Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kevin
Topic Author

China Counterfeit Rolls Royce

Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am

At a recent autoshow in Shanghai, Chinese automaker "Geely Ge" introduced a car that looks 99% like Rolls Royce. No need for words just watch. It is absolutely hillarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ZiTZUQZuY

The funniest part about the whole thing, is that when "Geely" representative was approached by the CNN reporter he keeps on saying that "this is our original design" without blinking an eye. I mean I am absolutely speechless about how confident that guy looks and speaks.

Jetsgo

RE: China Counterfeit Rolls Royce

Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 am

Wonder how safe it is?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

hercppmx

Tue May 05, 2009 4:55 am

They are just too similar, I think that rolls has something to be mad about, The bad part is the geely is just a horrible copy at best.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

Phoenix9

Tue May 05, 2009 5:02 am

Quoting HercPPMX (Reply 2):
The bad part is the geely is just a horrible copy at best.

Just like everything else that is copied there. I wonder if RR is going to take a legal action.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

hercppmx

Tue May 05, 2009 5:10 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 3):
I wonder if RR is going to take a legal action.

They should, since it was a "concept" if RR takes action you can bet the production model would be a lot different. I don't know if China would do anything about it, but I'm willing to bet the car wouldn't be exported since other countries have strict counterfeit laws. I could not see china hurting a domestic product
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

Flighty

Tue May 05, 2009 6:04 am

Quoting Kevin (Thread starter):
I mean I am absolutely speechless about how confident that guy looks and speaks.

He looked pretty nervous to me. There is still a cultural difference where, in China, buying counterfeit books, MS Windows, or whatever is considered perfectly normal and OK. They consider all intellectual property to be freeware, it is simply a convenient belief they choose to have.

In that light, a Rolls design belongs as much to the counterfeit maker as it does to the original inventor. We may choose to disagree with this, but it still is a coherent belief system.

CXB77L

Tue May 05, 2009 6:06 am

This sort of thing makes me angry too. Unfortunately the laws in China regarding counterfeits are nowhere near as stringent enough. Even if RR wanted to take action, I don't think they would be able to succeed.
Boeing 777 fanboy

wilco737

Tue May 05, 2009 6:24 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 6):
Even if RR wanted to take action, I don't think they would be able to succeed.

BMW was successful. Some china brand built a copy of the BMW X5 and it was not allowed to be sold in Europe. So somehow BWM succeded.

wilco737

Type-Rated

Tue May 05, 2009 7:07 am

Why is there only 1 seat in the rear passenger compartment?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

kevin
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2009 7:13 am

It looks as though they have already tried to copy Rolls Royce in the past but they never went ahead with the plan, I am not sure about the reason. Here is a picture of the previous monstrosity:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3182.html

L410Turbolet

Tue May 05, 2009 7:51 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 7):
BMW was successful. Some china brand built a copy of the BMW X5 and it was not allowed to be sold in Europe. So somehow BWM succeded.

On the other hand what was the story with the Chinese counterfeit "Smart"?
Didn't they bring it to straight to the lion's den - the Frankfurt car show couple years ago and despite Smart's/Daimler-Benz's efforts to prevent it being put on display, the GERMAN court said that it's ok, it's not a violation of intellectual property rights?

Flighty

Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 am

Quoting Kevin (Reply 9):
they have already tried to copy Rolls Royce in the past

That is a Hong Qi, an update of a classic Chinese limousine from the 1950s. Give them credit, there is actual Chinese lineage in that design.

diamond

Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 am

This topic was started 2+ weeks ago in the following thread:

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ums/non_aviation/read.main/2068748

Since that thread is now auto-archived, we'll leave this one open. But there are additional photos and comments worth reading in the old thread.
Blank.

LH526

Tue May 05, 2009 10:20 am

he funniest part about the whole thing, is that when "Geely" representative was approached by the CNN reporter he keeps on saying that "this is our original design" without blinking an eye. I mean I am absolutely speechless about how confident that guy looks and speaks.

And exactly THAT is the diference in chinese vs japanese manufacturing culture. in the 1960s when the first Japanese cars started to spread aroudn the world, nobody thought they would be any successful, yet the early Datsuns had mostly own engineering, with japanese style effort in details, pridness and tradition, those cars are now sought after collectibles. With China I see it's just quick money wanting to be made, blantantly copies, horrific crashtests and a culture that screams ignorance. The whole JApanese cutlure and design heritage is represented in their cars .. so is the chinese in chiense cars.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

cpd

Tue May 05, 2009 11:37 am

At a recent autoshow in Shanghai, Chinese automaker "Geely Ge" introduced a car that looks 99% like Rolls Royce. No need for words just watch. It is absolutely hillarious:

I think it looks nothing like the real deal. The proportions are way off - the look isn't correct.

When you see a real Exteneded Wheelbase Phantom - you don't mistake it.  Smile It has a simply awesome presence.

The Hongqi HQD Concept is far more sinister - that is a much closer looking copy - the shape is very close to the Phantom.

na

Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 am

Obviously China has, by a wide margin, the de"sigh"ners with the lowest talent in the world.

If it comes to steel ideas, the Chinese are the worst in the world, absolutely reckless. And unashamed they are, too. No surprise, everybody on this planet is aware of it. Its only that China is such a big market that the rest of the world doesnt unite in punishing them for this behavior more strongly.

This car is a very bad copy, though. Looks like a crossover of a RR and the (in)famous Trabbi from DDR times. Geely (wow, thats a name sounding as upperclass as McDonalds!) took the Phantom, and managed to make every single detail worse. Hilarious, that mascot figure, hilarious the whole car, hilarious, the cheap copy of the stars roof design of the RR Coupe. China, how low can you go?

That the press man calls it "our original design" proves that Geely should be renamed Fooly.

What idiot would buy such crap? Nobody in Europe would, apart maybe a film company. To use it as a Chinese gangster boss´s car and blow it up.
Would be a nice idea for the next James Bond movie: the opponent a chinese billionaire copying everything from Aston Martin to the Boeing 777, and looking like James Bond himself! And his Geely falls apart when crashing into a Smart!

L410Turbolet

Tue May 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 14):
The Hongqi HQD Concept is far more sinister - that is a much closer looking copy - the shape is very close to the Phantom.

They should be given credit for having the mercy and refraining from bastardizing the Spirit of Ecstasy.

Quoting NA (Reply 15):
the press man calls it "our original design" proves that Geely should be renamed Fooly

or perhaps Bejing Bob?

Phoenix9

Tue May 05, 2009 1:01 pm

This is not the first time and sadly it won't be the last!

Some of their other "own design" cars:

Big version: Width: 326 Height: 400 File size: 26kb
Big version: Width: 328 Height: 400 File size: 25kb
Big version: Width: 295 Height: 400 File size: 27kb
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Revelation

Tue May 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 17):
This is not the first time and sadly it won't be the last!

Some of their other "own design" cars:

The bastards!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

LH526

Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 15):
That the press man calls it "our original design" proves that Geely should be renamed Fooly.

Or in a row with that Iraqi guy claiming thta no USMC is in town.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Pyrex

Tue May 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 8):
Why is there only 1 seat in the rear passenger compartment?

It is called dictator-chic.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

LTU932

Tue May 05, 2009 9:06 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 7):
BMW was successful. Some china brand built a copy of the BMW X5 and it was not allowed to be sold in Europe

I guess it must be BYD Motors. They even copied the BMW logo.

Quoting NA (Reply 15):
What idiot would buy such crap? Nobody in Europe would, apart maybe a film company.

There are lots of Costa Ricans who bought such a car. Hell, even the Costa Rican police has gotten lots of these cars, most likely since President Oscar Arias has gotten very chummy with the regime on the Mainland (a freetrade agreement is in the works between the two) while discarting the Taiwanese as if they were just trash (Ironic, since Costa Rica was one of the few countries in the world that still recognised Taiwan as an independent state from the Mainland). My regular taxi driver and I agree that those cars from China are literally deathtraps (there are a few crash test videos from the ADAC that prove it).

As for us, regardless of whether in Germany or in Costa Rica, me and my father have zero tolerance towards those Chinese knockoff cars (if they can even be called cars).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208