AF340

RE: Top 10 Things That Get On Your Wick!

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:56 pm

Let's see... in no particular order:

1) Pilots who extend their downwind in the circuit for NO reason.
2) Pilots who don't exit on the nearest taxi way when I am over the numbers ready to land
3) Pilots who CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) Drivers sitting in the passing lane
5) Drivers who use the HOV lane as a passing lane
6) Drivers who don't thank you after you let them in
7) Hippies, environmentalists and other jerkas*es
8) 24-hour news networks
9) Cyclists
10) Stupid Pedestrians

Liam

a380us

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):
Girls who, suck at keeping in touch, and, after confessing that they supposedly have a huge crush on you, disappear out of the blue for a weekend with no warning when you were supposed to hang out and go on a date.

Exactly!
or there like we should definatley keep in touch, but then dont answer you?

What about people who go really slow but dont even stop for stop signs just because your an experienced/ old driver doesnt mean you wont have an accident.
www.JandACosmetics.com

fr8mech

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:06 am

My main pet peeves:

- grammar/spelling. Christ, we're all human and make mistakes, but at least make an effort.

- people who are late. I made the effort to be there on time, so can you.

- strangers that strike up conversations because they're bored or scared or anxious or whatever. I try to be nice, but I really don't care that you're waiting to see the doctor because XXXXXXX or that this is your first flight or whatever.

- bicyclists who roam the streets in packs ignoring traffic rules and other traffic. Please, I like to ride my bike, but, the rules apply to you.

- those who can't speak English AND expect me to understand them. You don't want to learn English? Fine, deal with the consequences.

- those who assume that because I have kids, and love them and enjoy them, I should show the same exuberance about the fruit of their loins.

Quoting Baexecutive (Thread starter):
7. People that pretend to live in my neighbourhood by walking on the same side of the road as me (its a nice one) then blatantly cross over the road and double back on themselves to there own neighbourhood which is like scumbagville central.

What, exactly does this mean?

9. People at nice restaurants that ask for a student discount then step into a BMW M6

If they're eligible, why not?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
-When people turn on reading lights on night flights. I like a dark cabin so I can sleep. Isn't that why it's called a "red eye" flight?

Last time that happened to me, I turned on the light next to me. Deal with it. Your need to sleep on an airplane does not impinge on my desire to read on an airplane.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

n229nw

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 am

Jeez people! Take some chill pills or you'll all have heart attacks next year.

Quoting Wolverine (Reply 41):
crying babies

Babies cry...

-When people turn on reading lights on night flights. I like a dark cabin so I can sleep. Isn't that why it's called a "red eye" flight?

Some of us can't sleep on planes. I'm not going to sit there in the dark for 7 hours when I could work or do something, just because you are light-sensitive and didn't pack a blindfold or don't want to wear one...

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 16):
Cussing

They are just words. You don't have to cuss, but other people doing it won't be the end of the world...

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 18):
People chewing gum.

!! Of course can be done impolitely, and isn't professional in meetings, etc. But it is a pretty harmless habit generally.

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 19):
the amount of foreigners that come to my country, usually from African states that we used to run

Slightly disturbing wording...

Quoting Flood (Reply 24):
When people can't distinguish between "your" and "you're" or "their" and "they're". Particularly when English is their native language.

Was that a jab at the opening post (where every their is spelled there and every you're is spelled your)? Still not worth getting too worked up about...

Sluts.

Does that apply to males as well, or is it only women who aren't supposed to sleep around?

Quoting Comorin (Reply 32):
It's the most tedious thing and mods should just ban Politics and Religion.

Just don't open the threads then? For some people it is interesting and/or entertaining. Though I agree that people seldom seem to change their minds, I think it gives some barometer of beliefs in each country and around the world to watch such debates on an international forum. And furthermore, people sometimes have a good think later even if they don't initially take an opposing viewpoint seriously...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Superfly

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 53):
Jeez people! Take some chill pills or you'll all have heart attacks next year.

Who said that these things are driving them to the point of rage?
The OP was asking what get's on our nerves and many of us listed those things.
Most of us just deal with it and don't complain. Just because someone typed out their gripes doesn't mean that we are all pulling our hair out over this.

Quoting N229NW (Reply 53):
Some of us can't sleep on planes. I'm not going to sit there in the dark for 7 hours when I could work or do something, just because you are light-sensitive and didn't pack a blindfold or don't want to wear one...

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 52):
Your need to sleep on an airplane does not impinge on my desire to read on an airplane.

Well I guess we can't be friends.  crying 
Bring back the Concorde

n229nw

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:54 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 54):
Who said that these things are driving them to the point of rage?
The OP was asking what get's on our nerves and many of us listed those things.
Most of us just deal with it and don't complain. Just because someone typed out their gripes doesn't mean that we are all pulling our hair out over this.

I saw your eyelid twitching as you typed that...  wink 

For real though, some people do seem to be annoyed by EVERYTHING.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Superfly

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:20 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 55):
I saw your eyelid twitching as you typed that...

Nah, wasn't twitching over that. However my eyelid WAS twitching over the garage space issue!  hissyfit 
I think one has to be retarded to use their garage space to store junk when they live in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the USA. On top of that, these people complain about parking. That is just nuts!
Bring back the Concorde

WestJetForLife

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:00 am

The sole thing that annoys me is as follows:

Negativity. It's alright to have a negative outlook on certain things sometimes, but to be pessimistic about your entire future is just absurd. One of my friends (he's 17) always bitches about the same damn three things:

"Oh, I don't have a job, I don't have a girlfriend, all of my friends ditched me and moved away. Why does my life SUCK?"

1. Job: go out of your comfort zone, print out a few resumes and apply EVERYWHERE. If you don't have a car, there's always Calgary Transit (even though it's...less than appealing, it's better than walking).

2. Girlfriend: Okay, I can understand you're lonely and you want someone to love, but for God's sake, you're 17. 17-year-olds think it's the "greatest thing" to be in love, but for the love of Christ, stop worrying about it. You're still young. You have 60 years ahead of you, so just stop...worrying...about...girls.

3. Friends ditching: Okay, granted, this sucks, especially when 90% of the people we both knew in high school moved far away to pursue school/work. This, I understand fully. However, you can't just pine over the people you lost because they made a decision that eventually forced them to move away. Get a hobby, do something you enjoy and go out there and MAKE NEW FRIENDS. There are 6.5 billion people on Earth. Go out and meet them.

I guess if people just take off the blinders and realize that life is worth living, then that's a good thing. However, if they're stubborn and stupid (like aforementioned 'friend'), then fine, be that way. Just don't expect me to listen anymore.

Nik
I need a drink.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:39 am

Some of my pet peeves:

1) People who lie to you, and make it blatantly obvious.

2) People who think the speed limit is a suggestion, and that they shouldn't get a ticket for doing more than it. (Yes, I speed, but with the full knowledge that I could get pulled over for doing so).

3) People who say they'll call you back and don't.

4) People who say they'll do things by a certain time and then don't.

5) People who feel the need to hide things

6) People who think "Ebonics" is a language and who get upset when I don't understand them.

7) People who haven't realized that Civil War is over.

8) People who think the Earth is only 4,000 years old.

9) People who say "Your team sucks!" right after yours beats theirs or your team wins the championship. What does that make your team then?

10) Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, & Dallas Cowboys Fans.  duck   wink  JUST KIDDING  biggrin 

Excessive wealth. I'm all for capitalism, but somewhere along the way it just gets ridiculous and quite disgusting, really. Case in point, when you order your private A380 "flying palace".

If you had the money to turn your own private A380 into a "Flying Palace", you wouldn't be whining about rich people.

grammar/spelling. Christ, we're all human and make mistakes, but at least make an effort.

"You're" is not "Your" and They're/There/Their are two of the most common. My favorite is when someone types out "Your Retarded".  rotfl 

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 35):
Too bad you couldn't have their luggage re-routed somewhere....like Morocco.

United just steals the contents right out of your bag (well, the valuable ones) and then sends the rest of the bag on its way.  mad 

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 3):
2. People who tailgate. I'm going as fast as the car in front of me is letting me, so get off of my bumper.

rotfl  I think this is the first time we've agreed on anything on this forum. Tailgaters earn not a brake check, but a "Downshift" check from me.  biggrin 

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 17):
3. People with a severe lack of manners. Please, thank you, may I, and excuse me seem to be foreign languages these days.

Yes, I've gotten that feeling too. A simple "Thank You" is too much for some people these days.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Superfly

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:57 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 58):
10) Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, & Dallas Cowboys Fans.

checkmark 
I agree with that!
...and I am not a big sports fan either.
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 59):
I agree with that!
...and I am not a big sports fan either.

One more reason I have you on the RU List 'Fly.  biggrin 

DocLightning

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:03 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):

Girls who, suck at keeping in touch, and, after confessing that they supposedly have a huge crush on you, disappear out of the blue for a weekend with no warning when you were supposed to hang out and go on a date.

That's called "getting stood up for a date."

Unless you have a really good excuse, those people go on my list. And they don't get a second or third strike.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:10 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
Unless you have a really good excuse, those people go on my list. And they don't get a second or third strike.

"I forgot" isn't a good excuse, either. That doesn't even fly with friends for me, yet alone dates. "I forgot" means "You're not important enough to remember" in my book.

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:44 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):

Yeah I follow that rule too, but it turns out it was a misunderstanding. Seems like things are going steady now.  Smile

But the pessimist in me says that won't last forever  Yeah sure

seb146

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:08 am

There are a couple other things that grind my gears that I came face to face with today:

1. People who walk and text. They run into people and don't even realize nor seem to care.

2. People who give me a mean look when I step out of line when I am on the phone or I step to the side when replying to a text.

3. People on the bus or train so wrapped up in their phone (text or voice) that they miss their stop then blame the driver and everyone else onboard.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

mwhcvt

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 am

1) Drivers that have a "Baby on Board" or similar in the back window of their card and then proceed to drive stupidly, dangerously or plain badly.

2) People that overtake you then 100 yards/metres further down the road pull up, park or turn off.

3) People that when you go to overtake them accelerator.

4) People that complain over fee and charges that they have received on there credit card.

5) People that are rude when they call up or send an email to my company ref their credit card.

6) People that ask "Why have I been charged a Late Payment Fee?" this is a question I answer 10 times a night, I mean honestly are people that f*&$ing dumb

7) People that expect the rules to be broken for them, again a work one

8) If I say I cannot do something please accept it and not piss and moan about it, If I could do it I would have because that would have got you off my phone so I can carry on Printing copy statement for customers and answering your 100's of emails

9) I work in a customer service call centre, this doesn't make me thick or subhuman so please don't talk to me like I am. Best one so far is a lady that called me a "Sexist, Racist Bastard" I'm sorry you use the card and not pay it off you will pay interest.

10) ATM withdrawal, Foreign Currency Purchase, Gambling etc are all cash advances just because the company you made the transaction with didn't let you know this may be charged it is in your terms and conditions, please don't argue with me.

I know that most of these are work related but honestly my life outside off work is relatively stress and annoyance free
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

ShyFlyer

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:22 am

Had a nice, quiet day, so I had some time to think of some more things that irk my zirk:

When I can't have my solitude. No, I'm not a hermit, I just need time alone to decompress from daily life as an introvert. Few people understand this.

Vague/useless advice. When I was looking for work, I'd occasionally be asked for updates on how my search was going. When I responded that I hadn't found anything, I'd hear "Well, keep trying." Really, I would have never thought of that on my own.  Yeah sure

Another example of this is my parents. I recently bought an RV and when I told my parents, the first thing they said was, "You should have waited." Waited for what? They never could come up with anything other than "Well, you never know." How is that useful advice, especially when I didn't seek any?
I lift things up and put them down.

FX772LRF

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:44 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 64):
1. People who walk and text. They run into people and don't even realize nor seem to care.

I can text without looking, so it wasn't me you ran into. Big grin

Man, you guys have come up with some good points. People are arses. I think we all are too in our own way. It just happens.  Silly

-Noah  wave 
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

ferengi80

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:02 pm

I get really ticked off by people complaining about the use of a reading light! I avoid night flight where possible anyways, but sometimes they are unavoidable. And I cannot sleep on an aeroplane! I cannot sleep while travelling at all. So I pass the time by either watching whatever is on the television, or by reading. If you want total darkness, wear an eye mask!!!

Bad manners really annoy me. It doesn't take a second to say please and thank you, and makes people a lot happier.

Another one I get really pissed off about is people driving too slow on the Motorway. All the other traffic is trundelling along at a perfectly acceptable 70-75mph, and you get the odd car doing less than 50mph. Totally ridiculous, and a damn sight more dangerous than speeding!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

fr8mech

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 54):
Well I guess we can't be friends

Only on a night flight when I want to read and you want to sleep.

cpd

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:42 pm

1. People being loud on the train (eg, loud phone call, noisy phone ring tone or loud MP3 player) when others are trying to sleep.

2. Those fuel stations that are also supermarkets - if you are in a hurry to get going again. To quote James May who put it so well - "nobody coming out of that place owns that Fiesta" and, the problem with these things is that "people go in and spend hours buying bloody bananas and croissants and others things you don't need" - "that's it, get in the car, don't worry about the hand-bag." Well, you get the point.  Wink

3. Lorries overtaking each other on hills - it should be banned! Grrrr - nobody else can go past them, and of course, the overtaking one runs out of steam and can't go past the other one, so they both go side by side. Argh god above!

4. People being needlessly grumpy. We are all on this world together, so we can at least be nice to each other. Simple thank-you, good morning, etc.

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 65):
2) People that overtake you then 100 yards/metres further down the road pull up, park or turn off.

Yes, yes,yes! Absolutely - what's the point - you did all that rush just to turn left. Even better when they chop across 3 fast moving lanes to make the turn (eg, motorway exit).

5. Bicycle couriers chopping and swerving violently across pedestrian thoroughfares in peak hour rush conditions. Really irritating.

6. Contra-flows with stupidly low speed limits enforced by millions of speed cameras - and - NO ONE WORKING!

7. Journalists that rush at you with cameras, flashes and microphones. Firstly, I can't see anything because you are blinding me with your camera flahes, two, I can't hear your questions because you are all shouting over each other, and three - talk to the media relations people instead.

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:43 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 66):

When I can't have my solitude. No, I'm not a hermit, I just need time alone to decompress from daily life as an introvert. Few people understand this.

Count me as one of the few. I need my space too.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 66):

Vague/useless advice. When I was looking for work, I'd occasionally be asked for updates on how my search was going. When I responded that I hadn't found anything, I'd hear "Well, keep trying." Really, I would have never thought of that on my own.

Awww man another one I've been getting a lot lately. I've nearly hurt people because I've been hearing this so much. Even when I clearly mention I've been searching for a flying job for well over 6 months and nothing has turned up and even after mentioning all my pilot friends are in the exact same boat somebody always has to say "o well you're not looking hard enough" or "there has to be something somewhere". I'm like NO SHIT SHERLOCK if there truly was something I'd have a job already don't you think!?!?  banghead   banghead   banghead 

fr8mech

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Have you folks noticed that a substantial amount of theses peeves have to do with driving?

Let me lay on a small piece of, hopefully not vague and useless, advice:

I'd hazard that just about everyone on this board considers themselves a good to excellent to even suberb driver. Let me be the first to bust that bubble. We are, for the most part, average drivers. Just average. Nothing special about us on the road.

Those who have had some training (police, fire, ems, etc.) have an edge on the rest. But, if you were truly a superb or superior driver, that is how you should be making your living. Because, there aren't many things that we can be superb at and the superb should be paying the salary.

Maybe that's a good pet peeve. Those who claim they're great drivers when they are not, especially those 20-somethings that have been driving for 10 or so years. I was one of them, but with age, wisdom and experience, I've come to learn that the vast majority of drivers are...average at best.

seb146

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 72):
We are, for the most part, average drivers. Just average. Nothing special about us on the road.

YES! I know I am not a good driver. I keep up with traffic and stay in my lane. When I need to get around someone, I do my best. I am probably the one these people are all POd about!

I am getting my first experiences with toll plazas here. There are no such things in Oregon and Washington. What I notice is out of towners who ask the cahsiers for directions. Are you freakin' kidding me????? The toll is either $4 or $6 depending on which bridge it is. You have had a mile to get that amount ready. Pay it and ask for directions on the other side! Or, buy a map on the other side. Obviously, you need to go that way, anyway, so why hold up everyone else!?!?!?

Superfly

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:47 pm

Quoting Ferengi80 (Reply 68):
wear an eye mask!!!

Why are you using multiple exclamation (!!!) marks?
It's not that serious and you shouldn't get so worked up over my comments.
I already mentioned that eye mask are uncomfortable and I also mentioned that I never complain about it in-flight. We just deal with it.
Bring back the Concorde

7324ever

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm

1.)Twilight/vampire phenomenon
2.)The woman who writes twilight
3.)The director who thought twilight was a good idea
4.)Movie theaters that showed twilight
5.)The publisher of twilight
6.)Bookstores that sell twilight
7.)People who wear clothes referring to vampires and twilight'
8.)Girls that cult worship twilight
9.)People that have wet dreams over twilight
10.)Twilight
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

BAViscount

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 38):
"would of" doesnt mean anything

Oh I could add so many to that! I'll start with "alot"...it's "A LOT", TWO WORDS!!!

Similarly, I've noticed A LOT of people using "then" instead of "than" these days. Why on earth would you do that??

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 30):
1. When people fill up with petrol at those stations with a mini Tesco/M&S etc. and then start shopping while the car is parked at the pump. Ignorants.

Oh yes, I agree with that one! If you must insist on doing your weekly shop after you've filled up with petrol, pull into a parking space first and don't leave me sitting there like an idiot waiting for you to vacate the pump!!

7. People that pretend to live in my neighbourhood by walking on the same side of the road as me (its a nice one) then blatantly cross over the road and double back on themselves to there own neighbourhood which is like scumbagville central.

What, exactly does this mean?

Yeah, I was wondering that too!

OK, here's one of my own. I can't stand people who can't speak on their mobile/cell phone without becoming completely and utterly oblivious to what's going on around them. They become so wrapped up in their conversation that the world around them basically ceases to exist as far as they're concerned!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

seb146

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Quoting 7324ever (Reply 75):
1.)Twilight/vampire phenomenon

Oh, you have no idea, my friend...

That movie was filmed (partly) around where I used to live in Oregon. So, when the movie was released, seemingly every TV and radio station went gaga over the movie. We had to hear the history of the inn and the series and the actors. Then, came the DVD release party. Yes, hundreds of kids staying up until midnight at the Wal-Mart just to purchase their copies of the movie, at $20 a pop, pre-ordered. Now, the movie is going for $9.95. Sheesh.... Even I didn't make that big of a deal over Phantom...

7324ever

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:21 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 77):
Oh, you have no idea, my friend...

That movie was filmed (partly) around where I used to live in Oregon. So, when the movie was released, seemingly every TV and radio station went gaga over the movie. We had to hear the history of the inn and the series and the actors. Then, came the DVD release party. Yes, hundreds of kids staying up until midnight at the Wal-Mart just to purchase their copies of the movie, at $20 a pop, pre-ordered. Now, the movie is going for $9.95. Sheesh.... Even I didn't make that big of a deal over Phantom...

Wow I feel sorry for you!

My reason is the night twilight came out on DvD I went to the local town hang out in LAS called Town Square, It has the closest book store to my house I went to pick up a few books for fun and that was a big mistake. the store was flooded with girls between 8-16 all yelling and talking about twilight. It took 5 minutes to get to the aviation books when it normally takes 5 seconds. Well I hang out in the store looking at books and the clock hits 12... Every girl in the F**** store screamed at the top of their god dam lungs. Long story short I hate twilight.
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

af773atmsp

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 am

I hate Walmart and everything that is part of Walmart. I see their annoying commercials probably everyday! They try to send a message saying we support American families, but really they only care about profit, of course every company is like that, but it seems Walmart just has the most annoying commercials and is just full of BS. Since I live in Minnesota I support companies based in our state (Target). Walmart can burn in hell!
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

seb146

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Another thing that irritates me is this whole Michael Jackson thing. On a human level, I feel for the family losing one of their own. But, the media has taken this whole thing WAY too far! They have made it sound like absolutly every single person wept openly when they found out he died and absolutly every single person wanted to attend his memorial. Let me assure you, I did not. My family did not. I liked two of his songs and I did not think he was that great of a singer or performer. I don't care about anything related to Michael Jackson. Or Mylie Cyrus. Or Jonas Brothers.

kiwiandrew

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 am

I can't believe that I forgot "airbii" ... until someone used it just now in CivAv

aero145

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:28 pm

· Drivers who don’t understand that cyclists have also got rights on the road
· Drivers who don’t understand that not all cyclists roam around breaking rules all the time
· Drivers who pass me on my bicycle with very little distance, when there’s both enough space and no car coming from the other direction.
· Drivers who make fuss, yet get angry when a cyclist makes fuss after the driver made a very dangerous move and couldn’t care less about it

And no worries, I’m neither an anti-car man nor do I not drive. A.a.m.o.f., I do.

BAViscount

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Here's another one...

Drivers ahead of me in the queue at a red light whose thought process appears to go something like this:

"Oh look, the lights gone green. Soooo, it's into first gear...oh hang on, that's third, ok, there's first...aaaaaand, clutch to the biting point. Now what? Oh yes, release the handbrake...now where has that thing gone? Oh there it is. Now, how does this thing work again? Oh that's it, I press this little button thingy and let the lever sink to the floor. Right...here we go then. Oh, it's gone red again...".

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

fca767

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:56 pm

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 79):
I hate Walmart and everything that is part of Walmart. I see their annoying commercials probably everyday! They try to send a message saying we support American families, but really they only care about profit, of course every company is like that, but it seems Walmart just has the most annoying commercials and is just full of BS. Since I live in Minnesota I support companies based in our state (Target). Walmart can burn in hell!

I heard about that...about the company not paying their people properly...It made me stop buying bits from ASDA in UK as walmart bought them...

aero145

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 83):
"Oh look, the lights gone green. Soooo, it's into first gear...oh hang on, that's third, ok, there's first...aaaaaand, clutch to the biting point. Now what? Oh yes, release the handbrake...now where has that thing gone? Oh there it is. Now, how does this thing work again? Oh that's it, I press this little button thingy and let the lever sink to the floor. Right...here we go then. Oh, it's gone red again...".

Lol, wonderfully written!  biggrin  Why can people not simply keep their righty on the brake and lefty on the pedal and first gear selected?

Not a big deal at all!  sarcastic 

Superfly

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 82):
· Drivers who don’t understand that cyclists have also got rights on the road

Yes but keep in mind, slower traffic IS supposed to yield to faster moving traffic. That means YOU the cyclist need to move over.
I am avid cyclist too but I hate those self-righteous cyclist that like to get in front of cars and take up the entire lane.
As a cyclist, I always give cars the right of way.
Bring back the Concorde

aero145

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 86):
Yes but keep in mind, slower traffic IS supposed to yield to faster moving traffic. That means YOU the cyclist need to move over.
I am avid cyclist too but I hate those self-righteous cyclist that like to get in front of cars and take up the entire lane.

I know how traffic works, Sir Superfly.  Smile I do not take up entire lanes, and I am very aware of what is going on behind me, because I am an avid ”behind-looker”.  Wink When I plan a route to somewhere, I tend to take the shortcuts, through neighbourhoods where the maximum speed allowed is 22 mph. I usually cycle faster than that, so there are usually no problems there. When I have to get on a 30 mph road, I ”yield”, as in, cycle very close to the kerb, so that drivers don’t have a problem overtaking. But they still, by law, have to give themselves enough space to overtake.

Similar… I am pretty nice to drivers, but I do not give cars the right of way when not needed. It’s ”go with the flow”. If I go the speed of the flow, I don’t want them to overtake. I still don’t mind if they do, when they see to, that there is enough distance. If I know everybody goes quite faster, I usually ask them to overtake, so that they don’t ”tailgate” me, and don’t have to wait until, if I would, take a turn somewhere.

fca767

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Actually I think in England 2-3 Cyclists are allowed to take up the entire road and you have to stay behind them  but I'll have a google  

Oh:
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends  Smile

[Edited 2009-09-10 13:10:45]

aero145

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm

FCA, like this here too. I don’t like that, and I never do that while riding with others. One abreast, please.

Superfly

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 87):
I know how traffic works, Sir Superfly.

Wow I've been Knighted!  bouncy 

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 87):
I do not take up entire lanes, and I am very aware of what is going on behind me, because I am an avid ”behind-looker”. Wink When I plan a route to somewhere, I tend to take the shortcuts, through neighbourhoods where the maximum speed allowed is 22 mph. I usually cycle faster than that, so there are usually no problems there. When I have to get on a 30 mph road, I ”yield”, as in, cycle very close to the kerb, so that drivers don’t have a problem overtaking. But they still, by law, have to give themselves enough space to overtake.

That is how I ride too.
Unfortunately, here in San Francisco we a lot of militant cyclist that will take up the entire lane, even if the speed limit is 40MPH, they'll be peddling at less than 10 MPH just to prove a point.
Bring back the Concorde

808TWA

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 85):
Why can people not simply keep their righty on the brake and lefty on the pedal and first gear selected?

People driving standard transmission, who roll back on hills, because they haven't used their handbrake while trying the above "balancing act" unsuccessfully  Big grin
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

aero145

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 90):
Wow I've been Knighted!   

Well you are one of the highest regarded A.net users, just showing some respect.  Smile

That is how I ride too.

Wink

Unfortunately, here in San Francisco we a lot of militant cyclist that will take up the entire lane, even if the speed limit is 40MPH, they'll be peddling at less than 10 MPH just to prove a point.

Unfortunately nothing we can do about that. Fortunately they’re not that bad here Germany…

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 91):
People driving standard transmission, who roll back on hills, because they haven't used their handbrake while trying the above "balancing act" unsuccessfully

rotfl 

TSS

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 am

Many good entries posted so far, probably more than ten of my own gripes have already been enumerated. However, I will add this one:

People who think that everyone who speaks to them is trying to hit on them. I once walked into a crowded club and sat down at the only empty seat at the bar. When I got my drink, it was a little bit too full and I spilled some of it on the bar. The bartender was busy at this point and the nearest stack of cocktail napkins was two seats to my left, so I said to the person next to me on my left "Excuse me, could you pass me a couple of napkins, please?" to which that person replied rather snappishly "You're not my type!".  irked 

Of course being the smart-aleck that I am, I couldn't resist answering that with "Oh really? So, what 'type' do you pass napkins to?".  eyebrow 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

cpd

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:08 pm

The battery on my Bose QC3 headphones went flat. My other one (and the charger) are left at work by accident.

I'm using the original iPhone earphones - ouch, they are so painful.  Sad

EGTESkyGod

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Without a doubt, the single most annoying thing in the world is Kanye West... and tonight he's proven the amoeba brained by-product of animal buggery that he really is...

Sure he's nice in person though... Oh no, he's an arrogant twat.

Ahhhhhhhh, that feels MUCH better!
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait

kiwiandrew

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:45 pm

I just remembered two more :

People who make up their own airport codes rather than admitting that they dont know them . There is no shame in not knowing a code , but there should be in making one up so you end up confusing people in your posts .

Airlines who refer to their sloping J class product as 'lie-flat' when by any reasonable usage of the English language they clearly are not .

ER757

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:37 am

-When people use their precious garage to store old junk and park their car on the street contributing to the parking problem here in this city.

This is a HUGE problem where I live and the board members of our homeowners' association don't have the stones to enforce the rules.

A couple of mine
1) Slow drivers in the left lane
2) People that still write checks at the grocery store - it's called a cash card folks, look into it!
3) The option on automated phone attendants about "for English press one, para Espanol...."
If you are living and working in a country, speak the official language. I would expect no less of myself were I to move somewhere that English is not the native tongue

That's enough for now - people already think of me as an old curmudgeon, no need to make it even more obvious
 old 

Superfly

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:03 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 97):
This is a HUGE problem where I live and the board members of our homeowners' association don't have the stones to enforce the rules.

Wow I am surprised that a place with a home owners association would allow this.
Many new cities in the suburbs have home owners associations specifically to avoid this problem in the first place.

1) Slow drivers in the left lane

checkmark 
..or even worse, when people drive the same speed as the car next to them making it impossible for others to pass.

2) People that still write checks at the grocery store - it's called a cash card folks, look into it!

That doesn't bother me so much. Perhaps they lot their card or floating a check. Meaning next day is payday but may need to buy groceries the day before. Certainly not a wise thing to do but people do need to eat. I've noticed this a lot more during this recession.
Bring back the Concorde

BNE

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:33 am

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 30):
A few random peeves:

1. When people fill up with petrol at those stations with a mini Tesco/M&S etc. and then start shopping while the car is parked at the pump. Ignorants.

2. When you park in a car park with lots of empty spaces and come out to find that some fool has decided to park 8 inches from your drivers door rather than in a space surrounded by empty bays.

3. When companies remove useful services 'for your convenience'. Aaaaargh.

4. When people can't be bothered with common courtesy or manners.

5. Cyclists. Red lights apply to you as well.

6. Being told one day that (for example) red wine is good for you and the next being told its going to kill you.

Couple of good ones there; especially the grocery one; the cheapest place for the weekly shop.  Yeah sure

Couple of my own; probably read similar versions from others already.

Perennially unhappy or grumpy people.
People who want to blame someone else for their own trouble.
Anyone who smokes or drinks too much; neither good for your health.
Why fly non stop when you can connect