GrahamHill

RE: World Cup 2010 Qualifications

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 am

Well, what can I say? Is Henry's handball a shame? Yes. Does Ireland deserve to qualify overall? Not sure. I'm sorry for the Irish, but a football match is 90 minutes, and twice you did not keep the fighting spirit until the very end. You played very well during the first half, and Keane's goal was totally logical. The French were totally paralyzed, not even able to play football!! But Ireland did not kill the match. And unfortunately for them, paid the price.

The Irish can complain about the ref, but so do we as two penalties (one on Evra in Croker, the second on Anelka tonight) were not whistled.

[Edited 2009-11-18 16:24:00]
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

dc9northwest

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 am

The Chinese commentators brought up the name of Maradona after the French goal as well.

That's not the way to go.

But Platini would have not accepted any excuse if the ref would've not validated the goal. He ordered the seeded playoff for France.

Ireland may not have deserved to go to the World Cup, but they deserved it more than the French did looking at the results for the whole campaign.

EZEIZA

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:18 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 150):
The Irish can complain about the ref, but so do we as two penalties (one on Evra in Croker, the second on Anelka tonight) were not whistled.

But you have to admit that winning like this is not the best of victories. A penalty not called or an 4 cm offside can be interpretation from the ref, but such an obvious hand ball ....
It would have been better for them to go to pk's and win it there.
In any case, it's OVER! All 32 are qualified, since Uruguay just finished 1-1 against the "ticos". I'm happy Uruguay is in, but I didn't want Costa Rica to be out .. the ideal thig would have been for Uruguay to beat Argentina and then Argentina losing the play off but oh well .. (yes, I hate Maradona and I want him to lose always).

And from now on, I'll let the Italian come out from me .. FORZA AZZURRI!! (btw, we beat Sweden today 1.0)
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

EIJFK

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 am

Ireland should have sealed it off, I agree. However...

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0002c3fb-674.jpg

Insofar as penalties that weren't given, there were definitely a few dives tonight!

LTU932

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:16 am

That's it for Costa Rica. Despite the equaliser, they couldn't make the best of their chances and will now have to watch the World Cup on television.

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)
Switzerland (SUI)
Slovakia (SVK, first time in a World Cup as an independent state)
Greece (GRE)
Slovenia (SVN)
Portugal (POR)
France (FRA)

CONMEBOL (South America):

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)
Chile (CHI)
Argentina (ARG)
Uruguay (URU)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)
Cameroon (CMR)
Nigeria (NGA)
Algeria (ALG)

CONCAFAF (North, Central America and Caribbean):

Mexico (MEX)
United States (USA)
Honduras (HON)

OFC (Oceania):

New Zealand (NZL)

Playoff matches:

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

First leg:

Costa Rica (CRC) vs Uruguay (URU): 0:1

Return leg (18th of November):

Uruguay (URU) vs Costa Rica (CRC) 1:1 (Uruguay advances with a 2:1 on aggregate)

For more qualifiers, see you in about 9 months, when the Euro qualifiers start. As for the upcoming World Cup, bring on the draw in Cape Town!
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Alias1024

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:53 am

I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed that France made it into the World Cup. Not because of the way they made it through, but because it means Raymond Domenech will likely keep his job. How does any national federation justify having a head coach that would exclude a great player based on his zodiac sign? The guy is easily a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

I'm going to raise a pint of Guinness tonight to show my solidarity with the Irish, who were cheated tonight. Just unbelievable that both the offside and handball were missed. Was that linesman even watching the match? He had a great view of both.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

CPH-R

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:05 am

LTU932

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 156):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElObQcnl0dw

Disgusting.

Indeed, and the way he celebrates it is just even more disgusting.

I just lost my respect for Thierry Henry I'm not wishing him ill, but I do hope that he will fail with France in the World Cup, so Justice can be served on the world of Football.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

CPH-R

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:38 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 157):
Indeed, and the way he celebrates it is just even more disgusting.

His comments after the game was even worse. He admitted he had handballed, but said he wasn't the referee, so he shouldn't be the one to take the blame.

gkirk

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am

The fact that the French were offside before Henry's basketball skills, is another reason why the goal shouldn't have stood. Still, UEFA would have been upset if one of their "big" countries didn't make it through...  Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OA260

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 159):
The fact that the French were offside before Henry's basketball skills, is another reason why the goal shouldn't have stood. Still, UEFA would have been upset if one of their "big" countries didn't make it through..

The game should be replayed. The French team going to the World Cup as cheaters is what all the press and media are saying here this morning and on Sky News also. I have to agree.

Alot of the bookies are giving refunds to those that placed bets for Ireland to win.

sebolino

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:31 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 155):
I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed that France made it into the World Cup. Not because of the way they made it through, but because it means Raymond Domenech will likely keep his job

I don't know.

First the victory has been stolen to Ireland, and France has lost the game.
Second, Domenech is the most hated "selectionneur" (eng ?) ever. I don't know how long he will stay, but I hope not more than a few days ...

oly720man

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Henry

I wonder how Gillette are feeling about having one of their "Champions" act in such a way? Or is "it doesn't matter how you win" the message now?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 151):
Ireland may not have deserved to go to the World Cup, but they deserved it more than the French did looking at the results for the whole campaign.

The most experienced team qualified.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 152):
But you have to admit that winning like this is not the best of victories.

No it's not. But we're through, so I don't give a damn.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 155):
Not because of the way they made it through, but because it means Raymond Domenech will likely keep his job

That would have the only positive aspect of being kicked out: Domenech would not be the French coach anymore.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 157):
I just lost my respect for Thierry Henry I'm not wishing him ill, but I do hope that he will fail with France in the World Cup, so Justice can be served on the world of Football.

You'll explain that to the FIFA.

Has justice been made when Schumacher destroyed the jaw of Battiston in the semi-final of the World Cup 1982? There should have been red card for him and penalty for France. You qualified by playing martial arts, not football.

So you're not in the best position to come and lecture us.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 160):
The game should be replayed.

Yeah right   . Like it ever happened in the past at this level.

[Edited 2009-11-19 02:18:56]

[Edited 2009-11-19 02:20:48]

davehammer

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 am

I thought Henry was above that sort of thing but I guess not. Not good and I think it'll remain as a negative mark on his career when all is said and done. Play the game how it's supposed to be played or don't bother.

To be honest credit to Richard Dunne for not landing one on him when Henry came over to 'commiserate' with him at the end of the game. What front..

The way in which the seeding system worked was ppor as well. You can't just change the goalposts half way through, but then again when FIFA and UEFA are involved anything stupid is possible.

EIJFK

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 164):
To be honest credit to Richard Dunne for not landing one on him when Henry came over to 'commiserate' with him at the end of the game. What front..

I was thinking he would, to be honest! Admittedly, I thought many members of our team would at least snub him. Fair play to all for being gentleman après match...

I know a few people mentioned it above, but the goal is perhaps most upsetting because of the offside, and two handballs. When I've watched the replay, I almost feel like the Irish defense expects the whistle to be blown and eases up.

Whatever about France being the stronger team, we know that. We don't have the same level of players France do. What we do have is a hard working, honest team. I haven't enjoyed watching the Irish team as much in years. They were absolutely magnificent last night. Keane and Doyle were everywhere. Andrews fought for every ball. Damien Duff, who I have great respect for as a positive role model and all around good guy, showed us exactly what made him famous in the first place. Kevin Kilbane is over 100 caps now, and still creates world class chances. Shay Given is solid as ever. I feel for the team, and the fans. I feel like there's spirit in the squad now that has lacked under Kerr, McCarthy, Staunton etc. Perhaps the team decided the tactics last night, not the manager. At any rate, you know injustice has been done when the likes of Johnny Giles and Eamon Dunphy stop criticizing and start commiserating. I believe Dunphy called their performance "heartwarming".

EIJFK

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:41 pm

This is an interview with Damien Duff from last night. He's an honest man, a footballer to be admired in these flashy footballer times!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367895.stm

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Quoting EIJFK (Reply 165):
Whatever about France being the stronger team, we know that. We don't have the same level of players France do. What we do have is a hard working, honest team. I haven't enjoyed watching the Irish team as much in years. They were absolutely magnificent last night. Keane and Doyle were everywhere. Andrews fought for every ball. Damien Duff, who I have great respect for as a positive role model and all around good guy, showed us exactly what made him famous in the first place. Kevin Kilbane is over 100 caps now, and still creates world class chances. Shay Given is solid as ever. I feel for the team, and the fans. I feel like there's spirit in the squad now that has lacked under Kerr, McCarthy, Staunton etc. Perhaps the team decided the tactics last night, not the manager.

I can't agree more. The Irish showed plenty of spirit.

France was paralyzed and this away goal scored in Croke Park was more a poisoned chalice than anything else.

But over the two matches, I don't think France deserves less to be qualified.

EIJFK

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 167):
But over the two matches, I don't think France deserves less to be qualified.

I understand what you mean. At the end of the day, my major criticism is that France were in the last final. They obviously have world class talent, yet at the end of the day, they didn't prove highly effective against an Irish side where only one player is involved in regular Champions League football. I think France has a lot to worry about on their way to the finals.

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Quoting EIJFK (Reply 168):
I think France has a lot to worry about on their way to the finals.

We did not play well, that's for sure. But the World Cup might be different. Yesterday, we were scared to concede a goal (which we eventually did) and it prevented us from playing. Let's say that the conditions were that we could not focus on our football because we had to keep the result. And you know that when you start doing some maths in your head, you're not going anywhere.

World Cup will be different, with different things at stake, different mood, different atmosphere. You cannot compare the match of yesterday with what is going to happen in the World Cup. If the French team play like yesterday, then they'll never be able to reach the knock-out stage. But World Cup is in 8 months. They will (hopefully) play with a different mind.

shamrock604

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 163):
Yeah right . Like it ever happened in the past at this level.

Yes it should be replayed. The whole world has seen this and thinks the same.

If FIFA (Fixing International Football Again) and UEFA (Unjustly Ensuring France Advance) have any decency, integrity, and any desire to play more than lip service to fair play, they will order a re-match, especially considering they rigged the contest in the first place by having France's man in UEFA change the rules midway.

I am very heartened to see so many messages of support on Irish News websites from french people, who are horrified that qualification has come under these circumstances. It does nothing but cheapen France's excellent team and sours its world cup experience.

For French football's own good, for Fairness and for the reputation of Football, a re-match must happen.

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Like it ever happened in the past at this level.

Actually it did Big grin. Between Uzbekistan and Bahrain for the World Cup 2006 qualifiers.

Ah well, we'll see what happens  Wink

dc9northwest

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:58 pm

It's kinda hard to like the French team, with all the characters and with the fact Platini basically qualified them. If Platini wasn't in charge, I doubt they'd've gone through.

Thanks, Zidane and Henry, for proving even the best players are not fair play.

And yeah, you know, not seeing an offside is sometimes excusable and had that been all, it'd've been ok, but this is a glaring omission from the refs; FIFA or UEFA will never order a rematch, but video replays are necessary for every important action at this level.

Seriously, I'd understand Slovenians or Slovakians, who haven't had much World Cup experience to rejoice if they qualified like this, but the fact that Henry, Anelka, Gallas, Gourcuff et al did their victory lap thing is disgusting. Christ, they're world class players. But I guess if Maradona did it, it's now alright, eh?

I hope France experiences another failure like in 02. May an offside, handball, goal stop them from reaching the 2nd round, to see what it's like. Oh well.

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 172):
It's kinda hard to like the French team, with all the characters and with the fact Platini basically qualified them. If Platini wasn't in charge, I doubt they'd've gone through.

Thanks, Zidane and Henry, for proving even the best players are not fair play.

And yeah, you know, not seeing an offside is sometimes excusable and had that been all, it'd've been ok, but this is a glaring omission from the refs; FIFA or UEFA will never order a rematch, but video replays are necessary for every important action at this level.

Seriously, I'd understand Slovenians or Slovakians, who haven't had much World Cup experience to rejoice if they qualified like this, but the fact that Henry, Anelka, Gallas, Gourcuff et al did their victory lap thing is disgusting. Christ, they're world class players. But I guess if Maradona did it, it's now alright, eh?

I hope France experiences another failure like in 02. May an offside, handball, goal stop them from reaching the 2nd round, to see what it's like. Oh well.

Is that all?  Yeah sure Do you want all the French to die in an Earthquake or a plane crash as well?

shamrock604

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 173):
Is that all? Do you want all the French to die in an Earthquake or a plane crash as well?

Did he say that? Of course he didnt. He just said he didnt want them to progress because quite frankly they dont deserve to.

Im sure you can understand that without accusing anyone of xenophobia  Wink

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 174):
Im sure you can understand that without accusing anyone of xenophobia

I understand your frustration, and I'm honestly sorry for the Irish and the way we qualified. We all are.

But his message was a bit too aggressive.

[Edited 2009-11-19 08:38:51]

shamrock604

Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 175):
But his message was a bit too aggressive.

I dont think it was agressive, but I can very much understand that we are all emotional and people can react in certain ways to certain comments.

I think we can all agree this is a sad day for Ireland and for France. I just hope FFF will do the decent thing and we can have a fair winner.

I have lost all respect for FIFA and UEFA. My days of even watching international football are over.

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 176):
I just hope FFF will do the decent thing and we can have a fair winner.

What do you expect from a Federation that kept Domenech on the job for more than 5 years? FFF is ruled by incompetent people. All French football fans are suffering from this.

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 176):
My days of even watching international football are over.

You speak with your heart broken. But I know that after a couple of weeks or months, you will watch international football again  Wink. I'm sure your love for the Irish team will go beyond your hate for the FIFA  Smile

MD11junkie

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:21 pm

FAI to lodge official complaint (if it hasn't already, Independent has a bit out-dated website)
http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...ge-official-complaint-1948598.html

Saludos,
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

shamrock604

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:45 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 177):
You speak with your heart broken. But I know that after a couple of weeks or months, you will watch international football again . I'm sure your love for the Irish team will go beyond your hate for the FIFA

My love for the Irish team is all emcompassing after last night. They showed true Irish spirit, never say never, fight to the death. We will be forever proud of what they did last night.

But for me, it is painfully obvious that if you are not in the football "old gaurd" of France, Germany etc etc, it will be skewed against you.

To me, this world cup has now taken on all the significance, integrity, and fairness of the bloody Eurovision song contest. (But even in that, we actually won plenty....  Wink

I hope we take this all the way and never let it be forgotten. I hope Ireland become the biggest Thorn in FIFA / UEFA's side.

FIFA fairplay my arse.

jcs17

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Ireland was fucking jobbed last night. I'm not a huge fan of either side, but I was definitely rooting for the Republic of Ireland last night. Robby Keane was probably right in guessing that Blatter and Platini couldn't stop texting each other in excitement that France, despite a horrible qualification, was in the World Cup.

That all said, it's silly to demand a rematch because these things unfortunately do happen in the course of games... even World Cup matches. It would set a very dangerous precedent for the rest of world football.

I think the best option that would never be adopted by Blatter, is to make every goal in World Cup Qualification and the World Cup itself, scored after 90 minutes to be reviewable in the case of a suspected offsides or hand ball.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

eicvd

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:24 pm

I think the talk of a replay should be forgotten, never going to happen!
COYBIB

OA260

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 167):
I don't think France deserves less to be qualified.

Well no harm to ya but that would be your opinion.

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 170):
Yes it should be replayed. The whole world has seen this and thinks the same.

+1 and thats what everyone has been saying all day. I have to agree with the Irish and say that they were robbed. Its a disgrace. I spoke to alot of people today from Cork to Kerry to Donegal and there is a real sense of disgust. It was the topic of conversation at all levels everywhere.

quote of the day '' The French Team are the new Argentinians'' a new Diego Maradona is born.

Quoting EICVD (Reply 181):

Sadly I have to agree .

LTU932

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Quoting EICVD (Reply 181):

As much as I agree that there has to be a replay (preferably with a non-UEFA referee and on neutral soil to avoid any bias), neither Blatter nor Platini will allow that. There's just too much money at stake, and having the FFF along for the ride helps the bottom line of FIFA and UEFA.

This also shows in general the issue of double standards within FIFA. In Mexico for example, people complain about people/organisations owning multiple clubs (e.g. Televisa, which owns CF America, Club San Luis and CF Necaxa, and holds a partial stake in the football club from Veracruz; Jorge Vergara who owns CD Guadalajara, CD Chivas USA and Deportivo Saprissa; and a non-Mexican example is Roman Abramovich, who owns CSKA Moscow and Chelsea FC). Apparently, FIFA regulations don't allow multiple ownerships, and yet Blatter said on a recent visit to Mexico, that they can't do anything if nobody complains, and they can't police the federations all the time. FIFA is quick to police if politicians start to get involved (the affected clubs may get banned for it), but in other thing, they don't feel like policing. If that isn't another proof of double standards within FIFA, then what is?

Let's also not forget 2006, when Torsten Frings was suspended for the semifinal against Italy, despite the fact that the alledged victim, Julio Cruz, said that absolutely nothing happened between him and Frings. All the evidence used came from some footage from Sky Italia, but then again, FIFA hardly listens to the players unless they start e.g. insulting the referee or bitch about Blatter (then they get suspended), or accept some stupid footballer of the year award at this overblown "gala" they organise each December. The point is that even within the big football nations, FIFA applies double standards with them as well, all thanks to Blatter's (and now also Platini's) personal interests.

shamrock604

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 182):
Sadly I have to agree .

So do I. I know in my heart it wont happen. But it needs to, for a number of reasons, not least for France themselves. We are not the only ones hurt by this, and the sense of justice and fair play from french people I have witnessed today is heartwarming.

Vive La France, Vive L'Irlande - But we need a rematch!!!!!  Wink

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Some poll results in the French newspapers to cheer up our Irish friends:

In Le Monde:

Do you think France deserve to go to South Africa?

Yes: 12.2%
No: 87.8%

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/sondage/...a-coupe-du-monde_1269027_3242.html

------------------------------------------------------

In Le Figaro:

Do you think referees should be assisted by video?

Yes: 82.97%
No: 7.03%

http://www.lefigaro.fr/football/2009...itrage-video-dans-le-football-.php

----------------------------------------------------------------

In France Football (the newpaper that created the Golden Ball):

Does France deserve to qualify?

Yes: 10%
No: 78%
DK: 3%

http://www.francefootball.fr/

------------------------------------------------------------

In Ouest France (biggest selling newspaper in France):

Should the France-Ireland match be played again?

Yes: 73%
No: 27%

http://www.ouest-france.fr/#

Same question in Le Télégramme de Brest:

Yes: 69%
No: 27%
DK: 4%

http://sondages.letelegramme.com/tcom/resultats.php?id=3737

In Le Midi Libre:

Do you think France deserve to go to South Africa?

Yes: 21%
No: 74%
DK: 5%

http://www.midilibre.com

It's not going to withdraw Henry's handball, but at least you know that the vast majority of French people is supporting the Irish.

EZEIZA

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah right . Like it ever happened in the past at this level.

AGREED! Although this is a very, very bad ref call, it's not the first time it's happened, and in even more important games. It's part of football. The game should not be played again, because if that should happen, we would see teams demanding anther game all the time.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 169):
World Cup will be different, with different things at stake, different mood, different atmosphere. You cannot compare the match of yesterday with what is going to happen in the World Cup

True. Many times the least expected does a good WC, even winning it. Look at 2006. No one though Italy could even make it to the semis even!
However, Domenech does suclk. He's terrible and IMHO France should sack him now and get a new coach with enough time ahead to prepare a good squad. And France for sure has the players to be an excellent team.

OA260

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 pm

19 November 2009

Government Call For Rematch After French Handed Victory
Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern has today demanded a rematch after Ireland were put out of the World Cup by a blatant handball.

Mr Ahern slammed governing body Fifa in response to Ireland's defeat at the hands of Thierry Henry in the crucial World Cup playoff last night in Paris.

http://www.4ie.ie/irish_news.asp?id=102956

gkirk

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:18 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 186):
it's not the first time it's happened,

Funnily enough, it only happens against the smaller countries...  scratchchin 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 188):
Funnily enough, it only happens against the smaller countries...

The Italians would not agree with this comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pm4jD5kU4U

dc9northwest

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:07 am

GrahamHill,

I am sorry if my message seemed too aggressive to you. But truly, I have to stand by to what I said, because it's true, as your further posts have shown.

It was not about the French in general here, just about the French team. I think most French people would rather they'd not qualify in this manner, for several reasons... But do you see your federation taking any action?

I must say, I'll support Ireland from now on. They were robbed in the worst possible way.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 188):
Funnily enough, it only happens against the smaller countries...

Hey, you've noticed! Although I'd rephrase it as "only happens in favor of the countries which FIFA/UEFA supports". Meaning, generally, the bigger countries.

evomutant

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:59 am

Those extra officials behind the goal line in Europa league games suddenly don't seem such a stupid idea...

NIKV69

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:03 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 143):
Ireland were robbed.

Wow just saw the play on CNN. France is so good at that stuff. At least he didn't head butt someone.  biggrin 
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

LTU932

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:40 am

I saw an interesting subject in a show named "Juego Cruzado" today, which specifically which former World Champion is in better shape for the world cup. Here's my personal assessment:

1. Agentina: They're pretty bad right now. They don't have a coach, because Maradona is known as an incompetent, foul mouthed little idiot, and the team itself, while having the potential, doesn't even both to show it off.
2. France: They cheatecd themselves to the World Cup thanks to the "Hand of Henry". And even worse, they play a bit of an anti-football thanks to the incompetence of Raymond Domenech. Like with Argentina, they have potential, but in this case, due to Domenech, they can't show this potential to the world (plus the deed from Henry ain't going to make them popular for a while, that's for sure).
3. Germany: I'm confident that they'll do what they always did, play mediocre during the qualifiers and then show good performance during the World Cup. All we need is a more stable defence, which is currenty our weak spot, but otherwise, we're candidates for the title.
4. Italy: They played bad during the qualifiers and barely made it as well as first place in their group. However, chances of them defending their title are very low IMO.
5. England: Sure, they've played very good since Capello arrived, but the loss against the Ukraine does how that they're still humans. I'll give them semifinals at most, because chances are that they still suck in penalties as always.  
6. Brazil. They're always favourites, but despite winning the "Eliminatorias", the Copa América and winning the Confed-Cup (all surprisingly under Dunga), there have been occasions where Brazil has been too inconsistent.
7. Uruguay: Chances of them winning the world cup are basically non-existent.

My favourites to win the World Cup (including teams that were never world champions): Germany (and I hope they win    ), Brazil, England, Netherlands and Spain.

[Edited 2009-11-19 18:48:31]

[Edited 2009-11-19 18:49:59]

Braybuddy

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:47 am

A big Merci to the French team and Thierry Henri for turfing us out of this quadrennial bore-fest. Now maybe we can get some peace . . .

GrahamHill

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:31 am

As expected, the FIFA just confirmed that the match cannot be replayed:

Quote:
In the reply, FIFA states that the result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed. As is clearly mentioned in the Laws of the Game, during matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...89.html#fifa+statement+fai+request

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 190):
It was not about the French in general here, just about the French team. I think most French people would rather they'd not qualify in this manner, for several reasons... But do you see your federation taking any action?

Then I'm sorry for misunderstanding your message.

The French Federation will not do anything because they are ruled by morons.

LTU932

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 am

Well, if the match cannot be replayed, then I hope that this referee gets his licence as FIFA-Referee revoked for a while, at least as long as it takes, so that he doesn't go to the World Cup. The last thing we all need is a referee that makes Graham Poll (the guy who gave Josip Simunic three yellow cards before realising that he had to eject Simunic after the second yellow card) look competent.

Speaking of which, apparently Costa Rica filed a complaint with FIFA about gifts that the Uruguayan Football Asociation AUF gave to one of the referee teams of these playoffs (I believe it involved the team from the return leg, led by Massimo Busacca). I can't find anything official on the matter (so I can't vouch for the veracity of this), plus I'm very surprised to hear this myself but if this is true (and not even I know if it is), then I hope FIFA and the SFV perma-ban Busacca.

GrahamHill

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:45 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 196):
Well, if the match cannot be replayed, then I hope that this referee gets his licence as FIFA-Referee revoked for a while, at least as long as it takes, so that he doesn't go to the World Cup

I think it's the line referee who should be revoked, because he had a panoramic view on Henry's action. The field ref could not see much from where he was (as far as I remember).

shamrock604

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 197):
I think it's the line referee who should be revoked, because he had a panoramic view on Henry's action. The field ref could not see much from where he was (as far as I remember).

I think blaming the refs is a bit unfair, so long as they genuinly did not see anything. If they did, that is of course another matter.

FIFA / UEFA and Thierry and his merry band of Thieves in the FFF need to answer the following questions:

1) Why were the rules changed mid way through the qualifiers when it looked like France, Germany and Portugal were at risk of getting through? They may be big nations, but they DO NOT HAVE AN AUTOMATIC RIGHT to get the world cup

2) Why was Ireland the only one of the 4 "unseeded" nations to have to play its second and last qualifier AWAY from home? Why pick on one country, eh Platini??

3) Why have FIFA now ignored the precedent they set themselves by ordering a rematch between Bahrain and Uzbekistan some years ago?

4) Why has video technology been so strenuosly resisted?

5) Why, in the face of such massive opposition, when FIFA / UEFA and FFF's own integrity has been questioned, can they not accede to the fairest solution? They have been disgraced and i cant actually believe they are not considering a replay!!!

Today, the FFF had the cheek to tell us we need to "Move on". Rubbish. We wont be moving anywhere until some justice is done.

EZEIZA

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 189):
The Italians would not agree with this comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pm4j...5kU4U

and then some still think that Italians always has FIFA helping them! I still remember that WC ... unbelieveable how Korea got assisted to the semis! But besides that, the game vs. Croatia was bad too.

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 190):
Hey, you've noticed! Although I'd rephrase it as "only happens in favor of the countries which FIFA/UEFA supports". Meaning, generally, the bigger countries.

Well, despite all the (justified) anger by the Irish, this has happened throughout football history and it will continue to happen. Just remember Arg vs. Eng. in 1986.

And I disagree that this is always against the smaller teams. The difference is that when it happens in favour of a big team it gets more attention. Going back to the Italy example, look at how much fuss was created because of the pk against Australia (which one can tell that it was not a pk after 3 replays) compared to the attention that Italy got against Korea (and Croatia, and Mexico) in 2002. No one remembers those episodes.