Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T8KE0FF
Topic Author

Eight Years On 9/11-Thoughts, Memories.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:45 am

eight years ago. today.
goes without saying what it is. where it is. why it was.

why not share you're thoughts and memorys?
where were you at the time. on this sad sad day.

over 2000 people lost the lives in this tragedy.

today we remember.
RJ85 E145 E195 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 B787 DH4 AT72

ManuCH

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:27 am

Eight years ago today I was at work. A colleague rushed into my office and said "hey, watch the CNN web site, a plane crashed into the World Trade Center!". The web site was overloaded. I went home to watch TV until late into the night.

Our lives changed forever on that day. We will never forget!
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 am

I am totally "out of myself" as I had a serious health scare with a coma and had definitely lost it on time. I am just out of the hospital.

I had almost forgotten about 9/11.

I have a file in my computer with hundreds of pictures of the event that I had picked up here and there while and after the event happened as divverse news sites were putting them up. I was in Paris working from home that day. Strangely I had no internet disruption at all at any moment. It wasn't fast but it was sufficient. I knew all these precious documents would be taken down and gone so I recorded as many on the spot as I could while they came up.

I lived the event live but remotely. It was such a shock. I thought someone I knew in Manhattan was lost in the tragedy but she appeared some days later.

What else can I say? I always had a strong interest for contemporary architecture, among which are skyscrapers.

I had the habit of spending New Years Eve in Manhattan joining all the fun and always had a reservation for dinner at the restaurant "Windows on the World" as it was the case going from 2000 to 2001. I have kept some of the menus, food and drink cards as I always do when I eat in such special places. I never figured that year would be the last one for me to go dining up there.

I am keeping clothes and accessories which I had bought in the WTC basement stores and outside nearby, these places are now lost forever and some of their people now belong to another dimension.

I don't want to talk about the cause of this tragedy. There is already enough said. I am thinking of the families of all who have lost their lives in the towers and all the brave firemen and volunteers who had gone through the rumble and incandescent debris to save every life they could.

I mss you WTC.  crying   crying   crying 

RIP all off them innocent victims.

May the attackers and their peers burn in Hell for eternity.

devil   devil   devil   devil   devil   devil 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Elite

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:23 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):

That picture of someone jumping out of the WTC is so disturbing and harrowing.... there are no words to describe it...

Toulouse

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 3):
That picture of someone jumping out of the WTC is so disturbing and harrowing.... there are no words to describe it...

I echo your sentiment.

On that day, I was headed from my office to a print shop run by a Venezuelan man I knew well in Madrid. It was in his shop, where he was listening, that I first heard that an a/c has crashed into one of the two towers. We were shocked and talked about such a terrible air accident. We still had no idea of the events to come and the cause. I then I actually went down to Mac Donald's for lunch. Everyone around me was talking about the event and things were still very unclear. Somebody said a second plane had crashed. As this sunk in, I and everyone there started to realise something was seriously wrong. I rushed back to my office where we had satellite TV and spent the day glued to CNN and other international TV channels. Work seemed to stop, not just in our office but everywhere. Our work was very international, and we quickly realised all work would be on hold that day as every office we called in Madrid, Dublin, London, Paris etc everyone had left their desks to watch this horrific events unfold. It was like watching a horror Hollywood movie, but it was real.

The following morning, I will never forget the somber atmosphere everywhere in Madrid. I took a taxi, the driver was obviously tuned into the radio. He was the first person to say a certain sentence that has become so familiar to all of us. He said "This will change the world we live in".

My stag party was planned for a couple of days following this disastrous day. Again the atmosphere was rather somber, and much of the conversation was centred on 9/11. I will always remember arriving at the bar of the American restaurant in Madrid where we would have dinner to mark the start of my stag night. I was the second to arrive, a good Irish friend was the first person. He was seated at the bar, reading about the events in The Herald Tribune with tears in his eyes. I always remember his immediate attempt to look "happy" when he saw me enter as it was my stag-night. Obviously, I didn't expect him to make this effort.

as I had a serious health scare with a coma and had definitely lost it on time. I am just out of the hospital.

MadameConcorde... i'm so sorry to hear that. This has just happened? How are you? I hope you are on the road to a very speedy recovery.
Long live Aer Lingus!

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 4):
MadameConcorde... i'm so sorry to hear that. This has just happened? How are you? I hope you are on the road to a very speedy recovery.

Why we live and how/why we go is still a total mystery. I did not even notice anything.

As we can see here, there are many worse ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKZq...layList&p=968D3944A48D6136&index=0

RIP all 9/11 victims.

Let us appreciate every minute of our lives as we have no idea what will come next.

Thank you for your kind words.   

[Edited 2009-09-11 02:15:05]

wukka

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 am

Stuck in Amsterdam. $500 in phone bills to try to get back to NY to see if there was something that I could do to help as a health care worker. Telling the girl that I was with that everything would be different now (how prophetic was that?).

It's grizzly, and it's nasty, and it sucks, but so what? I might have well been a million miles away from my home, and there are worse places to be stuck in than Amsterdam.

I did what I could, and I'm not living my life in fear, and this is nothing more than another day on the calendar. I watch people die every day for both explained and unexplained reasons.

Tragic, yes.

What's going to happen on "Tsunami Day", or "New Orleans Day", or "Tokyo Earthquake Day"?

How about setting up a "Too many Soldiers Blown Up Day"?

Aren't some of you folks sick of living like this?

Flame away. And no, I'm not trolling. It sucked. It was 8 years ago. It still sucks. At least you woke up to read this.

Today, I will drink a toast to all of those unfortunate enough to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I will, however, not be beaten down by this particular event and live in fear for the rest of my life. I'm too busy trying to save others right now and living in the present. Life doesn't have to suck. Grieve and move on. Please don't let this shit drag you down. If you do, you're doing the expected.

Apologies in advance to all those offended, but think about it. You can always stay in your house and wait for a meteor to hit you. The land of the free is now the land of the paranoid.
We can agree to disagree.

pawsleykat

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:27 am

I was 9 at the time. I'd been in school in the morning, but had to be taken to my uncle's (who was looking after me as my mum was out of town) around midday because I was really unwell. As I lay on the couch with a bowl of soup, my Uncle Norman and I were watching the lunchtime News Bulletin on Sky News when all of a sudden they were showing live footage of a burning WTC that had been hit by the AA 767 only a few minutes previously.
Immediately, there was a sense of panic as my Uncle Norman tried to get through to his cousin (and my aunt) Irene who worked in Manhattan. She often did business in the World Trade Centres and of course, we thought the worst. We sat watching the news right through the afternoon and evening. And I can remember getting a phone call at 2am on September 12th from Irene to let us know she was okay.

The next day in school was weird as well. Most kids in the class did a 6 page news report in our groups as a project set out by the teacher. Later we did a news broadcast to the class on what happened.

I can't believe it was 8 years ago today. Time passes so quickly

JG  Sad
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

gkirk

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:39 am

I believe I was off from college that day, and I may have been in was in a pub in Carlisle IIRC
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

slz396

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 3):
That picture of someone jumping out of the WTC is so disturbing and harrowing

Somebody actually tried to count the number of jumpers and came to a figure of over 200!

If you look for 9-11 jumpers on Youtube, you can find ample footage as them diving to death, including a video which includes a close up of the foot of the building, where they've all landed... very disturbing footage, I must warn you.  Sad

WildcatYXU

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am

I was installing new equipment in an optometry office in Burlington, ON. It was a beautiful, sunny day. I met the sales rep there at 07:30 and we were working non-stop till 11:00, so we didn't know anything. Only when I got to the car and took off for our office in North York I heard the news on radio. Firstly I thought that this is some tasteless joke, only to learn that it's the sad reality.
May all victims rest in peace.

Today, 8 years later, I'm traveling by air.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Aleksandar

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:42 am

I am totally "out of myself" as I had a serious health scare with a coma and had definitely lost it on time. I am just out of the hospital.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, but I'm sure you'll recover quickly

Quoting Elite (Reply 3):

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 9):
If you look for 9-11 jumpers on Youtube, you can find ample footage as them diving to death, including a video which includes a close up of the foot of the building, where they've all landed... very disturbing footage, I must warn you.

I watched some video clips today and they were all very, very disturbing. According to some estimates, more than 200 people decided to jump out of the building. It is still so disturbing to see jumpers, employees of Cantor Fitzgerald waving for help....everything.

Where was I then? In Belgrade, in front of my PC at first. Back then, I was subscribed to CNN Breaking News e-mail alert and the at first, they sent and e-mail that something happened to WTC and that possibly some small plane hit the building. It was sad, of course but not that serious. Then, similar messages were coming in and within miutes, e-mails from CNN became annoyingly frequent. I stopped opening them and quite by chance I took another look and read that it was an airliner that hit the building. Then I turned on my TV and it was seconds before the second plane hit WTC. Seeing it, everything was quite clear.....

Today, there are still so many unknown things about that day, so many reasons for speculation but all of that seems so unimportant compared to the fact that more than 2,700 people lost their lives.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

AustrianZRH

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:48 am

It was my 8th day in the Army, the first field day for combat training. In the afternoon, we were assembled by our platoon CO and he told us that the WTC is not standing anymore and the Pentagon burns, that planes crash all over the US and that a paramilitaric attack is suspected.

Our first sentiments were, bad joke, he probably does that to all newbies every year and he lacks taste. Unfortunately, we were wrong.

May the victims rest in peace!

[Edited 2009-09-11 04:50:22]
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

ltbewr

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 am

I work with and know other people who were in or worked everyday in the WTC towers at the time of the attack. Some of them will take off today, some will go to ceremonies, others will go to work but not be really giving full attention to thier work. All such persons knew some who died, it is a legacy that can never go away and indeed some suffer PTSD from it like if in a war.
Then their is the long term legacy of that day:
No national memorial 8 years later.
The destroyed WTC complex (*but for WTC 7) not replaced.
The National Memorial at the WTC site and the Flight 93 site not done yet.
Going to wars in Iraq and Afganistan.
1000's of people who worked in the cleanup after 9/11 at the WTC site and who worked and lived in the area who will die earlier in life (and in a few cases already dead) by the poisionous air created by the burning debirs. That air was declared 'safe' in the days after 9/11 so not to delay the reopening of business in the area and not to make it look like 'the terrorists won'
That a month before 9/11, President Bush could have ordered immediate actions that could have prevented the attacks, instead he delayed looking at it until around 9/12 and go on vacation. No one really paid the price for that.
That we never got bin-Laden and instead created Gitmo, abused and tortured terror suspects, continue to support polices in the Islamic dominate areas of the world that contine to hurt the possiblitity of peace and may encourage more attacks against us.
Hate crimes upon people of Islamic faith or just for wearing head coverings.
Put in security at our airports and airlines that instead of increasing security cause huge hassles and not real help.
What a terrible legacy.

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 11):
I watched some video clips today and they were all very, very disturbing.

Yep. There is some interesting footage of the 9-11 events out there on the WWW.

Wondering about the "third plane". Was this just an airliner going by?
This is very mysterious. Look here. Someone caught it on film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulMKlBinqYI&NR=1

Confused  Yeah sure

Aleksandar

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 14):

Well, I am usually quite sceptical when such theories are mentioned. You know, with today's technology, everyone could make a video and present it on WWW as "never seen before". This "third plane" theory reminds me a lot of "additional bullet" in JFK's assasination.

There are other things that made me wonder even back then. First was, nobody prevented those attacks, but full list of terrorists appeared within hours after attack. How? Lack of physical evidences...For example, if you look at the crash site of United 93, one can see a crater but not much more than that. Sounds like "X files".
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

757gb

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 pm

I still can't get over it. I catch myself going over pictures and accounts quite often, not only on this date. Just recently there was a thread about it and every time I seem to relive it all again. No peace to be found, inside or outside. And obviously today I'll remember it even more.

I didn't lose anyone and don't know anyone who has. Yet somehow 9/11 represents human misery in its worst expression, only comparable to war for me.

My best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and a renewed appreciation of life, which you seem to have.

Regards,
GB
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

sudden

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 pm

This day should never, and will never, be forgotten.

I was in the office that day, but during the afternoon it got so quiet. Looking at the first photo on the web, there were talks about an accident involving a Cessna.
Later on I checked Anet, and that's when I learned about what really happend.

I live in AMS and also heard of transatlantic flights returning back to Schiphol, so I called the disaster team at Schiphol airport to ask if I could be of any assistance as I had worked for the disaster team before, and there were lots of PAX stranded that were scared and didn't know where to turn. They took down all my details and would call me back if needed.
After work I was watching CNN all night long.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

yooyoo

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:58 pm

Eight years ago today, i was at work and my wife called me as said "There are planes falling out of the sky...." It sounded crazy to me until i found out what was really happening.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Aaron747

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Hard to believe really, even now. Lost a second cousin in the South Tower.

Good memories of a time living in DC when I was 9, dad picked me up after school and we took Amtrak up to NYC. Spent the weekend doing the city and finished with the WTC observation deck and lunch at Windows of the World.

Anyway, I always like to remember with one of the better tribute performances in the week after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2-qT1fjwA8

I know it aches / And your heart it breaks / Because we can only take so much... / But walk on / You've got to leave it behind
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mirrodie

RE: Eight Years On...

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:00 pm

I was in my residency program at a VA hospital. The patients in the waiting room, all of them
World War I or 2 Vets, were claiming an attack on the US when the first plane hit. The second only confirmed it.

Our facility went into lockdown by 10 AM.

For a moment, I wondered who would want to bomb a bunch of old guys. But the reality was who would also want to harm thousands of innocent. And it wasnt a concept we Americans were too familiar with up until that moment.

The reality was I was in a facility with thousands of retired soldiers who could clearly be targets of terrorism.

The rest of the week was followed by replays of the planes hitting and dimming hope of survivors.

Truly the end of the innocence. And the bell tolls now.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

max999

RE: Eight Years On 9/11-Thoughts, Memories.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 pm

I was in Lower Manhattan that morning, in my apartment, asleep. My alarm was set to ring at 9am. However, the first plane crash woke me up at 845am instead.

After watching the first tower collapse, me and my friends decided to evacuate with the rest of the mass exodus up Broadway.

The scene on Broadway was something out of a movie. Everyone was moving in one direction, north. There were long lines for the pay phones and cash machines. People were crowded around parked cars which had their radios playing.

When the second tower fell, everyone gasped and turned around. The horror on everyone's faces is unforgettable.

At that time, I was interning at Senator Hillary Clinton's New York office. I went into the office the next day, Sep 12, and helped out in whatever way I could.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

EZEIZA

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I was studying my last semester at university at Boca Raton, Fl. where many New Yorkers lived. On that morning I had no classes so I was actually sleeping until a disturbing call from my sister, who was living in Europe, woke me up. I then turned on the tv and the first tower collapsed. No word to describe it.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 pm

I was in class in high school at the time. Our assistant principal came in and told my teacher what was going on, who then informed us. He pulled out the TV and turned on the news and I couldn't believe my eyes. Several of my classmates started crying and shaking...their parents were supposed to have a seminar in the WTC that day (all were OK). Suddenly my knees started shaking and I broke out in a cold sweat. It was the first time in my life I felt truly scared and completely vulnerable. I think up until that point I had naively believed that anyone that tried to attack us on our own soil would be swiftly annihilated--regardless of their success. That feeling went away in an instant.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 14):

What's mysterious? The second plane hadn't hit. All planes flying didn't just cease to be airborne the second the first plane hit the tower. Looks like an airliner going into JFK.

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 15):
There are other things that made me wonder even back then. First was, nobody prevented those attacks, but full list of terrorists appeared within hours after attack. How? Lack of physical evidences...For example, if you look at the crash site of United 93, one can see a crater but not much more than that. Sounds like "X files".

UAL93 dive bombed into the ground. It's just an assembly of thin aluminum...it was shredded, along with its contents.

For a comparable accident, check USAir 427 in Aliquippa. More or less a dive straight into the ground, with no significant-sized pieces remaining.

As for the terrorist list...I'd say it would've been fairly obvious after checking the manifest, watch lists, etc...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

N776AU

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 pm

I was in 7th grade. When the day started our principal came on and said two men had intentionally crashed their planes in the World trade Center, which I took to mean two nut jobs each with Cessna. I didn't really get the magnitude of it until I got home.

Here I am 8 years later in college, working on my transfer to the University of Georgia. Things change quick.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

dragon6172

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 pm

I was stationed in Okinawa Japan. It was a bout 10 or so at night and we were in the middle of a typhoon. I did not have TV in my apartment, a friend who lived on base was relaying stuff to me. He first mentioned a plane had gone into the tower, we talked about what the weather looked like, and then the second one hit and we both knew things would be different. About a week later we were on a ship sitting off the coast of Indonesia.
Phrogs Phorever

CaliAtenza

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 pm

I was in sophmore year of high school, getting ready to go to school that day. I went to a Catholic school, so we had a mass that day. Sister tells me, when i get out of the shower, that a plane crashed into the WTC; i think, pfft, prolly some small plane or some accident or something. Then i hop in the car and my mom drives me to school...on the way we hear that a second plane has crashed into the second tower; then i realized, yeah this was a terrorist attack. After mass, the whole school was glued to the TV, finally someone shut it off (it was my math teacher). I went home afterwards and just sat and watched tv all day and all night long...I had so many conflicting emotions that day; i was angry, sad, upset, scared..at one point i was like.."f--k we should just turn the middle east into a parking lot with a nuke". Thank god i calmed down after that, but still....the world changed that day and i'll never forget it. Now i can never visit the WTC (my mom had been back in the 80s..but i have never been to NYC  Sad ).

A332

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm

I remember getting home very early in the morning as I was out and about the night before, hosting a going away party from a former job, and spending some time with numerous friends before deciding to head home.

When I got there, I switched on the TV and the media was already reporting on the first crash, believing at the time that it was some kind of accident, that a plane flew into the WTC but details were still sketchy at the time. Needless to say, I saw everything else unfold live from that point on.

I left for work later in the morning, arriving at my new job, and then being advised that the company decided not to move on it's expansion plans and I would no longer be needed. So I lost my job.

I went to the parking lot to get into my car and low and behold, it wouldn't start. So, I had a break down to deal with.

After getting the car going a few hours (and many dollars) later, I went home and grabbed my roomie and we were going to head out to see all of the airliners landing at YYC... of course, he locked the door before I could advise him I didn't have my keys... so we locked ourselves out of the house, meaning a locksmith had to be called to let us in.

A couple hours later, we finally got to YYC to see all of the strange aircraft that had to land. It was one sight... one I'll never forget.

It was also miserable outside that day... almost felt like it was going to snow.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bo Kim

Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

santosdumont

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Although the Twin Towers, along with thousands of innocents, now belong to the ages, the Lady in the Harbor -- and everything she personifies -- still stands.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

ronglimeng

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 pm

It was only a few years ago that I came across that footage on Youtube of the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Changing of the Guards ceremony at Buckingham Palace a day or so after the 9/11 attack.

I don't think there is another national anthem as suitable, in both music and lyrics, as the one the Americans have, for giving themselves strength in times of sudden adversity like that.

[Edited 2009-09-11 13:19:16]

[Edited 2009-09-11 13:19:35]

N776AU

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 30):
It was only a few years ago that I came across that footage on Youtube of the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Changing of the Guards ceremony at Buckingham Palace a day or so after the 9/11 attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrX-LN9-L0
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 pm

I was only 10 but I still remember everything so clear. I came home from school at 3:15pm and saw the two towers on fire, my first word was "woah".

My mother's close family are living in Chicago and her brother works downtown. She tried calling to tell him get away from the downtown area because she was sure Chicago would be hit too with all the skyscrapers but all the phonelines were jammed. I remember the panic of it all.

And to bring this close to home, my aunt was visiting New York at the time and only just visited the World Trade Centre the day before, September 10th.

I was also talking to a former Aer Lingus flight attendant that lives in my area who, on that day was scheduled to fly ORD-SNN (EI128) but obviously couldn't. When she eventually did serve the flight a few days later, she was told by her superiors that that would be her last flight, staff were being let go immediate effect.

OA260

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 pm

I was on a cruise ship in Corfu. It started out to be such a warm peaceful sunny day. When I returned to the ship everyone was watching TV and the lady in the cabin next to me was screaming as her son was in the tower. The doctor was called and she was taken off the ship. We never saw her again. Always wondered what happened to her and if by any chance her Son managed to get out.

Shortly after 9/11 my Grandmother died so I will never forget Sept/Oct 2001 .....

Mortyman

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:50 pm

I was on my way home from work and walked through town, when I saw a group of people standing infront of the window of a shop that sells TV's. They were all watching the coverage of the incident. I rushed in to my moms workplace and told her the news. She could'nt beleave it.

That day and many days / weeks that followed there was wall to wall coverage in all the Norwegian media about the incident. Outside the US embassy in Oslo, Norway there was a constant flow of people paying their respect with flowers and children with drawings of the WTC.

Some articles and pictures in english from the Norwegian press:

Norwegians join international mourning:

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article194739.ece

" The Stars and Stripes hung at half-mast on the flag-pole across the street, as did the Norwegian flag atop the palace itself. Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg had earlier ordered flags at half-mast, and other embassies around town fell in line. "

Police and flowers at US embassy in Oslo:

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article194008.ece

GulfStreamGirl

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 15):
Well, I am usually quite skeptical when such theories are mentioned. You know, with today's technology, everyone could make a video and present it on WWW as "never seen before". This "third plane" theory reminds me a lot of "additional bullet" in JFK's assasination.

Actually CNN's Anderson Cooper reported about that white mysterious plane (Dooms Day Plane) on that very day.

I was sleeping living on the west coast it was early , but upon waking up i usually put the news on , and i just remember being in shock, then I was glued to the news all day . The images of people jumping out were horrifying , but i kind of thought that maybe they were so badly burnt that it actually eased some of the pain . May we never forget that day and its victims.

MCOflyer

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Quoting T8KE0FF (Thread starter):

where were you at the time. on this sad sad day.

I was in the deans office in middle school. I was student of the day and watched the planes crash into the WTC. I cried as I have never seen such a act by a terrorist.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

gocaps16

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I lived in Arlington, VA when it happened, a senior in high school. I was in the library doing a research project when a group of teachers surrounded the T.V. and also I was on AIRLINERS.NET reading the thread about a "Small Plane Crashed Into WTC." I didn't believe it until it was on CNN. After the 2nd plane hit, we all knew it was an attack, so the school was on lockdown since the school was only less then 3 miles from the Pentagon. I went to my next class all in silence and disbelief, and we heard a very distant explosion outside. It was the when AA 77 hit the Pentagon. The principal came on saying there was a bomb explosion at the Pentagon City Mall which was unconfirmed, while my school is very close to this mall. Breaking news came on about the attack on the Pentagon. Scary stuff. My dad worked in the Pentagon while in the U.S. Army but retired before 9/11. His office where he worked at was where the airplane crashed at. After school, my dad and I walked to the Pentagon to check the damage, police cars everywhere, federal agents blocking the roads, smoke and debris everywhere, and tons of media and witnesses around taking photos. I still have the prints from it of what I took.

propilot83

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:25 am

Well on 09-11, I was a senior in high school, my mother woke me up 6:45 a.m. pacific time and told me that a plane had crashed into a building, my first thought was 'man its just a small plane like a Cessna or something that crashed into a small building.' So I didnt get up until 7a.m. and when I did walk across my bedroom hall into the bathroom, I got a glimpse of the CNN on tv and I noticed it was the World Trade Center on fire, then I knew ........'SOB! it was Bin Laden again.' I knew that it was Bin Laden because I knew about him and who he was and I also knew about the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. That day changed my life forever, I am from Afghanistan, a native of Afghanistan born in Germany and I became a U.S. Citizen on 08-28-09. May God Bless those who have perished on 09-11, and may God Bless the U.S. and the rest of the world. I watched a lot of documentaries on 09-11 today on the History Channel, and just watching and listening to the survivors stories just melted my heart and I shed some tears, but if I hadnt controlled myself, I would have just cried so much, my stomach was full of sadness.

directorguy

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:55 pm

I was around 7 or 8 at the time. It was roughly 5:30 pm in the afternoon where I was. My father and I were in his office, and my mom called us with the news. We were all shocked to the core. Later in the evening, we were told that the PTA conference at school would be called off. The major supermarkets were empty. A lot stayed at home. This was Saudi Arabia, and none of the adults ruled out the possibility of a major upheaval in the kingdom (i.e. an invasion, or mass evacuation etc.). Of course, they were proven right-there were several major terrorist attacks all over the Kingdom which directly many of us. And of course, the Iraqi War to take place 2 years later. After 9/11, nothing was ever quite the same again.

Maverick623

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:19 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 5):

As we can see here, there are many worse ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKZq...dex=0

I think that was the first time most of us, especially people like me who were younger then, had seen, live, such a massive amount of death, raw and uncensored.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way