Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Self-Gloss: Got My Float Endorsement!

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey, the other day I acquired enough hours for my float plane conversion. I can now land on both land and water!

Here's a picture of the ol' girl I trained on.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/CanadianFighterPilot/Aircraft/180Tele.jpg
A Cessna 180

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

Phoenix9

RE: Self-Gloss: Got My Float Endorsement!

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Congratulations! Lets see some air-air pictures now  Wink
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

airkas1

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Good job Cal, congrats!

ronglimeng

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:16 am

Congratulations.

I guess a C-180 is a pretty good plane to do a float endorsement with? I see a C-172 on floats outside my office window and its performance it kind of pathetic.

So where do you go from here? Any chance of a job?

flybaurlax

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 am

I'm jealous! Congrats! I've always wanted to do that! I hope you have a great time flying that thing!
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

DiamondFlyer

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:10 am

I've always been confused about this. In Canada, is it just an endorsement, similar to a complex/tailwheel/high performance endorsement here in the US, or is it another separate checkride?
I got my private float rating last fall in an Amphibious Husky, and I'm looking to up it to commercial this fall. Probably going to try to do it in a Maule or something a little larger than a 2 place.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 am

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 3):
I guess a C-180 is a pretty good plane to do a float endorsement with? I see a C-172 on floats outside my office window and its performance it kind of pathetic.

Yeah the 180 is pretty standard to train on. A lot of float operators have them in their fleet.

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 3):
So where do you go from here? Any chance of a job?

Well now I'm going back to College for my final year to finish my Multi-IFR. The place I was working for this summer (the people who gave me the rating) have offered to employ me next summer as a pilot, as well I have gotten offers from other operators in the area to work for them.

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 5):
I've always been confused about this. In Canada, is it just an endorsement, similar to a complex/tailwheel/high performance endorsement here in the US, or is it another separate checkride?

It isn't just a single check ride. You have to have 7 hours on floats logged and of that 5 has to be dual and there has to be 5 solo takeoff and landings.

Cal  airplane 

lowrider

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:11 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Thread starter):
Hey, the other day I acquired enough hours for my float plane conversion

Nicely done. Floats are a blast. Does Canada require an additional endorsement for skis too? Those are also lots of fun.
Proud OOTSK member

DiamondFlyer

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:01 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 6):

It isn't just a single check ride. You have to have 7 hours on floats logged and of that 5 has to be dual and there has to be 5 solo takeoff and landings.

Of course. Its sort of similar down here. Basically, whenever the instructor feels your ready, its time to go for the checkride. I think I took 4 hours with the instructor, no solo time. You guys just call things funny stuff up there, with the whole endorsement versus class/category ratings thing is confusing. Thanks for the info.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

dl021

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Well done!

Now...get some pics of you flying the Mars, and we'll all give a crap!  Wink
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Birdwatching

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Congratulations!  Smile

Here's a question from a pilot who (usually!) avoids water when landing:

When one of your two floats touches the water surface before the other one, wouldn't there be a serious drag and reduction of speed on that one side of the airplane, slowing down that wing and speeding up the other wing, creating additional lift on the other wing, so the side that is still airborne will go up even higher, and in unfavorable circumstances make the plane flip? I know this is hardly a problem on wheeled airplanes landing on land, but for example on the glider we have to take extra care not to touch the ground with a wingtip while still at high speed, or especially at take-off when being towed, because it would slow down one wing, accelerate the other, and the extra lift on the faster wing will only make matters worse, potentially flipping the plane around.

I'd be very interested to hear the answer from you.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

CrimsonNL

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Congratulations and typing cant express my jealousy! Keep it floating! (Or flying)
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

DiamondFlyer

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 10):
When one of your two floats touches the water surface before the other one, wouldn't there be a serious drag and reduction of speed on that one side of the airplane, slowing down that wing and speeding up the other wing, creating additional lift on the other wing, so the side that is still airborne will go up even higher, and in unfavorable circumstances make the plane flip? I know this is hardly a problem on wheeled airplanes landing on land, but for example on the glider we have to take extra care not to touch the ground with a wingtip while still at high speed, or especially at take-off when being towed, because it would slow down one wing, accelerate the other, and the extra lift on the faster wing will only make matters worse, potentially flipping the plane around.

I don't think I ever really thought of that, while I was working on my initial float rating. It seemed that on landing, you always try to put both in the water at the same time. And, unlike a plane with wheels, you can land with no crosswind (lake/river size permitting). I suppose what you said is physically possible, but I just don't remember it happening. Perhaps someone more familiar with float ops can chime in.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:19 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 10):

Yes, landing straight is very important. A lot of bush pilot have been killed because if this. Trying to crab on approach or touching one float down first usually puts you in a unwanted situation. One example I could think of is if you hit a jump on skis or roller blades then tried to land sideways it would usually end up bad. However when taking off getting one float airborne first to reduce water-float drag is another story.

Cal  airplane 

vaporlock

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Thread starter):
Hey, the other day I acquired enough hours for my float plane conversion. I can now land on both land and water!

Here's a picture of the ol' girl I trained on.

Cal, COGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

OMG.... that is so fantastic - a dream come true I'm sure and I know how hard you've worked to get to where you are!!!! What a beautiful ride!!!!

I am so proud of you and I know how good it must feel - I grew up Bush Flying in Elliot Lake and Chapleau it is the best!!!

Vaporlock  bouncy