lxa333
Topic Author

World Cup 2010 Qualifications

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:08 pm

This week and the next will determine or already have determined which teams go on to play in the WC and in the WC play-offs.

So far, today Ukraine beat England(WTF!). Which means that Croatia will most likely not make it surprisingly since andorra needs to beat or tie Ukraine in order for croatia to advance.

Bosnia has made it to the play-offs and we won't see any spectacular Turkey moments in 2010 sadly.

Argentina is on the ropes today, they need to win both of the games left to qualify.

Portugal will also need to win their games to go on.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

Luftfahrer

RE: World Cup 2010 Qualifications

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Quoting Lxa333 (Thread starter):
Which means that Croatia will most likely not make it surprisingly since andorra needs to beat or tie Ukraine in order for croatia to advance.

That is surprising indeed, since they won 2-1 vs Germany last year at the Euro 2008. Seeing England loose against Ukraine is kind of remarkable. The headlines in the UK tomorrow won't be too pleasant for sure!
We won against Russia today, thus we're already qualified for South Africa 2010, as expected anyway. The hotel the German team is going to stay at has been booked for months...
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

fraspotter

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:19 pm

I haven't really been paying attention to the WC qualifying but how's the USA team doing?
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

LTU932

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Here's the list of teams already qualified:

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)

CONMEBOL (South America):

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

CONCAFAF (North, Central America and Caribbean):

None so far

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches in progress:

OFC vs AFC:

Bahrain (BAH) vs New Zealand (NZL): 0:0 (Return leg to be played in NZL on the 14th of November)

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

None so far

UEFA vs UEFA:

None so far
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

lxa333
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 1):
We won against Russia today, thus we're already qualified for South Africa 2010, as expected anyway. The hotel the German team is going to stay at has been booked for months...

It was a great game, but yes as expected Germany is one of those teams along with Brazil and Italy that you obviously never have to worry about qualifying.

There were a lot of penalties that should've been called, sorta reminded me of the Barca-Chels 2nd leg in champions league last year.

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 2):
I haven't really been paying attention to the WC qualifying but how's the USA team doing?

The USA is fine as long as they win today against Costa Rica, they're at the top of the table above Mexico with 16 and 15 pts respectively, we win today we go to South Africa 99%.

LTU932

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 2):

They're doing fine. AFAIK they're in first place of the fourth round, however as said in my list above, none of the CONCACAF teams have so far qualified, and given how close it is, most of the decisions will come down to the results next Wednesday, although I believe the US and Mexico can qualify with a victory today.

Quoting Lxa333 (Reply 4):
The USA is fine as long as they win today against Costa Rica

The US is playing against Honduras tonight. Their match against Costa Rica is on Wednesday.

[Edited 2009-10-10 13:33:39]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LTU932

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Updated list of qualified teams, as two more teams in Europe have their ticket to South Africa:

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

None so far

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches:

OFC vs AFC:

Bahrain (BAH) vs New Zealand (NZL): 0:0 (Return leg to be played in NZL on the 14th of November)

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

None so far

UEFA vs UEFA:

None so far

Alias1024

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:06 pm

It's amazing how much trouble Argentina is in. Argentina failing to qualify for the World Cup would have been unimaginable a year ago. Portugal being on the brink of missing the World Cup isn't as shocking but still a little strange. Imagine a World Cup without arguably the two best players in the world currently, Lionel Messi and Christiano Ronaldo.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 5):
They're doing fine. AFAIK they're in first place of the fourth round, however as said in my list above, none of the CONCACAF teams have so far qualified, and given how close it is, most of the decisions will come down to the results next Wednesday, although I believe the US and Mexico can qualify with a victory today.

checkmark 
The US will qualify if they win either of their next two matches. Winning in Tegucigalpa is going to be very tough. At least the match against Costa Rica is being played in the United States.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

fatmirjusufi

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
Korea DPR (PRK)

From now I'm being so enthusiastic to watch their matches.  Smile

LTU932

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 7):
It's amazing how much trouble Argentina is in. Argentina failing to qualify for the World Cup would have been unimaginable a year ago.

It's the federation's fault. I mean, why the hell did the AFA decide to hire Maradona, a man who washed out in his two attempts as manager, in the first place? And nowadays, the conflict between Maradona and his former mentor, Carlos Bilardo, can't be overlooked anymore. If Argentina goes to the playoffs, it's over. Some people in Argentina were even calling for a return of Marcelo Bielsa, who's had great success with Chile.

Portugal being on the brink of missing the World Cup isn't as shocking but still a little strange.

Portugal is currently winning against Hungary, but I'm still hoping that Hungary will win and get that playoff spot. This way, they can also shut up Ronaldo and provide us the beautiful sight of Ronaldo crying his ass off after having failed miserably.  Wink

And before you ask: Yes, I do hate Cristiano Ronaldo. He, along with David Beckham, is one of the most overrated players in the world. Hell, I prefer the original, Brazilian Ronaldo over the Portuguese one.

jcs17

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm just happy North Korea qualified.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Alias1024

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
And before you ask: Yes, I do hate Cristiano Ronaldo. He, along with David Beckham, is one of the most overrated players in the world.

Cristiano Ronaldo is stunned by your criticism

EZEIZA

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
It's the federation's fault. I mean, why the hell did the AFA decide to hire Maradona, a man who washed out in his two attempts as manager, in the first place?

I'll tell you why: Grondona (AFA president) hates Maradona, but the people love him, so by putting him as coach, if everything goes well it was Grondona's move that made it happen (who by the way is pretty much hated down here), but everything goes wrong, he managed to whipe Maradona's untouchable status and gain an "I told you so" for everyone.
I love this country, but I hope Maradona doesn't qualify. I hate him, and as a coach he has done NOTHING to deserve the position. Unfortunately, Argentina will win today and the Maradonamania will be back.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Continental

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting Lxa333 (Thread starter):
Which means that Croatia
will most likely not make it surprisingly since andorra needs to beat or tie Ukraine in order for croatia to advance.

That is incredibly surprising and will make the World Cup a lot less fun for me. Why does Croatia always seem to get stuck in groups with an international superstar team?

eicvd

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:14 pm

What do people on here think of the seedings for the four Uefa play-off spots? Its a disgrase really. My country are gauranteed 2nd in Group 8 but by the looks of it will probably draw either France, Russia, Portugal or Greece. Id much rather look forward to an open draw were we could poosibly face Slovenia or Bosnia. But im not worried to much to be honest, Greece are not that good IMO and Portugal & France are no where near as good as they were. Id be worried about playing Russia though, wont be much fun going there in November? (I pressume the play-offs are next month) & I think Andrei Arshavin could destroy us if he was on form.
COYBIB

Springbok747

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:14 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
OFC (Oceania):

I thought Australia had qualified for South Africa 2010, or am I mistaken?
אני תומך בישראל

Pyrex

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)

Uh, that's going to be fun to watch. Any chance of them ending up in the same group for the World Cup?

BTW, I assume that with both being part of Asia, at some point the two teams would have had to have crossed paths... how do they usually handle those situations? Are games played in neutral territory? How do they guarantee that... hmmm... the entire North Korean team doesn't defect afterwards?

Quoting Lxa333 (Reply 4):
It was a great game, but yes as expected Germany is one of those teams along with Brazil and Italy that you obviously never have to worry about qualifying.

Like Argentina?  duck 

Imagine a World Cup without arguably the two best players in the world currently, Lionel Messi and Christiano Ronaldo.

That would be kind of weird, indeed, although to be honest I am not totally sure Portugal deserves to be there, Their group was pretty easy and they have managed to almost totally screw this whole thing up. At least we won 3-0 against Hungary today and only need to win against Malta on Wednesday to make it to the play-off.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

LTU932

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:28 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 15):
I thought Australia had qualified for South Africa 2010, or am I mistaken?

Australia is now in the AFC. They left the OFC in January 2006 to join the AFC, where chances of them qualifying for the World Cup are way better than in the OFC.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 16):
Any chance of them ending up in the same group for the World Cup?

Absolutely no chance in hell. I believe the group draw does not allow two teams from the same confederation in one group, the only exception being for UEFA teams, since they have the most teams in the World Cup with 13 (up to 14 with a European host being automatically qualified).

EDIT: I'm updating the list with two more teams:

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)
Chile (CHI)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

Mexico (MEX)

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches:

OFC vs AFC:

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

None so far

UEFA vs UEFA:

None so far

[Edited 2009-10-10 18:30:24]

Alias1024

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:54 am

That would be kind of weird, indeed, although to be honest I am not totally sure Portugal deserves to be there, Their group was pretty easy and they have managed to almost totally screw this whole thing up. At least we won 3-0 against Hungary today and only need to win against Malta on Wednesday to make it to the play-off.

Agreed. It's shocking that a player as dominant as Ronaldo has been at the club level hasn't found the net in qualifying.

Derico

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:12 am

A lot of people in Argentina are hoping we are eliminated... this team is officially loathed. Even when they were winning today they heard it from the whole stadium (losers, pansies, ''have some balls''). I'm fully expecting to lose to Uruguay, so I'll be watching Chile-Ecuador.

Most of Latin America would love seing Argentina out of the world cup (the historic rivarly us vs them), Ecuador, Uruguay and Venezuela for obvious qualifying reasons, Brazil, Chile, for other extra-football reasons haha.

All I'm hoping for is Grondona gets a heart-attack or something. Yes, I am wishing for a man's ill. Just some ''accident'' so he has to leave AFA. He is trully an evil individual.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

alberchico

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:02 am

Did anybody catch the qualification game between Argentina and Peru today. Jesus Christ that was some game. People in the sports bar I was in went wild at the end!!!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=230075&cc=5901

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/10/10/deportes.html

click on the second video down to see the goal

[Edited 2009-10-10 20:10:17 by alberchico]
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

LTU932

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:12 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 19):
All I'm hoping for is Grondona gets a heart-attack or something.

I know Grondona is hated in Argentina, but damn...  

EDIT: Looks like the US has basically won their match in Honduras, so another update:

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)
Chile (CHI)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

Mexico (MEX)
United States (USA)

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches:

OFC vs AFC:

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

None so far

UEFA vs UEFA:

None so far

[Edited 2009-10-10 20:40:37]

mke717spotter

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:38 am

Yikes, I really found myself sweatin it out there towards the end of the US-Honduras match, but thankfully they were able to pull it out and at the same time advance to the World cup for the sixth straight time!  bigthumbsup  Can't say the same for my Polish team, however. Even though they came into play today with little chance of making the World Cup, they made it official with another flat performance, this time against Czech Republic. Now I'm gonna have to wait until Euro 2012 to see them play any kind of competitive match...  faint 
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

CamiloA380

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:12 am

Ecuador 1-2 Uruguay !! soon Uruguay vs Argentina, is now or never for Uruguay!

GO URUGUAY!!!!

CamiloA380
Flying4Ever!

lxa333
Topic Author

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:39 am

Quoting Camiloa380 (Reply 23):

I watched that game and I've always been a huge fan of Forlan! What a legend!

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 22):
Now I'm gonna have to wait until Euro 2012 to see them play any kind of competitive match

At least you know they're definitely going to Euro 2012. I was quite surprised when Croatia got knocked out. Its one of my fave teams, its gonna be weird not seeing them in the standings, but w.e.
France/USA for 2010. France has to do a little work in the playoffs to qualify although.

CPH-R

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:50 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 21):
Denmark (DEN)

banghead 

We have been so god damn lucky in these qualifiers, it's quite unbelievable. Of course, the combined danish press is now hard at work laughing at the Swedes for losing last nights game, rather than pointing out just how poor our own team did it. Not to mention that Sweden had two goals cancelled, when at least one of them appeared to be ok.

Quoting EICVD (Reply 14):
What do people on here think of the seedings for the four Uefa play-off spots?

An absolute disgrace and further evidence, as if any was needed, that FIFA/UEFA are only interested in money and not about promoting the game of football. Had the rule been in place at the start of the qualifiers, it would have been fair enough since everyone knew what the playing field was. But changing them this late in the game reeks of UEFA wanting to give the bigger teams an easier shot at getting to the World Cup, regardless of their performance in the qualifier.

LTU932

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:53 am

Quoting Camiloa380 (Reply 23):

Given how bad Argentina plays, winning against the Gauchos should be easier than ever for the Charrúas.  Wink

travelexec

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:56 am

I agree - If ireland gets Russia, we are toast... Greece would turn into 2 nil-all draws, France depends on which France turns up. Portugal I would rate 50/50.

We always play worse against lower rated opposition so no guarantees against Bosnia-H or Slovenia either...

Bummer last night against the Italians... close, but no cigar...

ALexeu

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:03 am

I am very glad that Serbia has qualified! I hope to see at least silver medal ! 5-0 victory over Romania.

aviationmaster

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:09 am

France, Russia, Portugal or Greece.

Thinks aren't as bad as they look for the Irish - since Trappatoni took over, you've made quite a comeback. Of those four teams, Russia is probably the strongest opponent at the moment.

What do people on here think of the seedings for the four Uefa play-off spots?

Did something change here? Hasn't it always been so that a weaker team will always face a stronger one? Regardless, I disagree with it too - big teams shouldn't be compensated for their crap football by being awared an "easier" opponent in the play-offs. Despite this, any "weaker" team that makes gets a UEFA play-off spot has shown enough strength to beat one of the big teams.

CPH-R

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:49 am

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 29):
Did something change here? Hasn't it always been so that a weaker team will always face a stronger one?

Nope, the rules were changed (over the summer I think) from free-for-all to a seeding system instead, which is why people are complaining.

I'm not exactly sure if it's legal (according to their own rules) to do it.

travelexec

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:22 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 30):
Nope, the rules were changed (over the summer I think) from free-for-all to a seeding system instead, which is why people are complaining.

I'm not exactly sure if it's legal (according to their own rules) to do it.

This is a fairly recent "clarification". UEFA/FIFA (can't remember which) had said at the beginning of qualification that they were leaving this open as a possibility. They only stated that it would happen when there were 2 qualifying games left (out of 10) which is a little late in the day, although in truth the timing of the announcement should not matter - each team should be trying to get as many points as possible, regardless of the qualifying plan. Would Ireland have played things differently if they thought that their prospective play-off opponent would be weaker? I don't think so.

That said, the premise itself is flawed. Effectively, this idea provides double advantage to the seeded teams like France, and as AviationMaster says rewards them for poor football with an easier opponent.

If Ireland had had France's seeding in the groups [TOP instead of THIRD] perhaps they would have got through as 1st in the group. To get to the finals, France will have been guaranteed no opposition at/above their level (group stages they were top seeds, and in the play-off they get a lower placed nation) whereas Ireland is guaranteed to have to overcome 3 teams higher up the chain (2 in the group stage, making it past Bulgaria, but not Italy, and then again another in the play-off).

This is the WORLD cup, not the CLOSED-SHOP-CUP-FOR-SELF-IMPORTANT-NATIONS... let us all have a chance...

Pyrex

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 25):
Of course, the combined danish press is now hard at work laughing at the Swedes for losing last nights game

As a Portuguese person, let me thank you collectively on behalf of the nation of Portugal for not pulling a EURO 2004 on us (i.e., making sure that the result of the Denmark - Sweden game was the one that benefited the combined interests of Scandinavia the most). I bet the Italians are thinking "why did they screw us and not the Portuguese?" right now. I don't have an answer to that but thanks anyway.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

EZEIZA

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:34 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 32):
As a Portuguese person, let me thank you collectively on behalf of the nation of Portugal for not pulling a EURO 2004 on us (i.e., making sure that the result of the Denmark - Sweden game was the one that benefited the combined interests of Scandinavia the most). I bet the Italians are thinking "why did they screw us and not the Portuguese?" right now. I don't have an answer to that but thanks anyway

Apparently that 2-2 just was a coincidence  Yeah sure
btw, regarding Argentina, it's going to be one hell of a last round with several alternatives:

If Argentina wins and Ecuador loses, Argentina are in and Uruguay plays the play off
If Argentina and Uruguay draw and Ecuador loses, the same
If Argentina and Uruguay draw and Euador wins, Uruguay are out
If Argentina loses and Ecuador wins, Argentina are out (and Ecuador plays the play offs).
If Argentuna loses and Ecuador doesn't win, then it's Uruguay in and Argentina inthe play offs.
Interesting thing is that Ecuador will be playing Chile, who have already qualified and who hate Argentina. It's all in the hands of the Charruas! If they can stand the pressure, they should beat this ridiculous Maradroga team, but Uruguay sometimes does the unthinkable, like winning in Quito and then losing at home against inferior teams.

Continental

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:56 am

Well, let's go Andorra! Now's a great time to redeem yourself!

Yellowstone

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 am

Quoting TravelExec (Reply 31):
Effectively, this idea provides double advantage to the seeded teams like France, and as AviationMaster says rewards them for poor football with an easier opponent.

That statement makes no logical sense. France is ranked higher than, say, Ireland not because they are bigger, but because in the past few years they have played better football. France earned its seed with its performance on the field - they aren't being rewarded for poor performance.

Quoting TravelExec (Reply 31):
To get to the finals, France will have been guaranteed no opposition at/above their level

Why is this a problem? France is ranked as the eighth best team in UEFA - given that there are thirteen spots, they shouldn't have to play anyone better than them. It's the teams that aren't among those top thirteen teams (based on past performance) that have to prove they are worthy of World Cup berths by beating superior teams.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

CamiloA380

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:25 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 33):
If Argentina wins and Ecuador loses, Argentina are in and Uruguay plays the play off
If Argentina and Uruguay draw and Ecuador loses, the same
If Argentina and Uruguay draw and Euador wins, Uruguay are out
If Argentina loses and Ecuador wins, Argentina are out (and Ecuador plays the play offs).
If Argentuna loses and Ecuador doesn't win, then it's Uruguay in and Argentina inthe play offs.
Interesting thing is that Ecuador will be playing Chile, who have already qualified and who hate Argentina. It's all in the hands of the Charruas! If they can stand the pressure, they should beat this ridiculous Maradroga team, but Uruguay sometimes does the unthinkable, like winning in Quito and then losing at home against inferior teams.

Yeah, Uruguay vs Argentina gonna be one hell of a match, imagine - all the tickets to the stadium are already bought
Flying4Ever!

GrinddalCPH

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Wow, and you wonder why they did not qualify, Well Arrogance like that, sure had a saying i bet.

Easy group? Come on!

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 25):
We have been so god damn lucky in these qualifiers, it's quite unbelievable. Of course, the combined danish press is now hard at work laughing at the Swedes for losing last nights game, rather than pointing out just how poor our own team did it. Not to mention that Sweden had two goals cancelled, when at least one of them appeared to be ok.

Sure your not swedish?

Both goals were correctly disallowed !

And, for us being lucky, im not even going to comment on it, as it is a typical comment, by on who does not have an eye for the defensive aspect of a game, aswell as goalkeeping.

Sure there has been luck involved, but that's part of the game! the last 6 or so years, we have been pure UNLUCKY! But still, I think we deserve the spot.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway!

CamiloA380

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Quoting GrinddalCPH (Reply 37):
Easy group? Come on!

Lol, excuse me, but that group is TOO easy if you compare it with the S American qualifications

CamiloA380  Smile
Flying4Ever!

Arcano

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 19):
Brazil, Chile, for other extra-football reasons haha.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 33):
who have already qualified and who hate Argentina.

Come on, we don't hate you people, we just don't like you at all hahahaha  Wink

No, seriously, I don't be sure about that, remember after all that Bielsa is Argentino, and you are very popular over here when it comes to soccer, so we just wish you the best. We are in so good mood now that there's just no harsh feeling in our hearts!
With nothing to lose why not be cheering our beloved neighbors?
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

Derico

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:01 pm

Quoting Arcano (Reply 39):
With nothing to lose why not be cheering our beloved neighbors?

I think on the whole, most people in Chile or Brazil or Mexico and other countries are not openly obsessing over if Argentina goes or not, if she does hey what else is new and obviously is what is expected, I think is the general attitude. And once the World Cup starts, everyone wants to see Argentina play.

If Argentina is eliminated, then most people will have friendly fun at our expense and some sectors will trully be elated and make that very clear. But that's a minority.

However, taking into account how this individual team has absolutely no idea how to place itself in a field, and how the best strategy our coach can give out is ''come on, vamo, vamo, let's go'', I'll be relieved if we are eliminated because they are an atrocious football team that has no business in a world cup.

GrinddalCPH

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting Camiloa380 (Reply 38):

I dont think so, no, you guys are to full of your selves,

and if memory serves me correct we have always beaten Uruguay, I even seem to remember a staggering 6-1 defeat.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway!

JFKMan

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:38 am

Very proud of Ireland to draw Italy twice...although they could of beat em twice.
NYC

EZEIZA

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 am

Quoting Arcano (Reply 39):
No, seriously, I don't be sure about that, remember after all that Bielsa is Argentino, and you are very popular over here when it comes to soccer, so we just wish you the best

In football context, I think the only thing that would make the Chilenos even happier than how they are now is to see Argentina eliminated. And yes, Bielsa is Argentinian and even if he wasn't I don't doubt his hinesty for a minute, but three things: 1) the players are not Argentinian, 2) the fans would LOVE to see their neighbour out and 3) Chile is a great team and has played very well for most of the qualis, but they did have a 2-2 at home against Venezuela, and Ecuador is not a bad team at all, meaning that even if no one played to lose on purpose, it's not impossible for Ecuador winning, especially because they really need the points whereas for Chile it's kind of a celebration game.

Arcano

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:06 am

OK Derico and Ezeiza, though I'm not proud of it, I see the point and you are probably right... specially those three excelent resumed bullets of yours, Ezeiza.
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

lxa333
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 am

Quoting GrinddalCPH (Reply 41):
and if memory serves me correct we have always beaten Uruguay, I even seem to remember a staggering 6-1 defeat.

haha, very true- uruguays has been absolutely abused in the past by denmark.

Easy group? Denmark, Portugal and Sweden are all better than south american teams excluding argentina and Brazil. Thats why europe has 13 spots to world cup and 14 when they host, they have the best teams. Just think about it... Croatia isnt qualifying 99% unless andorra tie or beat ukraine which is highly unlikely. Croatia is ranked 10 and could practically beat Argentina on a good day.

Uefa qualifying is much more difficult than south american qualifying.

aviationmaster

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:19 am

Quoting Camiloa380 (Reply 38):
Lol, excuse me, but that group is TOO easy if you compare it with the S American qualifications

I beg to differ. The UEFA Qualification features the hardest qualifying of all confederations. By this I'm by no means saying that CONMEBOL Teams are weaker. In the past couple of years, the gap between the big teams (e.g. France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, England, Germany, etc.) and the weaker ones has become smaller and smaller. Strong teams such as Turkey and Croatia didn't even make the play-offs, with Portugal on the verge of joining them too.

Teams such as the Faroe Islands, Iceland and even Luxembourg have reached a certain level of quality, where they aren't losing their matches 12-0 like they used to 10-15 years ago. On a good day, even these "small" nations are good for a surprise. Heck, Luxembourg beat Switzerland 2-1 last year's qualifier IN Zurich.

EZEIZA

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Quoting Lxa333 (Reply 45):
Easy group? Denmark, Portugal and Sweden are all better than south american teams excluding argentina and Brazil

yes, that group was not easy, but the rest? European qualis have the advantage that most of the teams are terrible, but they have the disadvantage that you are not allowed to make a mistake. In South America you have the advantage that you can lose 5 or 6 games and still make it, but it has the disadvantage that some venues are very complicated to play in for the visiting team. La Paz or Quito have the altitude problem, Santiago, Montevideo or Lima (among others) have incredible crowd pressure, but most of all, apart from Brazil and usually Argentina (not this time), all the other teams have a similar level so no game is guaranteed.

Derico

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Croatia is ranked 10 and could practically beat Argentina on a good day.

And what's your basis for this prediction? If Argentina gets back to just a descent level it would beat Croatia 2 of 3 or even 3 of 4.

European and South American qualifyers are both difficult. Europeans consistently exaggerate the strength of 2nd tier teams from UEFA, under the big 5 plus Netherlands.

I remember in 2006 how all the talk by Europe was how Serbia was this great football squad and how Argentina got the group of Death, and how the Czech Republic was a contender, and how Poland and Germany would breeze by group A.

Well, Czech Republic and Poland both were dispatched with ease (Ecuador and Ghana qualified with Italy and Germany), Serbia finished dead last and was massacred 6-0 by Argentina, and Croatia also didn't make it out of round one of it's group, Brazil and Australia did (edit)>

[Edited 2009-10-13 07:48:12]

CamiloA380

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Denmark, Portugal and Sweden are all better than south american teams

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That was the best joke i've heard this year!! Only Portugal makes sense, cause those are good! Do you remember when Sweden did a "South America-trip"? They played against Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador. All 3 matches went lost!

@ GrinddalCPH:

Yeah, Uruguay lost against Denmark many times, and that because soccer is ridiculous sometimes! i mean, a team can play really really well in a match but the rival which doesn't deserve it at all wins.
And please, are you comparing Uruguay with Denmark? Do you compare 4 won World Cups against 0!? Do you know Uruguay's soccer history? i know that Denmark have had a couple of good players, but absolutely nothing to compare with Uruguay.

You guys dont imagine how much i wish Denmark or Sweden or Switzerland or Poland would try to play the South American qualifies! My school mates here in Sweden even say themselves that Sweden isnt even good!!

just an opinion from me: If South America, Africa and some countryies here in Europe like Spain, France, Portugal etc...wouldnt exist today..soccer for me would be SOOOO boring

And im going to stop to posting in this topic, cause its just incredible that some guys here dont know such things.  Wink

CamiloA380  Smile
Flying4Ever!