Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

okees

RE: NHL Playoffs Are Here!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:24 pm

So.. the Rangers have taken a 2-0 lead against the Caps. I did not see this happening, especially since the caps had home ice advantage! Lets see what the Rangers do at home.
mobs jakis

NIKV69

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Quoting Okees (Reply 50):
So.. the Rangers have taken a 2-0 lead against the Caps. I did not see this happening, especially since the caps had home ice advantage! Lets see what the Rangers do at home.

They got the hot goalie and are playing back to early season form. They will put the Caps away in 5. LETS GO RANGERS!!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

yooyoo

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 51):
They got the hot goalie and are playing back to early season form. They will put the Caps away in 5. LETS GO RANGERS!!

aren't you an Isle's fan?
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

STLUAL747

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:02 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 49):
Anyone see the Vancouver/St Louis game Friday? St Louis is good, but their coach was pissed at the end of the game! He pulled their goalie, Vancouver scored a third goal and he was upset.

He was upset because Vancouver sent out a checking line to finish a game that was 3-0 (the NHL told the coaches not to send any messages at the end of a game when they score has already been decided, see the Flyer's center Carcilo). That is fine and all if nothing happens, but Bieksa decided to take the feet out from under Crombeen as Crombeen was skating backwards after the final buzzer went. What Bieksa did was very unprofessional and unsportsman-like, and to me it is sending a message. That was why he was upset, not because the Blues lost 3-0.

JF
Lonely in Deserted St. Louis.

seb146

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:20 am

Quoting STLUAL747 (Reply 53):
What Bieksa did was very unprofessional and unsportsman-like, and to me it is sending a message.

Ah. I did not see that. I did see the scuffle after the horn. The annoucers made some comment about "upstairs" looking at suspentions or some kind of punishment, but they never expounded on what that was about. Thanks!

They have been a physical two games, though. It will only get tougher with the next two in STL. Hopefully, Vancouver can take at least one.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

STLUAL747

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:26 am

Apparently in the end there will be no suspensions handed down on either side. IMO, I think Bieksa should get one, but perhaps I am biased. I certainly don't think Crombeen should get one since he was simply retaliating to a cheap shot. Anyways, I guess no real harm no real foul.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 54):
They have been a physical two games, though. It will only get tougher with the next two in STL. Hopefully, Vancouver can take at least one.

The first 2 games really have been fun to watch. Luongo has played like a man possessed. As far as you hoping the Canucks can take at least 1 in STL, I can't say I hope for the same. I have tickets to both games and the place should be rocking. LET'S GO BLUES!!!  biggrin 

JF

Arrow

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:44 am

Quoting STLUAL747 (Reply 53):
He was upset because Vancouver sent out a checking line to finish a game that was 3-0

What would you do -- send out your stars for a possible mugging when the game was already decided? Maybe you didn't notice Perron running at every blue uniform he could find in the last minute. I agree with you that Bieksa's trip at the buzzer was a cheap shot, but let's not paint the other guys as angels shall we.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

STLUAL747

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:01 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 56):
What would you do -- send out your stars for a possible mugging when the game was already decided? Maybe you didn't notice Perron running at every blue uniform he could find in the last minute. I agree with you that Bieksa's trip at the buzzer was a cheap shot, but let's not paint the other guys as angels shall we.

I'm not saying the Blues are innocent. But when you compare Perron who is under 6 foot and less than 180lbs trying to hit people to that of a trip like Bieksa had on Crombeen, I think what Bieksa did was much more uncalled for. What Perron was doing was from what I could tell legal. Like I said, I don't mind sending the fourth liners out if it is to avoid injuries to your top players. I am fine with that, but I do have a problem when they decide to do things like what Bieksa did, and I think Murray had every right to be upset.

And just a side note You may say Murray should have told Perron not to go out and start hitting people. Honestly, he probably did. I have been to several Blues' practices, and Perron never listens or pays attention to anything the coaches say. He is off in his own little world.

JF

NIKV69

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:05 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 52):
aren't you an Isle's fan?

Uhhhh No. Been a Ranger long enough to say I watched Ron Duguay play.

yooyoo

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:18 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 58):
Uhhhh No. Been a Ranger long enough to say I watched Ron Duguay play.

crap, got you mixed up with somebody else.  blush 
Duguay, he had lovely flowing hair.  Wink

jcs17

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:11 am

Aside from rooting for anyone playing the Rangers, I don't care. The Isles have the first overall pick in the entry draft (read: John Tavares), and that's what I care about. I think it will be Detroit vs. Boston in the cup, with Detroit winning it again.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Arrow

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:08 am

Quoting STLUAL747 (Reply 57):
I have been to several Blues' practices, and Perron never listens or pays attention to anything the coaches say. He is off in his own little world.

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. It was a hell of a game though, and 3-0 makes it look more lopsided than it was. I hope Sunday's game is the same, regardless of who wins.

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 am

Great, the Canucks are now up 3-0 only 1 win left from getting through to the next round! It would be interesting to see how San Jose plays, if San Jose looses the series, the Canucks might end up playing Calgary or Chicago (providing Detroit wins their Series).
Keep the shinny side up!

A332

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Anaheim will take the series on San Jose. Like the Flames, the Sharks always have an amazing regular season and then fall apart in the playoffs.

Calgary is done for sure. It'll be Detroit, Anaheim, Chicago & Vancouver through to the next round in the West.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

jfk69

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 59):
crap, got you mixed up with somebody else.

Did you mix us up?

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 59):
Duguay, he had lovely flowing hair.

Still does...you can watch him on Hockey Night live every sat night.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 60):
The Isles have the first overall pick in the entry draft (read: John Tavares), and that's what I care about

let's keep our fingers crossed. If snow was smart and he wanted to get asses in the seat next season, he would come out today and say we are taking Tavares....but on the otehr hand, maybe he has to listen to every deal being thrown at him. I know TOR has nothing to offer exceot for their 7th pick (How about Our SJ 1st rounder and a few of our seconds for TOR 7??) but maybe PIT would come out of nowhere and say, Malkin for the 1 pick....

I guess I am just hoping that Snowy dosen't screw this one [email protected]

yooyoo

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 64):
Did you mix us up?

Yes !!...it was the 69 that mixed me up....opps

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 64):
I know TOR has nothing to offer exceot for their 7th pick

we have more than that!!.....c'omon let's make a deal.  Wink

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 am

And off to the links the blues go. The Canucks swept them! Go Canucks Go! First to the second round!

In St. Louis's defence, every game was hard fought they just just did not have what it takes to beat the Canucks!
Keep the shinny side up!

garnetpalmetto

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:47 am

Tonight's Canes-Devils game illustrates just what a bad idea it was to not have these two teams on national TV. Carolina blows a 3-0 lead only to score with 0.2 seconds left, tying the series at 2 apiece. GO CANES!

And of course, congrats to the Pens on their victory too  Smile
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

GQfluffy

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 am

The Jackets haven't even showed up for their first playoff series. While this is good for my Wings...not having much of a contest isn't.

And how 'bout that RJ Umberger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmI27LsRM4
This isn't where I parked my car...

A332

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:16 pm

Man... too bad the Ducks couldn't take a win... I was looking forward to seeing the league leading Sharks down 3-0.

Disappointing result in the Canucks/Blues match up too... the Blues should have been rewarded with a win after that effort, but it would seem the lucky horseshoe is still up Luongo's butt.

Of course, the Canucks now sit idle for the next several days while round 1 continues, not always a good situation. Perhaps they'll lose their mojo and their upcoming opponent will knock 'em down!

seb146

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 69):
the Canucks now sit idle for the next several days while round 1 continues, not always a good situation. Perhaps they'll lose their mojo and their upcoming opponent will knock 'em down!

That is what I am afraid of. I am glad the swept the series, but they need to stay "in the zone" but now, they may go cold. It could get even uglier if they have to play Calgary in the next round!

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 69):
Of course, the Canucks now sit idle for the next several days while round 1 continues, not always a good situation. Perhaps they'll lose their mojo and their upcoming opponent will knock 'em down!

Well its good and bad, I think the rest is going to be good for the Canucks. Get Sundin and Salo back and it should be good to go!

Here was the party on Robson after Game 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxqx5avu8w
Keep the shinny side up!

smcmac32msn

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 68):
And how 'bout that RJ Umberger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmI2...LsRM4

Deja Vu??? Completely clean hit (I'm a Jackets fan) unlike all the comments. Its just part of hockey. RJ's a good player, but he can't keep his head on a swivel for some reason. Its just sad considering this has happened to him before. Stuart shouldn't even be looked at by the league, as R.J. pulled up just before taking the hit. This is more than 1/2 R.J.'s fault.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

BlueElephant

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 pm

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about hte Penguins..

In my opinion...Marc Andre Fleury is probably the best goalie in the playoffs at the moment. 45 saves last night...Phenominal...at one point, it seemed like he had eyes in the back of his head!

GQfluffy

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:31 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 72):

Yup. The BJs are going to be good, but I think the playoff intensity caught them completely off-guard. They'll learn, quick, how it takes a bit of luck, some bounces, and ALOT of sacrifice, to win in the NHL playoffs.

A332

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 70):
That is what I am afraid of. I am glad the swept the series, but they need to stay "in the zone" but now, they may go cold. It could get even uglier if they have to play Calgary in the next round!

Either way, the Canucks have to face a real team in round 2... meeting up with the Blues was a cake walk, and although I expected a better showing from St. Louis, I'm also not shocked that their young roster & lack of playoff experience fell quickly.

Look at Columbus... same deal. No playoff experience = quick exit.

The Blackhawks have been the recipient of a rather lucklustre Flames showing in Games 1 & 2... with a Flames win in game 3 and all sorts of bad blood between the teams, I wouldn't be surprised to see the series change course.

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 71):
Well its good and bad, I think the rest is going to be good for the Canucks. Get Sundin and Salo back and it should be good to go!

Here was the party on Robson after Game 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxqx...avu8w

Sundin = Bump on a Log. The Canucks are better off without him, as evidenced in their victories and their strong push in the 2nd half. Sundin has contributed little for how much money he is being paid.

It wasn't so rosy in the Canucks nation last night everywhere:
http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/2009/04/22/9203646.html

Tsk.

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 73):
n my opinion...Marc Andre Fleury is probably the best goalie in the playoffs at the moment. 45 saves last night...

Luongo is playing really well as well. Last night he kept the Canucks in it. He Made 47 saves last night, including 18 in the OT. Did a great job keeping the Canucks in the game on Sunday, made 30 saves friday for a shutout and held St. Louis to 1 goal on game 1. Before yesterdays game (do not now what it is now) but he had a GAA of 1.00 and a save percentage of .966!!!!  Wow!

Just goes to show how the play offs are all about who you have in net. I hope Fleury can get Pittsburg past Philly and into the second round!

Lets hope Heiller can keep the Sharks at bay and get Aniehem past the first round!
Keep the shinny side up!

LH423

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:09 am

I've got a broom if any of the Habs fans would like it!  Smile

I actually didn't expect the Canadiens to fold the way they have. I thought for sure that while it wouldn't be an exact repeat of last year, that this would probably go to game 6. But unless the Habs can come back and score at least 3 goals to tie or 4 to win in the next 13 mins, it's over.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

STLUAL747

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 75):
Either way, the Canucks have to face a real team in round 2... meeting up with the Blues was a cake walk, and although I expected a better showing from St. Louis

I may trying to find a silver lining, but I wouldn't call that sweep by the Canucks a cake walk. Every game with the exception of game 2 was a one goal game (and that 2-0 game, prior to the empty net goal, could have been a lot closer if the crossbars McDonald hit went in). The Blues for the most part played right with the Canucks. I heard one analyst say (I don't remember who) that this was probably the closest four game sweep in NHL history. Both teams really had their moments in the series. The only difference was that Chris Mason is human. Luongo played as good as any goalie ever has. Lack of experience definitely hurt the Blues, which I think really showed on the special teams, but I still think Luongo was playing well enough to win the series himself even if things had been clicking a little better for the Blues. That's just my two cents.

JF

TheCol

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 am

Way to take it Vancouver!!! That's what I'm talking about!

Yeah, we all really partied it up last night...Vancouver Style!!!

Apparently, it was a wild night in Abbotsford and Surrey/Delta as well.

That being said, they do have to pick up the pace a bit to still be a contender. However, given that Luongo would rather eat his own jock strap before losing out in the post-season, I have faith he'll keep everyone else in line for the 2nd round. The rest of the team is doing great, with the exception of Sundin. As far as it goes for Alain Vigneault, there isn't much else he is capable of doing other than keeping status quo, which is surprising in itself. I really hope he doesn't drag the team down.

It is pretty much a given that Montreal will loose out in Round 1. The Habs barely held it together all season.

Calgary's performance this round is a total joke. But hiring Mike Keenan was a joke too, which makes the Calgary Flames one big Joke.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

jfk69

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 pm

Friggin Rangers......Could they ride Lundquist anymore???

Hey caps, Where the hell is the scoring!!!!!!!

yooyoo

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:55 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 80):

They are not helping my hockey pool!! Never trust the Rangers or their fans !  duck   Wink

....They do have a nice Jersey.

Arrow

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:47 pm

Quoting TheCol (Reply 79):
Calgary's performance this round is a total joke. But hiring Mike Keenan was a joke too, which makes the Calgary Flames one big Joke.

Well, Chicago isn't laughing. They thought they'd broken the Flames backs with that 3-goal surge last night (and so did I). But the Flames came through. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Canucks-Flames round two match-up, but I guess Anaheim has to win for that to happen.

On the other hand, Keenan will eventually destroy them, just like he has most of the teams he's coached. There won't be a future with him behind the bench. Everyone says he's mellowed, but I don't believe it.

Stretch 8

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

The Caps are finished.

No team in the east (including Boston) will beat SJ or the Wings in the Finals.

The Big Red Machine rolls to another Cup for Hockeytown . . . deal with it, resistence is futile.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

NIKV69

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 65):
Yes !!...it was the 69 that mixed me up....opps

That could be a major problem with a girl.

Friggin Rangers......Could they ride Lundquist anymore???

I know they totally suck in their own zone on Defense and Avery could have got a 10 minute major for that hit on the icing play. Lucky but if they play back to early season form they have a shot.

How do you score when there is a WALL in front of that net. They have the hot goalie!

jfk69

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 84):
How do you score when there is a WALL in front of that net. They have the hot goalie!

Couldn't agree more. The caps had their chance in Game one when they had 3 off of Lundquist but sadly, theodore was in net and he can suck it. If they take that game, series is how it should be. At this point, it looks as if the Rangers will have to wait for the second round to dissapoint their fans  Big grin

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 83):
No team in the east (including Boston) will beat SJ or the Wings in the Finals.

Slow down fella, SJ may not make it out of the first round right now. As for the red wings, Osgood is playing ridiculous hockey right now but he can come crashing down to earth at any time.

Emirates773ER

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Quoting TheCol (Reply 79):

It ain't a joke anymore, Ignila is carrying his team forward with the win last night. The flames r on!
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

seb146

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:00 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 75):
meeting up with the Blues was a cake walk, and although I expected a better showing from St. Louis, I'm also not shocked that their young roster & lack of playoff experience fell quickly.

But the Blues put up a hell of a fight! I was expecting at least a 5 game series, the way the Blues were playing. This sweep stuff and waiting sucks! Who's bright idea was it to re-align the brackets, anyway? Who are the Canucks playing next? Detroit? Or is there some magic fomula kept under lock and key in Toronto?

GQfluffy

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 84):

The Caps don't have Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen, or Dan Cleary. The three best in the league and creating havoc in front of the pipes.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 87):
Who are the Canucks playing next? Detroit? Or is there some magic fomula kept under lock and key in Toronto?

If Anahiem wins the series, the 'Nucks get either the f(L)ames or the 'Hawks. If San Jose wins, the Orca plays the Shark.

Arrow

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 88):
If Anahiem wins the series, the 'Nucks get either the f(L)ames or the 'Hawks. If San Jose wins, the Orca plays the Shark.

You sure about that? I thought if SJ wins, Canucks play the Red Wings. Anyway, it looks like Anaheim definitely had SJ's number. The Sharks looked a little shell-shocked last night. My hoped-for Canucks-Flames match-up is getting closer -- unless the Flames find a way to blow it, which is entirely possible.

us330

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Sharks continue to choke!

What do the Sharks and the Titanic have in common?

They both look good until they hit the ice in April

(read this on ESPN.com)

ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 89):
I thought if SJ wins, Canucks play the Red Wings.

They do. Thats what he said if you look through the "nucks" "orca" "'hawks" etc...

Quoting Us330 (Reply 90):

That is a great joke. Big Joe Thorton is looking really slow out there, even slower then Mats Sundin for Vancouver!! But Mats has the ability to improve Kesler and Demitra around him... Thorton is draging his team down me things. I hope Thorton does not make it on to team Canada.
Keep the shinny side up!

jfk69

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Sharks continue to choke!

The Isles have the sharks forst round pic, so if they lose now they will have the 1 and the 26 pick....GO DUCKS!!!

Arrow

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 91):
Thats what he said if you look through the "nucks" "orca" "'hawks" etc...

At the risk of being pedantic, I interpret "the orca plays the shark" to mean the Canucks play the Sharks. Given that the Canucks symbol/mascot is an orca,what else could it mean? Anyway, you're right -- they'll play the Red Wings if SJ beats the Ducks. Go Ducks!

GQfluffy

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:09 am

No I hosed it all up. Trying to be cute and I apparently used too much brain.

If the San Jose finds a way to win, the 'Nucks get the Wings. Yes...my bad.

JoeCanuck

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:38 am

First good chortle of the day...thanks.
What the...?

ferengi80

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:15 pm

I've got to put a wager on a Bruins vs Blackhawks final. I'm stunned at how easily the Bruins beat the Habs. My gf is a major Habs fan, she really thought they might have given the Bruins a run for their money! I just wish the Oilers were in it...!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

itsjustme

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Am surprised there are no comments about the too many men call in the final 90 seconds of the Wings/Jackets game. Maybe that's a tribute to the contributors to this thread. Any true fan who knows the game knows it was a good call. But, even though it was an obvious call that had to be made, the color guys for the Blue Jackets disagreed with the call (big surprise). And I'm extremely disappointed in Ken Hitchcock. I thought he had more class. First he goes off on a rant to the media about how the Wings are being allowed to cheat on faceoffs and then he goes after the Linesman for making the too many men call. C'mon Ken, you're classier than that. Now that you've seen the films, I am sure you agree it was an appropriate call. And for the Blue Jacket fans who first littered the ice with cans and bottles and then pelted the Wings as they were congratulating Ozzie after game 4, grow the fuck up. Your team was out played, plain and simple. One call that you disagree with didn't cost your team the series. The Wings dominated your team in every aspect of the game.

USPIT10L

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 97):
And I'm extremely disappointed in Ken Hitchcock. I thought he had more class. First he goes off on a rant to the media about how the Wings are being allowed to cheat on faceoffs and then he goes after the Linesman for making the too many men call. C'mon Ken, you're classier than that.

No, he's not. He (and the rest of Flyer Nation) accused Crosby of diving, while Derian Hatcher drug Sid around like a rag doll with his stick in Crosby's mouth. Sid lost three teeth, IINM. Choker Nation has yet to get over it, that and the fact they have the most obnoxious ingorant fan base in the entire NHL. No one was happier than me to see the Flyers get crushed in the second and third period yesterday. Had to watch it on replay since I was working at the time of the game, but still.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

itsjustme

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:22 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 98):
Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 97):
And I'm extremely disappointed in Ken Hitchcock. I thought he had more class. First he goes off on a rant to the media about how the Wings are being allowed to cheat on faceoffs and then he goes after the Linesman for making the too many men call. C'mon Ken, you're classier than that.

No, he's not. He (and the rest of Flyer Nation) accused Crosby of diving, while Derian Hatcher drug Sid around like a rag doll with his stick in Crosby's mouth. Sid lost three teeth, IINM. Choker Nation has yet to get over it, that and the fact they have the most obnoxious ingorant fan base in the entire NHL. No one was happier than me to see the Flyers get crushed in the second and third period yesterday. Had to watch it on replay since I was working at the time of the game, but still.

I'm confused. What does Ken Hitchcock, the Columbus Blue Jackets coach have to do with the Flyers and their abuse of Crosby?