Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sikh Student Attacked In Australia

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:59 pm

http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20090630...udent-attacked-in-australia-a.html

Is it just a stray incident or is the media highlighting it.events of attacks on Indians are being reported daily in Aus

To a Sikh the Hair is sacred.It is outrageous if a persons religon is not respected.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Brendan03

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:26 pm

This is getting more and more common here and it's really tiring...

It's getting pathetic and it seems to have become a fad for teenagers to attack indians... I havn't witnessed it yet.

There's so many things that are contributing to this, Gentle nature of Indians, Lack of Security on trains, Oppitunistic bored teens.

I feel a generation of racist, narrow minded white-trash coming and it's very unfortunate.

Not supprisingly it occured in Dandenong, one of Melbourne's roughest suburbs (That said, my area isn't too fantastic)

I just hope there isn't another massive protest in the city
Coolier than thou.

Elite

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Probably has to do with the economy... as the economy worsens, people usually blame minorities...

iairallie

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 2):
Gentle nature of Indians,

Stereotype much?
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Brendan03

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 4):

Stereotype much?

If you havn't got anything more useful to add than that, I suggest you don't start flaming people.

Being a Melbournian myself, I deal with alot of Indian students as well as Indian residents and I find them to be all mild mannered, polite and gentle spirited.

They keep to themselfs and don't cause anyone any harm.

Quoting Elite (Reply 3):
Probably has to do with the economy... as the economy worsens, people usually blame minorities...

To be honest, most of the attacks are by teenagers from low-income areas, Whilst I'm not sure they'd even know what an economy is, It wouldn't supprise me if they're hearing their parents ranting about how india is to blame (Goodness knows how) for the economic crisis and how they're taking all our jobs and the repercussions are the attacks we're seeing.

God knows it's awful, Noone deserves to be bashed for absolutely any reason at all, letalone over Race and/or Religeon
It's absolutely disgusting, It's giving our city an unwanted reputation and it's not fair on the students who are just here to study so they can make a good live for themselfs.
Coolier than thou.

Phoenix9

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 5):
it's not fair on the students who are just here to study so they can make a good live for themselfs.

Not only that, they are actually contributing to the regional economy by paying the international student fees at the universities / colleges which are several times higher than the regular domestic student fees. For example, here in Canada, average domestic fees is about $6500 per year while the international fees is roughly $15000-$17000 per year.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

gkirk

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 5):
Being a Melbournian myself, I deal with alot of Indian students as well as Indian residents and I find them to be all mild mannered, polite and gentle spirited.

A lot of them are. I have however encountered some right eejits, one Indian guy even accused me of being Polish because he couldnae understand my English? I mean, wtf?  crazy 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ozglobal

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Quoting WestWing (Reply 1):
Suggest the thread title be changed to Australia (or MEL) to avoid confusing with Austin, TX.

Suggest not changing. I would never have confused with Austin, TX. Perhaps certain Americans would make this mistake, but they will soon realize that AUS is the international standard abbreviation for Australia (c.f. GB, USA, FR, DE, etc). This is an international forum.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

N328KF

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Stereotype much?

IAirAllie, you say that like it's a bad thing. When's the last time you saw Indians chanting 'death to America'?
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

allrite

RE: Sikh Student Attacked In Australia

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:49 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 8):
When's the last time you saw Indians chanting 'death to America'?

Well, we saw Indians in India burning the Australian flag and effigies of our Prime Minister over the claims that Indian students were the victims of racially motivated attacks in Australia...

Mel: you could have just restarted this thread about the topic, as I thought we had a pretty robust discussion there.

If there is any racism involved, I suspect that it's opportunistic rather than systemic. I've never been to India, but I suspect that if I was to go walking through a low income area of India, especially late at night, that I might be a target for crime based upon the fact that, as a white person, I am stereotypically wealthier than they.

Also, while the institutions receiving the students' funds should do something to assist, things like accommodation, finances and security are ultimately additional costs for the students themselves. If you live in cheap areas of cities, take jobs in retailers likely to be the target of robberies or travel on late night transport dressed in flashy clothes you ARE more likely to be attacked. It's true in virtually every country I've visited and I'm sure it's true of India. That's why the locals shun those jobs and locations!

When I was at uni many of the overseas students made themselves the target of resentment (hopefully not crime) by flaunting conspicuous wealth over the "relative" poverty of the locals. Whether it's still true, I don't know, but wherever you go, it's safest to blend in as much as possible and to understand the local conditions. NO country is perfectly safe, whatever the rosy picture painted in the brochures.

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Is it just a stray incident or is the media highlighting

Definitely media highlighting them, but it's good to take stock of how we can improve things, especially when it involves such an important industry! See today's Sydney Morning Herald article for an example of more media interest. But note the last paragraph:

Quote:
The number of deaths by suicide is expected to increase after inquests are finalised. International students also were more likely to drown than Australians, with at least 10 in the 12 months. Three students died in violent attacks.

It is stressfully different and lonely here for many, so you can expect suicides, and many foreigners don't learn to swim so it's not surprising either about drownings. Swimming is virtually an assumed skill here - I'm taking my 7 month old to his first lessons this Saturday!
I like artificial banana essence!

ltbewr

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:57 am

Several years ago, in a town (Lodi) near me here in New Jersey, there was a similar attack on a Sikh young man, also by some young jerks. Probably so dumb they believe in a stereotype that anyone wearing a cloth head wraping is a middle-eastern, Islamic terrorists or supporter. Let us hope those involved in any such attacks face a judge and jail or if juvenials, some detention.

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:12 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 7):

Suggest not changing. I would never have confused with Austin, TX. Perhaps certain Americans would make this mistake, but they will soon realize that AUS is the international standard abbreviation for Australia (c.f. GB, USA, FR, DE, etc). This is an international forum.

I think the confusion could be there moreso because when you type AUS in a reply (for example, your reply), it shows up as the airport in Austin, TX.

Quoting Allrite (Reply 9):
Mel: you could have just restarted this thread about the topic, as I thought we had a pretty robust discussion there.

That thread is archived.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
Probably so dumb they believe in a stereotype that anyone wearing a cloth head wraping is a middle-eastern, Islamic terrorists or supporter.

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure that attitude exists in the US among some people.

The vast majority of Sikhs I have met have been extremely kind. My dad (who grew up in India) has often told me the exact same thing.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

comorin

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:29 am

I read the the students in question were attacked by Lebanese-Australians, which makes this all the more confusing. Can any of our Oz friends shed some light on this?

Well, we saw Indians in India burning the Australian flag and effigies of our Prime Minister over the claims that Indian students were the victims of racially motivated attacks in Australia...

If true, that's very improper, they're still guests in your country. I suspect however, there may have been a few non-student troublemakers in the crowd that were behind this.

Vikkyvik, your Dad is right. Sikhs are the Salt of the Earth, never will you find kinder and truer friends.

kiwiinoz

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:43 am

At the risk of sounding a little controversial, (Aussies don't like a lot of social commentary from Kiwis!), I believe there is always the risk of underlying racism in Australia.

I lived there for many years, (Melbourne and Adelaide), observed many differing medias, moved in many different circles, in both my personal and business capacities. I found that it was accepted in almost every level of society to be racist towards Aboriginal Australians. Comments about glue sniffing, drunkards, lazy, etc, etc, applied to the entire race seemed to get passed in many circles without barely raising and eyebrow. I still see it today sometimes.

Now, Australians are definitely more sensitive about racism to other races. However, surely if there is a pretty generic societal message out there that racism towards one race is acceptable, then the general concept of racism is deemed as acceptable.

WestWing

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 7):
I would never have confused with Austin, TX. Perhaps certain Americans would make this mistake, but they will soon realize that AUS is the international standard abbreviation for Australia

This an aviation site, and because of this, I think that several of us (irrespective of our national origins or personal biases) would first think of the IATA code when we see a 3-letter capitalized abbreviation. As an example, if the abbreviation used in the title had been FRA (which is the ISO standard abbreviation for France), I would have thought it meant Frankfurt. I assure you, it was not an "American mistake", it was a misunderstanding based on the aviation context of this site. The word Australia is unambiguous, so my thanks to the mods for changing the title to use it.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

allrite

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:50 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 13):
At the risk of sounding a little controversial, (Aussies don't like a lot of social commentary from Kiwis!), I believe there is always the risk of underlying racism in Australia.

I lived there for many years, (Melbourne and Adelaide), observed many differing medias, moved in many different circles, in both my personal and business capacities. I found that it was accepted in almost every level of society to be racist towards Aboriginal Australians.

Oh, there is definitely underlying racism! For example a newspaper will usually talk about someone's ethnic background if they are of non-anglo descent, as if that defines them. And with regards to the Aboriginals, sadly their negative examples are so visible that they overwhelm the many silent achievers from their society.

But show me a country or culture where racist sentiment doesn't exist! At least Australians (and we aren't alone in this) tend to be ashamed of racism, rather than passing it off as acceptable cultural differences. I don't mind media reports of racism in Australia as it reminds us that we should improve.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 11):
That thread is archived.

My bad, I did a search and didn't see that message.

baroque

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:57 am

It is stressfully different and lonely here for many, so you can expect suicides, and many foreigners don't learn to swim so it's not surprising either about drownings. Swimming is virtually an assumed skill here

Not wrong Allrite to coin a phrase!! The SMH has a long article about it.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/revea...oll-set-to-rise-20090630-d3t0.html
That is about probable suicides, but the accidents are equally tragic. Just as well Sydney does not have crocs, because the drownings are awful. I still think that Brendon Nelson's removal of Student Unions was a bad move. I know as well as most the faults of the old Unions, but they were a base on which to build and I was most impressed by one student counsellor that we had - and usually counselling leaves me totally underwhelmed. Also students need an appeal system outside the internal mechanisms of the University.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 12):
I read the the students in question were attacked by Lebanese-Australians, which makes this all the more confusing. Can any of our Oz friends shed some light on this?

I could try, but really I think we are going to have to wait until Channel Nine produces Underbelly 4, or will it be Underbelly 5 dealing with Sinney Lebs. Then again, the Sinney Lebs are probably a much more complex set of causations than the Underbelly 1 or U 2 ones were (and they were complex enough).

This is a link to Underbelly 2.
http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/underbellyataleoftwocities/

This is to Underbelly 3 which has yet to screen.
http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=824370

I don't know if either Underbelly will be shown overseas, but they are well worth seeing. I am a bit biased because a number of my colleagues were sitting having lunch a couple of restaurants away from where one of the more famous murders took place on a Friday lunch time. I rang later that afternoon, and found that they had been there wondering what all the fuss was about!!! But well done and the similarity of some of the actors to those they were impersonating is a bit creepy - especially fat boy.

But the Sinney Lebs are probably a more localized phenomenon than the outer suburbs violent youth that seems to be the problem with Indian students.

This seems to be a more balanced approach to what is a real problem.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/india...tudent-industry-20090630-d3t2.html

There are 430,000 foreign students in Australia, of whom more than 90,000 are Indian.

The strategy to be agreed to at the premiers conference will commit the states to work harder to protect foreign students with increased police presence at public transport centres and other danger spots.

Ethnic liaison officers will be appointed and students given a better understanding of their rights and obligations in Australia.

Universities and other institutions will be told to lift the standards of accommodation for foreign students, which is deemed unacceptable, and areas of discrimination among foreign and domestic students will also be minimised.

The states will agree to offer international students the same public transport concessions as domestic students.

Foreign students - with special emphasis on Indians - will be encouraged to participate more in extracurricular activities on campus to enhance cultural understanding and tolerance.

A major problem with all students, is that most take jobs to make ends meet and many of these jobs leave them late at night in areas that are poorly policed - well all areas are poorly policed unless you count the radar cameras!!

So far, I seem to be able to say come to Wollongong.  crossfingers  The zillion students that walk past here each day seem to have little or no trouble.

Kent350787

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
So far, I seem to be able to say come to Wollongong.

But that would involve living in Wollongong, and noone wants that, do they?
 Smile (born and raised in the Gong, UOW graduate, so hopefully I'm allowed to make such a joke)

But i think you're right about the area being pretty safe for students.

Kent
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

baroque

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:25 am

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 17):
So far, I seem to be able to say come to Wollongong.

Smile (born and raised in the Gong, UOW graduate, so hopefully I'm allowed to make such a joke)

Certainly you are.  Big grin

It is dark and it is midday, we must be in Wollongong.

I tried to get Michael Birt to use Aunty Jack to publicise the University when it broke free from UNSW, but he thought it too risky - pity!!
http://www.auntyjack.org/
Now be good .... or I'll come round and rip yer bloody arms orf.

Ah well, it is for us to know and keep secret from those who have not experienced it Kent. Although I have to say I am a bit apprehensive today because the dreaded catabatic westerlies are forecast for either later tonight or at latest tomorrow. And I really hate them.

One time we had a bad westerly, we had a visitor who lived in a hurricane area on the Gulf of Mexico and he was astonished at such a wind and no rain, not even a cloud. It ended up with him giving his lecture as chalk and talk when most of the power supply to Wollongong blew down.

allrite

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:42 am

Not necessarily! My wife and I commuted to UOW daily from the Sutherland Shire for a few years. No wonder we racked up more than a quarter of a million kilometres on the old car! And we all know that the Shire is blissfully racist free! Big grin

So far, I seem to be able to say come to Wollongong. crossfingers The zillion students that walk past here each day seem to have little or no trouble.

Which is interesting, considering the entrenched long-term unemployment in Wollongong. I can only assume that those areas are geographically distant from the uni.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 12):
I read the the students in question were attacked by Lebanese-Australians, which makes this all the more confusing.

What's confusing? Most crimes in Sydney are seemingly blamed upon "offenders of middle eastern appearance" (the assumption being Lebanese), whether this is true or not. Oh, and all gun crimes can automatically be assumed to occur in "Sydney's South West", whilst a couple of bag snatchings make headlines in Sydney's posh Eastern suburbs. Go figure!

baroque

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:52 am

Quoting Allrite (Reply 19):
So far, I seem to be able to say come to Wollongong. crossfingers The zillion students that walk past here each day seem to have little or no trouble.

Which is interesting, considering the entrenched long-term unemployment in Wollongong. I can only assume that those areas are geographically distant from the uni.

You probably touch on a very relevant point - geography. Making simple (and quite possibly wrong) assumptions, the unemployment is probably most prominent to the S while the University is (as you know) just to the N. So few students would have accommodation to the S and might therefore be further away from centres of unemployment than might occur for example in Melbourne where some of the Universities are further out from the city centre.

I imagine a demographer could work it out, so we can probably expect the odd PhD thesis on "Geographic factors in the safety of overseas students at Australian Universities".

Meanwhile, reinvent the Student Unions and insist they assist overseas students.

Kent350787

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:56 am

Ah, the catabatic westerlies - I remember a couple of half finished houses up Mt Nebo being blown down as a kid. Inner west sydney is much calmer - although a much larger Maronite Lebanese community (but little obvious street crime - go figure?)

I agree that there is an underlying current of racism in Oz (overt in the Shire, of course!  Smile ), but am yet to see real evidence that the attacks, especially on Indian students, are racially motivated. The fact that many of the attacks seem to be by first generation immigrants on an unrelated racial group surely belie the broader "Australia is racist" statement.

Which doesn't mean that police shouldn't investigate the assaults/robberies to the best of their abilities.

Kent
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

iairallie

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:45 am

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 4):

Stereotype much?

If you havn't got anything more useful to add than that, I suggest you don't start flaming people.

They keep to themselfs and don't cause anyone any har

Well actually it is constructive. In my mandatory diversity requirement course at university they made it pretty clear that both "positive" and negative stereotypes should be avoided. So called positive sterotypes ala Asians are good at school are as harmful as the negative ones. It's simply not true that Indians are somehow more gentle natured than people of other national origin groups. Evidenced by some of the bloody rioting and other violence which has occurred on the subcontinent. It could be viewed as demasculinizing It is a silly stereotype however well meaning you were when you typed it.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 8):

Stereotype much?

IAirAllie, you say that like it's a bad thing. When's the last time you saw Indians chanting 'death to America'?

It is a bad thing to perpetuate stereotypes of any ilk.

and to the latter http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186312,00.html

Took me 2 seconds to find an example I'm sure there are more.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 11):
The vast majority of Sikhs I have met have been extremely kind.

Very true.Sikh & Gorkas are some of the bravest & yet kind people on this planet.There may be exceptions,but not many.

I posted this thread,as I read the article wanting to cut the hair of a sikh.I found that extremely bad & got me quite annoyed.
I'm a Roman catholic Indian,staying in Mumbai,I have a lot of Friends that are sikhs too.I know how important & sacred the hair is to them.

Why would someone interfere with anothers religious symbol.

Indian students also struggle to save for their education or procure loans to study,not all are well to do.They are probably quieter in a foreign country as their purpose there is to study & achieve their target & not create a battle situation.

In case an individual does well economically,its a lot to do with hard work & education levels.If one is targetted for that,then there is something wrong with the attacker.

Notice how its one victim against 4-5 others,why not an even match,because its a case of jealosy & bullying.

I hope the Indians don't start retaliating.

About the news article on Fox about protests against America.are you aware who protested & why & what is the percenntage of Indians that hate America.....This is a country with hundreds of Religons & its the Worlds largest Democracy.The percentage of normal people are quite high

India hosts the 2nd largest muslim population in the world,and its a democracy & secular state.playing host to every religon.

A survey conducted recently & elections a few months back clearly showed the thinking of the citizens voting for stability & progress.

Every country has its lunitics & exceptions even if in small numbers.Hopefully the good people can control these weirdos.

I just hope these attacks stop as its creating a huge uproar at home.

regds
MEL.

[Edited 2009-07-01 00:28:48]

Springbok747

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:58 am

They burn anything and everything in India. If India lose a cricket match, they burn the effigies of the players, and if some political party wins/loses they burn someone else's effigy. This is just meaningless..not like they're actually threatening the PM.

I was in Dandenong 2 weeks ago, and was approached by a teen (he must have been 14-15) with a watch (some kind of a digital watch) and a Sony SLR camera (who knows where he got them from..most likely from home)..and he offered them both for $100. Clearly he was someone who either didn't know or didn't care about the actual value of those items, but he just wanted money (I'm guessing for some nasty activity). When I refused, he said the f-word and other nasties and walked away cussing.
These kids are just looking for opportunistic targets..and I don't think these attacks are racially motivated (a small percentage may be, but definitely not all of them). Unfortunately the Indian students seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also that protest in Melbourne didn't help.
אני תומך בישראל

Ryanair!!!

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 am

Oh god not another one.... I was just in Melbourne 2 weeks ago and I was wondering what has come of this Indian attack situation. And lo and behold, another one happens! I hope that guy who was attacked knew he was in a rough area. It is really sad that in most cases these students have no choice but to LIVE in such areas because they are on a tight budget. When I was studying in RMIT, I did have many classmates who were commuting from Dandenong too so this hits home, indirectly.

While we wish this won't happen anymore, it will unfortunately. But what the authourities can do is to punish these wrongdoers and hang them by the balls to show the community at large that crimes like these are not acceptable. I hope they manage to catch the rest of the gang who perpetrated this attack.

don't know if either Underbelly will be shown overseas, but they are well worth seeing.

Underbelly is being shown on Singapore cable TV now. Pretty riveting stuff and even more scary to think this actually happened!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

melpax

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 am

Dandy can be a very rough place at night, especially around the station. More than likely an opportunistic attack, student at night, proably carrying a laptop bag...... As said previously, these attacks are happening mostly in lower-income areas with large numbers of people on welfare.

The large government department I work for (Revenue collection  Smile ) has a large office in the very salourbious Dandenong CBD. Last time I spent a bit of time there, I noticed quite a few homeless people on the streets, that had obviously been moved on from the inner city. And the beggars..... There used to be a syringe exchange located next door to our office. Friends would tell me of seeing people overdose while they were outside having a smoke, lovely..

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 24):
I was in Dandenong 2 weeks ago, and was approached by a teen (he must have been 14-15) with a watch (some kind of a digital watch) and a Sony SLR camera (who knows where he got them from..most likely from home)..and he offered them both for $100. Clearly he was someone who either didn't know or didn't care about the actual value of those items, but he just wanted money (I'm guessing for some nasty activity). When I refused, he said the f-word and other nasties and walked away cussing.

Dosen't suprise me. Don't think he got them from home though... From 'a' home, yes, but not his own........
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:43 pm

It wouldn't supprise me if they're hearing their parents ranting about how india is to blame (Goodness knows how) for the economic crisis and how they're taking all our jobs and the repercussions are the attacks we're seeing.

In some companies that is correct, when I worked for NCR the call centre in Sydney was closed down and moved to India, 50 or so jobs were lost, these were low skilled positions which many of the people who are now out of work would have had. There are sometimes valid reasons behind some peoples resentment.

The Wollongong Whiz Wayne Gardner came from there so it can't be all bad.

baroque

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:13 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 27):

The Wollongong Whiz Wayne Gardner came from there so it can't be all bad.

Ah, so we ARE famous. What about the Wollongong bleeder?

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 25):
don't know if either Underbelly will be shown overseas, but they are well worth seeing.

Underbelly is being shown on Singapore cable TV now. Pretty riveting stuff and even more scary to think this actually happened!

Interesting. Not sure if you are seeing the Melbourne oriented series (Carlton St) or the Tale of Two cities, but in both cases the killings were pretty much restricted to "their own" although of course the drugs were much more widely distributed.

Meanwhile:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...ney-acid-attack-20090528-born.html

Suggests that in addition to the other problems we have, some are imported problems

Two charged over Sydney acid attack
May 28, 2009

Two men have been charged over a violent, racially-motivated suburban Sydney home invasion in which acid was poured over two Sri Lankan students.

The dreaded Lebs again - I think not.

Seems to be an attack on Sinhalese students by Tamils. As we keep on saying (from the 60s when Jugoslavian battles were being fought out here), look we have enough problems of our own, keep your quarrels in your own country. I imagine that the attackers have a fair chance of being deported once they have learned a bit in one of our jails.

Ryanair!!!

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 28):
Interesting. Not sure if you are seeing the Melbourne oriented series (Carlton St) or the Tale of Two cities, but in both cases the killings were pretty much restricted to "their own" although of course the drugs were much more widely distributed.

It is the 1st Season so pretty much Melbourne-centric. It has been touted as a TV series which was "banned in Australia!!!". But investigating further into it, the ban was only momentary so as not to influence the court proceedings which were in progress when the series was launched. Plus I believe the ban was only restricted to the state of Victoria, right?

I am not sure if the channel has picked up Tales of Two Cities.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

cpd

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 25):

They weren't exactly nice people.

And a few weeks ago, we had the final real instalment of the whole crime family warfare (in real life).

Quoting Baroque (Reply 28):
keep your quarrels in your own country.

So right - this is Australia, we don't need the wars from home spilling onto this country.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 29):
Plus I believe the ban was only restricted to the state of Victoria, right?

That's right.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 27):
In some companies that is correct, when I worked for NCR the call centre in Sydney was closed down and moved to India, 50 or so jobs were lost, these were low skilled positions which many of the people who are now out of work would have had. There are sometimes valid reasons behind some peoples resentment.

Loss of ones job,does not mean attack a student because he belongs to a particular country that has taken the job.The country govt is responsible for desicions too not students studying.
regds
MEL..

baroque

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:30 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 29):
It is the 1st Season so pretty much Melbourne-centric. It has been touted as a TV series which was "banned in Australia!!!". But investigating further into it, the ban was only momentary so as not to influence the court proceedings which were in progress when the series was launched. Plus I believe the ban was only restricted to the state of Victoria, right?

I am not sure if the channel has picked up Tales of Two Cities.

Yep, that is Underbelly 1 and it was held back in Vic due to one of the personae dramatis being on trial. ???Fat boy IIRC altbough they would have wanted it held back for the guy who fled to Greece and whose name escapes me.

We had much the same where a revelation of NSW police corruption by the ABC was shown elsewhere but not in NSW for something like 5 or more years. Featured Roger Rogerson and green lighting, see also Underbelly 2.

So watch Underbelly 2 as well if you get a chance, totally different and very much the same and a wonderful portrayal of Aussie Bob Trimbole. Different drug scene, imports rather than home production and Kiwis in a starring role. Great casting and great acting - again.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 30):
And a few weeks ago, we had the final real installment of the whole crime family warfare (in real life).

Very tempting to take $5 on it not being the FINAL installment, but one should not bet on these things!!! I would need to look at Phoenix and Janus to see what might happen next.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 31):
Loss of ones job,does not mean attack a student because he belongs to a particular country that has taken the job.The country govt is responsible for decisions too not students studying.
regds
MEL..

True, true and true, but there is an additional responsibility you are missing. Between the two societies young folk are having the hopes of their families futures loaded onto their shoulders, with added weight from loans taken out to fund their studies and packed off to a strange land to cope. At the least this is leading to working in settings that are ending up to be unsafe.

But aside from that, all too often this is resulting in suicide. Both societies are to blame. India for expecting too much and for making the charge - emotional and financial - on the youth too high and Australia for making the financial charge higher than can be borne. And yet the solutions to the attacks will inevitably lead to a rise in fees.

Something must be done to break a knot that is rapidly being made gordian.

PanHAM

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Why do such attacks always get a racist connection? I just read about an attack where a couple of Swiss youth, 10 graders on a class excursion to Munich beat a man almost to death in Munich.

Most of the Swiss guys had a "migration background", some from the Balkans, one or two overseas. There was no verbal argument whatsoever, nothing, they just beat the man randomly, for kicks.

Now, was that a racist attack, where a German (Bavarian) was beaten up? Unfortunately, such things can happen anywhere in the world, but only when the victim belongs to a minority group it is labeld "racist".
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

yowza

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 22):
Took me 2 seconds to find an example I'm sure there are more.

Please don't think that because you successfully found an example (of course Fox news  Yeah sure) that your point stands. Muslims are a minority in India and don't speak for the broader country. The Muslim population themselves are used as implements by external interests of an Islamic slant to make a point from time to time.

YOWza

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:37 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 34):
Muslims are a minority in India

huge minority in India though & second largest muslim population in the world lives here.
regds
MEL.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:59 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 31):
Loss of ones job,does not mean attack a student because he belongs to a particular country that has taken the job.The country govt is responsible for desicions too not students studying.
regds
MEL..

It's not the govts problem it's the companies problem.

I can see why people would get angry, for example a young bloke loses job to cheap call centre in India, he see's an Indian walking down the street so he kick's the crap outta him to vent his anger......it's not the correct way to deal with the situation but I can understand how it can happen.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 36):
It's not the govts problem it's the companies problem.

Can be the former,depends on restrictions/regulations in place.
Too bad the fools don't attack the companys bosses,but rather the harmless student.
regds
MEL.

falstaff

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:06 pm

It wouldn't supprise me if they're hearing their parents ranting about how india is to blame (Goodness knows how

Probably because if it is anything like here in the USA we have outsourced many jobs to India. A lot of the "great" tech jobs we were told that were coming because of the shift away from manufacturing came and soon went abroad to places like India. Of course only a person in India can hold a job that was outsourced to India so knocking around an Indian who isn't in India doesn't make any sense. It isn't like that guy took your job. But usually street thugs are not very bright.

Quoting Allrite (Reply 15):
For example a newspaper will usually talk about someone's ethnic background if they are of non-anglo descent, as if that defines them

Not always in the US anymore. Around Detroit new bulletins are sometimes put out if they are looking for somebody. Sometimes it is a wanted criminal, but sometimes it is a missing child. A lot of times the media in Detroit will omit the color of the skin. I think that is dumb because the description is not as good. When they are looking for a child they may say something like :" A female age 4, 3 feet tall, 60 pounds, black hair, brown eyes, wearing jeans and a white t-shirt" That could be a lot of kids. If they included the child's race that would be one more way to narrow down the list. If they say they are missing a black child that meets the description I certainly wouldn't be looking for any Asians, Whites, or Hispanics that could also meet the description. The same could be said that if the police say they are looking for a white man. I wouldn't bother keeping my eyes peeled for a black man. However we have become so politically correct that we can't even mention race or color in a description of a person.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503