mt99
Topic Author

Japan, ATM Tips

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Just a quick follow up on a thread i started a few weeks ago - Partly to say thank you to all of those who posted and gave me tips on my trip to Japan.. and partly to share some impressions of my trip!

First.. Tokyo is simply amazing! Makes New York look like a candle lit village. What does someone from Tokyo think when when they get to Times Square: "Is this what all the fuss is about?". So many people everywhere, so many lights.. so clean! - almost overwhelming.

People wearing face masks. Hmm ok some people we asked said that people wear them because they are sick and don't want to contaminate others. Fine. But i think most people are afraid to catch stuff. Thats a bit psychotic if you ask me.

AA sux. The 777 carpeting was ragged to point of having holes, dirty dirty walls, sour attendants.. ugh..

Japanese are very "uniform". When we got back to the US it was so obvious that this country is a melting pot. People at the jetway were Black, Hispanic, Polish... I gues that explains why the Harajuku Kids hang out on Sundays.. to be diferett.

A
Step into my office, baby

Aaron747

RE: Japan, ATM Tips

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:04 am

Quoting Mt99 (Thread starter):
But i think most people are afraid to catch stuff. Thats a bit psychotic if you ask me.

It has practical purposes - it's very difficult to miss a day of work in this country. People have paid sick leave but rarely use it for fear of inconveniencing co-workers or management with extra tasks. It's related to the same reason workers rack up so many overtime hours here yet achieve such low productivity compared to other countries - you simply stay until the boss goes home, whether you have enough work to do or not. "Looking busy" is a corporate pastime in Japan.

Japanese are very "uniform"

"Homogeneous" is the buzzword around here. It's a huge social mistake to stand out too prominently in Japanese culture.

I gues that explains why the Harajuku Kids hang out on Sundays.. to be diferett.

Essentially, yes. It's the only outlet they have since they are just the usual black-wearing salaryman/woman clone on weekdays. But don't be fooled - a lot of those kids are permanently unemployed and live off rich mom and dad's overzealous protectionism and generosity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

COIAHLGW

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 am

So what were the ATM tips?  Smile

KLM685

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Quoting COIAHLGW (Reply 2):
So what were the ATM tips?

Lol I got to the end of the post asking the same thing. Although I liked his Japan impressions!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

mt99
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Quoting COIAHLGW (Reply 2):
So what were the ATM tips? Smile

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 3):

Lol I got to the end of the post asking the same thing

Sorry about the late reply. Been having a.net login issues  Smile

The "ATM Tips" part of the title, was in reference to my original post a few weeks back asking the forum about any ATM tips for my Japan trip. Since this is a "Thank you" for all the people who took the time to reply before - i wanted to make sure that the title reflected the original.

In anycase.. ill leave you with this regarding ATMs... when you get near.. they talk to you...  Smile

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 1):

"Homogeneous"

Much better word. Thank you
Step into my office, baby

HT

Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Tokyo is simply amazing! Makes New York look like a candle lit village. What does someone from Tokyo think when when they get to Times Square: "Is this what all the fuss is about?"

LOL !
Reminded me to put a trip to Japan (and Tokyo) back onto my list of things (trips) to do. For some unknown reason it had disappeared.
Looks like in 2010 some FF-miles have to be spent ...

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 4):
ATMs... when you get near.. they talk to you...  

Reminds me of the street lamps they installed recently in a bit touristy city here in northern Germany:If you close in to them they start telling stories about the surrounding area ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

gocaps16

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:21 am

Gosh, I haven't been to Tokyo in ages besides going to NRT on my way to Sydney. Can you dispense 1000 yen bills at ATMs in Tokyo? Last time I checked, they didn't, only 5000 yen bills.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be in Tokyo more and more this summer whilst the ETC is 1000 yens from here, but the 10 hour drive sucks.