Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheSonntag
Topic Author

What To Do In Copenhagen?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 am

I am working in Copenhagen now for 3 months, and I already love the city after 2 days. What I would like to know is, what can you do in this town, especially, what are the good clubs to go out?

I live close to the new blue DR-box (koncerthuset) in Amager... Anything that I absolutely must visit?

us330

RE: What To Do In Copenhagen?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Can't help you out with the clubs unfortunately, but my brother and I were there this time last year and it was simply gorgeous--too bad we could only spend two days there.

blink182

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:02 pm

I can't speak for clubs and bars, but I recommend the Carlsberg Brewery Tour and aimlessly walking around the city center. Strøget,Radhuspladsen, and the surrounding vicinity will provide you with endless amounts of shopping and cafes should you ever get bored.
If you're willing to fork over some money, Tivoli Gardens is a fun experience.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

milan320

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Just walk walk walk ... I love the city. The Paris of Scandinvavia. Lose yourself in the city
I accept bribes ... :-)

BAViscount

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 3):
Just walk walk walk ... I love the city.

That's exactly what I did when I was there, I walked for miles and miles and could still have kept going!

Agree with everything mentioned above...Tivoli Gardens is fun in a jaded sort of way, reminds me of a funfair (amusement park) that we had where I grew up in Battersea, London.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 3):
Just walk walk walk ... I love the city. The Paris of Scandinvavia. Lose yourself in the city

Nope, I got a bike  Wink

JCKastrup

Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Welcome to Copenhagen and, even more, welcome to Amager.

There is a lot of things to see in Copenhagen. There is a lot of historic buildings from around 1500-1600 and a lot of culture and history. I'm sure you can find them all in a tourist guide.
But i can recommend Rundetårn, Kronborg, Amalienborg and a lot of nice churches for a start.

But as other people in this thread already mentioned: just walk around, and you will find something worth visiting or watching. For this i can recommend Islands Brygge and Christianshavn (with Christiania). Both quarters with old buildings and nice atmospheres.

As for clubbing. Almost all the places are located near rådhuspladsen and Kongens Nytorv. So you don't have to walk far if you want to go from one place to another. There is a nice mix of clubs, bars and pubs, so you can easily find what you like. Clubbing in Copenhagen is expensive but the city is filled with friendly and open-minded people - even towards germans.

And since you are here during the summer, you'll have to visit Amager Strandpark, which is a very nice beach, with nice clean water and a lot of danish girls in bikini (or topless). You'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks for that, until the weather gets a little better.

If you want to see something else than just Copenhagen i can recommend the City of Dragør on the Southcoast of Amager. It's a nice little city with old leaning houses and a nice harbor. On the way you can visit Flyvergrillen on Amager Landevej in Kastrup. The best place for spotting in copenhagen airport. (They make fine burgers as well)

enjoy your stay
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

CPH-R

Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 6):
You'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks for that, until the weather gets a little better.

Or just hope we get a repeat of last weekends weather  Wink

Regarding music, Roskilde Festival starts up on July 2nd (30 mins by train from Copenhagen, take the metro to Nørreport, the regional train to Roskilde and from there either walk, take a bus or take the train to the festival site). The schedule usually comes up in mid/late-june, so you can decide if you want to go all four days or just on sunday. Around the same time, Copenhagen Jazz Festival is also running with loads of free concerts around Copenhagen.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com also has a calendar you can flip though and see what events are running.