Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Some People Shouldnt Be Allowed To Go On Holidays!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:41 pm

These are real complaints received into a major UK Tour Operator from clients when they got back from holiday.

This was sent from Thomas Cook Holidays - listing some of the guests'
> > complaints during the season.
> >
> >
> > "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store
> > does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."
> >
> > "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I
> > often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time - this should be
> > banned."
> >
> > "On my holiday to Goa in India , I was disgusted to find that almost
> > every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food at all."
> >
> > "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to
> > bring our swimming costumes and towels."
> >
> > A tourist at a top African game lodge overlooking a waterhole, who
> > spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this
> > rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".
> >
> > A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she'd been
> > locked in by staff when , in fact, she had mistaken the "do not
> > disturb" sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the
> > room.
> >
> > "The beach was too sandy."
> >
> > "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your
> > brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white."
> >
> > A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick
> > and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.
> >
> > "Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was
> > ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women."
> >
> > "We bought 'Ray-Ban' sunglasses for five Euros (£3.50) from a street
> > trader, only to find out they were fake ."
> >
> > "No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were
> > startled."
> >
> > "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only
> > took the Americans three hours to get home."
> >
> > "I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends'
> > three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller."
> >
> > "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation'. We're
> > trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying here?"
> >
> > "There are too many Spanish people. The reception ist speaks Spanish.
> > The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners."
> >
> > "We had to queue outside with no air conditioning."
> >
> > "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly
> > guests before we travel."
> >
> > "I was bitten by a mosquito - no-one said they could bite."
> >
> > "My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a
> > double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I
> > find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us
> > in the room that we booked."

---------------

God help society !! But I rolled will laughter ....

sunshine79

RE: Some People Shouldnt Be Allowed To Go On Holid

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 pm

This list used to go round all the time in resorts. When I was repping I had a gentleman come up to me and say that he booked a three bedroomed room. I explained that in hotels, the description actually said it was a three-bedded room, not a three bedroom apartment. Obviously he wasn't happy that he and his wife had to share the room with their teenage daughter all holiday. You do get some stupid tommy tourists. If you search for Tommy Tourist on Facebook, there is a whole heap of dumb things customers say to us. One of the most annoying things to say to a rep is 'What have you done with the sun'. Like its our fault it's pissing down with rain or the clouds have covered up the sun.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

levent

RE: Some People Shouldnt Be Allowed To Go On Holidays!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks for sharing, very funny! These are my favourites:

"Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was
ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women."

and

"It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only
took the Americans three hours to get home."

pawsleykat

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
took the Americans three hours to get home."

That's the best one right there. Anyone that thick should have their passport removed from them and torn up and never allowed another one. Even my four year old cousin knows that
America is closer to the Caribbean than the UK.

I rofl'd so hard at some of those other ones, especially the mosquito one  rotfl 

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

sunshine79

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 3):
Anyone that thick should have their passport removed from them and torn up and never allowed another one.

We used to say that about 90% of the billies. We used to have a little competition between us as to where the customer was going to say where they were staying. We were usually right. We used to think at check-in there was a box to put your brain and collect it on return with your suitcases. Honestly, some of them were that thick, they would have to think for a second what their name was, no joking.

pawsleykat

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 4):

It's actually really really scary that people are that thick. It pains me to even imagine it.   

That's where I'd have trouble not saying to people "seriously, are you that *insert expletive here* stupid?"

I have serious trouble when flying airlines like FR and U2 because some of the passengers have no clue whatsoever as to what they're doing.
For example on return from Dublin in May, I overhead a woman saying to her husband and children "That Number there, 150 on your boarding card. Yeah, that's what seat you're in"

I had to bite my tongue not to say "Actually, Ryanair don't allocate seats ma'am, that there, you'll find, is the Sequence number, you were 150th to check in"

JG  

[Edited 2009-06-17 06:44:06]
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

EI320

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was

Haha, very good Big grin. I wonder did she discipline him..

"I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends'
> > three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller."

That brings "stating the obvious" to a whole new level  Smile

Danfearn77

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm

They are all brilliant but this one tickled me the most:

> > A tourist at a top African game lodge overlooking a waterhole, who
> > spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this
> > rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".

haha.

Some people are thick though. I was sat with my cousin in the garden a while back and her Boyfriend called her, who was in Ibiza at the time. We explained we were sun bathing and he said 'oh so am i. Michelle, does that mean we are both sat under the same sun!'

I cried for hours in laughter afterwards! This came only a few weeks after he asked me if i would like to go camping because he has a camp! (rather than a tent!!)
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

TUNisia

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Laughed myself silly reading this! Thanks  Smile

It reminded me of this newsletter put out in Rhodes Greece while i was there on holiday a few years ago. It had page after page of stuff about foolish English tourists (a lot of dirty stuff too). Wish I could find it now!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

steeler83

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:06 pm

You know what,

I remember a time when I was still a housekeeper at the Eden Resort Inn and Suites in Lancaster, PA, and I had cleaned a room after an Orthodox Jewish family checked out. They gave the whole hotel a bad report. Guess why...

There were NO KOSHER STORES!!!

It's LANCASTER PA! DUTCH COUNTRY!!! What are you going to say next, that there was no Synagogue within range?

This person's remark made me think of that:

> > "On my holiday to Goa in India , I was disgusted to find that almost

I know, it's an outrage. Why can't they serve spaghetti and meatballs like all the other authentic Indian places...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

eicvd

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Now I thought I was a bit stupid now & again but after reading this I feel like a genius!
COYBIB

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Quoting EICVD (Reply 10):
Now I thought I was a bit stupid

Well I didnt like to say Mark but as you did LOL....  duck  ... only joking !!

vhqpa

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:00 pm

This reminds me of an exercise given back in school a few ears ago. We had a list of question's that travel agent's were aledgedly asked and we had to explain how we would resolve the questions.

Here was the Questions

Quote:

The Following are actual stories provided by US travel agents:

I had someone ask for an aisle seat (on a plane) so that their hair wouldn't get messed up by being near the window.

A client called in inquiring about a package to Hawaii. After going over the cost info, she asked, "Would it be cheaper to fly to California
and then take the train to Hawaii?"

I got a call from a woman who wanted to go to Capetown. I started to explain the length of the flight and the passport information when she interrupted me with "I'm not trying to make you look stupid, but Capetown is in Massachusetts. Without trying to make her look like the stupid one, I calmly explained, "Capecod is in Massachusetts, Capetown is in Africa." Her responce:. click.

A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me. I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state."

I got a call from a man who asked. "Is it possible to see England from Canada?" I said, "No." He said "But they look so close on the map."

Another man called and asked if he could rent a car in Dallas. When I pulled up the reservation, I noticed he had a 1-hour lay-over in Dallas. When I asked him why he wanted to rent a car, he said "I heard Dallas was a big airport, and I need a car to drive between the gates to save time."

A nice lady just called. She needed to know how it was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:20am and got into Chicago at 8:33am. I tried to explain that Michigan was an hour ahead og Ilinois, but she could not understand the concept of time zones. Finally I told her the plane went very fast, and she bought that!

A woman called and asked, "Do airlines put your phyiscal description on your bag so they know who's luggage belongs to who?" I said, "No, why do you ask?" she replied, "Well, when I checked in with the airline, they put a tag on my luggage that said FAT, and I'm overweight, is there any connection?" After putting her on hold for a while I "looked into it" (I was actully laughing) I came back and explained the city code for Fresno is FAT, and that the airline was just putting a destination tag on her luggage.

I just got off the phone with a man who asked, "How do I know which plane to get on?" I asked him him what exactly he meant, which he replied, "I was told my flight number
is 823, but none of these darn planes have numbers on them."

A woman called and said, "I need to fly to Pepsi-cola on one of those computer planes." I asked if she meant to fly to Pensacola on a commuter plane. She said, "Yeah, whatever."

A business man called and had a question about the documents he needed in order to fly to China. After a lengthy discussion about passports, I reminded him he needed a visa "Oh no I don't, I've been to china many times and never had to have one of those." I double checked and sure enough, his stay required a visa. When I told him this he said, "Look, I've been to China four times and every time they have accepted my American Express."

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 am

Quoting Vhqpa (Reply 12):
This reminds me of an exercise given back in school a few ears ago

LOL.. funny . Its amazing what people think and say .

bananaboy

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 am

They are funny.

I did a season as a holiday rep and it really was an eye-opening experience as to how vacant some people are whilst on holiday.

One man approached me, obviously burned from too much sun and proceeded to shout about how he had been sick because the hotel had poisoned him. Only when I suggested that he may have had too much sun did he quieten down.

Another woman told me that her air conditioning was broken - all it was doing was blowing out hot air. I told her that she didn't have air conditioning - that was a fan heater.

Another woman asked me when the Wednesday market was. I just looked at her.

A couple approached me and asked where the swimming pool was. I told them there wasn't one. They'd booked the wrong hotel.

A man approached me to say that he couldn't stay in his hotel as he was scared of water. He had booked a hotel on an island.  sarcastic 

Those, along with near-fights breaking out on coaches, people throwing up on transfers, attempted suicides, deaths, people crying because it rained and so on all convinced me that I was not cut out for the job long term! All of this was in relatively civilised Croatia.. I would dread to imagine what staff see in Ibiza or Corfu.

Still, happy days...

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

sunshine79

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 am

On an arrival transfer, we were just leaving the airport and I was making sure those in the risk seats had their seatbelts fastened. The guy in the seats directly behind the driver didn't have his fastened as it wasn't working. I advised him he would have to move to a seat where the belt would fasten. He started shouting his mouth off, saying he used to be in some war. I kindly advised him that being in a war wouldn't stop him going head first through the windscreen before the driver would if we were in a crash. He soon shut up and moved after that.

LASoctoberB6

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 am

He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.

That tickles me so much, like you don't even know.. ha
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

speedygonzales

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:32 am

My favorite from a list in the local newspaper a few years ago is two american ladies that was very disappointed when they learned that the midnight sun was just the regular sun visible at midnight.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 am

I remember a guy asking if Andorra had been there long LOL...

bananaboy

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Oh, I forgot this one..

I was with some guests at the amphitheatre in Pula, when one of them commented that it would be so much nicer when it was finished and the roof had been put on. They were being serious.  sarcastic 

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

sunshine79

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 19):
Oh, I forgot this one..

I was with some guests at the amphitheatre in Pula, when one of them commented that it would be so much nicer when it was finished and the roof had been put on. They were being serious.   

Bloody hell, I just rolled my eyes when I read this one. I would have thought you're average Croatia holidaymaker might have been slightly educated or cultured, and not your normal holidaymaker that goes to the likes of the Costas in Spain.

andaman

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Local paper once published the best questions asked at the Helsinki Tourist Information, number one had come from a tourist lady, a cruise guest: Is Lapland open today?
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

JasYHZ

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:48 am

Car rentals are no better:

"Do you have anything with different seats? The upholstery on the seats in the one you
gave me itches my legs when I wear shorts."

"You know when you start the car and the chimes go off to remind you to put on your seatbelt? I find them very loud and uncomfortable. Do you have anything that chimes at a different octave?"

"The car looks like it's angry - can I have something else?"

"Why don't your speedometers read in miles an hour? I'm from the US!" ..."yes sir, but you are renting in Canada".

"You gave me a car without cruise control and I got a speeding ticket. YOU need to pay it for me!"

It never ceases to amaze me after 10 years......
JasYHZ
"That's it! You just made the list!"

ltbewr

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:26 am

More that shouldn't go on vacation/holiday:

Those people who drink to excess on holidays/vacations, making fools of themselves, putting themselves or others at danger and making look bad the country they come from.
Those that seem to have no idea of modest dress when plan on visiting churches or other religious related facilites.
People who brag that their home country is much better.
Those that overbargin in poor countries, ripping off the makers/sellers, especally of hand made items.
Those that do vandilsm, dump trash anywhere but a trash can, steal from historical/natural preserved sites, tresspass onto protected areas, those that go into unsafe areas Iike off walkways or into fenced off areas near cliffs, near hot springs, etc.
Those that drive too fast or slow, carelessly or looking at the scenery instead of the road.
Those that will talk VERY LOUD in their native language (this especially for USA English speakers) believing that it will make them understood.
Those who don't tip in countries where it is the custom or not included in the bill (like the USA).
For some that they can go to another country or part of a country involving hours or days of travel to get their instead of 'minutes'.
People who are racists.
People who try to do too much in one day, getting excessively tired, not enjoying themselves.
People who try to use some 'pull' to get a car rental upgrade (from a sub-compact to a large family or luxery vehicle) or a motel/hotel upgrade and make a scene if they don't get their way.

extspotter

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Lol, its like the time we stayed in a really nice hotel in PUJ - At breakfast one morning there was an American family. After they sat down they complained that everything tasted "foreign" and then the father talking to his 5 or 6 year old son picked up a date from the bowl in the centre of the table and then said - "Do you know what this is." - "No daddy" - "Its a raisin". Needless to say I lolled my face off in the other direction. I know for sure its not specific to people from a certain country. As a spanish speaker, going to Spain as an english person, even in very untouristy (I know its not a word.) areas, people assume you are going to set fire to their homes. The antics of so many Brits as pissed as farts and behaving like utter (enter explietive here) makes me feel completely embarrased.

I definately believe some people should be shackled to the ground for their own good and for that of others.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

NoUFO

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am

On bus 100 in Berlin I overheard a lady (aged 20 or so) saying:

"Oh look, ... the spire of the church came down ... I wonder when they are going to replace it ..."

It was this church:

(by Wikimedia Commons)

Ok, perhaps she wasn't thick as a brick, but she was clearly uninformed.
I support the right to arm bears

oly720man

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 24):
The antics of so many Brits as pissed as farts and behaving like utter (enter explietive here) makes me feel completely embarrased.

I once got chatting to a couple of Maltese women in Amsterdam for a clothing trade show and they were surprised that someone from England could go abroad and not get drunk/loud/obnoxious. Made me worried to think what happens in Malta and is it as bad as Cyprus and the Costas.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 25):
Ok, perhaps she wasn't thick as a brick, but she was clearly uninformed.

The same sort of person goes to Windsor Castle and bemoans the fact they built it so close to Heathrow.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Elite

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 22):
"The car looks like it's angry - can I have something else?"

rotfl  This one just had me going like, WHAT?

fraspotter

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Quoting Vhqpa (Reply 12):

Haha, I've seen those same stories in chain emails that my family and friends send me. Though they never get old... Big grin How do people even make it into adulthood being this stupid?!? If they can't understand such simple things that are on the verge of common sense, how do they do relatively complicated things like get a job and pay taxes?
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

RayChuang

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:26 am

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 14):
A man approached me to say that he couldn't stay in his hotel as he was scared of water. He had booked a hotel on an island.  sarcastic 

That was truly the levity of the day for me.  laughing  And you wonder why British holidaymakers have deserved their stereotype at times.

photopilot

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:00 am

When I was going to University in the UK, a guy asked me (from Montreal at the time) if he could hop on the "Tube" (Subway, Metro) from Montreal to Vancouver. He wanted to hop over to his friends for afternoon tea before dinner!

Absolutely no bloody conception that the two Canadian cities are 3700 km apart.

As my professor said.... "As long as the world has stupid people, the rest of us will have jobs."

iairallie

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:15 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 26):
The same sort of person goes to Windsor Castle and bemoans the fact they built it so close to Heathrow.

Who would do that? I don't believe someone would actually say that because why would they care if Windsor castle was near the airport?
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

WildcatYXU

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:21 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 30):
When I was going to University in the UK, a guy asked me (from Montreal at the time) if he could hop on the "Tube" (Subway, Metro) from Montreal to Vancouver. He wanted to hop over to his friends for afternoon tea before dinner!

Absolutely no bloody conception that the two Canadian cities are 3700 km apart.

I'm getting a similar question too from many of my friends from the old country. They keep asking me if I go often to the Rockies and are shocked when I say "no, only twice a year on business". They just don't realize that to get to the Rockies I have to fly 4 hours...and of course they can't understand that our friends from Toronto would drive 200 km's one way just to have a couple of drinks with us... However, I don't perceive that as a sign of stupidity. They just don't realize that Canada is the second largest country of the world and therefore we perceive the distances a bit differently.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

UK_Dispatcher

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:42 am

I'm sure many of those are fake, but still funny.

One which I was told when I worked for my first airline was of a family that turned up at East Midlands Airport for a charter flight to Spain. They had the usual checked baggage plus a TV. When asked why he wanted to check a TV in, the father responded "Because I'm not watching any of that Spanish shite".

babybus

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:11 am

Some People Shouldnt Be Allowed To Go On Holidays!

I agree. I was a holiday rep in Spain for a season. Thankfully, time has eroded the memories of it and all the stupid things I had to put up with and hear.

To be honest, I wonder sometimes why anyone ever goes away on holiday. For some it can be a source of irritation and anguish.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

GrahamHill

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 am

On my holiday to Goa in India , I was disgusted to find that almost

Ha ha ha, you picked up the wrong country, mate!

Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was

Big grin  laughing 

No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were
> > startled."

eyepopping  this one is too big to be true!

God help society

Sometimes I wonder where these people are coming from. Do they live in caves?
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

airtrainer

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:20 pm

This is a fantastic thread, thanks a lot for sharing, it really made my day
 rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

> > took the Americans three hours to get home."

Maybe one of the best !

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 22):
"You know when you start the car and the chimes go off to remind you to put on your seatbelt? I find them very loud and uncomfortable. Do you have anything that chimes at a different octave?"

This one reminds me of a story that happened to my cousin last month. He's living in a narrow street, one day he had new neighbours coming with a brand new BMW X5. After seeing the lady parking her car almost on the middle of the street for a few days he politely asked why she didn't park her car closer to the house, and the lady answered "I can't, I always hear beep beep beep..."
Life is short : eat dessert first !

WA707atMSP

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Even employees of aircraft manufacturers make mistakes like this.

Airways Magazine had an article several years ago about Eastern Airlines' lease of four A300s in 1977. The aircraft were used on flights from the New York City area to Florida.

Eastern was the first airline in North America to fly any Airbus aircraft. EWR was the station responsible for line maintenance of the aircraft, and Airbus sent over some employees to help Eastern's mechanics maintain the aircraft. These employees had never been to the USA, and were puzzled why Eastern overnighted two of the aircraft at EWR, and the other two in Florida. They weren't able to comprehend that Florida is 1,500 km from EWR, so it made more sense to park two aircraft overnight in Florida, so they would be ready for early morning departures, than it would to fly them back to EWR in the middle of the night.

Only after one of Airbus' employees drove to northern New York state to go skiing, and explained it was possible to drive six hours without leaving one US State, did Airbus' employees begin to grasp how large the US is relative to western Europe.