Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

greasespot
Topic Author

My New Ducati

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:04 am

Well last year I got a 2008 Ninja 250 as my first Motorcycle....well this year I sold it and just took delivery of a new Ducati 696 Monster......

I went to Toronto and drove it back today.....Go figure I was sunny and warm all day....and then today was rainy and miserable....I therefore drove it a smidge above the speed limit to get home faster......Poor quality photo due to me needing to get home fast

Big version: Width: 1600 Height: 1200 File size: 489kb

Gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Fly2HMO

RE: My New Ducati

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:12 am

Oh dude I want one!  drool  Though the 1100S model. I'd settle with a 696. Ducatis just sound gorgeous.

Then again that may be a bit too much of a bike for somebody who's never driven a bike Big grin

Quoting Greasespot (Thread starter):
a smidge

Sure you did  mischievous   Wink

andz

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:33 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
Oh dude

Dude looks like a lady....

Congrats, keep it black side down!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

FX772LRF

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:08 am

Nice bike! Very, very clean also. Big grin Definitely a good investment.  Wink Now, for the ultimate question, can I have a ride?? Big grin

-FX772LRF
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

swiftski

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:17 pm

Well last year I got a 2008 Ninja 250 as my first Motorcycle....well this year I sold it and just took delivery of a new Ducati 696 Monster......

Not a fan of bikes myself but it does look good.

Enjoy!

canuckpaxguy

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Very nice.
One of those was in my rear-view mirror on Friday night when I was stuck in traffic on the 401 near the airport. They're really nice bikes. Enjoy!

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 2):
Dude looks like a lady....

I know. I call several of my lady friends dude, it's just a habit. Their ok with it. I hope Ms. Greasespot is ok with it too. Big grin  duck 

2H4

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Congrats, and welcome to the ranks of the Ducatisti, GS!

Definitely install some nice Termignonis when the budget allows. Not because they're louder (they're not much louder), but because the sound will be so much fuller and deeper. It really does complete the whole Ducati riding experience, and after one ride, you'll be really glad you got them.

Then again that may be a bit too much of a bike for somebody who's never driven a bike

You might be surprised. Monsters are really light, and they also have a pretty low center of gravity. Combine those attributes with a nice wide handlebar and plenty of torque, and all you need to concentrate on is limiting yourself to the first half (or so) of the throttle. Easy as pie!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):
Easy as pie!

Well I'm an aggressive (but responsible) driver as it is, I'm almost sure I'd kill myself in a bike.  blush 

Jasondn

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Looks awesome and the Monster goes well too! Congrats and hope you have many happy miles on her!

greasespot
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14 am

compared to my 250 this is a rocketship........And is is kind of cool to have a bike people comment on....and come look at when you stop...I even saw someone take a picture of it today...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

janmnastami

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 am

Congrats!

My father had a MV Agusta F4:

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 355 File size: 32kb

He sold it some months after he bought it because he was too old to drive it  Smile .

I have just a Vespa:

Big version: Width: 280 Height: 272 File size: 14kb

andz

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:04 am

Quoting Janmnastami (Reply 11):
My father had a MV Agusta F4:

Nice to have money  Smile that thing is 3 times the price of my Yamaha Fazer!

malaysia

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:25 am

I have an Aprilia Mana 850, but not feeling very comfortable using it on 25 miles of freeway commute. I am having second thoughts to go back to a scooter
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

greasespot
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:08 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 13):
ut not feeling very comfortable using it on 25 miles of freeway commute

Why not...Seems that is perfect use?

C

Wolverine

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:42 am

Congrats! I've been a Monster Fan for a long time now. I always dreamed of having a Monster myself. I'd go for the 900. I did a test drive on a 1000S, 2 years ago, and loved it. But it always was too expensive.

Maybe next year there will be enough money to buy a used bike. I still would buy a Monster, but there is another bike, which would be real interesting, the Buell XB12scg. It looks great, sounds great, and suits rather small people, like me.

And I don't like the new look of the Monster family.
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

2H4

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Quoting Wolverine (Reply 15):
And I don't like the new look of the Monster family.

The fit is quite different, as well. The new Monster has a much shorter cockpit than the original. Also, the new one seems to place you further forward on the bike. To me, it felt almost supermoto-ish.

Now, whether those differences are good things or bad things depends entirely on the individual rider's proportions and taste...but the differences certainly are there.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

lowrider

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Ducati 696 Monster......

Nice choice. I am sure you will enjoy it. I would be interested to hear what you think of the bike after you put some mileage ( or kilometerage?) on it.

Then again that may be a bit too much of a bike for somebody who's never driven a bike

The power to weight ratio on isn't too bad. Tempered with good judgement, a 696 could be a good entry level bike. I haven't riden a 696, but if it is like the other Monsters, it will be very responsive, almost to the point of feeling that it have neutral stability. Perhaps Ms Greasespot could enlighten us on this after she has had the chance to give the bike a good shakedown ride.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 16):
To me, it felt almost supermoto-ish

Not necessarily a bad thing.  bigthumbsup 
Proud OOTSK member

2H4

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm giving serious consideration to selling my Monster and buying a BMW R1150GS instead.

Every one of the curves that do exist around here.....and I mean every single one.....is covered in gravel for most of the year due to farm equipment. So having a bike that gives up certain things in favor of cornering/handling makes less and less sense for me.

Plus, I like the idea of being able to carry camera and camping equipment. Also, the wind protection will likely extend the riding season by two or more months.

I do love the Monster, though...

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

greasespot
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Ok i have 700 km on it......400 from the return trip alone.....

First this would be ok as a starter bike...HOWEVER i know no one who would not twist the throttle.....Starting smaller is better. I am glad I did. The front wheel will come up if your not careful....Plus the acceleration is much faster.....The 250 accelerated to 100KM/h fast but then slowed...This thing shoots off and accelerates to "highspeed" with out the slow down...

Because of acceleration you need to re-learn to corner...the back wheel will break loose...With the ninja you could pretty much be on the throttle while still in the corner.....I can only imagine what a 600SS would be like....

Riding position is pretty good...Legs are a touch to far back which causes me to forget i have a back brake...But overall riding position is pretty much the same as my ninja...

Brakes are amazing and takes some getting used to.....grab a mitful and the wheels will stop turning almost immediately....The ninja you could be hamfisted

Seat 1000000000X's better....my ass and Shirley is no longer sore when i rife for more than an hour stretch

Mileage....no so good...But then I did not buy it as a economical ride...I bought it for looks...
Gas tank is deceptively small

Being Italian it is temperamental....rides fine in the rain but the other day did not want to start in the rain....Started fine today.....

cannot comment on the handling much yet as from Toronto it was all highway....And i am still getting to know it

And it looks amazing....

GS

ZBBYLW

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:31 pm

I am thinking of buying a new bike. Having trouble deciding whether to get something similar to a storm or a sports bike. I have been looking at a Gixxer, probably the 750 that is really fast  Smile.
Keep the shinny side up!

2H4

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 20):
I have been looking at a Gixxer, probably the 750 that is really fast

Check the insurance rates. Plastic side fairings = huge premiums. And a naked bike is just as fast in real-world riding conditions.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

lowrider

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 19):
Mileage....no so good

This will probably improve a little after break-in. Plus enthusiastic  wink  riding tends to hurt the mileage numbers. What sort of numbers have you been seeing so far?
Proud OOTSK member

greasespot
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 20):
I have been looking at a Gixxer, probably the 750 that is really fast

If it is your first bike and young you will prolly get killed on insurance......I know the cheap places such as state farm will not touch you if you have any tickets/claims unless your an existing customer. Seriously check your rates before you buy...My 250 was going to be 2500 a year...but then I have a perfect record and state farm picked me up for 345 a year.

Not sure what ICBC will charge but i have heard a few horror stories....but those are all third party so I do not know the truth or not...

Ummm pretty much every bike sold in Canada is fast enough to get you lots of tickets...Buying a bike because it is fast is kind of head scratching.....

And there are not many road tracks to race in in most areas in Canada

GS

vaporlock

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:49 am

well this year I sold it and just took delivery of a new Ducati 696 Monster......

And it looks amazing....

GS........NICE!!! Hopefully, you'll be able to get out this weekend on a road trip and enjoy it!!!

Vaps  bouncy 

andz

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:32 am

causes me to forget i have a back brake

Nothing wrong with that, I never use my back brake.

ZBBYLW

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 23):
If it is your first bike and young you will prolly get killed on insurance......

HAHA, its not exactly killing myself with "insurance" that I think is the problem here. It won't be my first bike, but they are really expensive to insure anyhow. That being said ICBC is pretty decent, luckly for me the tickets are not a factor in BC just accidents which I have none.

Its a nice bike, I have driven my buddies 750 and I like it very much, only I think I will be getting a 600 for myself... Definatly not more then 750 though. My step dad had a Hyabusa a few years back and JESUS!! Made the R1 look tame.
Keep the shinny side up!