CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Does The World View Americans As Downright Rude?

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:40 pm

im sure this has been discussed before but this is like the general consensus that i hear everywhere i go now. I live in india these days for most of the year for school and every so often i hear a anti-US diatribe..whether it be about our actions, people, etc. Ive heard it from my malaysian friends, my local indian friends, my canadian friends, et all. Im an Indian-American and i grew up in the states and ive never really had any bad expierences or faced much of any racism. Everyone ive ran into has been nice/kind to me. I just talked to one of my friends and she was saying how she went down to Seattle one day from Vancouver and the people were downright rude to her..how the hicks were taking over bars and how people seemed like they were born in the gutter. I mean seriously, is this what America has become??? Are Candians that nice? She told me apparently its a big love fest north of the border..how true is this??

Aaron747

RE: Does The World View Americans As Downright Rude?

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting Caliatenza (Thread starter):
Are Candians that nice? She told me apparently its a big love fest north of the border..how true is this??

Pay no attention to that kind of stuff. I know some Canadians who are amazing people I count among dear friends, and I know others who are spineless jerks worthy of none.

Japanese people are revered for their politeness, intelligence, attention to detail, decorum and what not, but there are millions of people here who are rude, inattentive slobs who couldn't employ critical thinking if their very lives depended on it.

Now what is relevant is what people experience when they visit the US. Unfortunately, our country isn't the greatest on first impressions - and that's where a lot of that criticism comes from because people thought they'd get the Hollywood version of America. Just think of a typical US airport - the TSA folks who often dress like slobs, the restaurant staff who don't speak English fluently, the scuff marks inside the elevators and on the floors, the terrible state of the restrooms, the police barking orders at people curbside, the old gum marks and cigarette butts on the same curb...not exactly the image one gets at say, Sepang, HKIA, Incheon, or Narita. It's pretty downhill from there - lack of service with a smile, tipping, the general curse of unrealistic expectations.  Wink
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Pyrex

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Not sure what "the world" feels like but I live in the U.S. (granted, a very atypical area of it) and I don't find americans particularly rude at all (not that people are necessarily very nice in NYC, for instance, but I think if I had to live in a place like that I would be bitter all the time as well).

I have had much worse experiences with rudeness in other places. I heard bad stories about India (never been there to confirm it though) but my interactions with Pacific Islanders and people from the Phillipines were not all that great.

On the other hand, I have had experiences in Korea with people that were so nice (as in non-rude) that they bordered on the freakishly servile. Loved the place and the people, though.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Asturias

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, your otherwise mild mannered and diplomatic president Obama just told the sovereign EU states that they should allow Turkey to join the EU as some sort of a peace offering between the west and muslims.

Yes how would it be if Sarkozy would tell the US to accept Mexico into the USA. I'm sure that wouldn't be regarded as rude (and stupid) by the US. Peh.

asturias
Tonight we fly

CrimsonNL

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Out here the general opinion about the States is not so good. (All tough increasing with the election of President Obama) All we hear about in the media are things about how bad G Bush is (was) A lot of people are influenced a lot by this anti-America nonsense we see everyday and think that every American drives a chevy truck and sleeps with a gun under his pillow. (Those same people think that the capital of the US is New York City and don't even know OUR national anthem)

It's only when people actually visit the States, or meet some American people, they realize that Americans are generally real nice.
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 1):

Ive never been to Canada so all i know about it is whatever i see on tv or from what i know from those who live there. Im a natural born US citizen so i dont get any suspicious treatment at customs or from the TSA when i go home..just a usual "what were u doing abroad", "how long were u gone".."welcome home and a nice day". I know LAX is a dump, but the improvements are gonna be nice. My other Canadian friend on the other hand, loves to rag on the US; "oh its so evil", "you guys are gonna get bombed again", "americans are all stupid, blah blah blah". The guy has relatives in the states for petes sakes. But the friend i talked to, that visited Seattle, was affected by her expierence so much that she doesnt even want to consider moving there anymore. I mean could have been that bad to make her make a life decision like that???

Klaus

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:48 pm

The Bush administration had its image rub off on americans in general in many people's eyes; But that is already turning around as we speak.

My personal experiences with americans have been mostly positive. Most americans I've met were nice or at least well-behaved. There are of course some cultural differences (and a certain selection in the fraction of americans actually traveling abroad), but on an individual level I don't think there's really a major image problem.

As the (by far!) most visible american representative the US President does of course have a large influence on how people abroad perceive his country, but that can be a positive as it can be a negative...

mdsh00

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:56 pm

I am Indian-American too and I would say to pay no attention to it. Many people in India, and those who recently have come to the US always seem to feel like giving their opinion, and often times misinformed. My parents in particular (who have lived here in the US for more than 30 years) hate it when someone new has come to the US and tells them "this is how things are done in America."

Not just among India, but generally people who seem to have bad opinions on people from a country usually have not spent any real time there or are just ignorant about things.

falstaff

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:03 pm

how the hicks were taking over

I don't know where you are from, but from anywhere I have ever been it is the hicks that are the friendliest people.

Good ole' boys are usually the best people.

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 4):
lot of people are influenced a lot by this anti-America nonsense we see everyday and think that every American drives a chevy truck and sleeps with a gun under his pillow

I do drive a Chevy truck, but I don't keep a gun under my pillow, it is in my night stand. There is also one in the Chevy truck, under the seat. So you see there is a stereotype for a reason. However there aren't THAT many of us.

Anti Americanism I find is only among certian people, especially the young. When I travel in Europe I tend to hang around other people like me. I have had no trouble finding conservatives and good ole' boys wherever I go. I have been told by many people that they didn't know there were Americans like me. They only see a bunch of rich back packing hippies. There are rednecks in every part of the world!!! I try not to go to urban areas. In Europe, like the US, the further away from cities you get the more good ole' boys you will find.

Any place that has a crowd over 30 I find to be friendly. When I hung out with some unemployed coal miners in the UK I felt right at home.

Those same people think that the capital of the US is New York City

NYC sucks!

I went to Montreal once and everyone was a snob, but when they figuered out I was not from New York they all were very friendly and I had a great time.

Quoting Caliatenza (Reply 5):
But the friend i talked to, that visited Seattle, was affected by her expierence so much that she doesnt even want to consider moving there anymore. I mean could have been that bad to make her make a life decision like that???

The USA is a HUGE place and there are jerks everywhere you go. I have met jerks and rude people from all over the world. No place is imune to rude people. I find Seattle to be very snobby. Your friend should come to a place like Fort Wayne, Indiana and you will find lots of nice people there.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 7):

thing is im a very proud american, so it hurts and offends me when people just constantly go on and on about the crap that America does or doesnt do. Indians ESPECIALLY have this problem. I love travelling though, love seeing new places and ive been treated with nothing but respect in every country ive been in  Smile...

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 8):

lol..those were her words not mine. I live in Bakersfield, CA..America's fastest growing city. People there are very nice and down to earth..especially the older folk. My friend is from Vancouver and she went to Seattle for a day i guess..i dunno how Vancouver is but from what ive seen Canadians think Canada is like heaven and the US is a bunch of neatherdals  Sad.

BMI727

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 pm

All we hear about in the media are things about how bad G Bush is (was)

The American media is the same way. Bush bashing is the fashionable thing at the moment. Funny how so few of the haters ever offered to become President.

A lot of people are influenced a lot by this anti-America nonsense we see everyday and think that every American drives a chevy truck and sleeps with a gun under his pillow.

Ever go to the South? Okay, okay, that is an overgeneralization. Some of them actually drive Fords.

So you see there is a stereotype for a reason.

That is a funny thing about stereotypes, there is usually a little bit of truth in them. Not a lot, but some.

I went to Montreal once and everyone was a snob,

Because they are practically French.
 Big grin
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

EISHN

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Seattle one day from Vancouver and the people were downright rude to her

I was in Seattle in October 2007, and as a 'foreigner' with a different accent, I found everyone (and I really do mean everyone) to be very friendly and polite towards my companions and I. Everywhere from the planes, the airports, restaurants, Starbucks, museums, stores, and anywhere else, not to mention some new family that we made whiolst we were there.

I couldn't fault Seattle at all.

I was in LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon that Summer as well, and the only rude people I remember coming across was this couple at a restaurant in LAX who giving us attitude when the two of them were taking up a table that could seat four (and we are a family of six) and we asked them if they could move to the table meant for two people. They did move, but they were rude.
Everyone else was very nice across the board, and very mannerly, accepting, and warm hearted.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

PPVRA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 pm

That's a good description. Something similar applies to Brazilians.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
Ever go to the South? Okay, okay, that is an overgeneralization. Some of them actually drive Fords.

I haven't seen a greater concentration of trucks in certain areas of the US than in others. Certainly you don't see many downtown major cities, since they are usually suburbs-rural vehicles, but still.

PS: not that I've been everywhere

[Edited 2009-04-05 11:28:29]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

BMI727

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:29 pm

In rural areas pickups are a dime a dozen. They are pretty useful though.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 13):
Certainly you don't see many downtown major cities

I did in Houston. There were a ton of pickups there and not Rangers and Canyons either. Many of them were 3/4 ton jobs and duallies. Everything is bigger in Texas after all.

trvyyz

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:51 pm

Rude people are there in every country and only problem is people simply expect too much from the Americans.

aznmadsci

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:51 pm

think that every American drives a chevy truck and sleeps with a gun under his pillow.

Not every American, just some.  wink  You tell someone you're from Houston, Texas and you get responses like "Where GW comes from? I would never go there." to "You're from Texas? Do you ride a horse to work?" It's just comedic stereotypes that can strike a conversation and make the other person have a different hopefully better view of you and many other Americans.

It's only when people actually visit the States, or meet some American people, they realize that Americans are generally real nice.

And vice versa. It just all boils down to language and patience.

NYC sucks!

You like the rural areas, others like the urban feel. It's all about adaptation!

Quoting Caliatenza (Reply 10):
Canadians think Canada is like heaven and the US is a bunch of neatherdals

Because they're worried that they know the US will invade and take over their country and be forced to be 'Mericans!  duck 

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 14):
I did in Houston. There were a ton of pickups there and not Rangers and Canyons either. Many of them were 3/4 ton jobs and duallies. Everything is bigger in Texas after all.

Hey, don't forget us Houstonians have a nice collection of Suburbans, Hummers, and big Sports Utility vehicles to go with those diesel-powered trucks!  yes  Now imagine the freeways filled with these big vehicles and among them is a tiny Smart car!!! It's definitely an interesting sight especially among the busiest freeway intersections.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

falstaff

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:54 pm

but from what ive seen Canadians think Canada is like heaven and the US is a bunch of neatherdals .

I live near and visit Windsor, Ontario on a regular basis. I think Windsor is nice, but I have heard a lot of Canadians (from elsewhere in Canada) say Windsor is the arm pit of Canada.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
that is an overgeneralization. Some of them actually drive Fords.

Don't forget some drive Dodge trucks too.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 14):
In rural areas pickups are a dime a dozen. They are pretty useful though.

Handy in the suburbs too. I haul all kinds of junk.

I live in Bakersfield, CA..America's fastest growing city. People there are very nice and down to earth..especially the older folk

I love the classic Buck Owens Bakersfield sound!

planewasted

RE: Does The World View Americans As Downright Rud

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:33 pm

It's mostly people who haven't been to the US that considers Americans rude. Americans are very open and friendly, at least compared so Scandinavians.

But I've noticed that many Americans seems to take offense if you say anything negative about America.

falstaff

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 18):
But I've noticed that many Americans seems to take offense if you say anything negative about America.

But most of us bad mouth the government all the time.

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 18):

well if u hear it day in day out from people who dont even care to read or look up facts, then u could see the point of taking offense..lol

BMI727

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 16):
Hey, don't forget us Houstonians have a nice collection of Suburbans, Hummers, and big Sports Utility vehicles to go with those diesel-powered trucks!

I know. I loved it. No climate change there, just pure power! (Tim Taylor style grunt)

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 17):
Handy in the suburbs too. I haul all kinds of junk.

Oh yeah, the people who bash pickup trucks are usually the people who have never owned one. Buying a new recliner? Back it up and load. Also, very useful for high school football games.

Edit:
Also, the thing about Bush is common too. If you tell a foreigner you are from Chicago, they will most likely say something about Michael Jordan. Before that it was Al Capone. When my dad lived in the West Bank, he was called "Mr. Chicago" accompanied with the gun gesture and "bang bang."  Big grin

[Edited 2009-04-05 13:12:53]

Ken777

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 12):
as a 'foreigner' with a different accent, I found everyone (and I really do mean everyone) to be very friendly and polite towards my companions and I.

If you're Irish it seems that you get accepted faster than most other nationals. I think a lot of people here have ancestors who came from Ireland (I have at least one great grandfather, but I don't know if he immigrated or left just ahead of the law).

The Irish also have a great accent, which helps a great deal. That and a smile can make a friend with just about anyone. Scots, where my wife was born, are pretty much the same, except they are harder to understand if they have the heavier accent.

I was very fortunate to do a lot of overseas traveling and found that it is how you act that influences how people feel about you - and tie that to other Americans.

A smile is simple to give and is generally returned, Opening the door for a lady (of any age) is actually appreciated. Kindness is something that is understood the world over. All you really have to do is behave as if both of your parents are carefully watching over you.  Smile

greggarious

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:06 pm

NYC sucks!

Fallstaff, that was downright rude of you!

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Well as a former American expatriate (who lived out of the US initially) I have another interesting perspective, and it's not pretty:

faced much of any racism.

I had never experienced so much racism till I started living full time in the US. Not towards myself fortunately, but towards others. Not to mention EVERYBODY has to be subjected to a stereotype and judged by it. I find people to be very shallow and superficial, and the level of ignorance by some people is just appalling. No joke, I've been asked whether I had to make my own clothes, had chickens in my garden, whether I had tequila for breakfast, and if I grew pot, when I lived in Mexico. I could go on and on about all the retarded questions I've been asked. But it explains a lot why the rest of the world has such a poor view of us Americans: we don't give a damn about learning whats outside our borders, the world is "Americuh" and everything else is some alien territory that unless it is a threat to us or an economical interest, nobody gives a damn about.

The terms "wordly" and "cultured" are mutually exclusive with the word "American" 99% of the time it seems.

is this what America has become???

Pretty much. And it's only getting worst IMO.

[Edited 2009-04-05 16:04:32]

Ken777

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:04 pm

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 16):
Now imagine the freeways filled with these big vehicles

Actually my brother-in-law lives in Houston and had a very old Tahoe. Probably one of the first off the line. Multi-colors - like a fender being different from the rest of that side. Now add in the rust, dings & dents.

He uses it do drive on the freeways in Houston. Says that all the folks in the very expensive SUVs, trucks and cars give him plenty of room.  Smile The funny thing is that it's in great mechanical shape - it just has that "I dare you" look on the outside.

aznmadsci

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 25):
He uses it do drive on the freeways in Houston. Says that all the folks in the very expensive SUVs, trucks and cars give him plenty of room. Smile The funny thing is that it's in great mechanical shape - it just has that "I dare you" look on the outside.

My point was juxtaposing the behemoth gas-guzzlers with the Smart car or even Mini Cooper or VW Beetle. It's definitely a WTF moment!

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
I had never experienced so much racism till I started living full time in the US. Not towards myself fortunately, but towards others. Not to mention EVERYBODY has to be subjected to a stereotype and judged by it. I find people to be very shallow and superficial, and the level of ignorance by some people is just appalling. No joke, I've been asked whether I had to make my own clothes, had chickens in my garden, whether I had tequila for breakfast, and if I grew pot, when I lived in Mexico. I could go on and on about all the retarded questions I've been asked. But it explains a lot why the rest of the world has such a poor view of us Americans: we don't give a damn about learning whats outside our borders, the world is "Americuh" and everything else is some alien territory that unless it is a threat to us or an economical interest, nobody gives a damn about.

I don't know where you are from, but from anywhere I have ever been it is the hicks that are the friendliest people.

Good ole' boys are usually the best people.

Anti Americanism I find is only among certian people, especially the young. When I travel in Europe I tend to hang around other people like me. I have had no trouble finding conservatives and good ole' boys wherever I go. I have been told by many people that they didn't know there were Americans like me. They only see a bunch of rich back packing hippies. There are rednecks in every part of the world!!! I try not to go to urban areas. In Europe, like the US, the further away from cities you get the more good ole' boys you will find.

From my experience, and having seen it being done to other foreigners many times over, it's the good ole' boys who have nothing better than to whine and complain about every little minute thing that it makes you wonder how screwed up are their families! Yet no matter where in the world you are, you will encounter something similar and ask yourself ... WTF?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

ronglimeng

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:51 am

I think a lot of anti-American sentiment has a strong jealousy factor built in to it. Not many people like to see big Americans (not always fat... lots of Americans are just big) with comfortable clothes and expensive cameras and other toys, enjoying themselves as they pass through your neighbourhood. People who speak up and are not afraid to let others know what they're thinking,

I want to say something in praise of New Yorkers. I've been there 3 times for a total of about 32 hours so I guess I can call myself an expert(!). In that time I had a couple of experiences where if I was probably looking stunned, someone would help me out - but kind of in a gruff way, not sweet or anything.... like " Hey, where do you fella's wanna go???" or while waiting at what we thought was a subway stop, " I hope you're not standing here, waiting for a train???" . (Yes, we were). I can take that kind of help without the sugar, any day. New York is okay in my books.

falstaff

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 am

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 26):
From my experience, and having seen it being done to other foreigners many times over, it's the good ole' boys who have nothing better than to whine and complain about every little minute thing that it makes you wonder how screwed up are their families!

There is a fine line between goold ole' boys and trash.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 21):
If you tell a foreigner you are from Chicago, they will most likely say something about Michael Jordan. Before that it was Al Capone. When my dad lived in the West Bank, he was called "Mr. Chicago" accompanied with the gun gesture and "bang bang."

You should see it when you say Detroit!

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 25):
Now add in the rust

Rust??? In Texas. Ya'll haven't seen rust compared to Detroit. We go to Texas to buy car/trucks without rust.

kiwiinoz

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:02 am

I think they are not so much viewed as "rude", but perhaps insular and self absorbed.

This, I think is the result of 2 things:

Firstly, the politics. Foreign policy. Whether you consider the actions right or wrong, I think most of the non-American world know that American forign policy is often taken without considering too much alternative perspective. This is why time and time again American's are surprised at foreign reaction to initiatives that they thought were for the greater good, when infact they are being a bit "Ameri-centric" in their perception.

Second is the traditional view of the Ammerican traveller. As we know, most Americans don't travel internationally much. Often, when they do, it is in the early years of retirement. This is a difficult age to travel internationally for the first time as you are more likely to be uncompromising on home comforts and therefore react badly to things that are significantly different, as they are when you travel. This phenomenon is definitely changing though. Americans are travelling younger, and most that I meet now are similar in their outlook to travellers from other parts.

I don't think either of these things would qualify as rudeness though, more a bit of ignorance. I assume this will break down over time.

767Lover

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:26 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 29):
Second is the traditional view of the Ammerican traveller. As we know, most Americans don't travel internationally much.

According to statistics I've seen for 2006, the US and Australia had about the same percentage of residents traveling internationally.

Mike89406

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:24 am

One thing I can say is I have never experienced the rudeness some people proclaim about Americans in my travels except once or twice. In Australia & Tasmania me and my friend were welcomed and treated with high respect and I don't remember having to pay for my drinks when in a club or bar because someone was buying them for us or wanted to get us pissed. In Europe I had a great time in various countries.

I remember vividly in a French restraunt in Marseille France the waiter tried to rip us off I gave the guy 400 Franks because I didn’t have small change. After dinner he stuffed the money in his pockets and tried to give me back 20 franks or so. I then said where’s the rest of my change? And he pulled the rest of the money out of his pocket. It wasn't just the fact he tried stealing that made him rude it was his snooty attitude towards us the whole time. The other time was in Dubai some of the natives were giving me weird looks. The Brits, Filipinos, and Aussies etc... Were all very nice to me.

Generally I can remember most of the time being invited to hang out with families from wherever we were visiting getting a personalized tour of the area and just enjoying the culture.

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 27):
want to say something in praise of New Yorkers. I've been there 3 times for a total of about 32 hours so I guess I can call myself an expert(!). In that time I had a couple of experiences where if I was probably looking stunned, someone would help me out - but kind of in a gruff way, not sweet or anything.... like " Hey, where do you fella's wanna go???" or while waiting at what we thought was a subway stop, " I hope you're not standing here, waiting for a train???" . (Yes, we were). I can take that kind of help without the sugar, any day. New York is okay in my books.

You’re completely spot on at least from my experience. Not to say there isn't rude people in NYC or anywhere else for that matter. I have learned that New Yorkers are more voiceful and perhaps louder but at the same time which is why it gets it’s reputation for being rude. Truth be told the people are just different there but mostly people in NYC are more
than helpful to lend a helpful hand when needed even more so than proclaimed friendly towns and cities.

There is a stereotype that New Yorkers are rude people and that NYC is a violent city watch your back etc....Point and case I was riding the NJ transit bus back about 10 years ago from EWR to Manhattan for my 1st visit to the metropolis. This guy got on the bus ahead of an old lady trying to board. The bus driver proceeded to vocally scold the guy for being so rude. There have been times where locals just came up and started to engage in conversation very cordial etc... which surprised me with my stereotype back then.

This is not to say that NYC can do no wrong however I thought NYC suffers a bad rap when it's one of the safer and friendlier major cities in the US for its size and infrastructure. I know it used to be regarded for high crime which is why it had a bad reputation before I set foot in the city.

Mike

Mir

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 30):
According to statistics I've seen for 2006, the US and Australia had about the same percentage of residents traveling internationally.

I wonder what percentage of those trips are made to Canada and New Zealand, respectively.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

kiwiinoz

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):
I wonder what percentage of those trips are made to Canada and New Zealand, respectively.

And also, how many are troop deployments?

Springbok747

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:12 am

I've never come across a rude American...but then again not many people visit this part of the country. Most tourists seem to visit SYD, BNE and the Gold Coast..when they come to Oz.
But..I lived in the US (Atlanta and NY) for 8 months(in 2003)...and seriously..it was the best 8 months of my life. I had a blast! Made a lot of new friends. It was great going back last year, I had a real good time for a month...planning to visit for a couple of months in 2012 (long way off..but I need to graduate first Big grin )
אני תומך בישראל

JoeCanuck

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 am

The rudest place I've every experienced is Doha. The locals, (and their kids), treat service people like garbage. A trip to a mall on a Friday is a real eye opener. It really is shocking the first time you experience it.

Just south, Abu Dhabi is one of the friendliest cities I've been to...so it's not an Arab thing, just a Qatari thing.

As for Americans, I lived down in Texas for a year and have made quite a few trips there and most of the folks I've met have been nice.
What the...?

Alessandro

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:27 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 3):
Well, your otherwise mild mannered and diplomatic president Obama just told the sovereign EU states that they should allow Turkey to join the EU as some sort of a peace offering between the west and muslims.

Yes how would it be if Sarkozy would tell the US to accept Mexico into the USA. I'm sure that wouldn't be regarded as rude (and stupid) by the US. Peh.

asturias

EU isn´t a sovereign country, more like Sarkozy would say that US should allow Cuba into GATT.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 am

Its not about the countrymen But about an Individual thats rude......Good & Bad apples everywhere.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

keesje

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:07 am

Well I think the "greatest nation", "leading" "spreading democracy" etc. stuff is fed to US youngsters intensively & programs them a bit in their world views. I guess when they travel around, they see other parts of the world have there act together and their goals are not exactly being like the US us much as they can and many feel they are the "greatest nation" too.

I think many view the US as a bit naive but also spirited and I guess Crimson is right:

In my experience most US folks are more friendly / helpfull then e.g. Europeans to strangers.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

ohthedrama747

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:01 am

I think the image is unwarranted. I have been to the US 10+ times and I've never met one who went out of there way to be rude. There are some obnoxious people but they are everywhere, not just in the US.

I've been to Spain twice and have found the people to be ignorant. We were in Palma and stored luggage in a locker rental place in the city. The locker got jammed and when we informed the attendant he went ballistic! We eventually lost our temper and shouted right back. Just stupid.

Sorry Spaniards, I don't believe you are all like that but that's just been my experience so far.

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:09 am

Quoting Keesje (Reply 39):
Well I think the "greatest nation", "leading" "spreading democracy" etc. stuff is fed to US youngsters intensively & programs them a bit in their world views. I guess when they travel around, they see other parts of the world have there act together and their goals are not exactly being like the US us much as they can and many feel they are the "greatest nation" too.

yeah this is definetly true, but living abroad is a different expierence. I dunno, i thought most indians would be appreciative of america. I mean they send their kids there for school, they wanna move there, they partake of american culture quite heavily these days. I know me being an Indian-American i sometimes get stereotyped here which isnt fair. I think the media definetly hypes things up too, one way or another.

baguy

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:23 am

Really, It is a question of point of view and personal opinion.

I have American relatives who live in Colorado and naturally they are extremely hospitable, my school is very international with lots of Americans who are also very nice. But I have met some EXTREMELY rude Americans, for example in London last week they seemed to barge through and queue jump all the time - BUT it would be unfair to classify ALL Americans as rude as has already been said.

It's like I generally find the Portuguese friendlier and more hospitable than the Spanish, though I have met some vile Portuguese and wonderful Spanish people.

And again, that is just MY personal opinion. In my view yes, Americans can be rude and callous but so can the British, French, Italians, Germans, Greeks etc. But like anything, a small percentage of people who are like that spoil the image of the rest.

BAguy

RayChuang

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 am

I think the big problem here is that there exists a lot of stereotypes of foreigners based on how they act as tourists. Having walked around San Francisco many times in Fisherman's Wharf I find most foreign tourists to be pretty good people, especially Japanese and German tourists (we get a lot of those in San Francisco).

Of course, some say the European equivalent of the "ulgy American" are British holidaymakers who visit southern Europe in the summer, based on stories I've read on several UK news web sites.  Smile British tourists I've seen visiting the USA actually act pretty good, for the most part (probably because of the expense of vacationing in the USA even with a devalued US dollar, in my humble opinion!).

RussianJet

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:59 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 37):
EU isn´t a sovereign country,

GATT is a poor comparison. In terms of the implications for immigration etc, the fact that the whole of Turkey will be allowed to go live and work anywhere in the EU, it may as well be a sovereign country.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

767Lover

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):
Quoting 767Lover (Reply 30):

Australians to New Zealand: 17.5 percent (see source a)
Americans to Canada: Roughly 22 percent (see source b) (Note: Corrected for miscalculation)

More stats if you're interested:

Top 3 destinations for Australians (as a percent of travelers):

New Zealand 17.5
US: 8.9
UK: 8.4

Top 3 destinations for Americans (as a percentage of travelers) (corrected from earlier miscalculation)

Canada (#2)
Mexico (#1)
UK: Roughly (#3)
(The UK number was similar to some other European destinations that were included in the top 10. Other top 10 destinations included China and Japan, the latter which tied with Bahamas and Jamaica for same number of travelers. That actually surprised me given the distance.)

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 33):
Quoting Mir (Reply 32):

And also, how many are troop deployments?

I don't think Forbes is counting troops.

But according to the official numbers, nearly 63.7 million U.S. residents traveled internationally in 2006,

Sources:

a) Australian Bureau of Statistics, "Overseas Arrivals and Departures" http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]?opendocument
Look for paragraph that says "In original terms, a record 4.9 million residents travelled overseas for short-term visits during the year ended December 2006. This compared with 4.8 million in the year ended December 2005. Ten years ago (1996), there were 2.7 million residents departing Australia short-term." with table following.

b) Forbes Traveler article: "Where Americans Visit Most"
http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-l...ans-visit-slide.html?partner=msnbc

Note: the Forbes article was using actual numbers vs. percentages, so I used 300 million for the calculation.

Edit: Now that I've had my coffee I realize I made a mistake in calculating the US percentages. The Australian numbers are correct, but I was basing my US % on total population vs. number of travelers which was around 63 million.

So the number of American travelers to Canada should be just under 22%. However the article does point out some interesting figures about American travelers that I thought were enlightening (i.e. the number of travelers going to China and Asia )

Note that my statement last night about roughly the same % of Aussie and US international travelers still stands because I was using total populations (4.9 million Aussie international travelers out of 21 million population, and 63 million American international travelers vs. 300 mill population.

Sorry for any confusion. And I wasn't trying to pull one over on anyone, it was an honest mistake.

[Edited 2009-04-06 06:09:21]

falstaff

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 44):
However the article does point out some interesting figures about American travelers that I thought were enlightening (i.e. the number of travelers going to China and Asia )

I would imagine that a lot of that is traveling for business or people with friends and relatives in those places. I doubt that a lot of Americans without ties to Asia visit there. I know lots of Americans who travel to Europe for fun and sightseeing, but I have only known a couple of people who have gone to Asia other than for business or visiting family.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 44):
Mexico (#1)

That may soon change. With all the trouble in Mexico I bet a lot of people are planning for vacation elsewhere. At the school I teach at about 120 kids signed up for a Mexican Springbreak this year. All but 33 of them have already pulled out. They leave this Friday, I will be interested in seeing how many actually go. Last year over 100 went. The students I have talked to said the drug violence in Mexico is why they or there parents pulled out of the trip.

I saw a lot of French Canadians do that when I visited the New England states back in the 90s. Those people were very rude.

Quoting Baguy (Reply 41):
But I have met some EXTREMELY rude Americans, for example in London last week they seemed to barge through and queue jump all the time

LH423

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:50 pm

And this has what to do with how the average American is perceived on the street?

This is something I've noticed that's applied peculiarly to Americans. Americans are judged far more on the government they elect than any other nationality. Yes, I realize that the policies of the US have more of an effect on other countries but I suspect that many Europeans would not like the policies and government we have in Canada right now, yet there hasn't been any sort of backlash against Canadians the way Americans experienced since 2001.

Of course, I also think a lot of this 'anti-Americanism' out there isn't directed at the average traveller. Most people can make the distinction between the person and the government. However, even in this thread people have stated how attitudes are changing due to the new president and I think that's such a superficial reason to judge an entire nationality.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 46):

And this has what to do with how the average American is perceived on the street?

Absolutely nothing.

. . . . .

There are rude people everywhere. The US is not exempt. Nor is ANY country.

If you base whether or not an entire country is rude solely on who is the sitting head of state, you have missed the boat . . . in fact, you didn't even buy a ticket.

I really could care less for say, Merkel . . . . (as an example only), but for me to profess that Germans are Rude is absurd.

They have no sense of humor but they ain't rude. LOL

Anyone that knows me knows Germany is my favorite overseas place. . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

JoeCanuck

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 47):
Anyone that knows me knows Germany is my favorite overseas place. . . .

I had a great time in Germany last year...wonderful country...surprisingly affordable Where else can one take a rented Smart car on a race track? I reckon I have one of the few laps of the Nurburgring in a Smart.

There are friendly and rude people everywhere. Most people most places are, if not friendly, at least polite.
What the...?

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 48):

Smart Car on a Race Track. . . . high speed, 12 KPH. LOL.

I love Canada also. I get to the Yukon and BC at least every summer. Having grown up a stone's throw from both, and the fact that geographically, they aren't different, I love it!!!

Like I said. to declare an entire country rude based on it's sitting head of state is absolutely ridiclous.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND