Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde

RE: 2009 F1 : British Grand Prix

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:46 am

Quoting Tsv (Reply 49):

Why not try to watch the race live on the internet. There are some channels that broadcast every GP not as ideal as TV but it works and at least you can see it right on time.

You can try here. They are full screen and not bad at all other than the fact that comments are in Spanish.

http://www.adtvextra.com/

You get your British GP live and on time.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

swissy

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 am

Quoting Tsv (Reply 44):
Don't get me started or I'll never stop. I've just watched most of the 70's races on DVD after shouting myself the Duke Entertainment (?) box set of the whole decade! Talk about memories! Favourite of all? Ronnie in the Lotus 72. Man could he drive.

You did already!!!  Smile ...... was exposed to F1 since I was born because my G-pa was involved for a long time with F1 because of Esso in the 50's & early 60's, he has/had all these fantastic pictures, stories & signatures..... my personal favorite decade is the 70's but "we" lost to many darn good drivers......completely different mentality & attitude back then.... today most of them they are in my opinion "over paid wieners........."  Wink

So to all of you guys out there HAPPY FATHERS DAY  champagne   checkeredflag   champagne  today is our dayyyy

Cheerios,

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Kimi and Massa are doing well. They had a good start.
Hammy has a light fuel load.
Let's see how this will go. Nakajima is 4th.

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Bourdais hit Kovalainen saw parts of the cars flying off, Bourdais had to pit and Kovalainen kept going. Looks like Bourdais has given up. He is done with this GP.

[Edited 2009-06-21 06:02:03]

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:29 pm

Vettel won. Well dieserved first place. I thought that Massa would make the podium. I was wrong. Honestly I thought this race was rather boring overall for such a fast race track.
Good on Red Bull for the win.
Hammy ended the race way back in the woods.

TSV
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Must say the TV coverage was a bit disappointing. Concentrating on freight trains down the pecking order is a bit silly although in their defence at the pointy end it was a bit of a procession.

If Vettel and Webber keep this form up I might have to rename the King of Fifth the King of Second.

Oh well switch over to the 20/20 Final. Oh no Pakistan are skittling Sri Lanka! They must have bet on themselves this time!
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

sudden

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Congrats to Vettel, and.....that basically covers it I guess.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

EZEIZA

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Congrats to Vettel! That's domination right there!
Apart from the non existent "fight" for first place, I have to say this race was a bit more exciting than most of what we've seen this season, especially with the 3rd to 6th place .... not much, but at least it kept me hooked.

And great race by Massa  Smile

btw, is it only me or did this race go way too fast? under 1hr 30min or so?
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 57):
is it only me or did this race go way too fast? under 1hr 30min or so?

It wasn't you. It was the pace and I thought it was quite fast.
I really thought Massa was going to do a podium.
His Brazilian mate went up there instead.
Hammy had a big fan club in the crowd that got him nowhere.

I will be sad if they leave Silverstone. I like this track.
3 weeks to Germany and the Nurbungring.

na

Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 54):
Honestly I thought this race was rather boring overall for such a fast race track.

I really didnt want to watch this race after that extremely boring Turkish GP, but then a thunderstorm spoiled my plans for today so I ended up in front of my TV screen again.

The British GP was quite boring, yes, though not quite as much as the last race. The only interesting action came from the group around Hamilton, and from the fight for 3rd place. The Red Bulls were dominators like the Brawns in recent races. Good for the championship that Button ended up far back today, that probably was the best news for at least for impartial F1 fans. If Vettel wins his home GP too, this season could become a little bit interesting at least.

photopilot

Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Quoting T1210s (Reply 19):
The FOTA teams have one big problem with a break away series there wont be many circuits they can race at

Former F1 venues including Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Jerez, Imola, Montreal, Indianapolis, Silverstone, Magny Cours and Adelaide were listed on the theoretical calendar, published by the German news agency SID. Current tracks were also mentioned: Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Suzuka, while potential new venues are Jerez, Portimao, the Lausitzring, Surfer's Paradise and even the Finnish capital Helsinki.

And IMHO, Bernie's worried as hell. He's quoted as saying....
"We organise the venues which don't cost the teams a penny," said Ecclestone. "I reckon Ferrari and McLaren need us more than we need them.
"All they have to do is pitch up at a track with their sponsors' names all over their cars in exchange for millions of quid and race in front of a worldwide television audience - which I have set up and keep going.
"The bottom line is they can't afford to set up a rival championship," he added.

Sounds like Bernie's whistling in the dark and hoping FOTA will go away. But as that won't happen, Bernie's trash talking.

I think the new FOTA series is the absolute best bloody thing to happen to the sport in the last few years. It's goodby Bernie and hello FOTA. I bet the advertisers are drooling at the prospect.

na

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 60):
I think the new FOTA series is the absolute best bloody thing to happen to the sport in the last few years. It's goodby Bernie and hello FOTA. I bet the advertisers are drooling at the prospect.

I think in the end F1 will stay, with Ferrari and the other FOTA teams.

Bernie and Mosley will give in, otherwise its their death. They have no choice. I doubt Mosley will survive this. If he does, it a bad joke. Unfortunately we have seen too many bad jokes in F1 already. Thank god he´s 69, nature will deliver the paycheck to him sooner or later anyway.

No one would watch Bernie´s F1 without the FOTA teams. How old is he now, 80? What does this Napoleon on wheels expect?
Go home Bernie, before you loose the rest of your reputation!

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 61):
What does this Napoleon on wheels expect?

Napoleon on wheels.  laughing   laughing   laughing 

Oh... I had a really good laugh!

I so much wish that he and Max would leave F1.  alert 

codeshare

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:15 pm

After the race, so what do we have?

Red Bull did a good job with the 'B' specs car. Button had an average drive, strange a bit, Rubens was bette this time. Ferraris are returning into form a little. Toyotas and Williams as usual. BMW? Need more work triple effort. Lewis couldn't get much out of the McLaren, and Kubica held him back well for a few laps. Same thing with Heidfeld and Alonso.

3 weeks break and more improvements to come, and maybe a solution to the FIA vs FOTA duel.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

LTU932

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 pm

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 60):
Former F1 venues including Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Jerez, Imola, Montreal, Indianapolis, Silverstone, Magny Cours and Adelaide were listed on the theoretical calendar, published by the German news agency SID. Current tracks were also mentioned: Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Suzuka, while potential new venues are Jerez, Portimao, the Lausitzring, Surfer's Paradise and even the Finnish capital Helsinki.

Here's the possible schedule according to the SID (along with GP names that are mostly designations we know from previous races):

07.March: Buenos Aires/Gran Premio de Argentina
21.March: Mexico City/Gran Premio de México
11.April: Jerez de la Frontera/Gran Premio de España
25.April: Portimão/Grande Prémio de Portugal
02.May: Imola/Gran Premio di San Marino
23.May: Monte Carlo/Grand Prix de Monaco
06.June: Montreal/Canadian Grand Prix/Grand Prix du Canada
13.Juni: Indianapolis/United States Grand Prix
11.July: Silverstone/British Grand Prix
25.Juli: Magny-Cours/Grand Prix de France
15.August: EuroSpeedway Lausitz/Großer Preis von Deutschland
29.August: Helsinki/Finnish Grand Prix
12.September: Monza/Gran Premio d'Italia
26.September: Abu Dhabi/Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
10.October: Singapore/Singapore Grand Prix
24.October: Suzuka/Japanese Grand Prix
07.November: Adelaide/Australian Grand Prix
Alternate race: Surfers Paradise/Australian Grand Prix (?)

Source: http://www.sport1.de/de/formel1/formel1_teams/artikel_120457.html (German only)

Personally, I would have dumped Abu Dhabi in favour of a South African GP in Kyalami, or a Dutch GP (either in Zandvoort or Assen). As for a GP in Finland, I don't know. They are more fanatic towards rallye races than formula racing, even with people like Mika Häkkinen and Keke Rosberg being the most successful Finnish racers in F1. Perhaps that could be changed with a different race, perhaps a new Austrian GP, at least once the Österreichring in Spielberg is finished.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

EZEIZA

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 64):
07.March: Buenos Aires/Gran Premio de Argentina
21.March: Mexico City/Gran Premio de México
11.April: Jerez de la Frontera/Gran Premio de España
25.April: Portimão/Grande Prémio de Portugal
02.May: Imola/Gran Premio di San Marino
23.May: Monte Carlo/Grand Prix de Monaco
06.June: Montreal/Canadian Grand Prix/Grand Prix du Canada
13.Juni: Indianapolis/United States Grand Prix
11.July: Silverstone/British Grand Prix
25.Juli: Magny-Cours/Grand Prix de France
15.August: EuroSpeedway Lausitz/Großer Preis von Deutschland
12.September: Monza/Gran Premio d'Italia
26.September: Abu Dhabi/Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
10.October: Singapore/Singapore Grand Prix
24.October: Suzuka/Japanese Grand Prix
07.November: Adelaide/Australian Grand Prix
Alternate race: Surfers Paradise/Australian Grand Prix (?)

now I definitely want this to happen!!! March 7th .... OMG!!! Big grin
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Kent350787

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:00 am

It's difficult to see Adelaide in there for Nov, given the Clipsal 500 kicks off the touring car season in March - closing down the city twice in a year seems unlikely (although it is Adelaide...  Smile ).

Surfers seems far more likely, seeing that they have only got crumbs for their race at that time of year after the Champcar debacle. Don't like the circuit though - boring, bumy, narrow street circuit!

kent
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

BlueElephant

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 am

Hello all I didn't get to watch the race, and didn't have a chance to read all the posts.

But I gotta say...I'm pretty convinced that Button maybe a great driver, but like Felipe Massa, he's great when he's in the front, else I think he's pretty average...

Hamilton, Eyebrow Man Alonso and Vettel seem to much more agressive and way more fun to watch. After reading the Qualifying results yesterday, I thought that if Button was really as strong a driver as everyone's giving him credit for, he'd have pushed ahead at least a bit...hell even Hamilton apparently was fighting from 19th.

It's times like these when I wish we had Alonso, Hamilton, Masa, Kimi out front, it would (for some reason) be much more exciting.

P.S. Just watched Top Gear...anyone see the Interview with 'The Stig'...I thought it was hilarious.

zak

RE: Valkyrie & Claus Von Stauffenberg.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:32 am

you guys should watch more motogp, there is actually some fighting for the 1st place there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkswz0SW8Y&feature=related

a.net thread MotoGP Catalunya (by Waterpolodan Jun 14 2009 in Non Aviation)
10=2

TSV
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:34 am

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 66):
closing down the city twice in a year seems unlikely (although it is Adelaide... ).

I would have though Adelaide is always closed down and only opens for Motor Racing.

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 66):
Surfers seems far more likely, seeing that they have only got crumbs for their race at that time of year after the Champcar debacle.

The Queensland Government would have to break the contract with A1GP which may not be hard legally as a FOTA race would be higher profile however it may be politically damaging to Anna "The Liar" Bligh and her Toe Rag Treasurer if huge penalty costs are involved given how stuffed the State's finances are. Then again they could just reschedule the A1GP to the new Townsville Street Circuit (thus keeping it in the State and using it twice in it's first year further amortising it's construction cost) and have the FOTA race at Surfers. Now there's a thought!
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

bill142

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 am

Quoting Tsv (Reply 69):

Maybe that planned upgrade of Eastern Creek in Sydney will get the go ahead and will attract Formula One.

A number of circuits on that list would probably have to break contracts with FOM in order to hold FOTA races. One would think that there's some kind of clause in their agreement with FOM which prevents a race being held by a rival championship.

andaman

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:19 pm

As for a GP in finland, I don't know. They are more fanatic towards rallye races than formula racing, even with people like Mika Häkkinen and Keke Rosberg being the most successful Finnish racers in F1.

According to the Finnish news the timetable has come as a surprise for Finnish organizers...
But, it would be a big success for sure, all motor sports are hugely popular in Finland not only WRC (rally).
F1 gets more attention than WRC in Finland at the moment, there are 2 and half (Räikkönen, Kovalainen and Nico Rosberg, the son of Keke) competing in F1.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

sudden

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm

The Stig revealed on Top Gear, and it's Schumi. Big grin
This explains a few things as Schumi was the Stig at Silverstone yesterday (One would assume), and was driving a winner of a constest around in a 2 seater F1 car. Most of you might have seen him on TV before the race started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuW7pdupwRQ&feature=related
Bad sound at one point, but it becomes better again.

So they have several Stig's now I guess.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

BlueElephant

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:36 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 72):
The Stig revealed on Top Gear, and it's Schumi.

Schumi was only on so he could drive his FXX around the Top Gear track. It's not even a road legal car I think.