Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84

RE: N. Korea May Launch Missile At Hawaii On July 4th

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:25 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 99):
None of that was their (or any politician's) fault.

Then if that's the case, why are you on the bandwagon critisizing Obama for his policies? Truth is, Charles, it was very much their fault-at least a good portion of it. You can't have it both ways, my friend.
Work Right, Fly Hard

BMI727

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 100):
Then if that's the case, why are you on the bandwagon critisizing Obama for his policies? Truth is, Charles, it was very much their fault-at least a good portion of it. You can't have it both ways, my friend.

What policies? I never said that it was Bush's fault or Obama's fault that the economy tanked. It is a natural part of the business cycle and it follows every boom. For that matter, I don't recall anyone singing Bush's praises when the economy was growing. Or during Clinton's presidency during the 90s when new millionaires were being minted every day. Why should we blame them when the wheels come off? Or clamor for them to grab their toolbox and fix the thing yesterday?

Just because I don't think it is the government's responsibility to keep American companies from failing, doesn't mean I am an Obama hater. Quite frankly, it isn't Obama's (or any other President's) responsibility to make sure that I have a job, I have health insurance, or that I can buy cheap gas.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

usairways787

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 am

Personally,

I could care less if I were to get flamed, everyone has formed their opinion so here is mine. I am calling North Korea's bluff. They have always been talk, and always will be. I say this only because to me 1. Their size v.s. us is astoundingly small 2. Their technology military wise is far behind ours. 3. They lack true leadership, and morales military wise. CNN and all other news agencies hype it up to get a story out of it, why do you think NK has decided to keep talking? to scare us into believing they are more of a threat then they really are, and pick up more headlines worldwide. Now don't get me wrong, they are a threat, but later on down the road when their missles can actually truly reach us. The only way their missles can truly reach us is if they are either A. launched from aircraft which would of course would be shot down. Or B. from ships which are of course being tracked. They have already released the range from their tests and it's only about 4K miles, and Hawaii is out of that range. If North Korea were really stupid enough to launch at us with our very troops and ships right next door, this whole world knows North Korea will soon be a new found land. Russia and China won't sit back and let it happen. Do you think they would really allow this to happen, and let the North Korean's launch a missle that is well within their countries range and not feel threatend? I sure as hell would be threatened if I saw a country with Nuclear, biological, and Chemical war capaibilities taking shots at the U.S. But another thing comes to mind. North Korea is testing us, we have a new president, which I won't go there, and they wan't to see just how far they can go. Action to defend Hawaii, and this very country is being taken. But keep in mind, our country is getting thin on military power. (source)

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=5564

800 in Africa,
97,000 in Asia (excluding the Middle East and Central Asia),
40,258 in South Korea,
40,045 in Japan,
491 at the Diego Garcia Base in the Indian Ocean,
100 in the Philippines, 196 in Singapore,
113 in Thailand,
200 in Australia,
and 16,601 Afloat.

In Europe, there are 116,000 US military personnel including 75,603 who are stationed in Germany.

In Central Asia about 1,000 are stationed at the Ganci (Manas) Air Base in Kyrgyzstan and 38 are located at Kritsanisi, in Georgia, with a mission to train Georgian soldiers.

In the Middle East (excludng the Iraq war theater) there are 6,000 US military personnel, 3,432 of whom are in Qatar and 1,496 in Bahrain.

In the Western Hemisphere, excluding the U.S. and US territories, there are 700 military personnel in Guantanamo, 413 in Honduras and 147 in Canada.

To be able to shift all of those troops to be able and keep our country safely stable to battle all of Iraq, Afganistan, (possibly) Iran, and if if they did launch North Korea, would literally take months. WW3 is on the verdge ladies gentlemen, please take your seats and fasten your seatbelts.

USAirways787

mandala499

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:50 am

Hmm... will Kim the Ill give the US a 4000NM rocket trip for his own demise? Knowing that the world may be on his little state within days if not weeks?

The answer is unfortunately... YES.

This is a guy who'd assasinate his family for defecting!

He's under pressure, he has a problem picking his successor... if he choses any of this illegitimate sons, he'll set a dynasty which is against the stalinist principles he adhere to. Dear Leader has a dear problem...

Smuggled electronics from China has meant that people can use smuggled mobile phones near the border dishing out the latest gossip on the regime to journalists and intelligence agencies... of course, using prepaid cards paid for by the "sponsors"... These phones would be buried in people's gardens or secret locations, retrieved only for charging and use... since the NK regime has searched people's houses before... (although that was to see who has been playing the latest editions of smuggled South Korean soap operas). Whilst in Pyongyang, we see people worshipping Dear Leader, outside the city its a different story... and I think 1/2 of the people worshipping the leader would spit at the leader if it wasn't for the totalitarian controls.

No this nutjob won't send a standard nuke to Hawaii... he has a limited menu to choose from from his 4th (well 5th) July Banquet... one is biological weapons... another is chemical weapons, the last one is what worries people... a dirty nuke... ie: it's not a nuke that'll blow up but one that'll have radioactive contaminants spreadout by a conventional explosion (like ChemWarfare stuff).

For him, whether it lands in downtown HNL, or flops 2 miles short of Midway, he doesn't care... if he gets noticed, he got what he wanted... that is, the little commy brat taunting a fight...

He's alleged to have sponsored terrorism, international crime and all sorts of smuggling, even running a US Dollar Bill counterfeiting ring, or run insurance fraud, insurance investment scheme frauds, you name it... to finance his regime... whether to develop weapons, or to import crates of hennessy.

Whatever happens, he's a nutjob...

If he sends those missiles on 4th July (US time), Pyongyang could be subjected to an attack before the end of the 5th local time... by which, the world would know how many NK spies are around the world because by the 6th they'd all defect... If you want to see NK spies, just go to one of the Korean restaurants near the stock exchange in Jakarta. A bunch of men in "timeless clothing" taking 6hr lunches because they got nothing to do while waiting for Dear Leader to send an order.

So, what will the world do?
A nuke retaliation by anyone is unlikely. The media blackout in NK is very effective by Dear Leader, so "precision" military strikes on numerous targets is likely, and the powerplants would be few to choose from (making it easier, albeit probably "heavily" defended).... The US would not suffer much on the PR front on the "missed targetting" front, as the media blackout would make it hidden for a while...

Action would not happen at the DMZ... an amhibious assault following overwhelming airstrikes is likely. Spearheading through the DMZ would put Seoul at risk and lots of soldier casualties given the numerous (albeit primitve) defences around.

On the minimum scale, retaliation would be to hit the symbols of the regime, such as the Juche tower...  Smile

The mega radio transmitter used for proganda, those loudspeaker stations... and perhaps South Korea would sacrifice its investments in the special (and minute) economic zone(s)... Perhaps given the economic situation, such a missile sillylaunch by the dear leader would provide an excuse for SK's military to make a move through the DMZ... and let the Americans go on an amphibious assault...

Pyongyang would be taken in days... the country? Well, they'd capitulate by winter... they need food and money!

OK, just my crazy thoughts... perhaps I'm also another nutjob!

Smile
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

lnglive1011yyz

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 48):
There's no way NK are going to launch a missile at Hawaii.

That is exactly the same belief the US had during both WWII (pearl harbor) and 9/11, and look where that got them.

Unfortunately, threats like this, regardless of whether they're rhetoric or not, need to be met with the utmost attention and focus and the utmost control of mindset on the US side.

Does anyone know what the US' policy is on nuclear retaliation? Do they have a 'get struck first" or "be fired at first" mentality still?

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:33 pm

And North Korea continues to up the ante:

Quote:
NKorea threatens US; world anticipates missile

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea threatened Wednesday to wipe the United States off the map as Washington and its allies watched for signs the regime will launch a series of missiles in the coming days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090624/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_nuclear_91
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

QANTAS077

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 105):
And North Korea continues to up the ante:

North Korea couldn't wipe North Korea off the map, let alone the USA...when Kim starts this nonsense its because he wants something, that something is direct talks with the USA.

Danfearn77

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 106):
North Korea couldn't wipe North Korea off the map, let alone the USA...when Kim starts this nonsense its because he wants something, that something is direct talks with the USA.

Exactly. He is in shit. He knows he is in deep shit and he knows Obama will go for the democratic way first, by means of sitting down and talking. But he is not man enough to come out and just say 'lets talk' as he sees that as a way of making him look weak. So this is his way of saying it.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

Danfearn77

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 97):

Brilliant post Ken. I have to agree with everything you have said.

Just because Kim is blabbing a load of crap, thats not justification for starting a war. Obama is clever and he knows NK want talks. If they didnt they would have done something more serious by now. And before you say setting off a nuclear device is serious, by more serious i mean sending something over the border or in the direction of the US.

In the Bush era, he would have heard Kim talking like this and that would have been it. He'd have been like a bull in a china shop which would have incensed NK even more. By holding off, what Obama is showing to NK is that he is not going to get provoked by threats, showing he generally wants peace.

Now if a missile heads towards the US then i agree action needs to be taken. But dont be disappointed by a President who is playing his cards right.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 68):
Obama must finish what Bush couldn't.

And he is and will. But by democratic means. We have got used to Bush sending troops all over the place at the first sign of conflict. Obama is not after friendship, just sorting out the hot spots by talks and democratic means, by not stretching an already stretched military and putting more lives on the line.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

travelin man

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Is there an over/under on whether or not this missle will even get as far as Japan?

I'll take the "under".

QANTAS077

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 68):
If Bush had taken action on North Korea when he was in office, we wouldn't be in this mess.

and Seoul would be in ruins right now...use your brain!

mandala499

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:48 pm

Quoting Danfearn77 (Reply 108):
By holding off, what Obama is showing to NK is that he is not going to get provoked by threats, showing he generally wants peace.

And Kim decided to play Bush, or beyond.
I think that Kim has lost whatever sense he has left and his idea of fun is taunting the world... If the world flinches, he wins... if the US attacks, he'd prove to his brainwashed people that the US is evil, and play victim...

Nutjob? or evil? Either is solvable... but both? That's difficult and that's what Ill-Kim de Jong is!
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

don81603

Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 109):
Is there an over/under on whether or not this missle will even get as far as Japan?

I'll take the "under".

From what I've seen, it never even left the silo. More hot air from the world's hot air leader...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

fca767

Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Couldn't Hennesy stop selling him the cognac...Apparently he is the Biggest Importer in the world...That might make the leader think  Smile...Probably not...I agree he is insane

DocLightning

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:07 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 65):
You got that backwards don't you? All of this mess between NK and Iran are a result of Obama doing absolutely nothing but sit back and blame Bush for what has happened. Instead of telling NK and Iran that their actions would not stand.

And when, exactly, did NK and Iran listen to posturing from the U.S.? NK knows damned well that if they fire a missile at us, we will come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I think his current stance is appropriate. NK and Iran both know U.S. policy well. Rather than blustering, he is simply sitting back and keeping them guessing. They both know that any direct action against the U.S. will have very dire consequences. And I have no doubt that Obama will use the military very well. A ground invasion is not necessary to topple a regime.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MD11Engineer

RE: N. Korea May Launch Missile At Hawaii On July

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:30 pm

From what I´ve read on the BBC website, North Korea launched several short to medium range Scud type missiles on July 4th in the general direction of Japan. Acc. to South Korean military sources the missiles all fell into the Sea of Japan but they suspect that some of them might have been Nodong missiles, which theoretically could have reached Japan, but which´s trajectory was deliberately shortenened to drop them into the sea.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8134462.stm

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

TSS

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:42 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 115):
Acc. to South Korean military sources the missiles all fell into the Sea of Japan but they suspect that some of them might have been Nodong missiles, which theoretically could have reached Japan, but which´s trajectory was deliberately shortenened to drop them into the sea.

Wait, wait, wait... North Korea's most capable missile is called the "Nodong"? Are you serious? What, are these missiles female missiles or something?  Wink
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DocLightning

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:12 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 116):

Wait, wait, wait... North Korea's most capable missile is called the "Nodong"? Are you serious? What, are these missiles female missiles or something? Wink

As I said, if Obama thought it was worth a response, he would have given one.

:D
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Yellowstone

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 116):
Wait, wait, wait... North Korea's most capable missile is called the "Nodong"? Are you serious? What, are these missiles female missiles or something?

Actually, their not-really-ICBM's are called Taepodongs, as Jon Stewart has pointed out several times over the years:

http://www.thedailytube.com/video/17137/wyatt-cenac-taepodong-expert
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

slider

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting Us330 (Reply 78):
I like the analogy, but I would go one step further: if that ankle-biting labradoodle could shoot a gun in your direction, wouldn't you be a bit more worried about them than the pit bulls?

Well, I wouldn’t worry because I happen to be holding the bag of dog food. If doggie gets out of line, he doesn’t eat. Simple. And I’d have a bunch of Dobermans and pit bulls of my own at bay in case that labradoodle did attack, but would keep them on the leash until absolutely necessary.

Quoting USAirways787 (Reply 102):
WW3 is on the verdge ladies gentlemen, please take your seats and fasten your seatbelts.

Good Lord, stop being a drama queen. We’re not going to have WWIII, Kim isn’t going to do shit. I’ve said this for years (on this forum as well) and I’ll say it again. It’s time we sit this one out. South Korea’s a big boy now. We’re not the trip wire on the DMZ anymore, nor do we need troops in 130 countries worldwide. Time for the region to handle this most effectively.