Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Stretch 8
Topic Author

MLB 09 At He All-Star Break

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:47 pm

My Detroit Tigers have been in 1st place for two months, and have been getting it done with pitching (Verlander-Jackson) and defense (Inge-Granderson). Those 4 players are also on the AL all-star team. It's a long way to go, but if the bats heat up (Carlos Guillen due back soon, Miggy Cabrera doing just fine), this team should be playing well into October.

How is your team doing?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

steeler83

RE: MLB 09 At He All-Star Break

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Well the Pirates look like they're about ready to successfully start yet another 2nd half skid towards the bottom of the division... They just blew a huge 7-3 lead over the Phillies to altimately lose 8-7. Now they're 11 games away from .500.

Did anyone hear that? I believe that was the fat lady warming up. I cannot believe they are actually trying to trade their top hitter. Is Jack Wilson also up for trading? I'm sorry, but this ball club is just dreadfully pathetic!

The Detroit Lions of MLB, rebuilding since Barry Bonds left 16 years ago... It's sad...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

smcmac32msn

Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 1):
The Detroit Lions of MLB, rebuilding since Barry Bonds left 16 years ago... It's sad...

I'd actually consider them more the Cincinnati Bungles... only because the Pirates can win a game in a season...  duck 
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

QXatFAT

Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 am

Well my Dodgers are doing great! A good lead in the NL West and are proving themselves as they play people outside of the Padres and Rockies. The only thing I felt bad about was Juan Pierre. The guy did great when Manny was out his 50 games for PED's. I dont know what will happen for trades...but I think the Dodgers could sure use some more bullpen and an awesome starter. My guess is though that the Dodgers wont make any trades.

Go DODGERS!
Don't Tread On Me!

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:04 am

The Mariners are improving as of late. They have traded Yunsky Betancourt to the Royals for two prospects.

Don Wakamatsu is going to the ASG as one of the AL coaches!  Smile
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

dragon-wings

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:13 am

Well at the All Star break the Mets are 42-45 and 6 and a half games out of first place. They have been plagued with injuries the whole first half of the season. Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes, John Maine, and JJ Putz are all on the DL. Hopefully thing will only get better for the Mets in the second half of the season.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

max550

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Did anyone hear that? I believe that was the fat lady warming up. I cannot believe they are actually trying to trade their top hitter. Is Jack Wilson also up for trading? I'm sorry, but this ball club is just dreadfully pathetic!

They do well as the farm team for the rest of the league though.  Big grin

The Phillies are doing well now. They still need to get their pitching sorted out but luckily they've had enough run support lately to get by. Great to see them go 9-1 in their last homestand.

steeler83

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:59 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 6):
The Phillies are doing well now. They still need to get their pitching sorted out but luckily they've had enough run support lately to get by. Great to see them go 9-1 in their last homestand.

At least they used the Pirates as a punching bag...

Oh here's another one, considering the Phils swept the succos:

There was a dust infestation at CB Park, and the Phillies removed it by "sweeping" it!  Wink

Seriously, tho.

There was an article in the PG about the posse of half-witts otherwise known as the hapless management of that God-forsaken team known as the Pirates. The team is trying to save money by trading away their top players for these [email protected]$$ over-the-hill underperformers just to save a few bucks? Newsflash, dopes, that isn't doing $hit for the team! Saving money by digging a hole to China, not in the best interests for/of the team or the city!

I thought that in order to get anywhere, you have to spend money to make money, and I think that needs to be applied to this team, and sooner rather than later! I guess they're not learning anything yet. Oh well, they've already repeated this mistake 16 times already, and now nuber 17 is just around the corner...

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...3/trades-for-winning-or-money.aspx

This is Bob Smyzik's Blog; he is a regular columnist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and I think his opinion is right on the money here. The team may be saving money, but they are paying the ultimate price. You know the phrase, "you get what you pay for?" That's how I interpret it anyway. They're paying cheap money for players that do not take the team anywhere but further down the abyss of losing season after losing season...

Oh well, go Phillies, at least there's another PA team worth rooting for!

Heh, come to think of it, didn't all of Philly's major teams make the playoffs over the past year? The Eagles made it to the NFC Title game, the Flyers, well I won't go there, the 6ers were in the NBA playoffs if I'm not mistaken, and we already know about the Phillies!!  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

fxramper

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Astros were last in their division and 2nd worse record a while ago; now a few games out of 1st place in arguably the toughest division in baseball.  yes 

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 3):
Well my Dodgers are doing great!

They play in a shameful division; a la NFC West... next.

Sad to see a few great players on their team not succeed.

max550

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 7):

At least they used the Pirates as a punching bag...

At least they faired a little better than the Reds last Monday.

Heh, come to think of it, didn't all of Philly's major teams make the playoffs over the past year? The Eagles made it to the NFC Title game, the Flyers, well I won't go there, the 6ers were in the NBA playoffs if I'm not mistaken, and we already know about the Phillies!! Smile

Not only that, every team in PA made it to the playoffs within the last year, except for the Pirates of course.
I saw the World Series and Super Bowl trophies along with the Stanley Cup together at the Capitol last Tuesday, probably won't get to see that ever again.

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:00 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 5):
JJ Putz

I believe the Mariners are glad to be rid of Putz.

smcmac32msn

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 9):

Not only that, every team in PA made it to the playoffs within the last year, except for the Pirates of course.
I saw the World Series and Super Bowl trophies along with the Stanley Cup together at the Capitol last Tuesday, probably won't get to see that ever again.

Imagine if the Sixers would have won it all. All 4 major trophies in Pennsylvania at the same time....
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

USPIT10L

Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:33 pm

I agree wholeheartedly that the entire team needs rebuilt. Unfortunately, that includes Jack and Freddy. The problem is, Nutting won't spend the money to do it. He'd rather have 1.5 million suckers keep filling his coffers every year while the team shows zero signs of improvement. Oh, of course, there'll be free-agent signings and contract extensions to current players from time to time, but it's all to keep the "diehards" happy and feeling like the team has a direction and a plan. I don't see any end in sight, and until people are actually willing to stop going to the games and buying the team's merchandise, it'll continue. Why, when someone actually tried to boycott the team a few years ago, people in the stands booed HIM, not the product on the field. I will give Philly fans credit for one thing, however, they sure do know how to boo. I swear, Pirate fans are the most polite fans I've ever seen, at the ballpark. God forbid you try and watch games with them at home.  Wink
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

pocho

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:37 pm

GO DODGERS!!! Best in the league.

I predict an LAD vs BOS World Series.

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Quoting Pocho (Reply 13):
I predict an LAD vs BOS World Series.

If that happens, I'm rooting for BOS!  wave 

max550

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:54 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 14):

If that happens, I'm rooting for BOS! wave

Don't worry, the Phillies will take care of the Dodgers again, just like last year.

texan

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 8):
in arguably the toughest division in baseball.

Sorry, Drew, but the NL Central is nowhere near the toughest division in baseball. The AL East is by far the toughest, with four solid teams and a solid young team. The AL West is also better, and the AL Central is probably as strong as the NL Central. The problem with the NL Central is that the Pirates and Reds are in the division, and the Brewers pitching has decided to look like the Brewers pitching. If you go by run differential, the NL Central is tied with the AL Central for 2nd worst, with the NL East being the bottom dwellers.

As for my team, the Texas Rangers, we are still somehow in the race! And, for the first time ever, it is thanks to our pitching! We have allowed the fourth fewest runs in the American League. Now Josh Hamilton is back and, in theory, healthy, so our hitting should improve. Kinsler hasn't hit worth a damn recently . . . yeah, he has 20 HR, but he is hitting .250 and is our leadoff hitter. Michael Young is our only player hitting over .300. If our hitting turns it around, which it has to, and our pitching stays the same or barely declines, we could actually win the West.

Most likely, though, we will do what we always do in the second half of the season in the sweltering heat of North Texas: fade like the grass on the prairie. Hope springs eternal, though.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

steeler83

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm

At least they faired a little better than the Reds last Monday.

You lucky sone of a gun!  Smile

I read about that in the local PIT papers. I wish I could've gone...

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 12):
I agree wholeheartedly that the entire team needs rebuilt. Unfortunately, that includes Jack and Freddy. The problem is, Nutting won't spend the money to do it. He'd rather have 1.5 million suckers keep filling his coffers every year while the team shows zero signs of improvement. Oh, of course, there'll be free-agent signings and contract extensions to current players from time to time, but it's all to keep the "diehards" happy and feeling like the team has a direction and a plan. I don't see any end in sight, and until people are actually willing to stop going to the games and buying the team's merchandise, it'll continue. Why, when someone actually tried to boycott the team a few years ago, people in the stands booed HIM, not the product on the field. I will give Philly fans credit for one thing, however, they sure do know how to boo. I swear, Pirate fans are the most polite fans I've ever seen, at the ballpark. God forbid you try and watch games with them at home.

Ok, perhaps Freddie and Jack need to be overhauled, but sheesh, replace them with people who can actually play the sport; not some scallywags like they have been signing the past 16 years. Like you said, it's probably going to be the norm for years and years to come.

I wonder if any of the fans will wear paper bags over their faces any time soon like some of the rather dreadful NFL team fans have done in the past, namely the Saints and I think the Buccaneers IIRC...

northstardc4m

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 am

... Well ummm... yea...  no 

hissyfit  Win something you good for nothing Blue Jays!  hissyfit 
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

PSA53

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:32 pm

The LA Angels needed this break which couldn't have come at a better time.It was a battle.First,Texas came in and mauled the Angels and lost first place To the Rangers.And players were dropping like flies with injuries.Hunter and Guerrero were both placed on the DL,Rivera refused the dl is questionable.But going into the last weekend before the break,the Angels got the Yankees at home.Thank you,God! We sweep the Yanks and take back first place by 1.5 over Texas.But the Angels are hurting and a lot of issues need to be resolved to remain competitive at the end.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.