Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mirrodie

RE: I Totalled My Car

Thu May 28, 2009 3:46 am

Doc, I'm real glad to hear that you only lost your car and only came away bruised if at all.

My first thought was how a pair of polarized sunglasses would have saved you all this drama.
Please invest in a pair. I wish all my patients took this simple step to protect themselves.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 26):
Actually, Polaroid sunglasses are great, just need a bit of shaking and waving (or stick them under your arm for a few minutes) to get them to work.....

No they don't. I think you are referring to photochromic lenses, which change in sunlight.

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 28):
Actually polarized lenses can make dashboard instrumentation hard to read. They also tend to "see through" water. Most guys (myself included) don't fly with em.

While that is partially true, lets face it, your eyes belong on the road not on distractions on the dashboard. But as has been said, most car gauges are not LCDs or digital outlays, so its a non-issue.

And respectfully speaking, we're not talking about flying here. But you are wrong about one thing.....polarization IS used in many cockpits, as window shades....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Fagerström

This is the BEST example of polarization at work in avaition. Just look at the view through that windshield and through the orangish polarized screen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vasco Garcia (VDG-Images)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nitin Sarin - AirTeamImages

Polarized sunglasses are THE MOST effective way to reduce glare. In aviation, its benefits ARE indeed realized but in a way that its not a sunglass so the digital outlays can been seen.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

hoons90

Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 am

Doc,

Very glad that you and your boyfriend are safe and sound!

Riding on good ol' MUNI in the meantime?
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

asuflyer05

Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 am

Glad to hear you are okay. If there is frame damage to that car, you need to fight your insurance company so they total it. Why? Call the dealer you are ordering your 2010 Prius (BTW jealous!) and ask what they would trade your rebuilt title Prius for. The depreciation hit is tremendous.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2009 4:49 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 51):

Got a rented car...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

RobertNL070

Thu May 28, 2009 7:06 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):

Polarized sunglasses from Polaroid  Yeah sure

Doc, what are your insurance premiums going to be like?  mischievous 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Superfly

Thu May 28, 2009 7:26 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 51):

Doctors need to be at the hospital on time.
Several of his patients could die if DocLightning relied on MUNI to get him to his job.
Bring back the Concorde

NoWorries

Thu May 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Glad to hear all is well.

I've owned various Toyotas for over 30 years (been in one accident) -- very well made.

Pellegrine

Thu May 28, 2009 12:30 pm

Hmm, sucks totalling a new car.

I almost totaled someone elses recently. The front right of their Mustang was smashed to bits and my 6000lb SUV had a little hole in the bumper. Truly was amazed. 1st accident but my premiums sucks anyway. Got to have some 'surance, got to have some 'surance!
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

AverageUser

Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
So I didn't see the red light because of the sun on the windshield and ran it. And got T-boned by another car at about 30 MPH.

But you did not see a green light either? Should the lights be down or invisible you don't drive 50 km/h into a crossing no way.

You'll be confined to the Emergency Department for the next month.

In this country is an automatic call to the police station if anyones's been hurt.

MCOflyer

Thu May 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Doc,

Glad to see you and your b/f survived. Do you have any pics of what happened or were you both taken to the hospital right away? Also, please consider getting a Jetta TDI. I did a research on gas stations that contain diesel for you:

http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/GasP...site=SanFran&srch=0&list=0&typ=qck

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 54):

Doc, what are your insurance premiums going to be like? mischievous

Dunno. I'm 31, a physician, and I have an otherwise clean driving record, so possibly not too much worse.

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 58):

But you did not see a green light either? Should the lights be down or invisible you don't drive 50 km/h into a crossing no way.

It's an intersection I don't usually go through, the other side is down a hill, and so I didn't see a signal at all. I figured they had a stop sign. There was also a green light ahead at the next light, which was only 100 or so feet further on up the road, so the situation is very visually confusing.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mirrodie

Thu May 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 54):
Polarized sunglasses from Polaroid

Not anymore. The patent ran out years ago. Any lab can produce a polarized lens.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

JAL

Thu May 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Glad you're no one was seriously hurt in the accident.
Work Hard But Play Harder

TylerDurden

Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
I'll get in touch with him later and offer to cover his out-of-pocket expenses once this blows over

A really dumb thing to do. Seriously, don't even think about it.
Trust me on this.

Oh, and have the boyfriend file on your PIP policy.

smcmac32msn

Thu May 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):

Good point.
Wear your sunglasses at night if you have to.

Superfly, you're the only one cool enough to do it at night and get away with it!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

LH459

Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 60):
There was also a green light ahead at the next light, which was only 100 or so feet further on up the road, so the situation is very visually confusing.

Unfortunately the Bay Area is full of intersections like this! I've nearly gotten into accidents as well, for exactly this reason! It is very visually confusing, and I wish our local traffic planners would realize it.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

EA CO AS

Thu May 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 23):
Quoting Dtw9 (Reply 21):

I'm sure his lawyer will be contacting you first.

I doubt that very much. I actually sort of know the guy through a few connections, it turns out. He'll be fine, my insurance will sort most stuff out with him and I'll sort out the rest.

First off, I'm glad to hear you and your boyfriend are okay!

Second - it's great to be the "nice guy" when it comes to things like this, but be careful - it can turn ugly REALLY quickly. I tried doing the nice guy thing with someone who hit me on the freeway and almost ended up getting sued for it.

My $0.02 worth - let the insurance company do their thing and leave it in their hands.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Superfly

Thu May 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 64):
Superfly, you're the only one cool enough to do it at night and get away with it!

Actually I was referencing a Cory Hart song.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 pm

Well the official verdict is: it's a W/O. At least $18K to fix and that's probably an underestimate.

I'm getting a new one.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

stasisLAX

Sat May 30, 2009 1:05 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 68):
Well the official verdict is: it's a W/O. At least $18K to fix and that's probably an underestimate.

I'm getting a new one.

Doc, check out the new Lexus HS250h - looks better, more power, and more features for only a little more money....

Source: http://www.lexus.com/fcv/HSHybrid.html

[Edited 2009-05-29 18:09:00]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Francoflier

Sat May 30, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm getting a new one.

Come on Doc, can't you see this is a sign from the Gods of Driving that you need a different car?  Wink

Good on you for trying to be environmentally friendly, but honestly, you can be just as gentle on the environment with other cars than this overpriced ugly smugmobile... Trust the wise advices from fellow members!

old 
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

UPS707

Sat May 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Am I the only one considering the fact that the Doc's want of a new Prius might be related to the fact that the car withstood a significant impact and seems to have sacrificed itself so that he and his passengers came out relatively unscathed? Granted there are many safe cars on the road, but to have personally experienced what would happen in an impact has a definite impact on your thoughts. When I had a similar experience in my wife's Tribute (although I was the one with the green light, and she hit me doing 50mph) we had the same thoughts..."Off to the Mazda dealer to get another one". Of course ours was newer (10 weeks old) so we fell on the flip side of that 75% issue..... $15k + 2 months rental isn't enough to total a $25k car  Sad

Of course the new 2010 Prius shoots a whole in my arguement since it is technically not the same car as he had, but the thought process could still be there.

Hywel

Sun May 31, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm sorry but I find the arrogance in this thread quite unbelievable.

A friend of mine was killed in a road accident last month, after a guy went through a red light and my friend drove straight into the side of him (no time at all to react and stop).

It was only 30 mph but that was enough to kill him.

Instead of gloating about how your insurance is paying out for a new car, you should be thanking the Lord that you didn't kill anyone. It could have been a lot worse.

That's all I have to say. Sorry if I offended anyone.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2009 4:33 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 69):

Doc, check out the new Lexus HS250h - looks better, more power, and more features for only a little more money....

My prius was $24K. I think they're asking about $40K for the Lexus. That's a bit more than "a little."
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DocLightning
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2009 4:36 pm

Quoting Hywel (Reply 72):

Instead of gloating about how your insurance is paying out for a new car, you should be thanking the Lord that you didn't kill anyone. It could have been a lot worse.

The pax airbags went off, protecting my boyfriend who was in the car with me. The frame held, even if it deformed a bit. We're alive

And we're alive and whole.

Drive safely, everyone.

Huh?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Phoenix9

Sun May 31, 2009 4:41 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 74):

Just a curiosity doc....what was the regular maintenance cost on your prius..i.e. oil change etc. I was just wondering if they are anything out of the ordinary.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

flybyguy

Sun May 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
One guy in a '90 Nissan Altima
. That car's toast. He's actually happy because my insurance company will probably give him more money than he would have gotten for selling the car. And he's a bit shook up, but fine.

I'll get in touch with him later and offer to cover his out-of-pocket expenses once this blows over.

Quoting Dtw9 (Reply 21):
I'm sure his lawyer will be contacting you first.

I wouldn't be too thrilled that everything is fine until the other guy endorses the insurance cheques. There's still time for him to find an ambulance chaser and complain about back and neck problems... making your insurance liable to pay his lost wages as compensation.

Dunno. I'm 31, a physician...

If the other guy lawyers up... that's icing on the cake. $$$$
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

AverageUser

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 am

So I didn't see the red light because of the sun on the windshield and ran it.

It's an intersection I don't usually go through, the other side is down a hill, and so I didn't see a signal at all. I figured they had a stop sign. There was also a green light ahead at the next light, which was only 100 or so feet further on up the road, so the situation is very visually confusing

My drive safely sensor detected various factors:

- unfamiliar neigbourhood,
- poor visibility in crossing,
- sunlight shining on the signals, especially on the red,
- assuming something that does not exist (well I've never seen a stop sign in a light-controlled crossing, but I'm from a different country)
- above all, too much speed for the situation.

And got T-boned by another car at about 30 MPH.

My lingustics says the party that goes through the red is the "active" one, so you wrecked someone's car, and were not "wrecked by"?

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 am

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 77):
- assuming something that does not exist (well I've never seen a stop sign in a light-controlled crossing, but I'm from a different country)

Here in Germany you'll find priority road-, stop- and give way signs also on light controlled intersections. They are there as a back-up in case of the traffic light failing.
The order of priority of obediance is like this:
1) A police officer on the intersection directing the traffic
2) The traffic light
3) The priority road-, stop- and give way signs at the intersection.

E.g. if, due to some reason (e.g. an accident) a cop stands on the intersection and directs the traffic, then you'll do what he wants you to do and ignore the traffic light, else you'll obey the traffic light. If the traffic light goes inop and there is no cop, you'll obey the traffic signs.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DocLightning
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:09 pm

My lingustics says the party that goes through the red is the "active" one, so you wrecked someone's car, and were not "wrecked by"?

Well, he hit me, but it was my fault because I was where I wasn't supposed to be. We can linguistics it any way we like, but I accept responsibility for it, which is the key point, I suppose.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

dallasnewark

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:00 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 79):
Well, he hit me, but it was my fault because I was where I wasn't supposed to be. We can linguistics it any way we like, but I accept responsibility for it, which is the key point, I suppose.

You shouldn't have said that to the other driver or especially to the officer creating a police report. This gives a greeen light for the other party to sue you since you already admitted the guilt
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

AverageUser

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 78):
1) A police officer on the intersection directing the traffic
2) The traffic light
3) The priority road-, stop- and give way signs at the intersection.

Yes, I should think what you said of the general priority is universal. However, for the stop-sign I'd understand it to mean to "stop always", so it would be overriding even the green light. Had we such a combination here, a major confusion I think would arise.

I welcome any pictorial evidence of such a combination where you live.

MD11Engineer

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 am

Since I now live in a very rural area, I'll be hard pressed to find ANY traffic light intersection in the closer region (within 10 km).
But in big cities, like Berlin or Cologne they are common.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

AverageUser

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:48 am

I found a picture of one, with the explanation, but experts seem to disagree on some related finer points.
http://www.fahrtipps.de/frage/ampel-stopschild-haltlinie.php

DocLightning
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 80):

You shouldn't have said that to the other driver or especially to the officer creating a police report. This gives a greeen light for the other party to sue you since you already admitted the guilt

I didn't. But I had to say that I didn't see the red light due to sun in my face and proceeded into the intersection. After all, it's kind of hard to deny that when you've been T-boned in an intersection and there are witnesses.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

PHLBOS

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 78):
Here in Germany you'll find priority road-, stop- and give way signs also on light controlled intersections. They are there as a back-up in case of the traffic light failing.

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 83):
I found a picture of one, with the explanation, but experts seem to disagree on some related finer points.

Very interesting. Nonetheless, in the States (and this is clearly stated in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (aka MUTCD) which is a USDOT publication) there are to be NO visable STOP signs erected at a properly functioning signalized intersection.

However, I have seen some signalized intersections that have folding STOP signs mounted (these signs are folded in half (concealing the STOP message) when the signals are on) but those are few and far between. Typically, if the signals are turned off or out due to a power failure or accident, temporary STOP signs mounted on barricades are placed.

Although in Pennsylvania, it is assumed that any intersection with a non-functioning signal becomes an automatic ALL-WAY STOP; temporary signs (for more long-term/frequent scenarios) are still erected because that may not necessarily be the case in other states. This is especially true for the Metropolitan Philadelphia area because neighboring New Jersey and Delaware are in close proximity.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

JeffSFO

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm getting a new one.

Mike,

Was walking by San Francisco Toyota at Geary & 2nd a few minutes ago and they were unloading a bunch of Prius' off the truck and I thought of your situation. How long is your wait for a new one?

-Jeff

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3599426198_ed51bb4f23_o.jpg

AirframeAS

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Before I really comment on this, I just have to ask....

I Totalled My Car

Who ended up with a ticket from the cops?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 87):

Who ended up with a ticket from the cops?

Nobody, actually.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AirframeAS

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 88):
Nobody, actually.

I'm surprised, because if you got a ticket, your insurance would default automatically and you wouldn't be getting a new car.

Be grateful that you ARE getting a new car.

asuflyer05

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:00 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 89):
I'm surprised, because if you got a ticket, your insurance would default automatically and you wouldn't be getting a new car.

Be grateful that you ARE getting a new car.

What? Source?

DocLightning
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:45 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 89):

They're finding me at fault, but the point of "no-fault" insurance is...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 90):
What? Source?

State Farm. And I have State Farm for a real good reason. My insurance says that if I were to be liable for an accident WITH a ticket earned from the cops, my insurance would cover for the damage to the other person's car but not mine, plus they would not help pay for a new car for me.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 91):
They're finding me at fault, but the point of "no-fault" insurance is...

You must have All State.