Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Penske Ends Talks With Saturn

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Just breaking now, I'm not sure what this will mean for GM or Penske.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/BREAK...-Talks/8bMJxuGpdEOWig4OxjsRfQ.cspx

B6JFKH81

RE: Penske Ends Talks With Saturn

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Very sad. I think that over time, the Saturn product really made leaps and bounds in their design, branding and service compared to most other American made cars. Another one bites the dust....

tombstone 

N328KF

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 pm

They should transfer Saturn to Opel and see what happens. That would give GM competition that they don't want, I'm sure.

Flighty

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:29 pm

wow! Most analysts thought this was already a done deal. I thought GM was crazy to sell the valuable franchise on the open market... A successful Saturn (say, one importing Daewoos or Renaults) would only decrease GM's sales and depress their pricing. I am stunned that Penske no longer believes in it. GM should be glad though.

Dreadnought

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 1):
Very sad. I think that over time, the Saturn product really made leaps and bounds in their design, branding and service compared to most other American made cars. Another one bites the dust....

I found them to be the most boring cars on the planet - right next to Daewoo on the 'gotta-have-it' meter.

kc135topboom

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 3):
Most analysts thought this was already a done deal

No, most analysts didn't agree with the government taking over two of three auto companies. Now, we will not only loose the great Pontiac name, but it looks like Saturn will be gone soon, too. GM has already said they want to dump Saturn and Hummer. Hummer was sold to the Chinese.

LMP737

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:00 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 3):
A successful Saturn (say, one importing Daewoos or Renaults)

Two brands that failed here in the states.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):
I found them to be the most boring cars on the planet - right next to Daewoo on the 'gotta-have-it' meter.

The Daewoo was garbage. Satrun, when it was still Saturn, made a good product. The one I have has over 150K with no major issues. While a Volkswagon for examplemay look nicer I'll take my Saturn any day in terms of reliablity.

BMI727

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:28 pm

I for one will not miss Saturn a bit. I can't see any reason to get a Saturn when a Honda, VW, etc. can give better value and performance.

dxing

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:48 pm

A sad day indeed for the residents of Spring Hill, Tennessee and all employees of Saturn as well as their network of dealers.

LMP737

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 8):
A sad day indeed for the residents of Spring Hill, Tennessee and all employees of Saturn as well as their network of dealers.

The Spring Hill plant stopped producing Saturns several years ago and switched to other GM products. Even though Traverse production is being moved the Spring Hill facility is in the running to build a new sub-compact for GM.

ltbewr

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:17 am

Looks like Saturn has joined Pontaic, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Rambler/AMC, Studebaker, Nash, Hudson et al. as now dead brands. Then there is the ruin of the remaining dealerships with many millions in losses to them and to their communites. Any used Saturn just took a 50% drop in value. What was supposed to be 'new kind of car company' became just another lousy piece of GM. Guess Mr. Penske had an attack of common sense, GM seemed to be unsure to be able to deliver new models and GM has to kill it off to save what is left of GM.

LMP737

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:31 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
Guess Mr. Penske had an attack of common sense, GM seemed to be unsure to be able to deliver new models and GM has to kill it off to save what is left of GM.

Wonder what took him so long. You could not help but think what car company would produce cars to compete with themselves. Maybe a company like Opel but they have other problems to worry about.

Ken777

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:41 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):

Sort of agree with you there, but my son-in-law has one and it has gone 100K miles without a problem. One scratch on the outside but the car looks about a year old inside and out.

Can probably only get another 100K or so on it before a trade in is needed.

As for the Brands - I would like to see the German government put up a cash bid for Opel, with no restrictions, and then pick up the Saturn dealers as they close up shop. Open could even open one factory in the US and import the balance of the line.

GM would scream, but creditors who lost out in GM's Ch 11 could present some compelling arguments that might actually bring Opel back to the US.

That would be fun to watch.

asuflyer05

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 am

Too bad. I think RP would have been successful with marketing Saturn and repositioning it. They've done a great job with Smart even given the economy.

tsaord

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
No, most analysts didn't agree with the government taking over two of three auto companies. Now, we will not only loose the great Pontiac name

Great name?? Most people I know just despise Pontiacs. I never heard anything great about them my whole life lol. But I think they were making a comeback. I still like the G6 and even thought about getting one before the go away next year.

T prop

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50 am

Who would want a Saturn if Penske got a hold of the company? From what I've read else where, Penskes plan was to cut a deal with a Chinese manufacturer to import cars into the US and sell them under the Saturn name.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/bu...iness/20saturn.html?pagewanted=all

nws2002

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:13 am

I have a 1993 SC2 with over 240,000 miles on it. The car still runs great, the only part that has stopped working is the sunroof, so I just don't open it because you have to manually close it with the little allen wrench. I bought the car used for $1600 in 2000, my first car.

I bought a new car 6 months ago, but this little guy still sits in my garage, and I drove it last week for a few days while my new car had a recall issue taken care of. Forgot how much fun it is to drive, almost like a go-cart.

I'm sad to see the brand go, but I would have never bought one of the new ones from the last few years anyways. They stopped using the polymer side panels, and they were nothing more than GM parts thrown together and rebranded.

Flighty

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:26 am

Penske is a guy with high standards. If he got Saturn they would have imported good cars. He would have made sure they were good. This is why he was dangerous to GM. He understands how to make money selling cars, while GM for a while there was way off in the weeds. During those years, Penske got filthy rich in the car business... Selling quality units and pleasing his customers. Again I believe GM dodged a bullet here. Or, they intentionally sank this.

Type-Rated

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:49 am

GM had such high hopes for the Saturn line when they first started it back in the early 80's. They talked about it being the "high tech" division of GM. They promised leading edge technology such as ceramic engines, hybrid vehicles, etc. Instead it became a rather boring econobox line.

There are some very avid fans of Saturn cars. Look at all the 'homecomings' they had at the factory where the owners would drive their Saturns back to the factory for a get together. So they must have done something right. I rented a Saturn Vue on vacation a few years ago. I just found the ergonomics of it to be very strange. It also just felt cheap. I drive a Mazda Tribute, and there really was no comparison between the two.

renfnl

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 am

I have always wondered as part of the restructure why GM didn't shift Saturn to an all Hybrid company, since they already produce hybrids in all classes. Even use recycled plastics for the bodies. It might have helped Saturn, certainly GM's reputation and at least consumers would have a small indication of what their billions of $$ was spent on.

kc135topboom

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 14):
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
No, most analysts didn't agree with the government taking over two of three auto companies. Now, we will not only loose the great Pontiac name

Great name?? Most people I know just despise Pontiacs.

My first car (way back in the late '60s) was a 1962 Pontiac Catilina convertable, with a 389. It was a great "date" car, and as long as a city block. I have fond memories of things that happened to me in that car parked on the beaches or woods in Massachusetts. I als had a 1962 Rambler station wagon (it had no radio, so I hung one from a 1958 Plymouth under the all metal dash and speakers under the front seat), where the front and back seats folded down flat, making a perfectly flat floor all the way from the dash to the tail gate.

Later I got my first Ford Mustang, and have been hooked on Ford ever since.

PHLBOS

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 20):
My first car (way back in the late '60s) was a 1962 Pontiac Catilina convertable, with a 389.

thumbsup  Sweet Ride. Big grin

csturdiv

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:54 pm

I had a 2001 SL2, that while was not the sportiest of cars, was great on the gas mileage. On the highway, I was getting 35mpg average, the most was 37mpg on one trip. After an old lady hit me and State Farm totaled the car, I was kind of sad to see it go.

YVRLTN

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:08 pm

There is nothing wrong with the Astra for example, but it had already been out in Europe for several years before coming over here - so theyre immediately lagging behind their Japanese rivals.

Now that Saturn is consigned to the history books along with Mercury, apparently GM are however going to be introducing a new line called Uranus. The intention was they were to wipe up everything else on the road, but initial reports seem to reveal that these will also be really shi**y cars. Crash ratings are also rumored to be very low and to get rear ended creates a-hole new meaning for the driver. Big grin