Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Superfly
Topic Author

7-Year Old Steals Car To Avoid Going To Church

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:52 am

Surprised this hasn't already been posted.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=165&sid=7365090

The 7 year old boy really didn't want to go to church. I have to say, I agree with him. I remember being dragged to church at his age. Even though I never stole my parents car, I can understand his plight. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

7324ever

RE: 7-Year Old Steals Car To Avoid Going To Church

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
The 7 year old boy really didn't want to go to church. I have to say, I agree with him. I remember being dragged to church at his age. Even though I never stole my parents car, I can understand his plight. Big grin

Well of corse! Its boring or a person of seven, but thats one hell of a way to get out of church. No pun intended!
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

kiwiandrew

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:17 am

It might have been better had he done what I did at that age , politely but firmly say that ' I am not interested in church , why cant I stay at home with Dad while you go ?' .

Up to that point my mother had just assumed that I wanted to go , once she realised I wasnt interested my Sunday mornings improved immensely. ( Although I am not sure that my father thought his Sunday mornings were enhanced by my disruption of his 'quiet time'. )

pawsleykat

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 am

That's one of these fantastic stories you only hear from the US. Certainly brightened up my morning.

I can feel for him though, I hated going to church until I was around 11 when I actually got to stay home. Since both of my parents went to church when they were together, there was no one at home to look after me until I was old enough to stay in the house on my own for an hour or two.

4 days grounding seems light for this case. Albeit no TV or video games is harsh for any child, I think 4 days is a bit, shall we say, not worth the bother.

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

kiwiandrew

Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 3):
4 days grounding seems light for this case.

I think you have forgotten what it is like to be 7 years old . 4 days is forever when you are that age .

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Saw the video.... not bad driving for a 7 year old! LOL!  Silly
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

mirrodie

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Then again, considering the spotlight he's gotten, who knows what ELSE he might do?!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Fly2HMO

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm

To Avoid Going To Church

Can't say I blame him.  duck 

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 5):
Saw the video...

Is it me or that TV station has the ugliest news presenters ever?  yuck 

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 5):
not bad driving for a 7 year old! LOL!

Ya really I was expecting much worse.  bigthumbsup 

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm

This is pretty funny. But when you think about it the kid live in Utah where there is a high Mormon population. Mormom church is a lot longer than say a Catholic or a Lutheran mass. I'd probably do the same thing.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

tsaord

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:18 pm

If both parents go to church and wish to raise their children in their faith then the child has to go! if the whole family goes what makes him think they are going to get a babysitter for him on Sunday?

Granted maybe they need to find out what bothered him and move from there. However the punishment is justified since he could have hurt someone.

I saw the little guy on the news. Just too funny. But I hope he learned not to do that again. He jumped out the car and just ran off toward the house lol
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 9):
He jumped out the car and just ran off toward the house lol

That was the funniest part of the video!  Silly

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 8):
when you think about it the kid live in Utah where there is a high Mormon population. Mormom church is a lot longer than say a Catholic or a Lutheran mass. I'd probably do the same thing.

I can tell already he will be their child that will rebel against the family religion. Kudos to this kid!

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):
Can't say I blame him.

Amen!  praise 
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:20 am

That's one of these fantastic stories you only hear from the US.

Wait, you guys had a baby-faced 13yo thinking he was the father of a baby with a 14yo girl who had had sex with 8 boys without a condom. I mean, I'm not saying we ain't entertaining to watch, but you Limeys had better not calling our kettle black!  Wink

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):

To Avoid Going To Church

Can't say I blame him. duck

Ah, Superfly and HMO, my two brothers in heathenism. And hedonism.  Wink
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PPVRA

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:28 am

Can't blame him either. My parents took me once a year for Christmas and I still couldn't handle a full service, I would leave mid-service and play outside.

Most people seem to fall asleep anyways. Might as well do it in bed.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

steeler83

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:29 am

Well, so much for wise-ass remarks.

Altho I must say, he drives much better than most people do who actually have a license to drive!!  duck 

And somehow, I happen to encounter just about every such driver here in Chester County on just about any given day!!

Now as for this kid...
Let's see... "

Either I bore myself to tears, or I do what I can to get out of going, even if it means committing a string of felonies involving the use of a motorized vehicle such as my parents' car. Say, what is a felony, and when the heck did I learn to communicate like this? I'm only 7! Eh, 'B' is more exciting..."

Big grin Big grin Big grin
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Fly2HMO

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
Amen!

Is that an oxymoron?  Wink

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
And hedonism.

My life has been anything but hedonistic lately, but thanks for the compliment  Wink

kiwiandrew

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 9):
If both parents go to church and wish to raise their children in their faith then the child has to go!

so the kid has no say ? what if he is not religious , it happens , there is no innate reason why a child has to believe the same things that their parents do ?

RussianJet

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:05 am

Nice story. Terribly written piece of journalism though. "The Scarbrough's now see some humor in the situation, but Preston faces punishment." What the hell do they teach in journalist school these days??
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:34 am

Ah, Superfly and HMO, my two brothers in heathenism. And hedonism.

Proud to be a Hedonist.  Smile

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 16):
What the hell do they teach in journalist school these days??

It's just a small potatoes news outlet in Salt Lake City.
Bring back the Concorde

RussianJet

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
It's just a small potatoes news outlet in Salt Lake City.

I see that, but they should still be able to write properly even if it's not their job, and in fact writing is their job.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 18):
I see that, but they should still be able to write properly even if it's not their job, and in fact writing is their job.

If they were good journalist, they'd be working for the New York Times, Washington Post or Los Angeles Times.
Not stuck in Salt Lake City.
There are other news outlets with better staff that covered this story.
I chose the KSL article because it was their local story with a video.
Bring back the Concorde

globeex

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Wait, you guys had a baby-faced 13yo thinking he was the father of a baby with a 14yo girl who had had sex with 8 boys without a condom.

Yeah, I remember this story. Was even on German television.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 15):
what if he is not religious , it happens , there is no innate reason why a child has to believe the same things that their parents do ?

I totaly agree with you. Of course there is the question from which age on one really can decide for theselves.
What I find kind of ironic. I would really like to see most of the people making a statement like that you were refering to when talking about kids in muslim countries that are sent to coran schools.

4 days grounding seems light for this case. Albeit no TV or video games is harsh for any child, I think 4 days is a bit, shall we say, not worth the bother.

First of all, I would say, that 4 days is actually a pretty long time for a 7 year old. I addition I would like to add, that in most cases like this or let it be the 14 year old girl having unprotected sex with 8 guys it usually is only 50% their own fault. Mostly their parents have about an equal share in their actions. It might have been different this time, but usualy it's not.
As you may presently yourself be fully made aware of, my grammar sucks.

757MDE

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:48 pm

The 7 year old boy really didn't want to go to church. I have to say, I agree with him. I remember being dragged to church at his age.

I was not really dragged to church much but I wish I had a car and could drive like that the few times I did!
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

us330

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:19 am

I wish I had thought about that!
Instead, I would usually fake stomach aches and ride my bike outside in the rain and claim to be sick to get out of going to hebrew school. I did whatever it took, but it was mostly unsuccessful.

falstaff

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:10 am

I have to say, I agree with him.

I am proud to say I got ole' Superfly to church!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Super80DFW

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:21 am

Smart child. I wish I had thought of this when I was 7. My parents still force me to go to church. I swear I officially OD'd when I was 11. Now it's just stupid, useless, and I enjoy seeing people make fools of themselves. The idea that people think carma and luck is the work of a higher being is indeed a laughing matter.

[Edited 2009-08-05 19:22:17]

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 23):
I am proud to say I got ole' Superfly to church!

Trust me, I would have loved to snatch the keys to your Lincoln Town Car and drive back to get more sleep.  Silly
However I didn't want you to lose that sweet parking spot just before the Tigers game.  Smile

J/K
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:51 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 24):
The idea that people think carma and luck is the work of a higher being is indeed a laughing matter.

Karma is religious.

Karma (Sanskrit: कर्म kárma (help·info), kárman- "act, action, performance"[1]; Pali: kamma) is the concept of "action" or "deed" in Indian religions understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in Hindu, Jain, Sikh and Buddhist philosophies.[2]

Throughout this process, some traditions (i.e., the Vedanta), believe that God plays some kind of role, for example, as the dispenser of the fruits of karma[12] or as exercising the option to change one's karma in rare instances. In general, followers of Buddhism and many Hindus consider the natural laws of causation sufficient to explain the effects of karma.[13][14][15] Another view holds that a Sadguru, acting on God's behalf, can mitigate or work out some of the karma of the disciple.[16][17][18] However, according to Jainism, neither the God nor the Guru have any role in a person's Karma. A person himself is the sole doer and enjoyer of his karmas and their fruits.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

duke

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:22 pm

I think freedom of religion should apply at any age. Parents don't own their children. I am not against them teaching their chid what they believe, but the child should be free to accept or reject it at any age and no one should be able to impose their religious practices on the child. Many people who were forced to practice a religion as children rejected it as soon as they possibly could.

TheCol

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:20 am

4 days grounding seems light for this case.

That, and allowing their child to receive the publicity he got, explains why he even considered stealing the car. Total lack of effective parenting skills.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 6):

checkmark 

Out of 27 replies, this is the only decent one.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.