Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dxing
Topic Author

Actor Stops Play To Chide Cell Phone Owner

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Three cheers for Jackman. I can't count the amount of times I've been in a movie theater and the movie has been disturbed by either A. a cell phone ringing B. A text alert C. Someones bright screen illuminating in the rows in front of me while the person is texting a message or reading one. I really get tired of people who think they are so important that they can't set the phone on vibrate, leave the theater to check their text, or just turn the damn phone off for the duration of a movie. Personal responsibility, whatever became of it?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....man-chiding-cell-phone-offender-ap

It shows Jackman breaking character to tell the owner of the ringing cell phone, "You want to get that?" as the audience erupts in cheers. As the ringing persists, Jackman pleads: "Come on, just turn it off." He then paces the stage of the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, waits about a minute for the ringing to stop and the play resumes.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

mirrodie

RE: Actor Stops Play To Chide Cell Phone Owner

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Brain Denehenny (sp?) did the same a few years back. kudos to them
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

OA260

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Brilliant !! People who have cell/mobile phones on in cinemas or theatres should get $50 on the spot fines.

LTU932

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Brilliant !! People who have cell/mobile phones on in cinemas or theatres should get $50 on the spot fines.

I say a minimum 200 Euro or 200 Dollar fine, and a ban from the place for at least a month for those who don't turn them off.

I do wonder though, why don't they require mobile phone owners to turn over their phone before going into the cinema/theatre? When I went to the Embassy today, I was required to leave my mobile locked in a locker, so why not do this in theatres/cinemas as well?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

AGM100

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Was it a cell phone or was it a off stage phone that was ringing ?... either way its funny . Nice to see these actors working their craft live , neither one of them are doing it for the money . Good job ,
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

B6JFKH81

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
I do wonder though, why don't they require mobile phone owners to turn over their phone before going into the cinema/theatre? When I went to the Embassy today, I was required to leave my mobile locked in a locker, so why not do this in theatres/cinemas as well?

Liability. You turn over the phone to the cinema or theater, they are responsible for any theft or damage.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

BMI727

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 5):
You turn over the phone to the cinema or theater, they are responsible for any theft or damage.

checkmark 

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
When I went to the Embassy today, I was required to leave my mobile locked in a locker,

That is a security issue. They did the same thing at a Boeing open house.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Here is the YouTube video of the incident.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6OpSdtvz8
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

B6JFKH81

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 7):
Here is the YouTube video of the incident.....

Sweeeeeeeet!  bigthumbsup 

But, that also means that someone was recording this (most likely on their cell phone) without the permission of the theater or production staff. Still a no no.  irked 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

N104UA

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Thank God people who use a Cell Phone in a Theatre deserve to be banned for life.
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 8):
But, that also means that someone was recording this....

Keep in mind, that was not me that filmed it. I don't do Broadway-like plays. I went to one play in my life and that was Cats back in 1989 in NYC.

tootallsd

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Cats is a musical not a play. An enormous difference. I love going to the movies but am getting tired of spending up to $30-$40 for two people (tickets, drinks, jujubes) and then have people act like they are in their living room.

allrite

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Just a pity it wasn't Christian Bale instead of Hugh Jackman. Big grin
I like artificial banana essence!

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:38 am

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 11):
Cats is a musical not a play.

I stand corrected. My apologies.  wave 

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 11):
I love going to the movies but am getting tired of spending up to $30-$40 for two people (tickets, drinks, jujubes) and then have people act like they are in their living room.

And having no more open captioned movies anymore. Sad That's why I don't do movie theatres anymore mainly because of this. I wait for them to come out on DVD.

N104UA

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:43 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):
I went to one play in my life and that was Cats back in 1989 in NYC.

Well from all of us in The Theatre Community we are sorry, Cats is not the best show to see if you are new to theatre, go see The Lion King, Wicked, Spamalot, Shrek or Rent if you want to see a show for the first time an Andrew Lloyd Webber show is not a good one for the first time, he is kind of intense.

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 am

Quoting N104UA (Reply 14):
Cats is not the best show to see if you are new to theatre...

I never said it was the best show...  confused  I said it was the only show I have ever seen in my life, which was back in 1989.

N104UA

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:09 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
I said it was the only show I have ever seen in my life, which was back in 1989.

What I am saying that if your first theatre show was Cats you might want to give it another chance because cats is not a good show, and I was saying see something else before you say you will never go to the theatre again.

KLASM83

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:48 am

Quoting Allrite (Reply 12):
Just a pity it wasn't Christian Bale instead of Hugh Jackman. Big grin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh good for you  wave . That would of been hilarious.

Really glad Jackman stood up the the cellphone problem. In the words of Mr. Bale cell phones are "f-ing distracting". Makes me wonder "what don't [the audiences] f-ing understand". No more cell phones in theaters, that's what.  highfive 
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

T prop

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:44 am

OA412

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:09 am

It's actually considered very bad form to break character in the middle of a play/musical. The guy with the phone is incredibly incosiderate but an actor should wait until the scene is over then have the guy removed from the theater.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

tsaord

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 am

I am not understanding something. Did the phone really go off in the theater? I'm surprised it kept ringing as long as it did. Or did the person have to get up to go find it?
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

san747

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 19):
It's actually considered very bad form to break character in the middle of a play/musical.

Actually, if you read up about the play and the character Jackman plays, he really doesn't break character during the incident. He obviously breaks the fourth wall, but that's different than breaking character.
Scotty doesn't know...

N104UA

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 20):
Did the phone really go off in the theater?

Yes it actually went off

Quoting San747 (Reply 21):
Actually, if you read up about the play and the character Jackman plays, he really doesn't break character during the incident. He obviously breaks the fourth wall, but that's different than breaking character.

Yes he is just not going to the script

san747

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 am

Quoting N104UA (Reply 22):

Yes he is just not going to the script

Right.
Scotty doesn't know...

Zentraedi

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

The thing is, how would you enforce that?

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 am

Quoting T prop (Reply 18):
To bad these are not legal in the US.

Actually, my A&P school has those installed. They want all cell phones off during school hours. Most students wont turn them off so the system is installed instead.

GDB

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:07 am

A few years ago, British actor Richard Griffiths on stage in London, endured multiple rings from the same phone in the audience, finally he stopped his performance and starting bollocking the offender.

It's the absolute height of bad manners, selfishness and stupidity, all you have to do is switch the thing off, they could train a monkey to do it.

My own view is that cinemas and theaters should go to their local hardware store, invest in a bench vise.
Anyone's phone rings during the show, take it off them, crunch it up in the vise then hand it back to the offender at the end.
In a tray.

Handy as these devices are, whatever scientific research has shown, it does seems these cases show that they DO affect the brains of some.

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:21 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 26):

That's a classic! I love that!  bouncy  Great idea!

N104UA

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

In NYC it is a $300 fine for using a cellphone in a theatre they just have no way to enforce it

mirrodie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:46 pm

It's actually considered very bad form to break character in the middle of a play/musical.

Would have been better form to have gone berserker on antagonist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRPm4qGR6F8

As an aside, Jackman and Craig in "A Steady Rain". Wow. Two great actors. Jackman does real well in theater. Glad to see them both still acknowledge theater.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

cnz3

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm going to see this play on October 23rd so I won't open the video.

It's actually considered very bad form to break character in the middle of a play/musical. The guy with the phone is incredibly incosiderate but an actor should wait until the scene is over then have the guy removed from the theater.

Take into account that it's also just a preview show. They're not expected to do everything exactly by the book. If it happened during the show's regular run... I still wouldn't have a problem with Hugh yelling at the guy. It's totally inconsiderate.

Hugh's no stranger to incidents. If you remember the last time Hugh was on Broadway (The Boy From Oz), during a scene where he kisses his boyfriend, he had a patron yell out "DON'T DO IT WOLVERINE!!". He rightly cracked up at this, as did the audience. I only know this from reading a NYT review, but found it funny.

Link to the review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/theater/13heal.html?_r=1
D94/5 DH1/2/3/4 CR2/7/A/9 E45/70/75/90 319/20/21 734/G/8/9 752/3 762/3/4 313 333 388 L1011 772/L/W

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38 pm

When I was living in Ireland, there was a quite good rock band playing in various pubs in Limerick. At the same Time I just had bought my Zenzai Bronica medium format camera and wanted to try it out with low light settings. So I loadedv it up with high sensitive film and went to a pub where this band was playing. I took quite a lor of pictures and got later told that I was the first photographer they accepted taking pictures of them. They apparently hated photo flashes, and would break off their gig if somebody would flash into their faces.
For myself, I actually wanted to catch the coloured light effects and their dress (they were dressing up a bit like KISS from the late 1970s), so I was intentionally not using any flash at all (though I had my big flash gun in my camera case).

BTW, having a professional camera with me seemed also have made me into a kind of chick magnet. Apparently many girls thought that I was a photographer for some magazine or so and wanted to have their pictures taken, giving me their telephone numbers...

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi