Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cba
Topic Author

Verizon Phones Abroad

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Just got back from a week long trip to Paris, and I must say that I was quite disapointed by the fact that my semi-new (6 month old) Verizon Blackberry Curve got no service while over there, as I have friends and colleagues who have the same phone under AT&T and were able to get service.

Other than the Storm, are there any Verizon blackberries available that will work when abroad? I know that they're coming out with the Bold 9000 for Verizon soon, but will that work? I've looked at the storm but I am honestly not a fan of touch screens, so I am wondering what my options are other than to break my contract with Verizon or switch to back to AT&T... however Verizon's network service in the US is far superior than that of anyone else so it's a tough call...

Any input?

Klaus

RE: Verizon Phones Abroad

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:57 pm

As far as I know, Verizon uses wireless transmission methods which are not in use outside of the USA. With GSM you can go pretty much anywhere, but in your case you'd need a dual-standard device if these exist at all.

max550

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Verizon will not work anywhere outside the US. AT&T and I believe T-Mobile will work, I don't know about the others though.
My Blackberry Pearl doesn't work here (Ireland) so I am almost positive none of the other ones will work either.

OA412

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 2):
AT&T and I believe T-Mobile will work, I don't know about the others though.

As far as I know it's just T-mobile and AT & T that work outside the US.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:39 pm

The only verizon phones that will work overseas are the blackberry World Edition (dur) the storm and two phones by samsung and motorola.

Kristport

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Verizon and Sprint/Nextel utilize a technology called CDMA, which is not the standard in most other countries around the world.

AT&T and T-Mobile utilize the GSM technology, which is becoming the standard in these other countries. However, the GSM signal that is used by these two companies is not the same as the ones used in Europe and other areas of the world.

To be able to use any phone in the USA and Europe, you would need either a Quad Band GSM phone, or a CDMA Phone with Quad Band capability. Verizon calls the phones that have the quad band capability,"Word Edition" Phones.

Verizon Currently Advertises the Following as "World Phones":
BlackBerry Storm
Samsung Saga
Samsung Renown
BlackBerry 8830
Motorola Z6c

Any of these phones should work outside of the US in places that have GSM cell coverage, abet a a much higher international long distance roaming rate.

-KristPort

max550

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Quoting KristPort (Reply 5):
Verizon Currently Advertises the Following as "World Phones":

I didn't know that, I'll definitely have to get one of those when I get my new phone in June. Not having a cell phone is no fun.

dl021

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:08 pm

You can always rent one or purchase a prepaid phone.

mt99

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 6):
Not having a cell phone is no fun.

Of course everyone's needs are different, but and while have used and enjoyed (and paid!) the convinced of roaming all over the world.. it was quite liberating when i was in Japan and my phone did not work..

Fly2HMO

Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Verizon will not work anywhere outside the US.

False. My phone worked just fine in Mexico and the UK, and other countries that have CDMA networks. And it's not a world phone. While CDMA is rare out of the US, it isn't the exception. The downside is that most foreign CDMA networks seem to be concentrated only around urban areas, so if you're driving in the middle of nowhere and you're car breaks down, you're SOL for calling for assistance.

Verizon and Sprint/Nextel utilize a technology called CDMA,

checkmark 

767Lover

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 9):
My phone worked just fine in Mexico and the UK

I had Verizon service in Mexico also. However, I had to set my phone up to do this by dialing a special number before I left the US.

I was using a Treo at the time.

Under Verizon's Global & International Information Overview at http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Internat...national_information_overview.html

1) Can I use my Verizon Wireless phone or BlackBerry in other countries?
You can use your current Verizon Wireless phone to make and receive calls in over 40 countries around the world. Visit International Roaming to see where you may be able to use your current Verizon Wireless phone for more information.

max550

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:47 am

False. My phone worked just fine in Mexico and the UK, and other countries that have CDMA networks. And it's not a world phone. While CDMA is rare out of the US, it isn't the exception. The downside is that most foreign CDMA networks seem to be concentrated only around urban areas, so if you're driving in the middle of nowhere and you're car breaks down, you're SOL for calling for assistance.

Sorry, I should have clarified, my phone doesn't work in the countries I've tried it in (most of Europe and now Ireland, but not the UK.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 10):
1) Can I use my Verizon Wireless phone or BlackBerry in other countries?
You can use your current Verizon Wireless phone to make and receive calls in over 40 countries around the world. Visit International Roaming to see where you may be able to use your current Verizon Wireless phone for more information.

After checking this I see there are some countries that you can use Verizon in, just none that I've been to.

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:55 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 10):
However, I had to set my phone up to do this by dialing a special number before I left the US.

You're not talking about *228 are you?

As for me, all I had to do was make a one-time call to the VZW customer service and ask them to enable international dialing/roaming. Takes a whole 2 mins. I've been pleased with VZW's customer service, I've never been put on hold for more than a minute and I always seem to get a girl with a cute voice helping me (yes, I've considered the possibility she could weigh 400lbs lol).

It's also a good idea to update your phones PRL (roaming list) using *228 before you travel abroad. But you should update the PRL monthly anyways even if you don't plan on going out of your own house.

[Edited 2009-04-10 17:56:22]

767Lover

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:57 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 12):
You're not talking about *228 are you?

As for me, all I had to do was make a one-time call to the VZW customer service and ask them to enable international dialing/roaming.

I have done both. I can't remember which one I did first.

ADXMatt

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Verizon will lend you a global phone very inexpensively. I think it was like $3/day. People can use your regular number to reach you and you also get a local number in Europe.

Calls within the EU are less expensive then calls to/from the USA.

It worked well for me before I got my BB Storm.

Dreadnought

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):

As far as I know it's just T-mobile and AT & T that work outside the US.

While the entire rest of the world converted to GSM 20 years ago, the US insisted on being different. Until recently, travelers could use their cell phones in Africa, Asia, Europe, but not in the US. You got better phone service in Mongolia.

Thankfully ATT and T-Mobile have finally gotten to a world standard.

fbgdavidson

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 am

I've got the Motorola z6c World Edition and whilst it isn't the world's greatest phone it does work everywhere except Japan. When I got it last year it was about $300 and the only other option with Verizon was a BlackBerry and to be honest I didn't want a BlackBerry! The one thing I didn't realise was that when you leave the CDMA countries you need to change the phone settings to GSM! Didn't have to do that on my previous UK based triband phone and caused me to freak out a little when I first took it abroad and it didn't work!

Kristport

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:37 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 16):
does work everywhere except Japan

I was just at my local Verizon Store today, and the rep said that the Blackberry Storm is the first World Phone that they offer that also works in Japan as well as the GSM and CDMA countries. He also said that it can be set up to automatically switch between CDMA and GSM with network avalability.

-KristPort

MillwallSean

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 pm

False. My phone worked just fine in Mexico and the UK, and other countries that have CDMA networks.

I really wonder who the company is that provide a CDMA network in the UK?
I know non of the majors does so I assume its a small company that only target international roaming. I have never seen a CDMA phone for sale in the UK.

TylerDurden

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 pm

No. Used it in UK, NL, and UAE in the last month. No problem.
So far, only Japan is a proplem.

If you do get a Worldphone...be sure and have the int'l activation package put on it before you go. For the extra $23---you'll save yourself hundreds in calls and roaming when travelling.

The package can be removed once you return.

Fly2HMO

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 18):
I really wonder who the company is that provide a CDMA network in the UK?

No idea. But it was really spotty service anyways so the network isn't all that widespread.

Go3Team

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:31 pm

I use Sprint, another CDMA provider. I have a phone that has both GSM/CDMA radios in it. It also sports a SIM card for the GSM network. The GSM side can only be used overseas. That being said, the CDMA side worked in Jamaica this week, at an astounding rate of $1.99USD a minute. I also have a T-Mobile quad band phone, which has worked everywhere I've needed it - US and abroad.

Cadet57

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 19):
be sure and have the int'l activation package put on it before you go. For the extra $23---you'll save yourself hundreds in calls and roaming when travelling.

Does that cover talking and text?

redflyer

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Quoting Cba (Thread starter):
I must say that I was quite disapointed by the fact that my semi-new (6 month old) Verizon Blackberry Curve got no service while over there, as I have friends and colleagues who have the same phone under AT&T and were able to get service.

Ditch them for either AT&T or T-Mobile. It's worth the early termination fee that they'll charge you. I was with Verizon for 7 years. Their service was outstanding. But when I started traveling overseas on business, it became a real problem. I switched to AT&T and later to T-Mobile. While the quality of their calls is not up to snuff as compared to Verizon, it's good enough for me to use in business and it gives me peace-of-mind when I travel overseas.

I know for a fact it will work in Mexico and India.

However, the GSM signal that is used by these two companies is not the same as the ones used in Europe and other areas of the world.

I was able to make and receive calls, as well as data transmissions, while traveling in Europe with AT&T and T-Mobile.