Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flybaurlax
Topic Author

Transformers 2 Anyone?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:33 am

Well, I was invited to go see it last night but it was sold out....then I started reading reviews on IMDB and I'm wondering if I should even see it at all......Have any of you seen it? What did you think of it? I went into the first one 2 summers ago with no expectations, but was then blown away by it. I'm not a HUGE transformers fan from the cartoons, but found it entertaining. What's your opinion on it? Is it worth my $7?
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

NZ107

RE: Transformers 2 Anyone?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:38 am

Megan Fo.... I mean Optimus Prime rocks! Big grin

$7 isn't much.. I'm sure it's a good movie, haven't seen it myself but I'd rather see that than anything else on at the moment such as Arny-less Terminator..
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

Fly2HMO

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:37 am

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Thread starter):
Is it worth my $7?

Even if its not as good as #1 it will still be money better spent than going to watch movies made for the mentally retarded like Clerks, Idocracy, the scary movie series, etc...

If the storyline is crap, then paying $7 to see Megan Fox in a full leather body suit is definitely worth it Big grin

Springbok747

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:09 am

Who cares whether the story is good or not? Its got Megan Fox, another hot chick and cool robot cars Big grin

Goin' to see it on Saturday.
אני תומך בישראל

withak

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:48 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 3):
Who cares whether the story is good or not?

Exactly. A plot would only take valuable screen time away from from Megan Fox, explosions and the giant fighting robots.:D

Kris

[email protected]

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Only saw the first one, and it was pretty much as expected. Impressive special effects, mindless action, and acting so bad that even Stephen Hawking would have delivered more credibility to the characters...

Will probably watch the 2nd film sometime, but I'm sure as hell not paying money for it...

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

EISHN

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 pm

I saw the film on Sunday.
Visually it was fantastic.
But as a film it was completely over cooked. I was quite bored by the end. The final battle wasn't too interesting compared to the one from the first film, which was very exciting.
You're not really missing anything here if you don't see it. Beware, judging by the ending, there'll be a third installment.

wilco737

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 3):
Megan Fox

Maybe the only reason why I would see that movie Big grin

Haven't seen the first part, so I don't see the 2nd part until I haven't seen the first part.  Smile

wilco737

VonRichtofen

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Megan Fox is hot but she ruined it by getting all those nasty tattoos.

I can't stand tattoos.

I haven't seen Transformers 2, but if it's just another 2 hour GM commercial like the first I'll just wait to download instead of paying to see it in the theatres.

fxramper

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Is it worth my $7?

No; they made the same movie again. It's 80% CGI shots.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 2):
then paying $7 to see Megan Fox

The only reason to see the movie. She'll have the lead in the new Lara Croft films.  drool 

BlueElephant

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:28 pm

I saw it last night....It was actually much better then the reviews.

I will tell you this...If you liked the first one, you will like this one, but essentially...it's more of the same (compared to TF 1)

It's 2.5 hours of straight action for the most part, thats about it. It skips around a bit, but It was good.

One thing I didn't like is at some points it was hard to tell who was good and who was bad....

overall though...Not bad and worth seeing in a theater.

[Edited 2009-06-25 10:29:09]

BMIFlyer

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Transformers 3 is due for release in about 12 months time Big grin

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/16/transformers-3-on-july-1st-2011/
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Springbok747

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 11):
Transformers 3 is due for release in about 12 months time

Is this going to be like the 'Saw' series with endless sequels? So when can we expect Transformers 4? Seems all superhero/action flicks need to have 3 or 4 parts nowadays.
אני תומך בישראל

corocks

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:57 pm

I saw it last night and I agree mostly with what was said above. If you like the first one, you will like this one. My only real complaint was that it was too long. They could have cut it by 30 minutes and it would have been just fine. I do agree that the final battle was a little weaker than the first one.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 8):
but if it's just another 2 hour GM commercial

This one did not feel as much like a GM commercial as the first one, but it actually felt more like a military recruiting video. Surprisingly there was an Audi R8 Decepticon in this movie, but it was killed off in the first 10 minutes. I saw it at a private Audi screening and there were several boos in the audience  Smile

Megan Fox is hot.

BMIFlyer

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting COrocks (Reply 13):
Megan Fox is hot.

Oh yes, I must agree Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BlueElephant

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:47 am

Quoting COrocks (Reply 13):
Surprisingly there was an Audi R8 Decepticon in this movie, but it was killed off in the first 10 minutes.

Was kinda humorous given the current condition of the U.S. car companies and European Companies.

flybaurlax
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks for the replies, it's interesting to hear everyone's take on it. I suppose I'll get around to seeing it, and I imagine it's better in theaters than not, but when I get around to it I probably will. I agree that Megan Fox is really hot.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

kingairta

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:56 am

One thing with reviews is they're looking for oscar performances. If you like the first one you'll like the second one. It's a toy based movie what do people expect for a story line? And no this one isn't the GM love fest of the first one. 80% of the time the bots are in robot form and the car scenes are minimal. I was actually a little depressed on the lack of attention to sideswipe(the concept vette) but I really got a kick out of Jetfire. He's an SR-71. got some good screen time.

us330

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:17 pm

then I started reading reviews on IMDB and I'm wondering if I should even see it at all

The only reviews I care about for this movie is how awesome the explosion scenes are and how many times a certain actress is given a close up, especially if it involves fixing a car.
I am coming into this movie with as minimal expectations as possible. I just want to see sh*t blowing up like it was 4th of July and laugh at how absurd some of the attempted scripted non-robot scenes are.

mt99

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting Us330 (Reply 18):
I just want to see sh*t blowing up like it was 4th of July and laugh at how absurd some of the attempted scripted non-robot scenes are.

I went with the same expectations and could not wait for the thing to be over... The CGI is fantastic though. The plot sucks, and the movie drags. If can chop an hour's worth it would be a much better movie

I enjoyed the first one a lot.
Step into my office, baby

Zkpilot

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:19 pm

I can't stand tattoos.

Couldn't agree with you more!! Glad she had them covered up/edited out for the movie!!

As for the movie, awesome effects, pretty cool movie. I think the fight scenes are made unnecessarily too complicated... hard to see who's winning the fight or getting damaged etc.

T3 should be awesome in what 2 years?
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Ps76

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi,

I saw it last week and thought it was pretty good but a bit boring. Was quite funny though which kept it going and John Turturro was cool. If you haven't seen Star Trek I would go to that as I found it a better action flick by a little bit but Transformers wasn't too bad for me.

Hope it might help a little,

P.

EA CO AS

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 20):
I think the fight scenes are made unnecessarily too complicated... hard to see who's winning the fight or getting damaged etc.

One reviewer said it was an assault on the eyes - watching the robots fight is like shaking up a snow globe and trying to focus on glitter shard number 432,821.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ACDC8

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:39 pm

I still haven't even seen the first one ..... lol!

Once it hits the drive in here, I'll got see it, but just because its at the drive in and not just for the movie itself  Smile . And if it isn't any good, I'm sure the 2nd movie playing that night will make up for it  Big grin
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Springbok747

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Saw it last night...and I liked it!

1. Megan Fox is soooooooo hot.
2. Megan Fox is soooooooo hot.
3. Megan Fox is soooooooo hot.
4. That other chick (Isabel Lucas?) is hot. (Holy crap just found out shes Ozzie Big grin )
5. The story is ok, there were many funny moments.
6. The special effects are really cool. And I really enjoyed the SR-71 bit at the National Air and Space Museum.
7. There is going to be a sequel..but I hope Linkin Park don't write music for that.
אני תומך בישראל

BNE

Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:07 pm

I saw it Saturday night, looking at some of the reviews you will probably like it or hate it.

1. Its long.
2. The special effects were good especially when the Blackbird SR71 turned into a machine.
3. There were really too many robots fighting so you really couldn't tell who was on which side; although the effects were good.
4. Some of the scenery in the desert and around Petra in Jordan was good.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

7324ever

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 25):
1. Its long.
2. The special effects were good especially when the Blackbird SR71 turned into a machine.
3. There were really too many robots fighting so you really couldn't tell who was on which side; although the effects were good.
4. Some of the scenery in the desert and around Petra in Jordan was good.

It was an awesome movie all around It was long but your right the scenery was great. I honestly thought that the robot was going to be the Anola Gay or a DC-3...

The focused a little to much on Concorde in it on the AF logo. Did they pay for the publicity?
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

JakeOrion

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen is going to be a love it or hate it. Without giving spoilers to the movie, I'll address some issues in a generic way.

One: there are some plot holes within the movie. I wouldn't consider these plot holes a major issue, but they are considerably noticeable. However, considering the movie's fast action pace, you don't really have time to think deeply about it, otherwise, you find yourself lost.

Two: The CGI is SUPERB. Outstanding graphics and considerable explosions to boot. I'm not going to say anything on an epic scale, but you'll be hard pressed NOT to appreciate the fine details the graphics department offered. The close ups are well deserved of the Transformers themselves, extremely fine detail. Think Lord of the Rings.

Three: Story and plot; extremely fast action paced. However, as said in one, plot holes have cut the story into Swiss Cheese, so you have to "think" for yourself or basically, viewer interpretation. But, again, think too deeply about it, you find yourself lost within 30 seconds.

So what could have made this movie better?

I honestly think this movie should have been dragged out over the course of two movies. If the plot holes were explained over the course of two movies, it would have been Lord of the Rings epic. However, because Bay had decided to condense it within 150 minutes, it literally killed the movie's story line.

So in a nut shell, we get a fast action, lots of robot/human battles with big explosions pace film with just a hint of a story to tie it all together.

Honestly, because I work for the military, I have a better understanding of how Micheal Bay was trying to make it work, therefore, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

AGC525

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 pm

All the times I've been to Udvar Hazy, I never realized AMARG was next door!  Smile

I liked it, I thought it was a great movie.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

withak

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 24):
There is going to be a sequel..but I hope Linkin Park don't write music for that.

I agree. Bring back Stan Bush!

AM744

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I can't stand tattoos.

I agree, but then again, hasn't she had them for a long time now? At least since part 1, but I guess they had them edited back then as well.

ajd1992

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:06 pm

I didn't see the first one and to be honest the 2nd one was boring.

The only good part was the sound track to it, because a few songs were by my favourite band. Barring that, I personally wouldn't pay the money to see it.

Dazed767

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 28):
All the times I've been to Udvar Hazy, I never realized AMARG was next door!

LOL, yeah that was my wtf moment.

It was good, like others said if you liked #1, you'll like #2.

Tugger

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:23 pm

I liked this comment/article in the Wash. Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2009/06/29/AR2009062901195.html
'Transformers': Worst-reviewed $400 million hit?

Quote:
After just five days, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is halfway to $400 million domestically, a box-office milestone only eight other movies have reached. If it climbs that high, the "Transformers" sequel will be by far the worst-reviewed movie ever to make the $400 million club.

Critics and mainstream crowds often disagree, but "Revenge of the Fallen" sets a new standard for the gulf between what reviewers and mass audiences like.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will sometime in the next two weeks.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

NZ107

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:10 am

So many awesome planes in the movie! Great for the military enthusiast. C-17s, F15/16/18/22, Concorde, Blackbird, B1, A-10, L-500s? And quite a few others I missed naming.

Quoting 7324ever (Reply 26):
I honestly thought that the robot was going to be the Anola Gay or a DC-3...

That was my thought too after looking at the picture.

AirframeAS

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:24 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
$7 isn't much..

$7 is cheap for a movie night at the theatre! Here in Colorado, expect to pay $10 just for admission. Then pay another $10 or so for concessions (depending on what you get). It is a rip-off these days. I can rent it on DVD for 85% of what it costs at the theatre. Like I said, its a rip-off.

but if it's just another 2 hour GM commercial like the first

checkmark  I have not seen the second movie yet, but it seems like a GM commercial.

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 11):
Transformers 3 is due for release in about 12 months time  biggrin 

Oh, god! These movies are totally backwards, nothing what the original cartoons showed. The movies are wrong! You can see the first 10 cartoon episodes on YouTube that shows the real story......

These new movies by Michael Bay(?) are a turn-off....except for Megan Fox!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

NZ107

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 35):
I have not seen the second movie yet, but it seems like a GM commercial.

Seems like it's just as much about the military of the US as it is of GM.. The thing I don't get about it is the fact that USA think they rule the world as the inference it conveys in the movie itself. Of course it's made by Americans and also for Americans ($400m in 5 days!) but it doesn't mention anything else about the rest of the world! The Autobots Act or whatever it was called would only apply to USA and if the Autobots went to some other country, it'd theoretically be ok.. Gotta love this patriotism sometimes..

mt99

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 36):
but it doesn't mention anything else about the rest of the world!

Yea i love when Government guy goes: "if the President decides, you will leave earth..." Screw what everyone else thinks!
Step into my office, baby

austinairport

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:02 pm

it was amazing.
PS. I heard that Megan Fox was bi? LOL. That'd be fun to watch.  Big grin
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

Bartonsayswhat

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:36 pm

I saw it the other night. The plot was a bit iffy, but I didn't go to see a thinky ploty movie. I was really impressed with what I saw, between the fights, the explosions, A/C and the girls. Forget Megan Fox, I wanna see more Isabel Lucas. Also, in the first action scene, a helicopter was punched out of the sky. If punching a helicopter out of the sky isn't awesome, nothing is or ever will be.

LTU932

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:04 am

I've been a big Transformers fan as a kid, and do still like to see Transformers (or even sequels such as Beast Wars) from time to time, however the first movie was boring. Sure, Optimus Prime was done well in the CGI, and they put in a sex bomb like Megan Fox in it, but overall, the film dragged. If I do see Transformers 2, it will be either on Television, on DVD or on Blu-Ray.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

pawsleykat

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 am

I went to see the movie on Sunday, it was totally amazing. High octane and lots of eye-candy; Josh Duhamel, Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox (but of course the latter isn't all my cup of tea  Wink)

I loved all the plane shots in it, especially the two Galaxies banking over the Pyramids in the early morning sun... phwoar!

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 9):
The only reason to see the movie. She'll have the lead in the new Lara Croft films.

Apparently not anymore, as she was quoted saying she didn't want to do it since she's already being associated as "The new Angelina Jolie" due to their resemblances (Megan Fox is so much better looking than Angelina tbh)
Still would be nice to see Ms. Fox as Lara Croft though  Smile

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

oldeuropean

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:24 am

You all couldn't be serious. A film about little boys toys. Also as a toy the Transformers are ridiculous.  banghead 

I bet you can't wait for the next Barbie film too?

Big grin
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

austinairport

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 am

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 9):
It's 80% CGI shots.

Mhm. That for me ruins movies. Knowing that there wasnt any real labour and creative thinking that went into the making(grandted that I sure the heck couldn't animate that stuff!)

Lord Of The Rings. It was great because you knew JUST HOW MUCH Work went into making that movie.

IDK, if anyone feels like me.. That's just my  twocents 
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:45 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 36):
The thing I don't get about it is the fact that USA think they rule the world as the inference it conveys in the movie itself. Of course it's made by Americans and also for Americans ($400m in 5 days!) but it doesn't mention anything else about the rest of the world! The Autobots Act or whatever it was called would only apply to USA and if the Autobots went to some other country, it'd theoretically be ok.. Gotta love this patriotism sometimes..

Were you not paying attention to the fact that NEST is an international group? Don't give me Josh Duhammel, etc, the character Capt. Lennox was one of the first to encounter these aliens and live, so him being in command is not far fetched. You also seemed to ignore when the General in charge of NEST ordered one of his subordinates to "call Egypt (or was it Jordan), and get permission to access their airspace." And let's not forget the participation of the Jordanian military in the sequal. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of some good old fashioned anti-Americanism.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 37):
Yea i love when Government guy goes: "if the President decides, you will leave earth..." Screw what everyone else thinks!

Well, let's review...alien robots, Pyramids at Giza destroyed, blocks of Paris f'ed up beyond repair, Jordanian soldiers killed, I can think of a handful of countries in the Transformers Universe that would be hard-pressed to argue with Obama if he made that call. Oh, and the collateral damage in Shanghai.

It's odd arguing over a movie about aliens, but I think the ONLY ones you can realistically say don't care what anyone else thinks might have been the Decepticons.

It's just a movie, let it go.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

N867DA

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 pm

I didn't know who Megan Fox is before watching this movie, but I do now!  Wink

It had excellent graphics and special effects but the plot was mediocre at best. I'd go to see it if you're a huge Megan Fox fan and liked the first one (which I assume is somewhat similar) Otherwise you're probably better off watching it online or waiting for it to reach the dollar theater.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

wingscrubber

Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 pm

1. Shia Lebouef sucks, had an unconvincing death scene, and had to have has hand bandaged because of his drunk-driving wreck.
2. Hooray the US air force/army/navy are so cool and so tough yaya but where were the egyptian army and air force in the egyptian scenes?? The whole movie was just a big GM commercial/military recruiting video.
3. The dumb un-necessary character with the gross close-up thong bit, the CIA/hacker guy or whatever he was, had a line 'I'm going to do this for my country' when he's in egypt, not america, nevermind for his planet...

I thought it was crap, and will not watch it again.
Resident TechOps Troll

us330

Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Just came back from the movie. All I can say is kick a$$! Wanted to run through a wall afterward I was so pumped up and energized by all the explosions.

Westjet!Eh!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:07 am

That movie is quite good but it's too long. However it's interesting to talk about the transformer's history on the Earth.

I read a newspaper yesterday that Megan Fox doesn't know how to ride a motorbike and allows someone to put her bike while making movie.

austinairport

Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:32 am

Quoting Wingscrubber (Reply 46):
'I'm going to do this for my country' when he's in egypt, not america, nevermind for his planet...

I never could figure him out. I was like.....dude.. WTF are you? LOL.

Quoting Wingscrubber (Reply 46):
The whole movie was just a big GM commercial/military recruiting video.

Mhm. LOL. I mean all the vehicles were Chevy, or GMC.