Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sudden

RE: F1 2009: Malaysian Grand Prix

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 149):
Anyone else care to explain this to Baroque?

Nope.
But by all means, keep it up as you might get there one day.  Wink

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

VC-10

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Or to put it more simply - Trulli was unfairly penalised for overtaking Hamilton under a pace car conditions. Trulli only overtook because Hamilton slowed and went off line.

When the stewards investigated McLaren said they never let Trulli through i.e. Trulli broke the rules by overtaking. That is it in a nutshell

Quoting Sudden (Reply 134):
About KERS,
If one quali without it, are they then allowed to use i during the race? Anyone knows how the ruling of KERS goes?

No, because the cars are in parc ferm (however you spell it). The cars can only be worked on for safety reason after qualifying starts.

[Edited 2009-04-04 12:28:28]

scbriml

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 149):
and didn't know what track positions the cars were in,

But the teams have a display which shows the exact position of all cars on the circuit. This was the very display that enabled McLaren to tell Hamilton he would regain 5th place on the last lap of last year's Brazilian GP.  confused 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

waterpolodan

Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm

Maybe they didn't look, but whatever the case, they were confused by his comment about Trulli slowing in front of him. Anyway,

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 151):
Trulli was unfairly penalised for overtaking Hamilton under a pace car conditions. Trulli only overtook because Hamilton slowed and went off line.

When the stewards investigated McLaren said they never let Trulli through i.e. Trulli broke the rules by overtaking. That is it in a nutshell

That's it, let's leave the radio transmission semantics behind and enjoy tomorrow's race.

Stealthz

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 143):
What I don't understand, (probably because I am not much of a "pre season testing" fan so I don't follow much during the break) is how two teams like Ferrari and Mclaren, with the budgets and testing they do can be so behind.

Kind of curious this because both McLaren(last week in Melbourme) and Ferrari in Malaysia have blamed their lack of form on the amount of effort they put into winning the 2008 championship. IMHO a pretty poor excuse from "Champion" teams

Quoting Sudden (Reply 134):
About KERS,
If one quali without it, are they then allowed to use i during the race? Anyone knows how the ruling of KERS goes?

No, because the cars are in parc ferm (however you spell it). The cars can only be worked on for safety reason after qualifying starts.

Perhaps to expand on this it would be possible to qualify without using an installed KERS device(but why would you?) and then use it in the race.
It would not be possible to install a KERS device between qualifying and race due to Parc Ferme conditions.. likely not possible in time frame anyway.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

sudden

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 154):
Perhaps to expand on this it would be possible to qualify without using an installed KERS device(but why would you?) and then use it in the race.

Reason for my question is due to that Kimi ran the quali without it. I know you are not allowed to alter anything on the car as they have been sealed, but KERS might have been disabled during quali to not take any risks. And with that I mean that it's still mounted in the car. But if you then would connect the cables, sort of, before the race, that should allow him to use it during the race.

Or he simply didn't use it during quali.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

VC-10

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 154):

Quoting Sudden (Reply 155):
Reason for my question is due to that Kimi ran the quali without it. I know you are not allowed to alter anything on the car as they have been sealed, but KERS might have been disabled during quali to not take any risks. And with that I mean that it's still mounted in the car. But if you then would connect the cables, sort of, before the race, that should allow him to use it during the race

So you have just qualified with 30kgs of extra weight, putting you further down the grid then necessary. You now have to negotiate the post start mêlée without having a coming together then fight your way past the cars you could have out qualified had you either not have the KERS installed or used it if it was fitted.

This, when they calculate every millilitre of fuel that they put in the car to balance weight vs range

[Edited 2009-04-04 15:35:51]

legoguy

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Or to put it more simply - Trulli was unfairly penalised for overtaking Hamilton under a pace car conditions. Trulli only overtook because Hamilton slowed and went off line.

Pretty well put actually. It's hard trying to work out whats going on by jsut reading the transcripts as in reality, there were some gaps between parts of it. It makes more sense when watching Trulli's onboard camera whilst listening to the McLaren radio at the same time.

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 156):
So you have just qualified with 30kgs of extra weight

I thought all the cars were limited to the same weight, with, or without KERS? I think the only difference when using KERS is that the team can not use the balancing weights to gain a better car balance during cornering.

Here's the weights in full;

1 - Jenson Button / Brawn = 660kg
2 - Jarno Trulli / Toyota = 656.5kg
3 - Timo Glock / Toyota 656.5kg
4 - Nico Rosberg / Williams = 656kg
5 - Mark Webber / Red Bull = 656kg
6 - Robert Kubica / BMW = 663kg
7 - Kimi Räikkönen / Ferrari = 662.5kg
8 - Rubens Barrichello / Brawn = 664.5kg
9 - Fernando Alonso / Renault = 680.5kg
10 - Nick Heidfeld / BMW = 692kg
11 - Kazuki Nakajima / Williams = 683.4kg
12 - Lewis Hamilton / McLaren = 688kg
13 - Sebastian Vettel / Red Bull = 647kg
14 - Heikki Kovalainen / McLaren = 688.9kg
15 - Sébastien Bourdais / Toro Rosso = 670.5kg
16 - Felipe Massa / Ferrari = 689.5kg
17 - Nelson Piquet / Renault = 681.9kg
18 - Giancarlo Fisichella / Force India = 680.5kg
19 - Adrian Sutil / Force India = 655.5kg
20 - Sébastien Buemi / Toro Rosso = 686.5kg

Some noticeable differences in weights. Maybe the KERS system does add on an extra 30 Kg in weight?

I've also been thinking on the whole Hamilton/McLaren misleading situation. The BBC gave the impression that both Hamilton and Dave Ryan were at the enquiry following the race together with Dave Ryan doing most of the talking. If that is the case, and thats a big 'IF', I don't think I would have expected Hamilton to correct the lie infront of Dave, effectively calling him a liar infront of the FIA. Not the best situation to be in unfortunately. However perhaps I have interpreted the whole thing wrongly?

Anyhow, given the apparent gaps appearing in the Hamilton/McLaren relationship, perhaps Hamilton is being genuine by saying he himself was misguided. Eddie Jordan seems to think Hamilton wants out of McLaren.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

VC-10

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 157):
I thought all the cars were limited to the same weight, with, or without KERS? I think the only difference when using KERS is that the team can not use the balancing weights to gain a better car balance during cornering.

The cars have to comply to a minimum weight limit. All the cars, as built, come in below that weight and they use ballast to bring the car up to the weight limit. They can adjust the handling of the car by adjusting the position of the ballast.

Kubica doesn't have KERS fitted he is taller & heavier than Heidfeld so does not want to be further handicapped by lugging KERS around with him. Plus it would affect the weight distribution of his car.

Hiedfeld races with KERS

[Edited 2009-04-04 16:49:53]

legoguy

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:49 pm

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 158):
The cars have to comply to a minimum weight limit. All the cars, as built, come in below that weight and they use ballast to bring the car up to the weight limit. They can adjust the handling of the car by adjusting the position of the ballast.

Ahhh that makes sense now, thanks for explaining VC-10! Does anyone happen to know the maximum weight allowed? All I know is the minimum allowed weight is 605kg.

Stealthz

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Correct-

From 2009 F1 Tech Regs-

Quote:
ARTICLE 4 : WEIGHT
4.1 Minimum weight :
The weight of the car must not be less than 605kg at all times during the Event.
4.2 Ballast :
Ballast can be used provided it is secured in such a way that tools are required for its removal. It must be possible to fix seals if deemed necessary by the FIA technical delegate.

The only difference between x kg of KERS & x kg of ballast is that teams have more freedom where in the car the ballast may be mounted

Kubica doesn't have KERS fitted he is taller & heavier than Heidfeld so does not want to be further handicapped by lugging KERS around with him. Plus it would affect the weight distribution of his car.

Hiedfeld races with KERS

BMW team weight differences have little to do with KERS and much more to do with the extra 10 laps of fuel Heidfeld has on board.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

VC-10

Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:06 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 160):
BMW team weight differences have little to do with KERS and much more to do with the extra 10 laps of fuel Heidfeld has on board.

Meanwhile, while content with his qualifying performance, Kubica is concerned be may be swamped by the KERS-equipped cars behind him off the line.

Unlike his team-mate, the heavier Polish driver is not running with the energy-storing device while Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen (seventh), Fernando Alonso (ninth) and Heidfeld (10th) are well placed to use their respective system’s power-boost function and pass him on the long run down to the first corner.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45487

legoguy

Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:16 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 161):
Unlike his team-mate, the heavier Polish driver is not running with the energy-storing device while Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen (seventh),

Sneakily corrected with regards to Raikkonen's KERS  Wink Why is there such a large weight difference between Massa and Raikkonen? I take it anyone who did not make it into the final quali session will have their weights seemingly increased with heavier fuel strategies with the exception of Sutil who looks as if he's going for a short first stint.

Stealthz

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:26 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 162):
Why is there such a large weight difference between Massa and Raikkonen?

Massa has more fuel but likely not the max capacity.
Perhaps a decision based on tyre life. Not much point carrying fuel for 35 laps if your tyres will only last for 25(made worse by extra fuel)
Perhaps a cunning strategy decision by the Scuderia  Wink

scrubbsywg

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:27 am

Autosport: Hamilton considered quitting because of Oz GP Debacle

And no, not because of the FIA, but because of Mclaren. I wonder if this will do anything to permanently harm the future of mclaren and hamilton. They already have a long history. Mclaren has, in the past, easily pissed off a lot of drivers and has a history of not being able to "handle" them.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/74279

codeshare

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 am

Looks like we may have a rainy race. DEfinately going to be interesting, and those front surfboards will be flying  Smile

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

baroque

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:50 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 164):
Mclaren has, in the past, easily pissed off a lot of drivers and has a history of not being able to "handle" them.

Perhaps should read DC on the overall subject??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7983375.stm

Some points:

Here's what happens when the race stewards decide they want to see you.
First of all, the stewards alert the team manager - in McLaren's case that would be Ryan - and he would then immediately go to find the driver.

They would then chit-chat on their way to the meeting, agree on a strategy and present it to the stewards.
But I don't think there would have been a big discussion between Hamilton and Ryan as the incident in Melbourne was quite clear-cut.
Jarno Trulli ran off the circuit, Hamilton passed him and then allowed the Toyota man to re-pass him.
The difficulty is that we simply do not know what was said by Hamilton and Ryan when they went into the meeting.
But I would be absolutely shocked if Ryan knowingly lied or acted in a dishonourable way.
I appeared before the stewards several times with him by my side as my team manager at McLaren; at no time did he ever ask me to give misleading information.
As much as he is indebted to McLaren, he also has to protect his own reputation.

There will be some very frank conversations between Hamilton and his employees but the relationship is long and strong enough to come through this.
Hamilton is contracted until 2010 and so he has no choice but to stay with the team for now.
I have had a long relationship with McLaren and if I felt they were cut from a dishonourable cloth I would distance myself from them.
Can a leopard change its spots, do the modern demands of F1 mean McLaren have adopted a win-at-all-costs strategy?
I can't answer those questions, but I do think we have not heard the last of the latest scandal to hit Hamilton and his team.
David Coulthard was talking to Sarah Holt

Apparently the fat lady is not in sight as yet.

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:27 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 166):
They would then chit-chat on their way to the meeting, agree on a strategy and present it to the stewards.
But I don't think there would have been a big discussion between Hamilton and Ryan as the incident in Melbourne was quite clear-cut.

Considering Mclaren sanctioned Ryan everything seems to point to the fact that they di dlie or mislead. if not Mcl. would have appealed or something, but when they admit something went wrong, I stop having doubts.

rgds
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

bill142

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:31 am

For those who have to wait for delayed transmissions, give this one a go.

http://www.rojadirecta.com/ustream/615846

Alessandro

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:51 am

Hiedfeld races with KERS

[Edited 2009-04-04 16:49:53]

I think Williams have say also, they want to check out how useful of the KERS system
are.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 am

It's 5:53am now and the race is about to start .. I haven't slept at allm and Saturday was a big day; attended a football match and then a rock concert. I am so tired I can barely type, but I hope I can manage to stay awake during the race!! I can always record i and watch it later, but I would prefer to stay up and watch it live  Wink

sorry for this off topic, but I am very bored while waiting for the race to start Big grin

sudden

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:56 am

It's nice and dry at the track, for now.

Our commentator just presented som year salaries for a couple of drivers, and it looks like this'
Hamilton € 25 milj.
Raikkonen € 24 milj.
Alonso € 20 milj.
Massa € 16 milj.
Buemi 1.2 milj.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:00 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 170):
It's 5:53am now and the race is about to start .. I haven't slept at allm and Saturday was a big day; attended a football match and then a rock concert. I am so tired I can barely type, but I hope I can manage to stay awake during the race!! I can always record i and watch it later, but I would prefer to stay up and watch it live

I'm severely hung over and should probably be sleeping too. But formula one is more important than sleep.

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:04 am

And they're off! Alonso made a great start.
אני תומך בישראל

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 am

Heiki is off...Kimi in 4th.
אני תומך בישראל

GrahamHill

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:10 am

Great start from Rosberg and Alonso!!

Too bad for Heikki. It looks like he went out alone...
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:36 am

Kimi with rain tyres?!
Man I hope Ferrari have the proper rain predicitons ....

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:38 am

Another screw up by Ferrari..WTF is Kimi doing on wet tyres on a DRY track. He is going to finish those tyres before it starts raining.
אני תומך בישראל

Stealthz

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:39 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 177):
Another screw up by Ferrari..WTF is Kimi doing on wet tyres on a DRY track.

Scuderia are right on top of the strategic decisions huh!

andz

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:42 am

Just flipping channels waiting for the Spanish Superbikes to start... that black sky looks like a typical Johannesburg summer thunderstorm!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 am

Great move by Ferrari ... Kimi is 14th after the stunt!  Sad

however it would have worked had it rained 5 minutes earlier

baroque

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 am

Interesting, it seems they are still using KERS in the wet. Although if Webber was using it that might be why he went off the track trying to repass.

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 am

The little sun light that passes through the clouds seems to be very annoying, right?

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 am

Whoever is making these decisions at Ferrari needs to be taken out back and shot. What a stupid move...putting wet tyres on a dry track, and now they have had to bring Massa in for inters. Now its raining again...back on full wets?
אני תומך בישראל

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 am

SC in ... crap

"Lewis, don't let anyone pass you, don't pass anyone, and most of all SHUT UP!"

lol

GrahamHill

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 am

It's pouring rain. Safety car out!

What an interesting race  Smile

bill142

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:03 am

What's going on at Brawn?? Button went from wets to inters to wets???

Red Flag..

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:03 am

Red Flag..race stopped!
אני תומך בישראל

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 am

This sucks! First of all another terrible race by both Ferrari's, and second, because it was mentioned that because of the start time of the race this sort of rain could have shown up.
I like rain in races, but this is just too much.
The decision to stop it is perfect.

GrahamHill

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:08 am

So what is going to happen now? Will they make a new start?

GrahamHill

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:10 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 177):
Another screw up by Ferrari..WTF is Kimi doing on wet tyres on a DRY track. He is going to finish those tyres before it starts raining.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 183):
Whoever is making these decisions at Ferrari needs to be taken out back and shot. What a stupid move...putting wet tyres on a dry track, and now they have had to bring Massa in for inters. Now its raining again...back on full wets?

It was a bet. It did not work. Sh*ts happen!

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

The track is looking like a swimming pool. So what will happen now? They are expecting rain for at least the next 30 min. And its getting darker by the minute. What a stupid time to start the race..worked in Oz, but how the hell can they expect it to work in a tropical place like Malaysia..where it is expected to rain like this and it'll get dark soon.
אני תומך בישראל

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 190):

That's true ... had it started raining a couple of minutes earlier and it would have been a genius tactic

EZEIZA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:24 am

7:23 am and no racing going on .. I just can't take it anymore, I'm off to bed!
Thanks to the genius who decidd to start the GP at 5pm local

good "night" to all

bill142

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:25 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 192):
That's true ... had it started raining a couple of minutes earlier and it would have been a genius tactic

I think it was pretty clear that it was doomed to fail. Frankly, I think the gamble wasn't worth it as the risk of it back firing was much greater then it working out.

na

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 am

Glock is great, so far drove the most intelligent race. If the race is restarted, I hope he has a fair chance. Button great again, too. And Barichello, who, when Schumachers teammate often complained that only team tactics made him look worse than the 7-time champion, should finally shut his mouth. He hardly looks any better against Button.

Ferrari tactics are at its worst again, one or two such races more and I´m sure someone has to go. While it could have been a chain of bad luck so far, its beginning to look like inability more and more. Especially the early change to rain tyres on Kimi´s car looked stupid on TV even before he drove around the first bend...

photopilot

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:34 am

This is a farce and IMHO, it's a direct result of Bernie E.
It was almost a guarantee that a late day start would result in getting caught in a day end rainstorm. That's tropical weather for you. All for the convenience of the European TV market and to the detriment of the race, the driver's safety and the Malaysian fans who paid to sit in the stands and see a race.
And now it's gettting dark. What a farce and a sad day for F1.

legoguy

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:35 am

I'm not sure the race will be resumed so those in the points will get half points, I've no idea how that will work out. Does that mean we'll see Webber with 0.5 points gained from todays race  Confused

A lot of the drivers think it is too dark to race although having said that, it doesn't look too bad to be honest. It has certainly cleared up a bit although the spray would be bad but no worse than any other wet races in the past.

Alessandro

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:39 am

Legoguy, currently yes, happened in 1984 last time AFAIK, Monaco.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Springbok747

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:40 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 193):
good "night" to all

Well..it is night here..so g'night  Wink

Looks like they're going to restart the race? The drivers look pretty reluctant...more rain forecast, and the light is fading fast.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 190):

Yeah, but it was such a stupid gamble. It even looked pathetic...to see him on wets on a dry track.

Looks like the restart is happening. What the hell is that....all the cars but the top 3 are gonna start 1 and a half minutes ahead? Are they going to unlap themselves?
אני תומך בישראל