Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fca767
Topic Author

Top Gear - Why Is It Repeats?

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:17 pm

I keep getting confused with Top Gear on BBC2 Either it's new or old...sometimes its new sometimes it's old...and I've seen this episode...so whens the new one on?
Am I just mixing up the new series with Dragons Den being new....lol

sunshine79

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:22 pm

The new series of Top Gear finished last week. BBC will be filling in many slots with lots of repeats until September when the new season of series starts, typically when the kids go back to school.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

CPH-R

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 pm

The most recent series finished last weekend, so presumably it's back to showing repeats. The next new series will start in November I believe.

doug_or

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Did they ever actually air the airport equipment race, or did it get cut?
When in doubt, one B pump off

CPH-R

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Quoting Doug_or (Reply 3):
Did they ever actually air the airport equipment race, or did it get cut?

Got cut by the looks of it, but they can always use it in a later series to fill some time. They've done that a few times now, as it's one of the type of segments not related to a new car model or anything.

eric

RE: Top Gear - Why Is It Repeats?

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Because they like confusing it for people who does not know grammar. Seriously, check out iPlayer if you are so confused.

[Edited 2009-08-09 16:27:25]
n

fca767
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:17 am

Quoting Eric (Reply 5):
Because they like confusing it for people who does not know grammar. Seriously, check out iPlayer if you are so confused.

dnot tlak aobut gmramar baucese three is no piont as poelpe udnresntad.

It should " I have a space suit" But I like most people aren't bothered

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 1):
The new series of Top Gear finished last week. BBC will be filling in many slots with lots of repeats until September when the new season of series starts, typically when the kids go back to school.

They seem to like to do that, I think I've watched more repeats than actual programs (New Programs for eric cause he will cause some uproar)

Thanks guys for the replies  

[Edited 2009-08-10 01:20:10]

[Edited 2009-08-10 01:25:33]

kiwiandrew

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 am

Quoting FCA767 (Thread starter):

I keep getting confused with Top Gear on BBC2

Possibly because it is the same old tripe dished out week after week so it is very hard to tell the episodes apart ? "Oh look , Jeremy Clarkson just said something incredibly stupid , I must have seen this one before" "No , he does that every week , remember? "

Danfearn77

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 am

The new series is always shown on sundays and the repeat goes out on BBC2 during the week. After the series has finished it runs again on BBC2 and BBC 3 i think. New series of TG is back in November i believe.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

andz

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:50 am

Here the repeats are becoming so dreary, last week I saw for the umpteenth time the episode where they introduced James as a new presenter!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

MYT332

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 9):
last week I saw for the umpteenth time the episode where they
introduced James as a new presenter!

I haven't seen that one for years! Big grin
One Life, Live it.

Danfearn77

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 am

There is also Dave, a freeview channel which plays roughly 6 top gear episodes every day, old repeats obviously, but from across all 13 series.

andz

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:15 am

This is what we have lined up Top Gear wise for the next 2 weeks. All on BBC Knowledge, and most repeated up to 4 times on the same day!

Series 11 Episode 6
Series 9 Episode 2
Series 9 Episode 3
Series 10 Episode 9
Series 10 Polar Special
Series 10 Botswana Special
Series 2 Episode 7
Series 2 Episode 8
Series 2 Episode 9
Series 9 Episode 4
Series 9 Episode 5
Series 9 Episode 6
Series 10 Episode 1
Series 10 Episode 2
Series 8 Episode 1
Series 8 Episode 2
Series 8 Episode 3
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

idealstandard

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am

After the weird finale of this series and the sombre articles published by Jeremy Clarkson over the last few weeks in place of his usual tory humour - does anyone else suspect that they might be facing cancellation?

fca767
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 am

Quoting Danfearn77 (Reply 11):
There is also Dave, a freeview channel which plays roughly 6 top gear episodes every day, old repeats obviously, but from across all 13 series

Quoting Andz (Reply 12):
This is what we have lined up Top Gear wise for the next 2 weeks. All on BBC Knowledge, and most repeated up to 4 times on the same day!

Tell me about it....
Why Buy Sky Television (Cable) when all they do is repeat every day...It's like Airline...Surely they could put repeat episodes on from the other parts of airline but it seems to be the exact same year repeated...
And then there's Dog the bounty hunter,,,repeated way too much.,,, I wanna see the new ones

Danfearn77

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Quoting Idealstandard (Reply 13):
After the weird finale of this series and the sombre articles published by Jeremy Clarkson over the last few weeks in place of his usual tory humour - does anyone else suspect that they might be facing cancellation?

I doubt it. I was reading something a few months ago and James May said they are all willing to do it for another 5 years or so. Which is what, roughly 8-10 series!

I think the way he ended it the other day was in regards to the financial crisis and the way everyone is obsessed with Global Warming.

I dont really think the articles were any different than usual! The ending was weird but, like i said above, i think it was his way of getting across how special the Aston Martin was.

GDB

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Someone I know who works for the BBC reckons it is one of their best international selling cash cows.
They are not likely to cancel it when large parts of the TV industry is battered by recession, even the advert free BBC not being exempted.

Also, it's a useful answer to critics who drone on (usually in media owned by Rupert Murdoch), that the BBC is some kind of 'Liberal Elite' bastion giving out government PR and everything is put through a huge PC filter.

It also has a very wide appeal, even from those who are not interested in cars, they are basically a comedy trio with a few car tests and news added on.

idealstandard

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 16):
Someone I know who works for the BBC reckons it is one of their best international selling cash cows.

Undoubtedly - I read somewhere its the worlds number 2 or 3 export show behind CSI Miami and another one.

Great show and heres me with crossed fingers hoping for another 5-10 years!

Danfearn77

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 16):
It also has a very wide appeal, even from those who are not interested in cars, they are basically a comedy trio with a few car tests and news added on.

Well said. They prat about and make great TV. One of my favourite lines which made me laugh was on the Vietnam Special last year. At the end they were stuck in a cave in the sea on their motorbike/canoe machines and Jeremy said: 'if you've just tuned into Britains favourite car show we in a cave looking for a bar' (or something along those lines).

Its a funny show which is occasionally topical about cars. Fast cars. You could probably count on one hand the amount of cheap cars they have tested. One repeat on UK TV today actually started with Jeremy saying 'we get complaints we dont have a look at enough cheap and sensible cars, so here's one, the Toyota Prius' (the camera zooms in and then straight back out again and he continues) ' there we go, now a look at a Maserati Supercar'! Just brilliant-best show on TV long may it continue.

GDB

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:04 pm

I too loved the 'specials' like the Vietnam and Africa trips, probably for the reason that their persona's (undoubtedly exaggerated versions of themselves), full reign over a longer period.

Here's a thing though, you know when Clarkson made those jokes about truck drivers and murdered prostitutes, which caused complaints, well as it was first broadcast, a friend rang me, you watching Top Gear? , I answered yes, then, he's a cheeky bugger that Clarkson isn't he?
I replied that maybe we should sue!

Chris was referring a letter we both (drunkenly) composed to Viz (non UK members, a satirical and adult comic), about the correlation between truck/van drivers and murders of females. Should they have female outline stickers on their cabs, like fighter aircraft have of enemy aircraft they've shot down.
This was about 15 or more years ago, Viz printed it too.

This was because (somehow) a conversation had turned to convicted killers like The Yorkshire Ripper, Robert Black and some others I've forgotten ,who had all been delivery drivers.
Though complaints to Top Gear took it as a direct reference to the Ipswich killer who murdered 6 prostitutes in Nov/Dec 2006.

We just reckon Clarkson reads Viz !

AeroWesty

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:12 am

Well BBCAmerica has been advertising for a couple of weeks now that Top Gear will be "all new" tonight. So what's playing? They've begun playing Season 7! (We just had Season 12.)

Ah well, I've watched most of Season 13 online anyway.
International Homo of Mystery