Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Hawaiian763
Topic Author

Canadian's, Get Ready For An Election

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:12 am

Looks like the Liberals are fed up with the Conservatives and want them out

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...9/01/ignatieff-liberals090109.html

To be honest, if the Liberals think they can win and bring down the conservatives, they are thinking pretty big. I predict Majority for Prime Minister Harper and the Conservatives

Phoenix9

RE: Canadian's, Get Ready For An Election

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 am

Quoting Hawaiian763 (Thread starter):
I predict Majority for Prime Minister Harper and the Conservatives

That is probably what will end up happening. AFAIK people are sick of elections every 1-2 years with a minority government. Just imagine how much taxpayer's money will be wasted if we end up having another set of elections.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

yooyoo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am

oh great another $300,000,000 for an election, just what we need.  sarcastic 

I wouldn't mind that, but i doubt it.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

futurepilot16

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 am

It's the craziest thing, but I never really thought about a Canadian election before. Come to think of it I never even heard of one on the news. Does anyone think the U.S. ignores Canada a lot?
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

AF340

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:49 am

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 3):

We have so many, even we forget about them...

Ignatieff is being an absolute moron if he triggers an election. Hopefully, if we do have one, Harper will get a majority.

Arghhhhh

Liam

evomutant

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 am

I get bored of these. I live in Calgary Southwest- Harper's seat. Which makes it very dull, because it is as safe as possible, and we never see him.

Nationally, i think we are in for more of the same. An increased Conservative presence, but still a minority government.

Hawaiian763
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:04 am

It's been Conservative in my riding of Crowfoot for over the last 10 years and I never see our MP. The three amigos of the opposition (Ignatieff, Layton and Duceppe) would be smart not to trigger an election if they don't want to lose anymore seats.

Phoenix9

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Ignatieff is being an absolute moron if he triggers an election.

Well he made it pretty clear today. The Toronto Star even went as far as saying that we might have an election as early as November.

If it does go through it would be a 4th election in 5 yrs  banghead   banghead  and probably drag us into a deeper deficit.

IHadAPheo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:09 am

It's the craziest thing, but I never really thought about a Canadian election before. Come to think of it I never even heard of one on the news. Does anyone think the U.S. ignores Canada a lot?

From my childhood in the 60"s-70's I can remember watching the Canadian election news from on, CBLT, CFTO, and CHCH. In the 80's I spent a good deal of time discussing Canadian politics. Ah the fun of having a party with PCs, Liberals and NDP supporters. I always enjoyed those times and remember the time spent with friends fondly

I feel a bit embarrassed to be in a border town and not to have kept myself 100% up to speed on Canadian politics. I will have to start reading the Toronto and other Canadian papers in greater detail to get fully back in the swing of things

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

LTU932

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:54 am

Perhaps you should consider installing a vote of no-confidence like we have it in Germany. The opposition MP requests the vote and if the incumbent loses, then the opposition MP who requested the vote, takes over, thus no extra election required.  Wink

Seriously though, it sounds like Canada currently has political conditions similar to those in Italy in the 90's, when the Prime Minister came as quickly as they left.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

czbbflier

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:07 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
Perhaps you should consider installing a vote of no-confidence like we have it in Germany. The opposition MP requests the vote and if the incumbent loses, then the opposition MP who requested the vote, takes over, thus no extra election required.

Indeed, that is what we have. However, for an opposition to take over, it has to be in a position to govern; that is to say, hold a majority. This has proven impossible in the past.

The other sticking point is that for the process to play out like this would most likely cause a constitutional crisis, which would be played out in the subsequent election once the Opposition coalition fell apart. This happened between William Lyon Mackenzie King and Lord Byng in 1925. (Suggested Reading)

Hence, we simply cut to the chase and hold an election.

Now- if only there were a place for the voter to place an "X" beside "NONE OF THE ABOVE".

NOTA would win the election, hands down!

LTU932

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:41 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 10):
Indeed, that is what we have. However, for an opposition to take over, it has to be in a position to govern; that is to say, hold a majority. This has proven impossible in the past.

In the case of Germany, if a vote of no-confidence is made and the opposition candidate becomes the next Chancellor, minority governments are indeed possible (see when Helmut Schmidt lost a vote of no-confidence against Helmut Kohl, and Kohl became chancellor in a conservative-libertarian minority coalition government). While I don't endorse minority governments, it does at least provide for better continuity.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

TheCol

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am

Ignatieff is full of crap. The Liberal's are desperate to get some positive press, and this is the only real way to do it. Ignatieff will pussy out like he did the last time. Even if he is stupid enough to force a confidence vote, Layton has made it pretty clear that he thinks it would be a stupid move at this point. That would leave the Liberals up the creek.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

connies4ever

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 am

To be honest, if the Liberals think they can win and bring down the conservatives, they are thinking pretty big. I predict Majority for Prime Minister Harper and the Conservatives

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Ignatieff is being an absolute moron if he triggers an election. Hopefully, if we do have one, Harper will get a majority.

Agree on both the above. Not sure about the majority, but I don't think Harper will be worse off than now. Someone speak to Iggy and let's put off an election for at least a year.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

yooyoo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 8):
I will have to start reading the Toronto and other Canadian papers in greater detail to get fully back in the swing of things

Exciting stuff....good bedtime reading, you'll be on cloud 9  cloudnine  in about 2 minutes.  Wink

golfradio

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:53 pm

When Parliament resumes there is no way the Government can pass the vote of confidence unless both NDP and the Bloc support them. Iggy already having promised an election I think a fall election is more or less certain.

This time I am going to vote Conservative just to teach Iggy a lesson in humility.
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

A332

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

I have seen poll results on Canada's appetite for another election with up to 85% of respondents AGAINST another federal election. Surely, going to the polls will be a disaster for the Liberals which such opposition out there.

That said... all the Conservatives need are 10 more seats and they are in with a majority, and I believe it could happen this time. The West is locked up solid... Quebec & Atlantic Canada are pretty much a no-go... so Ontario will be the focus.

Once the dust settles, Mr. "Just Visiting" Ignatieff can slink his sorry ass back to the US.

Man.. the Liberals of today are pathetic. Jean Chretien must be getting dizzy.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

yooyoo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 16):
so Ontario will be the focus.

And Toronto will stay Red,......i'm still trying to figure that out.

A332

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 17):
And Toronto will stay Red,......i'm still trying to figure that out.

It will be interesting to see if the NDP truly stick by their current position of "WTF?" on the Liberals vow to topple the government.

Really, the only way the Liberals can bring it down is with the support of the NDP & Bloc... so if the trio go ahead with such a plan, all three parties stand to lose.

However, both Layton & Duceppe can gain support from a Liberal mishap... but the Liberals can't take down the Conservatives on their own either... so it's an interesting deck of cards...

We'll see how it all shapes up.

golfradio

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Wasn't there a move to rename the NDP? IIRC, the plan was to drop the N and just be called the Democratic Party  Yeah sure

Today morning the NDP strategist Paul Dewar was on CTV and I think NDP is pretty miffed with the Liberals for supporting the Government in spring. Would they go ahead and support the Government? I don't see the Bloc in anyway supporting a Federal Government anytime and that being said IMO the NDP will not risk it's image by supporting a Government that is going to fall in any case.

A332

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Quoting Golfradio (Reply 19):
IMO the NDP will not risk it's image by supporting a Government that is going to fall in any case.

Such a decision might come back to haunt the NDP... they won a few ridings in the 2008 election by small margins... seats that could fall into other hands.

Hard to say.

TheCol

Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 16):
Jean Chretien must be getting dizzy.

I think he's just thankful that he ain't rotting in a jail cell right now.

photopilot

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:00 am

There simply isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. The Conservatives (ne: Reform Party in Drag) is almost out of sight in Quebec, and like it or not, if you can't win the Province of Quebec, you can't form a majority Gov't in Canada.

According to the Leger Poll, the Liberals' fortunes in Québec have been steadily rising since Michael Ignatieff became leader, replacing his unpopular predecessor Stéphane Dion. Today, Leger Marketing has released a poll of federal voting intentions in Québec confirming the trend. The poll puts the Liberals at the front of the pack with 37% among decided voters, followed by the the Bloc at 33%, NPD at 14%, Conservatives at 13%, and the Green Party at 3%.

Since the last election, these are how the various parties are faring. As you can see, Liberals are clearly up while PC's are way down.

Liberals +56.1%
Bloc -13.4%
NDP +14.8%
Conservatives -40.1%
Green -14.2%

jcs17

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:38 am

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 8):

I feel a bit embarrassed to be in a border town and not to have kept myself 100% up to speed on Canadian politics. I will have to start reading the Toronto and other Canadian papers in greater detail to get fully back in the swing of things

Being in Buffalo, unless you have a dish, you should get CBC on cable (or easily through the air).
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

AF340

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 22):
Since the last election, these are how the various parties are faring. As you can see, Liberals are clearly up while PC's are way down.

Liberals 56.1%
Bloc -13.4%
NDP 14.8%
Conservatives -40.1%
Green -14.2%

Is this just in Quebec? Because if it isn't, where on earth are you getting those numbers? I want to see a source here.

Of course there's the Ipsos-Reid poll* suggesting that the Tories have a huge lead on the Grits:

CPC = 39%
LPC = 28%
NDP = 14%

*http://www.vancouversun.com/Harper+Tories+open+lead+over+Liberals+Poll/1923723/story.html

Liam

rikkus67

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 10):
Now- if only there were a place for the voter to place an "X" beside "NONE OF THE ABOVE".

NOTA would win the election, hands down!

I was a Conservative at one point, long ago I switched to Liberal, now I can't stand that either. I actually like Layton, but not an NDP supporter. Green....maybe in 50 years, if they ever get traction. Bloc? Well if they didn't want to succeed (sp)...

Crap, I am thinking that the NOTA party is looking pretty good right now.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

offloaded

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:16 am

Quoting Golfradio (Reply 19):
NDP will not risk it's image

Has that image improved lately or are they still the same clowns that nearly bankrupted BC in the 90's? On a national scale I respected Ed Broadbent as a person, but not his politics.

Any movement on the Triple E Senate, or did that idea die off?
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

A332

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:08 pm

There simply isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. The Conservatives (ne: Reform Party in Drag) is almost out of sight in Quebec, and like it or not, if you can't win the Province of Quebec, you can't form a majority Gov't in Canada.

Not necessarily. The Conservatives only need to swing a dozen plus seats outside of Quebec to grab a majority. Unlikely it will happen this time around, but the notion that one needs to win Quebec to grab a majority isn't 100% true.

The reality of Canadian politics is that we are one fractured country. The West votes Conservative, the Atlantic provinces and urban areas of Ontario & Quebec vote Liberal, downtown Toronto/Winnipeg/Vancouver get the Dipper votes and Quebec votes for the Bloc.

Quoting Rikkus67 (Reply 25):
I was a Conservative at one point, long ago I switched to Liberal, now I can't stand that either.

I was the opposite. I actually liked Jean Chretien's Liberals, but once he became stale and all the corruption bubbled to the surface, that was it for me. Now the Liberals are infested by disenfranchised Dippers and elitists who believe that their party has the God-given right to govern by default.

I vote Conservative because there's no other choice for anyone who leans right. All the other parties cater to the different segments of the Canadian left. That said, the Liberals don't even have a platform to offer... their platform is just smoke & mirrors... the whole 'we can do better, but we won't tell you how' BS.

Quoting Offloaded (Reply 26):
Has that image improved lately or are they still the same clowns that nearly bankrupted BC in the 90's?

Same clowns. The provincial branches of the NDP party are tied into the federal party, where your provincial membership automatically makes you a member of the federal NDP (except Quebec).

The Liberal dominated Senate won't embrace the Conservatives plans for Senate reform (surprise surprise!), so Harper has been filling the vacant senate seats with reformist Conservatives so that eventually the Senate reform can occur (ideally anyway).

People in Canada seem to be a little daft when it comes to this issue... all the left can do is claim they want senate reform/abolishment and then cry foul when Harper appoints new senators, doing so because he has no other choice than to balance the upper chamber.

That's Canada for you. The Liberals are the only party that can ever be in control, and as such, never do a thing wrong.  sarcastic 

Hawaiian763
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:43 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 27):
The Liberals are the only party that can ever be in control, and as such, never do a thing wrong.

Back maybe when Jean Chretien was in power, but with so many bad party leaders (Paul Martin, Dion and Ignatieff) the Liberals have proven to Canadians that they can't run the country without running the country into a deeper deficit or raising our taxes. The NDP are just an embarrassment when it comes to National Parties and the Bloc's only hot spot is Quebec. The Conservatives have shown to the people that they mean business, but the only thing preventing them from getting things down is the other parties and the only way things are going to get down in this country is if they get a Majority.

StarAC17

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:09 am

I get and watch all 3 major US cable networks and they pretty much ignore all foreign events such as this unless its an election in country like Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.

Not Happening, if Harper couldn't get one with Dion as his opponent he is not getting one with Iggy as is rival.

Quoting Evomutant (Reply 5):
Nationally, i think we are in for more of the same. An increased Conservative presence, but still a minority government.

If that happens then I think Harper needs to be shown the door as leader of the Conservative party because this will be his 4th election.

For the record if we get yet another election, I am not voting in this one!!
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

AF340

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:03 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 29):

Go, but rip up your ballot. That means more than simply not attending.

Liam

Phoenix9

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 am

I am sure you are not the only one who feels this way. What was the voter turn around for the last elections? Something like 55% wasn't it? I bet this time we won't even pass that number.

WrenchBender

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:10 am

Everyone slow down a bit, take a look back at the last few years. We have had the most RESPONSIBLE government in 20 years. With a minority they HAVE to talk to each other, they HAVE to work with each other to get anything to happen.

Iggy is stupid if he thinks pushing the election button will work for him, people do not want to go to the polls again. If he wants to win power he has to let the Cons fail at the economy first.

Whether you are a Lib or a Con but the bullshit party stuff aside and take a look at what is actually happening in Canada.
The Conservative Party of Canada is probably the most centrist leaning they have ever been under any name.
The Libs are proving they are a failed party grasping like a drowning man to find a leader that might work.
The NDP who knows, until they dump the slimey used car salesman of a leader and get some class back I don't think they stand a chance.
The BQ are a regional power only and will never progress beyond that unless they merge with the Libs a la Reform/Cons did.
Greens could get a few seats but they need to actually find a platform that will sell(show us how to go green, don't just tell us to do it).

I will hope for no change from the current if there is a fall call to the ballot.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

lnglive1011yyz

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:18 am

The Liberals sure now how to waste taxpayer money don't they? It's actually unbelievable.

I say Conservatives unite, and lets finally get a majority gov't, and shut the other idiots up for a few years.

- A Tired-of-bullcrap taxpayer.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

TheCol

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:11 am

Unfortunately, there is 3 problems with the planned Senate reform:

1. Highly unlikely to pass in the Commons with a minority government.
2. The Senate is dominated by the Liberals.
3. There is too much apathy amongst Canadians on the issue, so the other parties have no motivation to cooperate.

If we do go to the polls, I think this could be a major selling point for the Conservatives. The Liberal majority in the Senate, along with the money we pay them to sit around, could turn out to be a negative issue for the Liberals. Maybe Canadians would finally get off the fence and warm up to the idea of Senate reform.

Has that image improved lately or are they still the same clowns that nearly bankrupted BC in the 90's?

If anything, their image has gotten worse. The NDP is almost like a fringe element now.

Not Happening, if Harper couldn't get one with Dion as his opponent he is not getting one with Iggy as is rival.

Iggy doesn't have a great image either. People see him as an egotistical opportunist, that would fit in just as well with the Conservatives as he does with the Liberals. That image would be further exemplified by forcing an election at this point and time. His plan to raise taxes isn't going to sit well. Plus, everyone knows that he's still infighting with Bob Rae and the likes.

golfradio

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 pm

For the past 4 elections I have been voting for the Green party. As previously mentioned there are no NOTA candidates running in my riding and I had to vote for someone.

I cannot believe that in a country that has contributed so much in diverse fields such as Space, Medicine and Technology, we have been unable to find even a single decent leader in the last so many years. I am really disappointed in the candidates we have to choose from.

Plato was right when he said "Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber."

A332

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:25 pm

It has less to do with Ignatieff as the Liberal leader and more to do with the left-leaning tendences of urban Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces. As long as these folk view the Conservatives as 'evil, creepy & scary', this will be the situation.

If that happens then I think Harper needs to be shown the door as leader of the Conservative party because this will be his 4th election.

Agreed. Harper will be finished as the leader of the CPC should he fail to grab a majority or even hold on to the 143 seats they currently have. Any losses from the status quo will surely eliminate him as party leader.

Might not be a bad thing either, though I still think he's doing a good job and I support him.

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 32):
The Libs are proving they are a failed party grasping like a drowning man to find a leader that might work.

checkmark  I couldn't have said it any better myself. Very true.

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 33):
The Liberals sure now how to waste taxpayer money don't they? It's actually unbelievable.

I say Conservatives unite, and lets finally get a majority gov't, and shut the other idiots up for a few years.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  Indeed!

Quoting TheCol (Reply 34):
The NDP is almost like a fringe element now.

It has gone from a somewhat credible political party (a la Ed Broadbent) with a respectable platform & position in Canadian politics to a far-left fringe party comprised of die-hard unionists, socialists, eco-terrorists and other useless douchebags in general.

His plan to raise taxes isn't going to sit well.

Wait a minute... Iggy just said he was going to eliminate the deficit WITHOUT raising taxes... and just recently, he also said he would not cut transfers to the provinces either...

So... that means he's got a magic, cash-producing wand in his back pocket that we have yet to learn about... I suppose that's what we are to "wait & see" about!  Wink

skyservice_330

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Unfortunately, there is 3 problems with the planned Senate reform:

1. Highly unlikely to pass in the Commons with a minority government.
2. The Senate is dominated by the Liberals.
3. There is too much apathy amongst Canadians on the issue, so the other parties have no motivation to cooperate.

I'd add a fourth: The provinces. Harper's 'tinkering around edge of the constitution' strategy on Senate reform has gotten the attention of at least a few provinces who have said they may take the feds to the Supreme Court to test the constitutional validity of these types of legislative reforms.

It is extremely difficult to bring substantive change to the Senate without amending the constitution and I would argue that there is little appetite for constitutional discussions at this time among the public or the politicians.

skyservice_330

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Based on? The polls are all over the place and most indicate that Parliament would look very similar to what it looks like today.

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Ignatieff is being an absolute moron if he triggers an election

Agreed. Canadians have no appetite for an election right now- they will either stay home or punish those they see as being responsible for calling one.

I live in Calgary Southwest- Harper's seat. Which makes it very dull, because it is as safe as possible, and we never see him.

It's been Conservative in my riding of Crowfoot for over the last 10 years and I never see our MP

It sounds like the Conservatives have some work to do at the constituency level. Running government may keep you busy, but never forget the people that sent you there, or become inaccessible/invisible to them.

Quoting A332 (Reply 16):
The West is locked up solid... Quebec & Atlantic Canada are pretty much a no-go... so Ontario will be the focus.

For the most part I agree with your analysis. Ontario is definitely going to be of focus, in particular the 905 and SW Ontario. The Libs lost a few of these ridings in 2008 because many Liberal supporters stayed home because of Dion. It will be interesting to see if they can win them back or if the Conservatives are going to solidify their entry into Southern Ontario. Also, those voters who may have voted Conservative last time because they say Dion as too left may be pulled back as Ignatieff pulls the party back towards the centre-right.

The Conservatives (ne: Reform Party in Drag) is almost out of sight in Quebec

Almost? The Conservatives have all but imploded in Quebec.

if you can't win the Province of Quebec, you can't form a majority Gov't in Canada.

I wouldn't go that far, but it makes it MUCH more difficult to do so.

if Harper couldn't get one with Dion as his opponent he is not getting one with Iggy as is rival.

Agreed

Quoting A332 (Reply 16):
Man.. the Liberals of today are pathetic.

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 32):

I have said it before, and I will say it again- the Libs are down and have their share of problems, but they are certainly not out. The Liberal Party of Canada and its associated electoral machine is one of the most successful in the Western world. They are hardly a failed party.

StarAC17

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:23 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 30):

Go, but rip up your ballot. That means more than simply not attending.

Good point, I forgot about decling your ballot and it can get me 3 hours off work  Wink.

Quoting Golfradio (Reply 35):

For the past 4 elections I have been voting for the Green party. As previously mentioned there are no NOTA candidates running in my riding and I had to vote for someone.

I might vote for the pot err Marc Emery party for kicks, if they have a candidate in my riding.

[Edited 2009-09-04 17:24:29]
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Hawaiian763
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:05 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 36):
Wait a minute... Iggy just said he was going to eliminate the deficit WITHOUT raising taxes...

How on earth is that even possible, where will he get the money from? He'll probably cutback many programs so he can eliminate the deficit.

vaporlock

Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Looks like the Liberals are fed up with the Conservatives and want them out

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 2):
oh great another $300,000,000 for an election, just what we need

Oh dam!!! Once again - may the best liar win!!!!

Vaps

golfradio

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:54 pm

I heard a rumor that the vote on the bill for the home reno tax credit will be the one the Liberals are going to use to force an election. Anybody else hear that?

If they kill that tax credit, the Liberals are in for a very rude shock. As like countless others I have spent a chunk of money on renos too. Everybody is going to be mightily pissed if this were to happen.

AF340

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 am

Quoting Golfradio (Reply 42):
If they kill that tax credit, the Liberals are in for a very rude shock. As like countless others I have spent a chunk of money on renos too. Everybody is going to be mightily pissed if this were to happen.

It can't happen. Although the vote is going to occur, the CRA will still continue on with the program because it was added into the accepted budget back in early 2009. Quite frankly this vote means nothing, other than a sort of rubber stamp.

Don't worry, you will still get the tax credit!

Liam

A332

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:33 am

Recent polls show that Ignatieff's support has dipped in addition to his popularity, a result of his recent election mongering.

Certainly, this could (and hopefully will) result in a big loss for the Liberals should they forge ahead with their plan of taking down the government.

AF340

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Duceppe to the rescue!

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090915-713644.html

Never thought I'd say that...

Liam

Phoenix9

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Ignatieff seems to have run his course. The way this has come to bite him in the butt, I won't be surprised if the Liberals ask him to resign (which he probably would spin to - I did it for the country BS)

yooyoo

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 45):
Duceppe to the rescue!

Rent a Party to the rescue!!

A346Dude

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:30 am

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 41):
Oh dam!!! Once again - may the best liar win!!!!

The competition gets stronger every year. Get ready for some impressive performances this year since they don't have any real issues to pretend to care about.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

TheCol

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:42 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 45):

Layton has also said his party will probably support the government on the budget vote.

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 46):
I won't be surprised if the Liberals ask him to resign

That would be interesting. I can't think of any decent Liberal candidates left to lead the party.