Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

7324ever
Topic Author

Michael Jackson Memorial Service

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Who liked it who didn't what was you favorite part?
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

A332

RE: Michael Jackson Memorial Service

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm sorry, I moved on almost two weeks ago.

*shrug*

[Edited 2009-07-07 14:38:53]
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

TheSorcerer

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 1):

*shrug*

Same here, not that it really affected me 2 weeks ago either

Dom
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

OA260

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:53 pm

I wasnt going to watch it but Im glad I did in the end. Was better than I thought it would be. Nice choice of music also. For me though its finished and done. Time to move on.

tsaord

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 pm

His daughter gave such a moving speech about her father. Al Sharpton gave a good sermon. he really has turned a corner to me. But it was a nice and fitting memorial for one of the worlds best entertainers!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Why on earth was Sheila Jackson Lee there?
I don't take responsibility at all

tsaord

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Well, most high profile African Americans know other high profile African Americans. She may have met him more than once throughout his career. Fact of the matter is the family asked her to speak.

shamrock350

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I didn't see all of it but from what I did see it was quite good. I thought Paris Jackson saying those few words about her father was very brave of her, I really do feel sorry for those three children who have lost their father.

Today's memorial was a way for his millions of fans around the world to say goodbye and I hope his family can now say their goodbye's more privately.

A332

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 2):
Same here, not that it really affected me 2 weeks ago either

Yeah, I was more happy that Jon & Kate were eliminated from the spotlight...

Pretty sad that another two Canadian soldiers just died in Afghanistan and they are merely a footnote to MJ's memorial service in the Canadian media.

sarcastic 
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

tsaord

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Why does this not surprise me?? lol. As much as Michael was a world wide star and broke MTV's racial barrier this was just bound to happen.

Quote:
In death Michael Jackson, the quintessential racial cross-over star, has managed to make a U-turn and become a racially polarizing figure. In the week since he has died he has become defined as a black superstar after a lifetime of trying to avoid just that kind of racial limitation.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/07/07/taking-sides-michaels-death/

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 6):
Well, most high profile African Americans know other high profile African Americans. She may have met him more than once throughout his career. Fact of the matter is the family asked her to speak.

I think she just smelled the cameras

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 9):
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/07/07/taking-sides-michaels-death/

It'd be interesting to see similar stats and revisit the coverage after Elvis' death

LTU932

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 pm

I saw part of it, and it was truely not the circus that the media seemed to expect (at least so said ABC News), it was more of a solemn and entertaining event. The ceremony was nice overall.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

BlueElephant

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:50 pm

I saw it...it was fairly well done.

Paris is what hit me, definitely makes you remember that he was also a father, son, brother...etc.

I think Shaheen Jafargholi did fantastically for a 12 year old....I wouldn't be surprised if the kids is headline news in the future.

ShyFlyer

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:53 am

Quoting 7324ever (Thread starter):
what was you favorite part?

When it ended.

Of course, it really isn't over...not as long as there are ratings and photo ops to be had.  Yeah sure
I lift things up and put them down.

stasisLAX

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 1):

*shrug*

Enough, already!!! President Reagan's death didn't get this much news coverage!!!!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

jetjack74

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:14 am

Quoting 7324ever (Thread starter):
Who liked it who didn't what was you favorite part?

Didn't watch it. I had plants to pot

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):

and Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson etc.....

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):
I think she just smelled the cameras

And a microphone
Made from jets!

WarRI1

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 8):
Pretty sad that another two Canadian soldiers just died in Afghanistan and they are merely a footnote to MJ's memorial service in the Canadian media.

I could not agree more, people are ridiculous these days. Our priorities are just a little off. I will grieve for him, just like he would grieve for me.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

sudden

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:37 am

I watched it as well, and it was not at all what I expected it to be. It was more of a happy celebration for who he was, and what he had accomplished though out his life.
I found the speech by Brooke very nice as she described him from the point of being a friend, not an artist.

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 4):
His daughter gave such a moving speech about her father

Indeed! It was short, but very powerful.
His children has lived their lives away from the spotlight as much as it was possible, and to now hear/see his daughter like this was very heavy.
I hope they will be able to recover in peace without having media all over them for the rest of their lives.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

HOMER71

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:23 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):

So she can show off the framed House resolution honoring Michael Jackson and brag about how she help get it passed.

Rev. Al Sharpton (to the Jackson children): "There's nothing strange about your daddy!"

Best compliment at a memorial service, ever.
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

us330

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am

Proud to say I didn't watch a single minute of it.
The whole thing is just absurd and makes me want to vomit.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 16):
could not agree more, people are ridiculous these days. Our priorities are just a little off

Yep. The guy seems to be bigger in death than in life.

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 16):
I could not agree more, people are ridiculous these days. Our priorities are just a little off. I will grieve for him, just like he would grieve for me.

When you have hundreds of millions of fans, you can have your own memorial special too

Quoting Us330 (Reply 19):
Yep. The guy seems to be bigger in death than in life.

Seems to be the case with most music acts like Nirvanna, Elvis, Beatles...

Carlisle

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 8):

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 14):
Enough, already!!! President Reagan's death didn't get this much news coverage!!!!

Yes we all know the media networks' agenda of "selective reporting" by now and I must say that I moved on even when "The Prince" was still alive. Besides, I thought that the real "Prince" was the individual who performed "Purple Rain?" (Ironically, I like "Prince"'s music much more than MJ's.) What I find most ironic is that persons who never really liked MJ to begin with are starting to obsess over him and his death, post facto. The human existance never ceases to amaze me.

Yeah sure
"CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (Delta)

OffshoreAir

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Of all people, Geraldo Rivera has an excellent point: http://tr.im/ro5o

And it is not just the celebrities, the millions of fans in so-called "mourning" are doing the exact same thing.
OffshoreAir

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Quoting OffshoreAir (Reply 22):
And it is not just the celebrities,

I think that's in the job description of being a celebrity.

Quoting Carlisle (Reply 21):
What I find most ironic is that persons who never really liked MJ to begin with are starting to obsess over him and his death, post facto

I haven't watched much of the coverage or any of the memorial and I never really cared too much for his music, but I still think he's a fascinating, tragic character. He's a psychiatrist's dream and an example how fame and family background can combine to go catastrophically wrong.

Stretch 8

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:41 pm

I think the best part was when his brother Jermaine sang that great old Charlie Chaplin song "Smile."
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

slider

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:52 pm

DucatiRacer

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting Carlisle (Reply 21):
What I find most ironic is that persons who never really liked MJ to begin with are starting to obsess over him and his death, post facto.

My secretary calls these people "Tragedy Moochers." They are always sooooo affected by the unfortunate events that happen in the lives of people they have never known. I wonder what the cost of all the lost productivity in the US, or world for that matter, workforce was yesterday.

As for me, I thought his music was just ok when I was a kid and his popularity was at its peak in the US. He has been entirely irrelevant to my life (other than bringing forth periodic disgust at his appearance and antics) for the past 15 years. I for one will be glad when the coverage ends, of course any peace will last only until AEG starts mass-marketing the sale of his final tour practice video, which I bet is in final editing even as we speak - look for it at a Wal Mart near you by the end of the month!

PSA53

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Here in Los Angeles:

All TV and radio stations,including news stations,covering this,didn't do traffic reports and other more important stories.This event should have been raffled off covered by the TV music channels,MTV's and VH1's,and one cable/satelitte station and local channel.That's it!

What a horrible misuse of media power.

What was the topic this morning.Who will pay for all of this.All sides are now bickering.

Quoting OffshoreAir (Reply 22):
OffshoreAir

I agree! What are bunch fair weather friends.Well put.

Lights! Camera! Sharpton!

What a big con!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Carlisle

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Quoting DucatiRacer (Reply 26):
My secretary calls these people "Tragedy Moochers."

Interesting! Definitely will try not to forget that one!  Smile

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 27):
Who will pay for all of this.

The people who caused the problem to begin with. (See first quote and comment, above.)  Smile
"CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (Delta)

NorthstarBoy

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:52 am

I watched it. In an odd way, i found myself very strongly affected when i watched parts of it the second time, Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star of my generation, and it's just hard to believe that just like that, he's gone, and what have we got to look forward to as music fans? IMO basically nothing. Really, the death of Michael Jackson was, in many ways, the end of an era of great music. For that alone I'm sad.

Frankly, I've always felt Sharpton is nothing but a suit full of hot air, when i watched it on DVR, i fast forwarded through him, i can't stand by the guy.

I liked Brooke Shields' tribute, i can smell TV tears a mile away, but i could tell her emotions were genuine.

I also thought Paris' tribute was touching, as was Jermaine's rendition of Michael's favorite song,

Finally, i was very touched by Sheila Jackson Lee's tribute, whether people want to admit it or not, Michael Jackson was a first class human being. People need to look beyond shallow characteristics and look at his true accomplishments and the ways he worked to better the world and the people in it. So what if he didn't fit in with the rest of society? He was still a once in a lifetime icon who's greatness will be measured by history through his philanthropic actions not the tabloidesque recounts of what he supposedly did when he was off stage. He will be remembered as a great man when we open our eyes and stop judging people based on purely shallow characteristics.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

SmithAir747

Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:54 am

The thing that struck me most is...

Who needs a $25,000 gold-plated, solid-bronze casket, that will just be put in the ground? Why spend so much money, the equivalent of a Cadillac, on a burial casket? I'm interested to know the reasoning behind the choice of a casket whose price rivals that of a luxury car...

The casket in question is Batesville Casket Company's (Batesville, IN) top of the line, most expensive model, the Promethean, a solid bronze casket plated in gold, full-couch in design (meaning the lid is one-piece, whereas most caskets are half-couch/split-lid). It can cost anywhere from $35,000 on up. Batesville's next-runner-up is its stainless-steel Millennium.

Wasn't Elvis buried in a Batesville Promethean, or something similar to that? I remember seeing a photo of him lying in a full-couch casket similar to the Promethean.

(Yes, I do follow the casket/funeral industry, and as a child, I once played undertaker for my sstuffed animals, using shoeboxes as coffins!)

SmithAir747

[Edited 2009-07-10 22:56:20]

[Edited 2009-07-10 23:11:06]
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)