Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

propilot83
Topic Author

House Passes Unemployment Extension

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:15 am

Today 09-22-09 the House of Representatives has passed a bill 331 - 83 to provide an additional 13 weeks of unemployment benefits to the highest unemployed states. The Senate is to take up the bill in the next few weeks, the White House has signaled support to sign the bill into law. WOW, this is amazing, I figured since I have been on unemployment benefits since January 2009, and I am already on my first extension, I still have a second extension, then the FED-ED extension, and the fourth extension that is the current bill the Senate has to take up. I am going to desperately look for work beginning 10-19-2009 once I complete my fun at the airshows next month. This is great news for people who are about to run out of unemployment benefits. Its such an emotional feeling for people in Congress who cares so much about us. Now that the recession is probably over, the number of jobs being lost every month looks even worse, California is now at 12.9% unemployment rate. I dont even like unemployment, some people enjoy it and take advantage of it and they take it for granted, but for me, I want a secure job like I had before that way I can also have great benefits too. Well God bless those on Capitol Hill who are working for us.

Ken777

RE: House Passes Unemployment Extension

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:25 am

I remember when Bush I was in office and had to face this same decision,. His advisors pushed for him NOT to extend it because the recession was almost over and it wouldn't be needed. Going against that was the very real problem of companies "right sizing" their employee base, leaving a lot of middle aged managers and executives out in the cold.

Basically Bush was denying an extension when his were needing it. I called it the John Sanunu approach for supporting those who support you. They were eating their won.

Now the Democrats are faced with the same situation and have decided (wisely, I believe) to extend the benefits. They are more aware than Bush I advisors of the delay in returning employment to near normal levels after the recession turns around. There is a painful lag that we need to get through.

I would also like to see increased funding for training for new jobs, in case a workers old job does not return. Plumber, electrician, programmer - doesn't really matter as long as we can get them moving again.

fr8mech

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Quoting Propilot83 (Thread starter):
I figured since I have been on unemployment benefits since January 2009, and I am already on my first extension, I still have a second extension, then the FED-ED extension, and the fourth extension that is the current bill the Senate has to take up.

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a working knowledge of unemployment compensation, so what does this bring us to? Six months? Nine months? A year or more? The OP seems to indicate that this could go on for well over a year.

I am going to desperately look for work beginning 10-19-2009 once I complete my fun at the airshows next month.

Not sure about your 'circumstances' but I would have been "desperately" looking for work well before my unemployment goes into 10 months. Yes, I know, you've probably been looking and need a break.

You do know, that right after the airshows, we'll have the Holloween season, then Thanksgiving and Christmas. Can't forget New Years. I'm sure you'll get right on finding that job after that or when the benefits run out.

like I had before that way I can also have great benefits too.

How about you start with a job and then get picky.

Its such an emotional feeling for people in Congress who cares so much about us.

Well God bless those on Capitol Hill who are working for us.

Last year I would have said those on Capitol Hill care about just one thing...staying there, but I'll add a second thing...taking more power away from us. Extending benefits is just another way for the Democrats to attempt to extend their reach and power. Every bit of power they gain comes from you and me. Yeah, I know, I'm painting with a broad brush, but they're suppling the paint.

I understand the need for unemployment benefits. I do believe that they are necessary to help someone make the transition from employed to unemployed and back to employed. But really, the longer those benefits last, the longer someone will tend to remain unemployed. Just my opinion.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
I would also like to see increased funding for training for new jobs, in case a workers old job does not return. Plumber, electrician, programmer - doesn't really matter as long as we can get them moving again.

I'd like to see ANY extension to unemployment benefits tied to someone taking and successfully completeing some sort of new job training.

WindowSeat

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 2):

I agree with your post for the most part. I don't however believe that this is the way Democrats are extending their power and reach with the masses. I think there is a genuine case for help for people affected by the crisis, especially families with children.

I am however, opposed to single, young and fit people being on benefits for that long and it seems like it's over a year that they can be on benefits. As the OP stated, once he's done with the fun of airshows he's going to look for a job? wtf?

I don't mean to sound heartless, and I realise the need for unemployment, but I also believe it should be on case by case basis. Single mother with two children who lost a job is different than someone taking the time off and the unemployment benefits (which I pay for as a taxpayer) to enjoy some airshows.

What benefit do I have when I save my money for a rainy day but others spend it on, say, an expensive camera?

I know people who won't even get a part time job because the benefits are substantial enough to make the same amount of money by sitting at home, and that's exactly what they've been doing. Once the benefits run out, they'll be scrambling for a job.

cheers,
WindowSeat

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 pm

I am going to desperately look for work beginning 10-19-2009 once I complete my fun at the airshows next month.

What about looking for a job NOW? Do you expect the rest of the population to pay for your "fun" times?

Jan

fr8mech

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 3):
I agree with your post for the most part. I don't however believe that this is the way Democrats are extending their power and reach with the masses. I think there is a genuine case for help for people affected by the crisis, especially families with children.

As I stated, there is a place for unemployment compensation, but extended benefits, with no conditions, are a power grab.

Vote for me!!! My party and I will make sure that if you find yourself out of work, you'll get 18 months of unemployment insurance, no strings attached. And if the economy sucks (I mean we inherited a ball of crap, didn't we?) we'll extend those benefits.

That's what I mean: power grab.

Ken777

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 3):
I know people who won't even get a part time job because the benefits are substantial enough to make the same amount of money by sitting at home, and that's exactly what they've been doing. Once the benefits run out, they'll be scrambling for a job.

Basically I'm of the opinion that benefits of employment - like health insurance and unemployment insurance (if needed) are part of a person's compensation "package". When I was working for others I'm sure my bosses saw it that way. When I had my own little company I sure as hell know I saw it that way. A good example would be one job that offered health insurance, but my wife had a better family policy so I had my salary increased by the amount of the insurance premiums. At the time it was only about $2,000 - but that's $2,000 more income for me.

That approach means that those collecting unemployment have indirectly been paying for that insurance while they were working. In today's recession where older employees have taken the lead in having their jobs cut those employees have "paying" for a very long time.

I have no problems extending their support. Actually I believe they should be offered Medicare while unemployeed if they have worked a certain amount of years

As far as getting off unemployment, when the job market starts building up next year there will be a lot of people looking for a decent job - and most would not be turning their back on the good ones that they fit in with.

propilot83
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 pm

LOL people  Big grin some of your comments are very funny. Yea you see, I am 26 years old, I am single, no kids, no wife, no girlfriend (never even had a girl friend yet) and perhaps I paid into unemployment taxes while I was working. It was Frito Lay's fault and the U.S. Secret Service that got me fired you see! Yea I am going to have a blast at the airshows next month, come a long and enjoy with me fellows. Oh and by the way before the President signs this new extended benefits into law adding an additional 13 weeks, right now, I mean right now California has a total of 79 weeks of unemployment benefits that last over 1 year and 1/2 including all extension and federal extensions.

WindowSeat

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting Propilot83 (Reply 7):

Blame the company and the govt all you want, there are a lot of people who are in worse situations than you are. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here by gloating that you will spend your time on umemployment having fun. There's nothing funny about the comments, it just shows how some people are not committed to finding a job and standing on their two feet. But then again, maybe that's why you're out of a job. I do realise there are those who will squat on benefits all their life.

cheers,
WindowSeat

sbworcs

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Not sure how the system works over in the US, I am in the UK and lost my job nearly 3 months ago - luckily I was between houses and live with family. BUT I get £64 sterling a week to pay all my bills, travel, interviews and living expenses. To get that £64 a week you have to go and "sign on" once a fortnight where you have to prove that you have been actively seeking employment and if you do not they can stop your benefit. I did pay unemployment protection but the insurance company has found a way to drop out of its responsibily. When i have been unemployed for 3 months I then have to go an "sign on" once a week (Can't wait).. I have applied for over 75 jobs since June but not luck yet. Propilot - count yourself lucky that you CAN decide when you want to get a job - maybe though when you decide a job is worthy of your presence there might not be any - what then?

Mir

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 pm

How about you desperately look for work now? Or are you at airshows 24/7? Somehow, I doubt it. You've been on unemployment since January, and you're just starting to get desperate? What the hell have you been doing all this time?

It was Frito Lay's fault and the U.S. Secret Service that got me fired you see!

Doesn't matter. Why not take some initiative and not blame everyone else for your situation? It's not my fault that I graduated from school as a pilot at a time when pilots are in vast oversupply, and the industry is in crisis. And yet I'm dealing with it and not expecting the government to bail me out of something that was entirely not of my creation (whereas if the USSS got involved in your firing, I have to believe that it was at least somewhat of your own creation). If I have to go outside my field to get a job, I'll do it. You can do the same.

Food for thought: it's attitudes like yours that are the reason for people voting against these sort of benefit extensions in the first place, denying them to people who legitimately need them (of which, from everything you've written in this thread, you are not one).

-Mir

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
Food for thought: it's attitudes like yours that are the reason for people voting against these sort of benefit extensions in the first place, denying them to people who legitimately need them (of which, from everything you've written in this thread, you are not one).

thumbsup 

Jan

sv7887

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi All,
I've been out since Dec 2008, and definitely have not been having a "good time" at that. Massachusetts requires you to complete work search logs and attend orientations with job counselors. Not exactly a cakewalk. Been through interviews, job fairs, and all that crap. Been close a few times, but only to hear, "sorry close but not close enough."

It's frustrating for everyone who is sincerely looking out there. So please don't lump us all into the same crowd.

You can only get told you're overqualified so many times, and hear them complain about your salary history despite offering to work for much less before getting pissed off. I've tried applying outside my usual field and get told the same thing.

The only thing I can keep doing is trying and making sure my cover letter and resume are working for me. That said, the Unemployment folks seem satisfied with what I've done so far and seem understanding of the situation.

Most employers that do anything remotely related to my line have only very recently started to hire. This is of course the September recruiting season so we'll see if I'm in luck.

I understand the need for unemployment benefits. I do believe that they are necessary to help someone make the transition from employed to unemployed and back to employed. But really, the longer those benefits last, the longer someone will tend to remain unemployed. Just my opinion.

In Massachusetts it has been pretty tough to find work for everyone, hence the Legislature adding an additional 20 weeks on the state level.

LOL people Big grin some of your comments are very funny. Yea you see, I am 26 years old, I am single, no kids, no wife, no girlfriend (never even had a girl friend yet) and perhaps I paid into unemployment taxes while I was working. It was Frito Lay's fault and the U.S. Secret Service that got me fired you see! Yea I am going to have a blast at the airshows next month, come a long and enjoy with me fellows. Oh and by the way before the President signs this new extended benefits into law adding an additional 13 weeks, right now, I mean right now California has a total of 79 weeks of unemployment benefits that last over 1 year and 1/2 including all extension and federal extensions.

Your situation mirrors mine. But you're making a huge mistake. I have been looking for a job since day 1 of unemployment. Don't think for a second that employers will work on your schedule. They don't.

I paid a fortune in taxes into the system, but it makes me sick every week when I have to claim benefits. Definitely not something I am proud of, and I basically treat my job search as a full time job.

fr8mech

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 6):
That approach means that those collecting unemployment have indirectly been paying for that insurance while they were working. In today's recession where older employees have taken the lead in having their jobs cut those employees have "paying" for a very long time.

I understand your concern. Maybe we tie any extension to amout of time worked.

But, let's look at the insurance. It is just that...insurance. If you get into a car wreck, you don't get any additional consideration for length of policy. Homeowners' is the same way. Provide a persuasive argument to convince folks that unemployment insurance should be treated any different.

You are the poster child for why we need to scrutinze every person who receives unemployment.

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 12):
In Massachusetts it has been pretty tough to find work for everyone, hence the Legislature adding an additional 20 weeks on the state level.

OK, have you looked elsewhere? I mean that may seem drastic, but if it's not working out for you in the PRM, why not expand your search. I don't know what your field is, but I'll hazard that it's not exclusive to your area.

I guess that my point is that when you're out of work, you must explore all your options for finding work. Some you'll discard, others will discard you. But, you have to explore all options.

[Edited 2009-09-23 15:41:03]

LAXintl

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:49 pm

The OP seems to indicate that this could go on for well over a year.

Yes its now up to 86-92 weeks of benefits with various State and additional Federal extensions.

I'd like to see ANY extension to unemployment benefits tied to someone taking and successfully completeing some sort of new job training.

checkmark  Or how about make folks do community service jobs, like cleaning highways etc to EARN those benefits. Cant get a job, no problem, let the government make use of your free time.

sv7887

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 13):
OK, have you looked elsewhere? I mean that may seem drastic, but if it's not working out for you in the PRM, why not expand your search. I don't know what your field is, but I'll hazard that it's not exclusive to your area.

Well I am a caregiver for my ill mother, and it's not exactly wise to sell a home in this kind of economy. Hence the limitation to Boston.

The base for consulting type work is Boston, and there isn't much out there outside of MA for the Consulting, Analytical, Finance, or Market Research kind of work. (I've checked, believe me). It isn't a question of qualifications, it's a question of the number of opportunities.

Going back to school is worthless given that my schooling isn't exactly the problem. It's really a problem of networking and tapping the hidden job market. Most of my friends have tried to help, but there are hiring freezes in place that are only starting to be lifted.

I've tried applying for ordinary jobs, but they immediately say "Overqualified" I even offered to take a 40% pay cut, but the response was, "The second the economy will improve, you will leave. We're not going to pay a guy with a Grad degree and 3 yrs of experience Undergrad salaries."

And yes, I've tried internships, part time, you name it. Same old crap.

LAXintl

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 15):
I've tried applying for ordinary jobs, but they immediately say "Overqualified" I even offered to take a 40% pay cut,

One piece of advise. Tailor your resume and information you provide for the job you are applying for.

If its a more basic entry level position, forget mentioning all your years of high level experience, or strong education background.

You are right companies don't want high skilled folks for average jobs, so you need to position yourself to appear more 'average'. Additionally hiring managers or department bosses are reluctant to hire folks that might be even higher caliber then themselves.

Good luck.

sv7887

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 16):
You are right companies don't want high skilled folks for average jobs, so you need to position yourself to appear more 'average'. Additionally hiring managers or department bosses are reluctant to hire folks that might be even higher caliber then themselves.

This is good advice, thank you so much. I've only worked for three years, but I can dumb it down a bit. And you're definitely right about the second part, I have had a few people make snarky comments about my grad degree and it over qualifying myself for a position.

That said, I've had more interest of late. I think it will be at least 6-8 weeks before I know anything. My last company was a Consulting firm that misjudged the economy and went on a hiring binge. They ended up shrinking in half and narrowly avoided bankruptcy. All the new hires including me were the first to go. It's just the way it is for everyone.

Thanks for your good wishes!
Sam

FlyPNS1

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 15):
The base for consulting type work is Boston, and there isn't much out there outside of MA for the Consulting, Analytical, Finance, or Market Research kind of work.

Given your mother's illness and the housing market, I agree that moving probably isn't the best option for you. With that said, there are plenty of consulting outside of MA...particularly in the DC area. There are tons of consulting firms hiring in DC though not necessarily specific to finance, but if you have good analytical skills you'd have no problem here.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 14):
Or how about make folks do community service jobs, like cleaning highways etc to EARN those benefits. Cant get a job, no problem, let the government make use of your free time.

I like this idea. For every 13 weeks of unemployment benefits you get extended, you provide 100 hours of community service.

propilot83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 am

One of you were asking what I was doing since I was unemployed. Well first of all, I wish I had never lost my job, I was making $15/hr. at Frito Lay. It was a secure job even with a hard hit recession, people will always buy food. And second of all, I began working out at the gym 5 days a week, watching my favorite aviation videos, keeping track of the news, politics, and government, following Obama's daily schedule. Becoming more organized than ever before. Going on a two day vacation to Seattle in May 2009 to visit the Boeing Commercial Plant (it was amazing). Traveling to Vegas and Laughlin for a total of 2 nights, rode a jet ski for the first time in Laughlin (man I had a blast!). But you see, I am not a bad person, I dont drink, I dont smoke, gamble, or use drugs, I dont party, or go to clubs, I am very meticulous and detail oriented. My credit score is 722 by the way. I dont ever take anything for granted in life, not even this unemployment benefits. In fact, like I said I dont even like to get unemployment, if I can go back to work with Frito Lay, I would go back in a heart beat! So dont try to criticize me people. I am doing the right thing thats best for me in my life. AND I am not the only one getting unemployment benefits in California, there are over like 8 million other people or something like that. Please dont get jealous people, just get over it, learn how to deal with resentment or else I will have to show off and rub everything in your face~

Mir

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:00 am

Quoting Propilot83 (Reply 19):
Well first of all, I wish I had never lost my job,

I don't doubt that. Very few people do.

And second of all, I began working out at the gym 5 days a week, watching my favorite aviation videos, keeping track of the news, politics, and government, following Obama's daily schedule. Becoming more organized than ever before. Going on a two day vacation to Seattle in May 2009 to visit the Boeing Commercial Plant (it was amazing). Traveling to Vegas and Laughlin for a total of 2 nights, rode a jet ski for the first time in Laughlin (man I had a blast!).

Ok, so the trips to Seattle and Nevada cover about a week. What about the other part of the 9 months?

if I can go back to work with Frito Lay, I would go back in a heart beat!

I don't doubt that either. But let's say you can't go back to Frito-Lay. What then? I know it's a bad economy, but finding a job that will pay you the same shouldn't be impossible if you have 9 months to do it.

-Mir

propilot83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:44 am

Mir, I cant explain every detail of my life in the past 9 months. All I have to say is "God is great." God is great, that is all that matters, if anyone ever asks me, how are you going to find a job or when? I will tell them "God is great!"

Mir

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:54 am

Quoting Propilot83 (Reply 21):
if anyone ever asks me, how are you going to find a job or when? I will tell them "God is great!"

You know what else is great?

www.craigslist.org

-Mir

sv7887

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 18):
I agree that moving probably isn't the best option for you. With that said, there are plenty of consulting outside of MA...particularly in the DC area. There are tons of consulting firms hiring in DC though not necessarily specific to finance, but if you have good analytical skills you'd have no problem here.

I have heard this too. I guess the Beltway Bandits are still doing well even in this recession huh? Amazing. The Partners at my old firm still took their 250K bonuses even after running the firm into the ground. And what did we get as severance? Nothing, other than the vacation we were legally owed. And they stiffed us on repaying expenses too.

I probably could have done a better job at the company, so I'd say 50% of it was my fault. Given what happened regarding the firm, I might have survived a few more months even under the best of circumstances. My father died suddenly a few weeks after me taking that job, and didn't leave a will so it was a hellish year getting that sorted out in courts.

Invariably I had to choose between my family and a two year job at best. I think I did the right thing, at the minimum I have a paid off home to live in and my mother has my dad's 401K money to sustain her and the home. By no means are we on easy street, but we'll be ok as long as we continue to be intelligent about how we manage money.

I am not being too picky regarding what I apply to. To take an aviation analogy, if you have an engine out, you do the best you can to secure the passengers and get that aircraft down as soon as possible. The limits are always fuel, passengers and/or cargo. I would very much like to work, even outside MA, but I am limited by the cargo I carry.

I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me, even I don't feel sorry for myself. Life will hand you these sort of problems, it's incumbent on the individual to manage the situation as best as one can. I personally need to do a better job networking to tap that hidden market. Sending resumes and attending job fairs are good, but inefficient at best. It's a learning experience.

To get back to the original post:

Having earned a good wage, I never minded paying unemployment taxes. After spending numerous sessions with my fellow unemployed, most of them are honest, hard working people who are down on their luck. Yes, there are some slackers but they aren't the norm. Given what the unemployment rates are, I don't think there are that many people out there deliberately slacking off. Unemployment isn't that generous, I get the maximum of $554 a week given what I earned, they also limit the duration of extensions too. (For example I only get a 20 week extension instead of the 33 week full duration. Fair game if you ask me)

For a single guy like me with your typical car payment, health insurance and student loans, you can do ok on that. Still compared to actually working I'm still losing thousands of dollars a month. There is still a very strong economic incentive to get back to work in most cases.

If you have a family, or if you have a mortgage, credit card debt, more burdensome student loans, etc I don't see how riding unemployment is a good long term strategy. Then again, as some have mentioned here, people find ways..

Good luck to those out there who are looking for work!
Sam

fr8mech

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:38 pm

Where to start?

It was a secure job

Apparently, it was not. Maybe it was secure for a good employee, but it appears you were fired for some reason.

Just slightly off topic, but if we fire someone for cause, we fight granting unemployment benefits. We go to the state and tell them exactly why the person was fired.

I began working out at the gym 5 days a week, watching my favorite aviation videos, keeping track of the news, politics, and government, following Obama's daily schedule.

Absolutely none of which will get you a job. In fact, they may hinder your ability to get a job.

My credit score is 722 by the way

Not for long.

I dont ever take anything for granted in life, not even this unemployment benefits.

Yes, you do take the benefit for granted, because you are not looking for a job.

I dont even like to get unemployment,

Yes, you do. Don't rationalize it or lie to yourself. You like sitting on your butt and getting a check every week for doing nothing.

if I can go back to work with Frito Lay, I would go back in a heart beat!

Apparently you can't. Get over it and find a job and stop leeching off of society.

I am not the only one getting unemployment benefits in California,

True, but I'm guessing a strong majority of those folks are looking for work and not visiting the Boeing plant or following Obama's daily schedule (whatever that means).

Please dont get jealous people

You think people are jealous because you're out of work and sucking the government tit? Please. Most folks understand the value of work and want to contribute to society.

This is the behaviour that extended unemployment benefits can produce. This is why any extended benefits need to be earned.

Continental

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 24):
Yes, you do. Don't rationalize it or lie to yourself. You like sitting on your butt and getting a check every week for doing nothing.

Wow, a bit cruel don't you think? The man hasn't been able to find a decent job, a situation many Americans are currently facing. Don't speak for him.

MD11Engineer

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Mir, I cant explain every detail of my life in the past 9 months. All I have to say is "God is great." God is great, that is all that matters, if anyone ever asks me, how are you going to find a job or when? I will tell them "God is great!"

Then it is time to cut you off. The unemployment insurance is supposed to help you over the time while looking for a new job, so that you won´t fall into poverty, but it is not intended to give you a long paid vacation.

Jan

[Edited 2009-09-24 06:26:45]

sv7887

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:12 pm

You think people are jealous because you're out of work and sucking the government tit? Please. Most folks understand the value of work and want to contribute to society.

This is the behaviour that extended unemployment benefits can produce. This is why any extended benefits need to be earned.

I have to agree with the above. Remember, it's ILLEGAL to claim benefits if you are not actively looking for work. Whether they check it or not, you still have to make a minimum of three work searches a week. And they can ask you at any time to show documentation that you did that.

I had a week where I was tied up running my Mom to doctors. I couldn't claim money for that week, because it's completely wrong. Same thing applies if you make some money on the side.

It's one thing to have trouble finding work as millions of Americans have done, but it's another not to responsibly look for work when claiming benefits.

I am not trying to judge you, but think about what you are doing.

dtwclipper

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 13):
You are the poster child for why we need to scrutinze every person who receives unemployment.

This is the behavior that extended unemployment benefits can produce. This is why any extended benefits need to be earned.

To all of the above: Well said.

Dear threadstarter,

You do realize that your behavior is making even the most liberal members of this site cringe with embarrassment and side with the MOST conservative side of this site.

Being on employment is nothing to flaunt, and that you can afford to take trips and not worry is a slap in the face to those people who really need the benefit and can hardly make ends meet.

To be honest, I'm sorry for you.

max550

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:43 pm

I dont even like unemployment, some people enjoy it and take advantage of it and they take it for granted, but for me, I want a secure job like I had before that way I can also have great benefits too.

It sounds like you're enjoying it and taking advantage of it. I think it's good that the government extended the benefits, but you need to use the time you're getting the benefits to find a job. I've had to find new jobs twice in the past and if you want a good one you need to make finding a job your full time job, especially the way the job market is right now.

fr8mech

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 25):
Wow, a bit cruel don't you think? The man hasn't been able to find a decent job, a situation many Americans are currently facing. Don't speak for him.

Have you read his posts? He enjoys the benefit, yet claims he doesn't. I'm not speaking for him, I'm speaking for myself, and apparently several others, of multiple political views.

Aaron747

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:56 pm

This thread is a real headshaker, that's all I can say. The House made a big mistake - these benefits need to be carefully controlled and only disbursed to those in the most need - living with ill parents, raising young kids, etc.

max550

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 25):

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 30):
Have you read his posts? He enjoys the benefit, yet claims he doesn't. I'm not speaking for him, I'm speaking for myself, and apparently several others, of multiple political views.

Gotta agree with Fr8 on this one. Propilot may not be able to find a job but I don't get the impression that he's actively looking. If I didn't have a job right now I'd be spending every waking hour trying to find one, not traveling around to different events and having the time of my life.

It's people like this that cause benefits to be cut off for people who actually deserve them. If you're out trying to find a job I have no problem with the government providing unemployment compensation for a certain amount of time, even extending it in especially bad times. But to use the compensation for a year vacation is not only the wrong way to use the benefit, but is also taking money out of the pool that could be used by someone who actually needs the money to support their family while they're looking for a job.

On a side note, how is the Secret Service partially at fault for the loss of Propilots job?

Continental

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:31 am

Do we know for sure that he is not actively searching for a job? I'm not saying I support an individual who would rather take the money and do nothing.

max999

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:55 am

Quoting Sbworcs (Reply 9):
Not sure how the system works over in the US, I am in the UK and lost my job nearly 3 months ago - luckily I was between houses and live with family. BUT I get £64 sterling a week to pay all my bills, travel, interviews and living expenses. To get that £64 a week you have to go and "sign on" once a fortnight where you have to prove that you have been actively seeking employment and if you do not they can stop your benefit.

You missed a big difference between the US and UK when it comes to being unemployed...health insurance. You lose your job in the UK, you keep your health insurance. We lose our jobs and then get into an accident and get really sick...tough luck because you're fucked.

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 17):
All the new hires including me were the first to go. It's just the way it is for everyone.

From the anecdotal evidence I've heard and many news reports I've read...younger / more inexperienced workers tend to be bear the brunt of layoffs, but they get rehired quicker. It's the opposite for older / experienced workers...companies tend not to lay them off, but they have a hard time getting another job once unemployed.

Mir

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:59 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 33):
Do we know for sure that he is not actively searching for a job?

Well, he did say that he is "going to desperately look for work beginning 10-19-2009 once I complete my fun at the airshows next month."

So it would seem, at least to me, that no, he isn't.

-Mir

LAXintl

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 34):
You lose your job in the UK, you keep your health insurance. We lose our jobs and then get into an accident and get really sick...tough luck because you're fucked.

Not quite true at all.

There are millions (as myself and family) of folks that have fully self funded their health insurance directly via folks like Blue Cross, Cigna, Kaiser etc. regardless of what plans we might be offered at work.

Additionally and most important for people that are reliant on employer plans there is both Federal and in many states various form form continuation coverage programs (eg Cobra) which serves as a safety net. Thanks to the various stimulus bills the Federal Cobra program is now available up to 36 mos, with 65% premium reductions.

WindowSeat

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Please don't bring god in to this. Has nothing to do with you sitting on your lazy bum and not looking for a job and mooching off society. Is that what your god would want you to do? I think not. So stop hiding behind him and start working.

Please dont get jealous people, just get over it, learn how to deal with resentment or else I will have to show off and rub everything in your face~

You're missing the point. No one here is jealous of you. Angry, frustrated - maybe. jealous, certainly not. For all the advice you're dishing out to us, how about you learn to stand on your two feet instead of living off society.

ManuCH

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 33):
Do we know for sure that he is not actively searching for a job? I'm not saying I support an individual who would rather take the money and do nothing.

If we're lucky, the appropriate authorities are reading this and will take action... or someone could tell them *hint hint*