Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

BlueElephant
Topic Author

F1 2009: Malaysian Grand Prix

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

New race on Sunday!

The First race demonstrated that Brawn could be well ahead of the pack...I do have a feeling that McLaren, Ferrari and others will come on strong with new updates, the only question is...how long will that take.

As always....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBg-VWTlj8

A Lap of Sepang Circuit with Fisichella.

Oh....P.S. Go McLaren!  Smile

Discuss!

B747forever

RE: F1 2009: Malaysian Grand Prix

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Thread starter):
...I do have a feeling that McLaren, Ferrari and others will come on strong with new updates, the only question is...how long will that take

Well it seems it will take a little bit longer for McLaren: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9102.html
Work Hard, Fly Right

GrahamHill

Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm not expecting any improvement for Ferrari and McLaren until the first European GP in Barcelona.

But maybe they will be slightly better in Sepang. I think that it's a track that would suit better both teams.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

jush

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, Brawn GP is miles ahead. And with little testing allowed this season I don't see them closing the gap pretty soon.

Maybe they have just short lived fame but if Brawn GP can hold that level of Performance or get it even higher without the others catching alot up I suggest it could be a boring season.

Oh yeah. Hopefully not

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

waterpolodan

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:39 pm

I think this is a track that will suit the cars with KERS more than Australia because of the longer periods of full throttle running. It will also present an interesting test of the aero package. Sepang is a great track for drivers, but it is also full of high speed turns which in the past meant cars couldn't run very close together because losing front end grip in a high speed turn was killer. Now, with the new wings in theory we should be able to see cars nose to tail through all the fast bends which will make for much closer racing. It'll also be interesting to see if Bridgestone brings a set of tires which is more effective than the supersofts in Australia, which tailed off much too quickly and created the scene at the end of the race where drivers like Rosberg and Vettel just started dropping 3-4 seconds a lap to the cars around them because of tire degradation. Also, the weather forecast a week out is that there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms for all 3 days of the race weekend, so we may well have our first chance to see these cars running in the wet, which will be very interesting, a real driver's challenge with the reduced rear grip plus a wet track. All in all, it should be very interesting, and if it rains in the race I'm tipping Barrichello to win because he's always seemed to be a better rain driver than Jenson to me (who can forget the first win at Hockenheim?).

Just like last week's thread, I'll try 'n predict the grid for sunday's race... I'll probably be way off, but it's fun seeing if I get any of it right, though my prediction is based on a dry track for Q-

1. Barrichello
2. Kubica
3. Button
4. Vettel
5. Rosberg
6. Trulli
7. Massa
8. Heidfeld
9. Webber
10. Alonso
11. Raikkonen
12. Nakajima
13. Hamilton
14. Glock
15. Bourdais
16. Kovalainen
17. Buemi
18. Sutil
19. Piquet
20. Fisichella

One last thought... going through the list of drivers this year, it amazes me just how good this field is. Not only the drivers, but the cars too. I started watching F1 around 12 years ago, and even then, into the big money era, we had cars driven by guys who were just there to pay the bills, even as recently as Super Aguri we had drivers like Yuji Ide who had no business in this type of car. Looking at the grid now, though, I'm convinced that every one of these drivers could be a winner in the right car, as it is more than half of them have already won at least 1 race, and the cars are closer together than ever. Sure, the STR and the Force India may tend to be at the back, but they're not 2 or 3 seconds off the tail end of the field as some other teams have been in the past like Simtek or Life (in those cases it was more like 5-6 seconds!). Anyway, enough rambling, I'm just very pleased to see such a competitive grid and I think this may be one of the best seasons ever, thank god they didn't implement the "winner takes all" crap!

[Edited 2009-03-31 09:41:49]

GrahamHill

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 4):
who can forget the first win at Hockenheim

He showed amazing skills on that day! What a race!

LTU932

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:18 pm

This should be come interessting. The second of several tests that will prove that Ross Brawn still has what it takes. If his boys can repeat what happened in Australia, then I'll be more confident to say that they are indeed a top team despite the low budget.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:43 pm

I was reading some drivers are starting to compalin about the local starting time. During the last race the commentators were constantly talking ablut how the track temp was going down and that it could create some problems ...

rgds
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

B747forever

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 7):
I was reading some drivers are starting to compalin about the local starting time. During the last race the commentators were constantly talking ablut how the track temp was going down and that it could create some problems ...

Yes 17:00 is quite late and towards the end of the race the sun gets really bad.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Stealthz

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 7):
I was reading some drivers are starting to compalin about the local starting time.

The later starting time was imposed on these races by Bernie so the Europeans could have their toast & croissants ready by the time the race started.
If the drivers are unhappy then the GPDA should stand together along with FOTA and say that this situation is unacceptable.
But guess what, they won't!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

B747forever

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 9):
The later starting time was imposed on these races by Bernie so the Europeans could have their toast & croissants ready by the time the race started.
If the drivers are unhappy then the GPDA should stand together along with FOTA and say that this situation is unacceptable.

Well maybe they will all realize that to start the race at 17:00 if a serious accident happens because of this.
Work Hard, Fly Right

B747forever

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:26 am

According to this weather forecast: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...47&hourly=1&yday=94&weekday=Sunday

There is a 70% chance for rain at 5pm, exactly when the race is about to begin!
Work Hard, Fly Right

baroque

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 3):
And with little testing allowed this season I don't see them closing the gap pretty soon.

I understand that it costs money to test, but can someone explain the logic of limiting testing esp when they have just insisted on a huge raft of changes? It seems about as intelligent as insisting that you throw darts at a dartboard to determine if you will have a front or a rear wheel on each position!!!  Wow!

EZEIZA

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:23 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 9):

Why not though?they did manage to get them to take back some of the changes that were going to be put in place.

Alessandro

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:44 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 11):
According to this weather forecast: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...47&hourly=1&yday=94&weekday=Sunday

All fools day, ehhh?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Alessandro

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:47 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 3):
Well, Brawn GP is miles ahead. And with little testing allowed this season I don't see them closing the gap pretty soon.

Maybe they have just short lived fame but if Brawn GP can hold that level of Performance or get it even higher without the others catching alot up I suggest it could be a boring season.

Oh yeah. Hopefully not

Regds
jush

I think they can simulate it in windtunnelstests rather well, hard to monitor also for the
opponents as well.
No all fools day joke.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Stealthz

Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 am

Making headlines in Europe today....

Quote:
European Parliament is building on it's success in almost completely removing tobacco advertising from sport.
A recent motion placed before the parliament will bring F1 racing into line with politicians, the public service and education. The Members of the EP have long thought that F1 racing rewarded a meritocracy that had the potential to make unsuccessful competitors feel somewhat inferior or in extreme cases impact on self esteem
From 2010 the podium ceremony and indeed race finishing positions as now known will be a thing of the past. No longer will prizes be awarded for finishing order nor will points towards a championship be gained. In 2010 and beyond all participants will be awarded a certificate of participation and annual championships will be allocated on a rotating basis much as the presidency of the EU itself is currently decided.

This proposal has proponents and critics, most notably a mixed response from the champagne industry. Some see the podium ceremony as an obscene waste and an insult to their industry whilst others cherish the marketing opportunity

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is believed to be in favour of this plan as it will mean championship results can be planned for and will not result in unexpected changes to marketing opportunities should the chosen driver or team falter at any point.

If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

bill142

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:14 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 16):

rotfl   rotfl .. Every child gets a trophy day

sudden

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 am

Sunday will be interesting as already mentioned, cause we will see if Brawn GP still has the upperhand on the rest of the grid.

However,
this track has a very different layout, so I think we will see some changes during Saturday and Sunday.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 2):
I'm not expecting any improvement for Ferrari and McLaren until the first European GP in Barcelona.

They will have their updates flown over to Asia with Schumi's private jet if needed, so I think it will happen before Europe to be honest. But we will see.

Track Data:
Number of Laps: 56
Circuit Length: 5.543 km
Race Distance: 310.408 km
Lap Record: 1:34.223 - JP Montoya (2004)

And here's some fun stuff to pass time with.
I did it ones, and was rated as an Amateur Racer.
http://www.shell.com/home/content/mo..._are_you/index.html&promo=f1banner

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

GrahamHill

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:57 am

Starting GPs at 5 pm is not great for drivers. Considering that the sun sets around 7.30 pm in Australia and Malaysia, the end of the GP must not be easy with the sun right in your eyes.

If the FIA wants the European viewers to watch the first couple of GPs at a decent time, they should start the season with Brazil and Argentina (well, yes, Argentina would be nice. I miss this GP so much!), like it was in 1995. At least they would watch the GP at around 8 in the evening.

[Edited 2009-04-01 04:08:48]

B747forever

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 14):
Quoting B747forever (Reply 11):

All fools day, ehhh?

No actually yesterday it showed 70% chance, but now it is down to 50% chance for rain.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 18):
http://www.shell.com/home/content/mo...anner

I did that also and I actually was rated as an F1 driver  Smile
Work Hard, Fly Right

waterpolodan

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Yay, I have the reaction time to be an F1 driver! Now I'll just have to email my results to Brawn GP and wait for the inevitable hiring.

GrahamHill

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 pm

http://www.shell.com/home/content/mo...anner

First time, I was a "learner". The second, I was "quick enough to be a F1 driver" (0'201).

sudden

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 21):
Yay, I have the reaction time to be an F1 driver! Now I'll just have to email my results to Brawn GP and wait for the inevitable hiring.

LOL!
Well, as I introduced you to it, I will be your manager.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 22):
First time, I was a "learner". The second, I was "quick enough to be a F1 driver" (0'201).

I only did it ones, but will see what I can manage later on.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

legoguy

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Hamilton may be facing sanctions....

The Trulli/Hamilton safety car event, whilst not being pursued by the Toyota team, may still carry on being investigated by the FIA after it has emerged that Hamilton may not have told the whole truth during the initial inquiry.

It may be discovered that Hamilton was infact not told by his team to let Trulli past again and that infact Hamilton was busy trying to read the safety car instructions off the display.

Interesting times ahead. Hamilton will be called into a meeting on Thursday at Sepand during further investigations. May your lies find you out, I just hope for Hamilton's sake that its not true.

Apparently not an April fool's as every F1 site is reporting it.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 24):
Apparently not an April fool's as every F1 site is reporting it.

Beat me to it.

here you go.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74137

Stealthz

Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:01 am

The Trulli/Hamilton safety car event, whilst not being pursued by the Toyota team, may still carry on being investigated by the FIA after it has emerged that Hamilton may not have told the whole truth during the initial inquiry.

This is all very weird, If Trulli ran off the track that constitutes an "obvious problem" in which case there are no grounds for him to retake his position unless the car that overtook inturn suffers an"obvious problem".
Team telling him to give back the position is not grounds for being overtaken under the safety car.
Did he actually have a problem but used the team orders ploy to regain the position?

Oh well, meeting in Sepang was at 13:00 local and is now 14:00 so we will know the answer soon I guess.

Cheers

sudden

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 am

Interesting times ahead. Hamilton will be called into a meeting on Thursday at Sepand during further investigations. May your lies find you out, I just hope for Hamilton's sake that its not true.

Tough call to me.
If Trulli goes off the track and Hamilton don't have any other choice then to pass, so be it.
But why should Trulli then get sactioned for taking the place back as they were behind the safety car!?
I guess FIA comes up with a new rule on this so it makes both drivers the big loosers.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:07 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 27):
But why should Trulli then get sactioned for taking the place back as they were behind the safety car!?

Because the rules are clear, you cannot overtake when under safety car conditions unless-**

-signalled to do so by the safety car.

-If any car slows with an obvious problem

It appears the issue is how real was Lewis' problem, if he had a problem and was overtaken then fair call by Toyota, if he was told to let Trulli past then the overtake is not legal.
If team told LH to allow overtake, the amended result( Lewis 3rd) should stand but the team should receive some sanction

Cheers

** there are a couple of rules based around the pit entry/exit line as well

Gman94

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 am

Ferrari International Assitance and the witch hunt against McLaren strikes again. Hamilton thrown out of the Australian Grand Prix, totally patehtic decision.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

Stealthz

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am

Firstly a disclaimer, I am one of the biggest McLaren & LH fans around and by extension one of the more outspoken critics of Ferrari International Assistance.

Having said that it appears that McLaren and Hamilton misled the stewards inquiry in Melbourne and if that is true (without transcripts of both hearings and radio transmissions we will likely never know) then the penalty is deserved... and perhaps light.

Cheers

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 am

Too bad for the FIA, this exclusion does not profit Ferrari Big grin

sudden

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:38 am

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 29):
Ferrari International Assitance and the witch hunt against McLaren strikes again. Hamilton thrown out of the Australian Grand Prix, totally patehtic decision

Rather interesting point as Ferrari were not even close to this incident when it occured, so why even try to blame on them!?
And the "Ferrari International Assitance" thingy is getting rather old and boring to be honest.
I reckon you support Hamilton, but he is human, and makes mistakes, now and beyond.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Gman94

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 32):
Rather interesting point as Ferrari were not even close to this incident when it occured, so why even try to blame on them!?

Give them time, I'm sure they'll find some way to award the race to Ferrari. Big grin
British Airways - The Way To Fly

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 am

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 33):
Give them time, I'm sure they'll find some way to award the race to Ferrari.

Yep! They will exclude everyone until Massa gets the ten points. That's the only way he can win a race anyway...

Big grin

bill142

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 34):
Yep! They will exclude everyone until Massa gets the ten points. That's the only way he can win a race anyway...

Everyone will have illegal diffusers.

sudden

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:46 am

There you go,
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9113.html

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

B747forever

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 36):
There you go,
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin....html

Wow really interesting. So now Hamilton and McLaren are at 0 points.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:05 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 30):

Having said that it appears that McLaren and Hamilton misled the stewards inquiry in Melbourne and if that is true (without transcripts of both hearings and radio transmissions we will likely never know) then the penalty is deserved... and perhaps light.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74152

Here's the story as told by Martin Whitmarsh...It seems like a misunderstanding from FIA...

I have major issues with this...if this account is true...it would be but a misunderstanding....and I think the biggest thing the FIA should have done was given Trulli back his points and given Hamilton 4th.

But undoubtedly...they've decided to punish him further.

on top of that...the last line says McLaren and Hamilton could be punished further....This is ludicrous. It doesn't make any sense.

P.S. IF Whitmarsh's comments are true..and Hamilton is getting DQ'd...Why is Trulli getting his place back. That's not right!...In the end...Trulli got passed and repassed under a safety car...regardless of who it was..Trulli was off the track...and retook a position...irregardless of who he passed....He shouldn't get his points back if Hamilton is punished.

[Edited 2009-04-02 05:07:59]

Stealthz

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Not sure what in the Autosport item made a strong case that McLaren had really misled the FIA but then the KGB's ... er.. FIA's reluctance to release their side of the story makes it difficult to know what the real issue is.

McLaren are pretty open about the fact they told Lewis to concede the place.. if this was not the case release the radio transcripts and show us.

The scary and pretty typical maFIA position is their final word- "The FIA said Hamilton and McLaren could face further sanctions for the breach of article 151C."

Have some balls guys, if they breached 151C sanction them now or STFU. Do not hold it over their head until next time Luca or some other buddy asks for a favour.

Cheers

Stealthz

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 38):
IF Whitmarsh's comments are true..and Hamilton is getting DQ'd...Why is Trulli getting his place back. That's not right!...In the end...Trulli got passed and repassed under a safety car...regardless of who it was..Trulli was off the track...and retook a position...irregardless of who he passed....He shouldn't get his points back if Hamilton is punished.

Agree absolutely!

There is no way unless it can be shown that LH had a serious problem and so far it hasn't that Trulli's pass was legal

Chris

Stealthz

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Firstly apologies for the serial posts as the edit post function is not working.

On a side note to the whole Trulli-Hamilton thing
Has anyone noticed that the the steward drafted into the meetings in Sepang joining the 2 stewards from Australia was none other than Surinder Thathi, yes the one that went indignantly public after allegations of bias following the Spa debacle last year.
Is it coincidental that a decision in McLaren's favour suddenly goes viciously against them when a failed rally driver from Kenya gets involved.

Just a thought

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:36 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

I think BBC's website is REALLY good....Whitmarsh's audio, audio with Eddie Jordan...etc.

Again...I feel that the WORST the FIA should be doing is giving Trulli 3rd...and McLaren 4th...

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 38):
on top of that...the last line says McLaren and Hamilton could be punished further....This is ludicrous. It doesn't make any sense

It's been years that FIA is not logical in its decisions. They are just getting worse and worse.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 39):
KGB's ... er..

Ah ah ! That's exactly the correct term to describe the FIA!  Smile

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 39):
The scary and pretty typical maFIA position is their final word- "The FIA said Hamilton and McLaren could face further sanctions for the breach of article 151C."

Guys, I have a simplest solution for the FIA: why don't they just declare McLaren illegal in Formula 1? That would save people's time and Dennis/Witmarsh some extra white hairs...  Yeah sure

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 41):
Has anyone noticed that the the steward drafted into the meetings in Sepang joining the 2 stewards from Australia was none other than Surinder Thathi, yes the one that went indignantly public after allegations of bias following the Spa debacle last year.
Is it coincidental that a decision in McLaren's favour suddenly goes viciously against them when a failed rally driver from Kenya gets involved.

What an interesting coincidence  scratchchin 

baroque

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 42):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

I think BBC's website is REALLY good....Whitmarsh's audio, audio with Eddie Jordan...etc.

Again...I feel that the WORST the FIA should be doing is giving Trulli 3rd...and McLaren 4th...

Also interesting to note is that the article at 0.49 Eastern Aus Summer time differs in detail quite a bit from the one there about 4 hours ago. Much fuller.

Was there any film of the incident. I don't remember seeing anything like that happen - as I mentioned before. It sounds a bit as if McL were uncertain whether to let Truli pass again. If someone falls off the road, are they still within the rules of no passing under a yellow. I would have thought that no passing applied to the bitumen and not the bush????? Or am I misunderstimaterizing the whole situation?  hissyfit 

waterpolodan

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:10 pm

I'll reserve judgment until further info is available, but with the accidents and disqualifications, Torro Rosso somehow lucked into their first double points finish, and Toyota ends up 3rd and 4th for one of their best point hauls ever. Bizzare happenings, I just hope this weekend is far less controversial.

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Ladies and Gentleman...More info on Hamilton-Gate (Part 1 of GOD KNOWS HOW MANY) 2009

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74158
Full decision by Stewards

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74159
The Radio Transmission Text...With Audio Link

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74160
FIA insisting it was-Misled.

Now...if the last is the case...Then I gotta say...that McLaren is at fault...BUT I think then...the FIA should pull a Ferrari International Assistance and give Trulli 3rd place and let them keep 4th with a Fine (I'm pretty sure that's what they'd do for Ferrari)

EZEIZA

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 29):
Ferrari International Assitance and the witch hunt against McLaren strikes again

This just proves an obsession towards Ferrari.
If Ferrari is not even remotely involved, how the hell can this be seen as a help to Ferrari? Did you even watch the race? Do you want to know how Kimi and Massa finished?
And if this is a case of "help" towards Ferrari, it also helps Brawn, Renault, and ... wait a minute, everyone else!

Quoting Sudden (Reply 32):
And the "Ferrari International Assitance" thingy is getting rather old and boring to be honest.

agreed.

It is getting very old guys. seriously, stop obsessing with Ferrari and enjoy the races.
FIA has proved to be shite in many, many decisions, but yet some of you always sing the same song. I can't even imagine what you would be saying had a Ferrari been involved in the Vettel-Kubica or the LH-Trulli incident.

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Honestly, we were all (supporters, drivers, journalists) complaining about this procedural system that FIA was using and abusing, but it seems that 2009 will be exactly the same, if not worse.

What a poor way to start a season  Angry