half of last season to work on this car, McLaren was busy winning

They pretty much sacrificed the 2008 season after a couple of races. It is really paying off now.

EZEIZA

Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I almost completely missed the qualy cause I fell asleep in front of the tv (it started at 3am after a very looooong working Friday) but I somehow woke up to see the last 2 minutes of Q3. Granted thay I haven´t been following with too much detail the pre season testing, but I for one am amazed at how everything seems different. Not only the cars design', but never would I have imagined a starting grid like this one! For sure this is going to be an interesting season ... unless Brawn dominates all by their own the whole season!

I hope I can stay awake tonight!!! lol

rgds

sudden

Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:52 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 115):
I think Honda sacrificed 2nd half of last season to work on this car, McLaren was busy winning

Indeed!
And Brawn GP is leaving the competition behind, and that includes the big guns as well. Big grin
However, the times set were really close today!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

LTU932

Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Let's see how the diffusor thing will work out for Brawn, because this could eventually break them. Button and Barichello seem to be good drivers, but mostly because they have a good car now, built by the Superbrain himself. The only one who seems to be confirming his talent today is Sebastian Vettel because he's more versatile.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy that this is the final season I have to put up with Fernando Tornello as F1 commentator. The guy has become bias after the overtake scandal in Spa, he seems to side more with what FIA does, which has overruled its chief steward Charlie Whiting. In fact, since he's become so damn bias, I started to hate him, but at the moment, I have no choice but to put up with him.

Next year, I'll probably watch F1 on RTL or, if I can get cable, on ORF. F1 on Premiere is going to be tough to get with my budget.

MadameConcorde

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 106):
Maybe Mercedes accidentally swapped the McLaren engines for Brawn ..

This thing about McLaren not performing properly really bugs me.
What is it about the diffusers and KERS?
Why have they decided to change everything around from last year to this season?

I really get to disliine Max and Bernie even more as it goes.  Angry

I am going to ask NASA to supply McLaren with Spece Suttle engines to replace Mercedes.

scrubbsywg

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 120):

This thing about McLaren not performing properly really bugs me.
What is it about the diffusers and KERS?
Why have they decided to change everything around from last year to this season?

I really get to disliine Max and Bernie even more as it goes. Angry

I am going to ask NASA to supply McLaren with Spece Suttle engines to replace Mercedes.

i am a big ferrari fan, an they are not doing so well either, but i hate it when fanboys from any team(especially ferrari or mclaren) are so upset because their teams are no longer on top for now like it is some sort for mclaren and ferrari to be fighting for the lead.

Fact is, F1 has had major rule changes over and over. Active suspensions being banned. Ground effects being banned. Turbo cars being banned. slicks being banned. traction control being banned.

It happens, it is nothing new. Brawn and a few others look like they may have gotten it right. Mclaren and ferrari have been knocked off their high horse. Too bad.

MadameConcorde

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Seeing World Champion Hammy starting the race in 20th position because of the gear box problem is totally surrealistic.  Sad

What time is the race Central Europe time considering the change of hour tonight? The whold thing is totally confusing I may not even watch the race.  Sad

I was walking part of the track in Monaco today thinking how the GP is going to be this year.  Confused

waterpolodan

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 109):
They had to increase the clearance to lower the downforces being generated by the IIRC cooling fans. Again IIRC, the Williams engines were normally aspirated, and the turbos on the ?Renaults did not allow sufficient clearance for the technique to be as effective on them.

You're getting it a little mixed up. It was the ground effect venturis pioneered by Lotus you're thinking of. Their heyday was in '78-'82, and Williams may have been the first to use the sliding skirts that sealed the car to the track, but they weren't the only team, Ferrari had them on their championship winning 312T4 in 1979. They did have an advantage over Ferrari in that the flat 12 in the 312 was too wide to get full width venturi tunnels, so by 1980 the 312T5 was completely outclassed by the narrow V8s in the Cosworth powered cars and the turbo V6 in the Renaults, which had about the same angle as the Cossie so it had no disadvantage in terms of potential venturi width. The Williams didn't have any clear technical edge in 1980, it was just a well designed car and more reliable than the competition. Definitely not a world beater, it was more consistency than speed that won Williams the titles in '80 and '81.

The authorities banned it on the grounds that if the skirts failed and and car experienced a sudden loss of downforce it could literally flip away into the air.

That's exaggerated, if the skirt failed it would be a partial downforce loss and it would probably cause the driver to spin when entering the next corner, similar to a car losing its rear wing these days. No flying involved!

In the late 1980s, Alan Jones' engineers came up with the idea of ceramic spring-loaded skirts along the side of the car, between the front and back wheels.

The idea again was to create a partial vacuum under the car and increase downforce. Alan Jones was unbeatable that year.

Like I said, they have their info wrong. If you look at the results, Williams was hardly unbeatable. Also, the FIA banned skirts in '80 or '81 and also introduced a minimum ride height to reduce downforce. The teams, being the clever bastards they are, sidestepped this rule by producing cars that had hydraulic levers in the cockpit. When they left the pits, they were the legal height, but as soon as they entered the track, the drivers hit the lever and the car lowered itself right to the ground to maximize the seal with the track. As I mentioned earlier, running very low requires super stiff suspension, so this ended up being one of the reasons the tunnels were banned, drivers were cornering with previously unimagined force and driving cars with springs so stiff they were being shaken to the point of exhaustion in the cockpits. By '83 they banned the tunnels too, resulting in the strange looking machines of '83 and '84 with their little mini sidepods way back by the rear tires.

For a big part it has to do with the diffuser that Brawn GP running with

Brawn's performance advantage is such that I'm inclined to believe that even without the diffuser, they would be at or near the front. They seem at least half a second a lap faster than any other car, and this is also the estimated advantage that the non-diffuser teams attribute to the better designed diffusers on the Brawn, Williams, and Toyota cars.

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 113):

I am trying to find an explanation from someone more knowledgeable on diffuser/downforce effects on laptime until a really form an opinion.

As I mentioned above, I've read that the difference in laptimes between the diffuser on a car like the Ferrari and a car like the Brawn is around half a second, depending on the track of course. This is the best estimate of a team that hopes the diffuser is ruled illegal, so that might be an exaggeration anyway. In any case, it's not dramatic enough to take a car from the back of the grid to the pole, so much of the Brawn's performance is really down to great engineering in every respect, not just the rear of the car.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 120):

I really get to disliine Max and Bernie even more as it goes. Angry

It can be frustrating to have your favorite team seemingly be disadvantaged by the rules, but don't be mad at Max and Bernie, every team had an equal chance to get it right and Mclaren clearly got it wrong, they have only themselves to blame. The same thing happened in 2005, rules were changed and Ferrari found themselves on the outside looking in after years of dominance, but I didn't hate the FIA for it, I just got mad at bridgestone for building shitty tires  Wink

GrahamHill

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 pm

In the late 1980s, Alan Jones' engineers

They probably meant "late 1970s"...

In what year?

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 123):
Their heyday was in '78-'82, and Williams may have been the first to use the sliding skirts that sealed the car to the track, but they weren't the only team, Ferrari had them on their championship winning 312T4 in 1979.

It was Lotus, wasn't it? Mario Andretti won the 1978 championship with his Lotus 79 having the side skirts.

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 123):
It can be frustrating to have your favorite team seemingly be disadvantaged by the rules, but don't be mad at Max and Bernie, every team had an equal chance to get it right and Mclaren clearly got it wrong, they have only themselves to blame. The same thing happened in 2005, rules were changed and Ferrari found themselves on the outside looking in after years of dominance, but I didn't hate the FIA for it, I just got mad at bridgestone for building shitty tires

Yes, and let's not forget that McLaren took the best advantage of the last major rule change in 1998! They interpreted so well the new rules that Hakkinen and Coulthard lapped all other drivers in Australia!

This year, it's not the case. Too bad for them, but I'm sure they will find a solution to correct this. Probably not before Barcelona, but better late than never  Wink

threefourthree

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Smile

Alessandro

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:35 pm

MadameC, 8am CET is the starting time.

TSV

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:07 am

The authorities banned it on the grounds that if the skirts failed and and car experienced a sudden loss of downforce it could literally flip away into the air. Not a nice thing to happen if you're cornering at high speed.

Skirts were banned because the governing body eventually realised they shouldn't have been allowed in the first place because they were a moveable aerodynamic device and moveable aerodynamic devices had been banned since the first (high) wings of the late 60s.

Alessandro

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:48 am

Quoting Tsv (Reply 127):
Skirts were banned because the governing body eventually realised they shouldn't have been allowed in the first place because they were a moveable aerodynamic device and moveable aerodynamic devices had been banned since the first (high) wings of the late 60s.

There was a race on the 1970ies with a fan in the back of the car, Nikki Lauda won that race at Anderstorp, Sweden, it was banned in the next race.

GrahamHill

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:53 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 128):
There was a race on the 1970ies with a fan in the back of the car, Nikki Lauda won that race at Anderstorp, Sweden, it was banned in the next race.

Yes, it was the Brabham BT46 and Lauda won the Swedish GP in 1978. And the FIA banned this system because it could suck in gravels and throw them out trough the rear fan.

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:01 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 122):
Seeing World Champion Hammy starting the race in 20th position because of the gear box problem is totally surrealistic.

He will be starting from 18th, but still a really bad position to start from.

I really wonder if we will see a lot of cars losing their front wings at the start now that they are so huge.

CXB77L

Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:02 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 121):
but i hate it when fanboys from any team(especially ferrari or mclaren) are so upset because their teams are no longer on top for now like it is some sort for mclaren and ferrari to be fighting for the lead.

So do I. I'm a Williams fan, and it's already more than a decade since they last won a championship, and almost five years since they last won a race. While I do dislike them both, I don't blame Max and Bernie for the lack of performance from my team.

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:26 am

I have a question here. Why does Speed TV always broadcast Formula 1 delayed? It is not directly live, seems to be a delay of 10minutes. I find this quite annoying. Back in Sweden it was always real time (no delay of broadcasting).

Alessandro

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:47 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 132):
I have a question here. Why does Speed TV always broadcast Formula 1 delayed? It is not directly live, seems to be a delay of 10minutes. I find this quite annoying. Back in Sweden it was always real time (no delay of broadcasting).

Nowadays it´s Viasat sport whom sends the race in Sweden.

sudden

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 am

Seeing World Champion Hammy starting the race in 20th position because of the gear box problem is totally surrealistic

I may not even watch the race

If you are a true fan of Hamilton (which you seem to be), you would watch the race even if he needs to start from the back.
I think it's good that media is focusing on somebody else (Brawn GP/Button) then Hamilton, Kimi or Massa.
Hamilton sure gets media attention, but not for the reason you want.

And if the Mclaren car is as "bad" as it looked yesterday (and what Mclaren says as well), you can skip a few races from now on.

I personally like this cause now I can see what Hamilton is able to do in a less good car then he's used to drive.

Enjoy the race all!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 133):
Nowadays it´s Viasat sport whom sends the race in Sweden

Yeah, but isnt still broad casted live (no delay)?

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:08 am

Wow, what a terrible start Rubens made!

Quite a few drivers lost their wings!

Good start for the both Ferraris!

Alessandro

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:16 am

Button leads after 7 laps, Heikki is out.
Viasat sports sends it live yes....

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:16 am

Hmm, after all it seems that Speed TV are broadcasting live now. Weird!

Vettel is really quick now, and Kovalainen has retired from the race.

MadameConcorde

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:23 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 134):
If you are a true fan of Hamilton (which you seem to be), you would watch the race even if he needs to start from the back.

I am going to keep an eye on the race, of course!
I love Hammy whatever circumstances and rules given by the FIA

I will have to wait until CERN fixes the Big Machine in Geneva.

Go Large Hadron Collider!

Go Hammy!!! You're still the Best!!!

angel   airplane   cheerful 

EZEIZA

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 am

Terrible start by Rubinho .. but he's recovering, and pretty lucky too. Twice he it other cars and he's still in there!
Button and Vettel are superb so far.
Massa had a great start/first lap but then justi like Kimi, the Ferrari is proving to be not so fast.

The important thing is that finally F1 is back!! Big grin

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 139):
I love Hammy whatever circumstances and rules given by the FIA

It seems that you blame FIA for McLarens bad performance. It is all McLarens fault that they dont have a competitive car, and no ones else fault.

EZEIZA

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 am

Safety Car in ... what's the new rule with that?

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 am

Safety Car is out!! Nakajima crashed and now SC is out.

EZEIZA

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 am

OMG did you see Massa asking the SC what to do?! what's going on here?

B747forever

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:36 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 144):
OMG did you see Massa asking the SC what to do?! what's going on here?

Yeah, seems really weird and confusing. I think the order is

Button
Vettel
Massa
Kubica
Kimi

EDIT:

I dont get why the SC is still out. The accident is already cleaned up.

[Edited 2009-03-28 23:43:04]

MadameConcorde

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:12 am

Hammy got up to 5th, not so bad after all... considering the car is wrong!

I hope McLaren will rectify and improve the car for the next coming races.

Go Hammy!
You are the Champion, my friend!
You are the Champion of the World!!  angel   airplane   cheerful 

EZEIZA

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:21 am

Ferrari fans world wide, this looks like it is going to be a tough season.

And I hope not only Ferrari, but to ther teams to get their act together because if not we are looking forward to a single dominator (=boring races).

btw, decent race by lewis, all things considered

BlueElephant

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 am

Anybody know if Hamilton has to pit again? for the Soft Tires?

MadameConcorde

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:25 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 147):
And I hope not only Ferrari, but to ther teams to get their act together because if not we are looking forward to a single dominator (=boring races).

You are totally right. For one I hope McLaren will get their act together.
I want to see Hammy win here in Monaco!