Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

Opinions Wanted For Airshow Video I Made.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 am

Well, it's not exactly civil aviation, and I suppose it isn't strictly speaking military either... so I thought I'd give it a go here.

Anyway, following the Sunderland International Airshow this summer, I sat down and edited together a video over a couple of days. In the end I thought it turned out ok, so I've added it to youtube. But I'd like some fresh opinions on the video, as I can't see the whole project "for the first time" anymore, because I've seen bits of it over and over while putting it together.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlJEgpxLu2U

Looking forward to some feedback, be it positive or negative...  Smile

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

OHLHD

RE: Opinions Wanted For Airshow Video I Made.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 am

It is good! I like the helicopter scenes best.

The formation flights are great too but a little short.  Smile

[email protected]
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:46 am

Thanks.  Smile
I was pretty limited as far as time was concerned, so I had to edit the longer clips down to a minimum, but still tried to keep the best formation footage in the video.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming.

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Wolverine

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:46 pm

This is a very nice Vid! It's really a good job, and the music matches it perfectly!
 bigthumbsup 
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

IHadAPheo

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:33 pm

Dang!!, very nice indeed. very nice shot composition of high speed targets and the editing is damn fine

IHAP

I'd love to see what you would do to a wedding video shoot...
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

photopilot

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:14 am

Overall, very nicely done. The only critique I'd have is the formation fly-by left to right at about the 4:15 to 4:20 mark where you change speeds - fast - slow - normal in the same scene. I find that one scene distracting and wondered what purpose it served. I love the slow-mo stuff which works well, Just not the speed change within a shot. Hope you understand what I mean.

Great music that sets up nicely with the images.

salud
Steve

futurepilot16

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:37 am

Spectacular airshow and spectacular video. I liked the the ending. Is there anythiing like this in the U.S.?
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

cedars747

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:44 am

Amazing video  thumbsup 
Flot [email protected] !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

canoecarrier

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:20 am

Great job. I am always amazed at the skill of the fixed wing stunt pilots, but whenever a helicopter does acrobatics it's amazing. The forces involved are similar but to invert a helicopter is spectacular.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 am

Amazing Video Thomas.
Great stuff.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

IgneousRocks

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:39 pm

Hey, that's pretty nice...admittedly, I would have like to have heard a bit engine noise intermixed with the music track.
I can take your igneous rocks or leave 'em. I relate primarily to micas, quartz, feldspar.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.  Smile

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 4):
I'd love to see what you would do to a wedding video shoot...

Odd to compare a wedding video to an airshow, hehe. Unless they all walk out of the church in a V-formation, with the bride in the lead with colourful smoke coming out of her... Anyway, I'd probably not do very well with that.  Wink

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 5):
The only critique I'd have is the formation fly-by left to right at about the 4:15 to 4:20 mark where you change speeds - fast - slow - normal in the same scene. I find that one scene distracting and wondered what purpose it served.

Actually it only goes from fast to slow speed... But anyway, as I said I had to deal with a time limit concerning the length of the video. The music didn't actually last long enough to fit the highlights, so I've edited the music a bit to make it last an extra 1:30 mins or so.
Anyway, I thought the aerobatics the team performed in the particular clip were too good to edit out, so I decided to speed it up to fit it all in the video. Also hoping It would create a decent effect as one sometimes get when changing the speed of a video clip. But I agree it didn't turn out as cool as I'd hoped.

Quoting IgneousRocks (Reply 10):
I would have like to have heard a bit engine noise intermixed with the music track.

Well, that was my initial thought, but I tried it a couple of times while making the video, and it just sounded too "noisy", as there is the occasional sound of wind blowing, people talking, or the enthusiastic commentator over the speakersystem in the background... So in the end I decided to leave the original sound out all together.

[email protected]

MCOflyer

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I loved the video and do agree the plane shots were to short. However, the music fit right into the theme.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 am

I'll be editing together a longer, uncut version without the music, to include pretty much everything I filmed at the airshow, but I doubt I'll share it online. Too long for youtube for one thing...

[email protected]