Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymia
Topic Author

Foreign Policy Magazine Any Good?

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 pm

I was just reading some things online and went to www.foreignpolicy.com. Is the magazine any good. It is not much money $18 but I do not know anything about it. Is it biased to one side? Anyone here subscribe to it? I am an International Affairs Student in Washington DC it seems like something I would like. Just want a few opinions before I pull the trigger on my big $18 buy Big grin

Thanks,
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

PacNWjet

RE: Foreign Policy Magazine Any Good?

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 pm

The institution of higher learning you attend most likely subscribes to the publication in print and/or online. If so, you might try reading it via the library (or online if available through your school) before you decide to purchase a personal subscription. I teach international relations at a liberal arts college and increasingly I have let my personal subscriptions to some scholarly journals lapse since I can access them anywhere using my school's institutional subscriptions that are available online.

IH8BY

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:41 pm

I second PacNWjet. If you're reading from with in the college network, you may find that it authenticates automatically; if outside, you will usually have to access the publication through your institution's library website and possibly enter your network login details. However, and this may depend on your institution's particular subscription, you may find that you cannot reach the most recent issues of the publication online due to the publisher's e-journal embargo. This is the case for Foreign Policy - amongst other journals - at my university (I am an international relations student), which we access through EBSCO.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

flymia
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 1):

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 2):

I completely forgot about my access, I really don't use it much and my schools access is a little bit confusing. As I do prefer to have it in print I will definitely check my schools online library database first. I know they have access to a lot of journals. Thanks for the reminder guys.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Rara

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Thread starter):
Is it biased to one side?

Looks like. I browsed through the website and it's leaning quite far to the right from what I gathered.

In any case, it clearly follows the Realist school of thought. Maybe just my preference, but I never found their publications very helpful. It's more enlightening to look inside other countries, understand how people think and act there, than to read the ever-similar musings about how "the" North-Koreans do this and "the" Americans do that, and how "the" Russians help them while "the" Chinese remain neutral.

When at uni, I always had a look through the European Voice. Don't know whether it's of any interest to you (focus on the EU obviously), but it's an example of a pretty insightful IR paper.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

cannibalz3

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 pm

I second all of these. It's always cheaper - or free - to go through the school, but they have an excellent (free) website that allows access to almost the entire magazine - and a good circle of blogs, I should add (blog.foreignpolicy.com).
I, personally, wouldn't say they're biased towards the realist side of things. They tend to take submissions from all over the spectrum - though Rara is right that they tend to substitute government for people - and the article is only as good as the submitter. They do tend to take more submissions that oversimplify an issue or start up a good argument - if you're looking for hardcore academic data-backed reading there are better journals (APSA has one, can't remember the name), but FP is way beyond what you'll get from crap like Newsweek. I recommend it. It's up there with The Economist, but with a larger focus.