WarRI1
Topic Author

Do You Do Random Acts Of Kindness?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:17 am

No link, just a question. On a lighter note. Does anyone do Random Acts of kindness where you do not ask or receive any recognition? If this has been covered before, I am not aware, so forgive me if it has. I like to pay checks in resturants, for someone who catches my eye, I first heard of this from my wife who saw this on Oprah a few years ago.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

ajd1992

RE: Do You Do Random Acts Of Kindness?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Nope, never. I'm not nice enough, and before anybody says that's tight, nobody does it for me either  Wink

Paying for somebody else's meal could be construed as flirty, especially if it's a woman or group of women.

AGM100

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Yes all the time . In a week around the school, coaching and working with kids...acts of kindness are regular events. Everything from , getting players home from practice , waiting with kids until there parents pick them up , fixing equipment , first aid for bangs and bruises , talking to kids about problems they are having at home or whatever , helping with homework and just doing good things for kids who need help. It is the favorite part of my life , I am so thankful that I can spend time with all of them and act as a peer to some of them. I am a successful person who spends time practicing what I preach .... I want a better world so I do something about it. And it starts with our kids ... I recommend it to anyone. Spend some time at your kids school you will begin doing all kinds of acts of kindness everyday.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:21 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 1):
Paying for somebody else's meal could be construed as flirty, especially if it's a woman or group of women.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with picking up women. I pick out people who look like they might need an act of kindness. Strictly a feeling on my part, as to who they are. Yesterday it was a young fellow in a wheelchair with a disabling disease of some kind. He had a women helping him.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:30 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 2):
Yes all the time . In a week around the school, coaching and working with kids...acts of kindness are regular events. Everything from , getting players home from practice , waiting with kids until there parents pick them up , fixing equipment , first aid for bangs and bruises , talking to kids about problems they are having at home or whatever , helping with homework and just doing good things for kids who need help. It is the favorite part of my life , I am so thankful that I can spend time with all of them and act as a peer to some of them. I am a successful person who spends time practicing what I preach .... I want a better world so I do something about it. And it starts with our kids ... I recommend it to anyone. Spend some time at your kids school you will begin doing all kinds of acts of kindness everyday.

We may not agree on certain things, but I agree with you on your concept of helping others.  bigthumbsup 

MCOflyer

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:27 am

Yes, I like volunteer at the hospital. I like to get doors for people, give spare change at the checkout line, help fellow old citizens put their groceries in their car.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

fr8mech

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:43 am

I've pulled over to help when I see a hood put up.

Given jumps to people in the parking lots.

Open/hold doors.

One time, about 9 months ago, I saw someone with a sign asking for help to buy food at the top of an exit ramp. I was on my way to work and stopped at a Subway drive-thru to buy my lunch. Before I left the lot, I pulled back into the drive-thru and bought another turkey sandwich. Gave it to the guy and drove away. Very out of character for me.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

greggarious

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:20 am

I've had a string of occasions over the past couple of weeks where I've given people a free swipe from my MetroCard at subway stations. I've felt kind of bad because I'm exiting the station and they're watching the train, just standing at the turnstiles, and the trains pull away right as I realize what's going on and swipe them in. So now I've been trying to swipe them in in time to catch the train that's right there for them.

ShyFlyer

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:41 am

Does not succumbing to road rage count as an act of kindness? Because there are sooooo many people to run off the road.....but I don't.
I lift things up and put them down.

ag92

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:52 am

All the time where I feel it is necessary. When people need help, I give it to them expecting nothing in return has happened before many times.

The best scene was when I was swimmming in my home condominium, and I hear this scream from someone outside, and she was pointing to a little child who was apparently "drowning" in her eyes (may have been don't know) and with all the people looking at her, I decided to approach the child and bring him back to what I suppose would be his mother. His mother takes him, looks back and starts scolding him. I didn't expect any kindness from her and neither did I get it

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 9):
I didn't expect any kindness from her and neither did I get it

That is the best way, do it to help someone and get the self satisfaction of helping. Do not expect gratitude, most times you would get it, sometimes not. I have only been discovered once, by a disabled Viet Nam Vet. He was not happy about me paying the check. I and my friends just said to him, thanks for your service. He finally, at the urging of his wife accepted the gesture for what it was.

N104UA

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:24 am

Yes, cause I believe in Karma
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

lincoln

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:47 am

To answer the question: Yes, occassionally, but not as often as I'd like. Usually, it comes down to "right situation/wrong time".

I do the normal hold doors, offer a hand when I see someone having trouble with something etc. but I also like to just do completely random things (If I'm flying on Thanksgiving or Christmas day, which I usually am I like to give the crew a card thanking them for spending time away from their families + for the past year of getting me where I need to go when I need to get there)

One thing I don't do and can't ever see myself doing is stop for disabled cars/accidents: I don't know enough about either cars or first aid to be useful to anyone and based on what I was taught in drivers ed re: liability and leaving the scene of an accident it just seems like too much risk. But I'd like to think if I saw an emminent threat to life all that would go out the window.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 10):
That is the best way, do it to help someone and get the self satisfaction of helping. Do not expect gratitude, most times you would get it, sometimes not.

Exactly, there's the personal satisfaction that comes from doing the act. If you don't expect anything more you don't get all jaded/pissed off at the world -- and when you do get that external gratitude/karma/payback/satisfaction it's that much more sweet.

And if you don't get immediate payback... it will come back to you at some point. Karma is one of the few things I can't see, feel, touch, or measure that I beleive in  Smile

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jcs17

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:05 pm

If I have cash, I'll usually throw a buck to a hobo.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 13):
If I have cash, I'll usually throw a buck to a hobo

That certainly qualifies as a random act of kindness, really anything for other people does. It is really a self reward after you do it.

lhr380

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:47 pm

Always hold open doors for people, give up my seat on the bus for a women/elderly etc.
Do what ever I can for armed forces personal when I see them at work.
I wanted to today say hello to a group of athletes I think from Samoa. After all they have gone though the past 2 weeks they were all were upbeat and smiling, but I suddenly got busy and could not.
The other day I felt very good when assisting as passenger that had nothing to do with my airline. Police brought him over SHOCKED at how he had been treated by another airline and wanted to see if we could help. I had no problem doing it and helped as best I could getting contact numbers and using the phone. Im not there just for my airline (well I don't think I am) Im there to provide customer service. He may well use my airline the next time over the other one. But even if he does not, I helped someone and saw them and the police men leave with smiles on there faces.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

lincoln

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 15):
I had no problem doing it and helped as best I could getting contact numbers and using the phone. Im not there just for my airline (well I don't think I am) Im there to provide customer service. He may well use my airline the next time over the other one.

Just as a point -- even if he doesn't use your airline next time, someone within ear shot may -- I know I've seen situations were staff are trying their best to help someone else with something so clearly out of their control / "above and beyond" what's normal (though I must admit my curiosity about how an airline could bungle things so badly the police got involved) that it's influenced my purchases later -- the converse is also true, like the NW agent at DTW who snapped "If you'd TURN around and READ the frigging SIGN! Sheesh" at a woman who had just gotten off of a flight, very young children in tow and was asking for connecting gate info.

Like I said earlier it goes to karma -- you may not get immediate payback, you may not get payback from the person you helped, but eventually, it will come around.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Klaus

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 16):
Like I said earlier it goes to karma -- you may not get immediate payback, you may not get payback from the person you helped, but eventually, it will come around.

I think that's still a rather self-centered view of things. And there is too much evidence speaking against it anyway.

I simply like it when the world around me is more like I want it to be.

I like it when things work as intended and not just as someone who creates things that should work properly but also in terms of people making the world worth living in.

I don't maintain a balance sheet of favours which I hoped to come out even eventually – when I help someone, I just enjoy the world being a little more like it is supposed to be in my eyes; And the same is true when people go out of their way helping me.

Some things simply should be, and getting them there is its own reward. No karma, divine reward or anything like that required – that would actually taint it for me.

MadameConcorde

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Me too as much as I can whenever the opportunity comes up like giving up a seat on a bus or train to an elderly person. I think it is very important.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

MarSciGuy

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 4):

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 2):

We may not agree on certain things, but I agree with you on your concept of helping others. bigthumbsup

Many kudos AGM  thumbsup  You are the type of teacher that I was blessed to have a couple of in school and that inspired me to be pursuing education now  Smile
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 18):
Me too as much as I can whenever the opportunity comes up like giving up a seat on a bus or train to an elderly person. I think it is very important

Good for you Madame, and all the others who help out in this sometimes insane world.  Smile

Fly2HMO

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:58 am

The opportunity rarely presents itself to where I can do an act of kindness. But I've done most of what everybody has done here, except for buying some random person their lunch/dinner/whatever.

But yes I do get the warm fuzzy feeling most of the time.

FX772LRF

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 am

I try to hold doors open for people whenever possible. It's just the way I was raised.

Not really random act of kindness, but I make sure to say thank you anytime it's appropriate.

-Noah  wave 
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:43 am

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 13):
If I have cash, I'll usually throw a buck to a hobo.

I never give homeless people money. Its enabling, not helping them. I've spent too many Saturdays at homeless shelters helping out to see how lazy and addicted they often are to drugs and alcohol to help themselves. If I had the ability I'd hand out meds rather than money.

sccutler

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:25 am

Basic human dignity requires that you treat people with respect; it is amazing the degree to which this principle has become lost.

The form this respect may take can vary by circumstance- example: New Yorkers can be very abrupt and appear (to a southerner) to be rude, but drill down to the actual actions, and they usually come through.

Be kind, treat others like family. Not too tough to do, payback is in the soul.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...