LTU932

RE: World Cup 2010 Qualifications

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't know why this talk about comparing the Eliminatorias with the Euro qualifiers. Fact is that, in terms of tradition, skill and fanbase, South American teams are the only ones who can be equals to, or even beat the European teams, both in national teams and in club play. Why else do you think is there such a great tradition of matches between South American (particularly Brazil and Argentina) and European (most notibablly Italy, Germany, Spain and England) teams?

This is even a reason for me to call for the return of the old Intercontinental Cup (though I know it ain't gonna happen, Blatter made sure of that). We all know that teams from Asia, Oceania, Africa and CONCACAF region don't stand a chance against teams from South America and Europe (and if, then only teams from Japan could come somewhat close to the level of play of CONMEBOL and UEFA teams), so why not just play that old final between the two best teams in the world, the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the winners of the Copa Libertadores?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

CPH-R

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Quoting GrinddalCPH (Reply 37):
And, for us being lucky, im not even going to comment on it, as it is a typical comment, by on who does not have an eye for the defensive aspect of a game, aswell as goalkeeping.

Sweden vs Denmark. Nilsson basically doing an own goal. The rest of the game our team wasn't producing anything substantial and the Swedes couldn't score.

Portugal vs Denmark. The Portugese team taking a giant nap the moment the game hit the extra time.

Both of those wins were down to luck, and without either of those results, we most likely wouldn't be going to South Africa.

EZEIZA

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 50):
We all know that teams from Asia, Oceania, Africa and CONCACAF region don't stand a chance against teams from South America and Europe

With the exception of CONCACAF, you are 100% correct. And I say this because Mexican teams, since playing the South American tournaments, have improved a lot, reached Libertadores finals, and are usually very tough tems to beat for any of the top South Americans.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

LTU932

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 52):
With the exception of CONCACAF, you are 100% correct. And I say this because Mexican teams, since playing the South American tournaments, have improved a lot, reached Libertadores finals, and are usually very tough tems to beat for any of the top South Americans.

Yes, but you have to remember that, at least according to ESPN Deportes (and I'm talking about Carlos Albert, David Faitelson, José Ramón Fernández, and all the others from Fútbol Picante), Mexican football is full of corruption and mediocrity. Yes, maybe the only ones who can stand out are the Mexicans, but that's because club football in Central America is just plain bad, and the only ones in the region that can come close to the Mexicans are the Americans, but the MLS isn't exactly a top notch league either.

And you have to remember that CONCACAF is no longer allowing any of their teams to participate in CONMEBOL tournaments (at most, they could only play in the Copa América, but I'm not sure of that). I guess it's got to do with the fact that they want to force them to focus on the highly mediocre CONCACAF Champions League and probably also to secure as much money as possible from Mexican sponsors as well (because most of those Mexican sponsors preferred to get involved in the much more lucrative Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana).

BTW, you should consider yourself luck you're getting Argentinian ESPN. The Mexican ESPN has become bland, plus I can't stand the SportsCenter anchors they have.

[Edited 2009-10-13 15:30:59]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

TheSonntag

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
And before you ask: Yes, I do hate Cristiano Ronaldo. He, along with David Beckham, is one of the most overrated players in the world. Hell, I prefer the original, Brazilian Ronaldo over the Portuguese one.

I agree, unfortunately, every time I bash C.Ronaldo, he scores one incredible goal... Still, way overrated.

Besides, don't you find it astonishing that in Club football, German players are rarely regarded to be world class? In most commercials, you see people from Spain, UK and so on, but rarely German players. Even players like Lahm and Ballack, who are world class, are rarely mentioned.

But when it comes to team playing and results in the worldcup, German players seem to be much better team players.

Derico

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:53 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 53):
I guess it's got to do with the fact that they want to force them to focus on the highly mediocre CONCACAF Champions League and probably also to secure as much money as possible from Mexican sponsors as well (because most of those Mexican sponsors preferred to get involved in the much more lucrative Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana).

Actually as I understand, Mexico is coming back to the South American club tournaments, Libertadores specially. In fact with more teams I think.

The original reason Mexico withdrew was in direct protest of the Brazilian and Uruguayan teams refusing to travel to Mexico for the best of 16s in the Libertadores, which unfortunately where to be played right in the middle of the original Swine Flu scare. Since then some new agreement was reached. CONMEBOL loves Mexico since it means big bucks for advertisement (as before only Brazil and Argentina were the big cash cows), now they got that whole new 100 million plus market. And Mexico loves CONMEBOL in the end because they want to compete at the best level possible in clubs and national teams, plus the Mexican sponsors obviously much prefer the South American integration.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:13 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 55):
Actually as I understand, Mexico is coming back to the South American club tournaments, Libertadores specially. In fact with more teams I think.

I knew that as well, however it appears as if CONCACAF has decided not to renew the treaty that allowed CONCACAF teams to play in the Copa Sudamericana. You can even see how this has negatively impacted the finances of the tournament because with this move, Monterrey and Puebla could no longer play and thus two of the most important sponsors of the tournament, Corona and Telmex IIRC, decided to withdraw from being sponsors.

It does seem that Mexican teams can play in the Copa Libertadores 2010, however a review on Mexico's continuity in that tournament will be made by CONCACAF Secretary General Chuck Blazer and his cronies in November. I guess they can't play in the Copa Libertadores if CONCACAF doesn't give its blessing for it.

http://www.soccernews.com/concacaf-s...-adios-to-copa-sudamericana/20741/

I remember that the manager of CF Puebla basically felt screwed because of this decision, and he was so upset about it, he got a heavy fine for bitching about it. It is clear that this is just to get more teams into the much less lucrative and footbalistically inferior CONCACAF Champions League because the Sudamericana starts at the same time as the "Concachampions" as they call the CCL.

Bottom line, if Mexico wants to play the Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana, why don't they move permanently to CONMEBOL? It worked for Australia when they moved from the OFC to AFC (though that was because they wanted a better chance at winning a spot for the World Cup), though I guess Jack Warner, head of CONCACAF and FIFA Vice-President, will do anything to stop that.

[Edited 2009-10-13 19:19:02]

EZEIZA

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:51 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 56):
It does seem that Mexican teams can play in the Copa Libertadores 2010, however a review on Mexico's continuity in that tournament will be made by CONCACAF Secretary General Chuck Blazer and his cronies in November. I guess they can't play in the Copa Libertadores if CONCACAF doesn't give its blessing for it

All I know is that in general, Mexican clubs (and the national team) have had a tremendous growth in the past few years since playing with South American teams. It has brought better players from abroad and the local players have also become more popular outside Mexico. In all honesty on a club general context, Mexico is only behind Brazil and Argentina

Bottom line, if Mexico wants to play the Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana, why don't they move permanently to CONMEBOL?

I honestly don't know how it works, but I know that they do get screwed because even if a Mexican team wins the Libertadores, they are still not allowed to participate in the Club World cup (or at least it was the case when it was the Intercontinental).

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:01 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 57):
I honestly don't know how it works, but I know that they do get screwed because even if a Mexican team wins the Libertadores, they are still not allowed to participate in the Club World Cup (or at least it was the case when it was the Intercontinental).

Australia did play in the Club World Cup some time ago, so even if Mexico moves to CONMEBOL, it shouldn't be a problem.

As for participating in the Intercontinental Cup, AFAIK all that was required is that one team has won the European Champion Clubs' Cup, which is today the UEFA Champions League, and the other team needs to have won the Copa Libertadores. No idea what would have happened if a Mexican team won the Copa Libertadores until 2004.

ALexeu

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 am

Do you think that New Zealand will beat Bahrain?

edit: Looks like the Bahrain qualified because they drew 2-2 and the away-gole counts.

[Edited 2009-10-14 01:35:24 by alexEU]

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 59):
Do you think that New Zealand will beat Bahrain?

The return match is still a month away, but I believe the All Whites will win against Bahrain.

GrinddalCPH

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 am

Quoting Lxa333 (Reply 45):

Thank you  

BTW, We are playing USA in a Friendly match on november 18th

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 46):
I beg to differ. The UEFA Qualification features the hardest qualifying of all confederations. By this I'm by no means saying that CONMEBOL Teams are weaker. In the past couple of years, the gap between the big teams (e.g. France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, England, Germany, etc.) and the weaker ones has become smaller and smaller. Strong teams such as Turkey and Croatia didn't even make the play-offs, with Portugal on the verge of joining them too.

Teams such as the Faroe Islands, Iceland and even Luxembourg have reached a certain level of quality, where they aren't losing their matches 12-0 like they used to 10-15 years ago. On a good day, even these "small" nations are good for a surprise. Heck, Luxembourg beat Switzerland 2-1 last year's qualifier AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN Zurich.

Good point

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 47):

yes, that group was not easy, but the rest? European qualis have the advantage that most of the teams are terrible, but they have the disadvantage that you are not allowed to make a mistake. In South America you have the advantage that you can lose 5 or 6 games and still make it, but it has the disadvantage that some venues are very complicated to play in for the visiting team. La Paz or Quito have the altitude problem, Santiago, Montevideo or Lima (among others) have incredible crowd pressure, but most of all, apart from Brazil and usually Argentina (not this time), all the other teams have a similar level so no game is guaranteed.

Uhm, and your point being ?

Some venues here are terrible, e.g. Tirana, Niccosia, Montenegro, Belfast,
Teams which on paper should be beaten play here, but they often suprise.

As you said, you are allowed to loose, there is more room to breathe.

@Camiloa

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That was the best joke i've heard this year!! Only Portugal makes sense, cause those are good! Do you remember when Sweden did a "South America-trip"? They played against Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador. All 3 matches went lost!

ANSWER
Seriously, you have got to be one of the most, ignorant, arrogant, childish, impudent idiots I have ever encountered on these boards

CAMILOA
Yeah, Uruguay lost against Denmark many times, and that because soccer is ridiculous sometimes! i mean, a team can play really really well in a match but the rival which doesn't deserve it at all wins.

ANSWER
So you say, that all our victories are luck, even the 6-1 in 86, WOW what a duche.

CAMILOA
And please, are you comparing Uruguay with Denmark? Do you compare 4 won World Cups against 0!? Do you know Uruguay's soccer history? i know that Denmark have had a couple of good players, but absolutely nothing to compare with Uruguay.

ANSWER
I am saying that, yes. 4 won? you have won 2, in 1930 and 50 as far as I know.
So yes, apparently I know the Uruguyan Football history better than you.
A couple ? We were 4th in the world ranks once, we have produced a couple of Pele's FIFA 100 players, we have produced MORE that a COUPLE of good players.
Do you know the Danish History?
Apparently NOT.

You won the last WC back in 1950. man, that is HISTORY, yes I am talking about us winning 6-1 in 1986, but that is more recent, and more comparable.

Before 1971, Denmark was not allowed to use proffessional footballers on the national team, so maybe THATS why our history is not as BIG.

IF you want to really go so far back in time, we managed to WIN silver at the olympics with an Amateur team in 1908, 1912 and 1960 as well as bronze in 1948. Because that was the focus, and NOT the WC
In 1908 we even beat france 17-1 in the semifinal.

CAMILOA
You guys dont imagine how much i wish Denmark or Sweden or Switzerland or Poland would try to play the South American qualifies! My school mates here in Sweden even say themselves that Sweden isnt even good!!

just an opinion from me: If South America, Africa and some countryies here in Europe like Spain, France, Portugal etc...wouldnt exist today..soccer for me would be SOOOO boring

And im going to stop to posting in this topic, cause its just incredible that some guys here dont know such things.

ANSWER
WHY, because you know you do not have your facts in place.

Serously, I NEVER said that Denmark was better than anyone, or that the UEFA Qual is better than CONMEBOL.

Im just saying, that CONMEBOL is NOT better than UEFA, NOT AT ALL.

And that our group, ( the one with Portugal ) was NOT easy.

Seriously, other than Brasil, Chile and Argentina teams in Conmebol are not all that.

Denmark played a friendly against Chile about two months ago, Chile played with the full A team, whilst we played some subs and had a couple of injuries. We barely lost the game 2-1.

Thats all from me/

@ CPH-R

CPH-R
Sweden vs Denmark. Nilsson basically doing an own goal. The rest of the game our team wasn't producing anything substantial and the Swedes couldn't score.

ANSWER
What, an own goal? NO, it was a goal, and a goal is a goal.
We played a defensive aware game? Why is that lucky, just because we are not producing?

CPH-R
Portugal vs Denmark. The Portugese team taking a giant nap the moment the game hit the extra time.

ANSWER
Why is that lucky, they did not NAP, they were shcoked, because Denmark scored, and they did not see it coming. Denmark played a good game, and never gave up.
They scored 3 goals, which is barely luck.

Any ways, we deserve this, and really you should support your nation!

CPH-R
Both of those wins were down to luck, and without either of those results, we most likely wouldn't be going to South Africa

ANSWER
Luck is part of the game, we have been unlucky so many times,
Yes we have had some luck, but I beg to differ, when you say luck dicided for us.

You are a JUDAS!

[Edited 2009-10-14 02:20:49]
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway!

CamiloA380

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting GrinddalCPH (Reply 61):
idiot

Whoops Whoops Whoops, Is it aloud to insult in this forum?
Seems like you need to read the forum rules too.

CamiloA380  Smile
Flying4Ever!

GrinddalCPH

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Quoting CamiloA380 (Reply 62):

Man, really, why do I bother,

What are you like, 3 years old or something ?

Anyways, I done..
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway!

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Germany is currently playing like shit right now. Why the hell does Mario Gómez keep getting chances? He's currently the worst striker in our squad (or as we call such people, a Chancentod), and I believe he does not deserve to be on the team anymore. I'd rather see that new guy, Thomas Müller in the squad than Gómez.  

EDIT: Danke, Poldi! At least we ended these qualifiers unbeaten.  relieved 

[Edited 2009-10-14 10:54:12]

AM744

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 pm

and I'm talking about Carlos Albert, David Faitelson, José Ramón Fernández, and all the others from Fútbol Picante

Don't pay much attention to them. They were credible back when they were in public TV, circa 1986-1993. When the company turned private (and a rival of Televisa) they just got bitter by mandate and they have kept this position they think is popular among fans, even when they don't work anymore for TV Azteca. It's got tiring, even excruciating.

which unfortunately where to be played right in the middle of the original Swine Flu scare

That hurted. Brazilian teams had no problem traveling to Argentina. Double standards on their part. Swine flu back then turned out to be a scare rather than an epidemic (not to deny the potential it has to cause a real one).

because most of those Mexican sponsors preferred to get involved in the much more lucrative Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana

And Mexico loves CONMEBOL in the end because they want to compete at the best level possible in clubs and national teams, plus the Mexican sponsors obviously much prefer the South American integration.

Correct. For starters, a Copa America here would yield millions to sponsors.

Bottom line, if Mexico wants to play the Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana, why don't they move permanently to CONMEBOL?

Ah, the million dollar question.

It worked for Australia when they moved from the OFC to AFC (though that was because they wanted a better chance at winning a spot for the World Cup), though I guess Jack Warner, head of CONCACAF and FIFA Vice-President, will do anything to stop that.

1.- It has been mulled in the past, but CONCACAF wouldn't allow.
2.- Mexico is not that close to South America, we are looking at 4 to 8hrs flights. South American teams have complained about this, at least in the past.

At the end of the day playing Libertadores, Sudamericana and Copa America in equal footing would be in the best interest of both CONMEBOL and Mexico. Sc**w CONCACAF. They are a hurdle more than anything. (And I'm talking about the Confederation per se. I have great respect for the likes of USA, Honduras and CR.)

Back to topic. Beware of Honduras of Costa Rica in the playoff. South American teams are up for a big surprise if they treat them lightly.

Sabena332

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 64):
Germany is currently playing like shit right now.

The game was a joke but I don't really care because we are qualified anyway since Saturday. I can imagine that the players passed on a real power-play today because all of them have to be fit for the upcoming Bundesliga weekend.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 64):
EDIT: Danke, Poldi! At least we ended these qualifiers unbeaten.

Yeah, at least he scored the 1:1.

Now we can look forward to four Bundesliga matchdays in a row until another useless "Länderspiel" weekend with test-games bores us again in November. I am sick and tired if the "Länderspielpausen", it's time for the FIFA and UEFA to work out another schedule for next season, these constant Bundesliga breaks are annoying (as Uli Hoeness already said in an interview last month).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 66):
Now we can look forward to four Bundesliga matchdays in a row until another useless "Länderspiel" weekend with test-games bores us again in November.

I do look forward for the match against Chile. Knowing how they evolved over the last 2 years under Marcelo Bielsa, they will be a very difficult opponent.  yes  The match against Egypt, that is something useless because Egypt isn't exactly the strong African team we need to prepare for. If it was Ghana, Ivory Coast or Nigeria, then I would have understood, but Egypt is not really a strong team.  no 

But you know what really made my day? It's the fact that at this time, Italy is losing 2:0 against Cyprus!  rotfl 

Sabena332

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 67):
I do look forward for the match against Chile.

I think I'll be in the stadium to watch it live. My Spanish teacher is from Chile and he talked about going there two weeks ago, I am sure that he already bought tickets.

It's the fact that at this time, Italy is losing 2:0 against Cyprus!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Can I watch Chile-Ecuador live on the internet?

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Sabena332

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 69):
Can I watch Chile-Ecuador live on the internet?

Here.  Wink (scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Patrick

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 pm

at this time, Italy is losing 2:0 against Cyprus!

Speaking of which: I HATE ALBERTO GILARDINO! He turned the match around in less than 5 minutes to tie the match. And to add insult to injury, he made a hattrick and won the match for Italy.  Angry

Anyway, here's the updated list (all subject to change, as some matches are ongoing):

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)
Switzerland (SUI)
Slovakia (SVK, first time in a World Cup as an independent state)

CONMEBOL (South America):

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)
Chile (CHI)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

CONCAFAF (North, Central America and Caribbean):

Mexico (MEX)
United States (USA)

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches:

OFC vs AFC:

Bahrain (BAH) vs New Zealand (NZL): 0:0 (Return leg to be played in NZL on the 14th of November)

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

Match is TBD. Possible teams to go to the playoff round at this stage:

Ecuador (ECU): If they win their match and Argentina loses.
Argentina (ARG): If they lose their match and Ecuador loses.
Uruguay (URU): If they tie or lose their match and Ecuador loses.
Costa Rica (CRC): If they lose their match and Honduras wins.
Honduras (HON): If they lose or tie their match and Costa Rica ties or wins.

UEFA vs UEFA:

Matches are TBD. Teams to go to the playoff round are likely:

Greece (GRE)
Ukraine (UKR)
France (FRA)
Republic of Ireland (IRL)
Portugal (POR)
Slovenia (SLO, has the possibility of going to the World Cup for the first time)
Bosnia-Herzegovina (BIH)
Russia (RUS)

And congrats to the "General" Ottmar Hitzfeld for leading Switzerland to the World Cup!

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 70):
Here

Thanks man! I have a huge paper to work on for university, it's going to be a long night anyway, so this match is perfectly timed to play in the background on my secondary screen.

VAMOS ECUADOR!!!! My home for 7 years.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

EZEIZA

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:10 pm

But you know what really made my day? It's the fact that at this time, Italy is losing 2:0 against Cyprus!

At one point I honestly thought something fishy was going on ... it would have been a lot of money for whoever bet money on Cyprus ... but Gila made sure to keep things normal.  Smileç

In 50 minutes it's Uruguay-Argentina! can't wait (to see Maradona cry .. but for some reaosn i think Argentina will win)

Sabena332

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 71):
He turned the match around in less than 5 minutes to tie the match. And to add insult to injury, he made a hattrick and won the match for Italy.

Very impressive!

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 72):
Thanks man!

No problem, you're welcome!

I have a huge paper to work on for university, it's going to be a long night anyway, so this match is perfectly timed to play in the background on my secondary screen.

My girlfriend just returned from an IHK course and went to bed. I guess I will watch the game as well (ot the first half) after "Waldis WM Club" on ARD.

VAMOS ECUADOR!!!! My home for 7 years.

Wow, interesting. I really want to go to South America one day and it seems to become reality next summer since I got to know two Chileans and one guy from Paraguay personally (two of them are Bundesliga pros so I guess one or another stadium visit is also on order then  Wink ).

Patrick

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 74):
I really want to go to South America one day and it seems to become reality next summer since I got to know two Chileans

I'm sure you will love Chile! Welcome to 737-200 country. Get them while they're hot. Those days are over soon, but not quite yet.
Oh yeah and the whole country is nuts about soccer, especially NOW that they are in the World Cup. You will not be disappointed.

Soren  santahat 

eicvd

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:34 pm

Thank god the main UEFA qualifing groups have finished, international matches are boring at the best of times never mind when there meaningless, Ireland V Montenegro tonight must have been the worst match I was ever at. Best thing in the whole game was the final whistle.
COYBIB

aviationmaster

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:06 pm

The Nati and the General have made it! After a terrible start, we managed to win the group and have qualified directly for South Africa!

Ab in den Süden! Big grin

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 51):

Someone should remind the Portuguese team that a football match lasts 90+ minutes incl. stoppage time.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 65):
2.- Mexico is not that close to South America, we are looking at 4 to 8hrs flights. South American teams have complained about this, at least in the past.

They should stop whining. Asian teams also have to travel long distances for their matches and you don't see them complaining. The reason for their complaints is probably due to Mexico being a serious opponent. Plus the idea of having to play at the Azteca in front of 90'000+ fans ain't a nice one.  Wink

Quoting AM744 (Reply 65):
Sc**w CONCACAF.

checkmark 

LTU932

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 77):
Plus the idea of having to play at the Azteca in front of 90'000+ fans ain't a nice one.

The maximum capacity of the Azteca is something close to 110000.

LTU932

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:10 am

And Argentina did make it after all. I saw the first half only and I was hoping that Uruguay could do something, but I guess it's back to the playoffs for them. And apart from Paraguay and Chile, the usual suspects have officially made it to the grand stage of football. Here's the updated list:

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)
Switzerland (SUI)

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)
Chile (CHI)
Argentina (ARG)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

Mexico (MEX)
United States (USA)

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches:

OFC vs AFC:

Bahrain (BAH) vs New Zealand (NZL): 0:0 (Return leg to be played in NZL on the 14th of November)

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

Match is TBD. Possible CONCACAF teams to go to the playoff round at this stage:

Costa Rica (CRC): If they lose their match and Honduras wins.
Honduras (HON): If they lose or tie their match and Costa Rica ties or wins.

CONMEBOL Team set to play the playoff:

Uruguay (URU)

UEFA vs UEFA:

Matches are TBD. Teams to go to the playoff round are:

Greece (GRE)
Ukraine (UKR)
France (FRA)
Portugal (POR)
Slovenia (SLO, has the possibility of going to the World Cup for the first time)
Bosnia-Herzegovina (BIH)
Russia (RUS)

Note: All playoff matches are to be played in the two-match knockout format. Away goals will also have a decision on who will win the series, however penalty kicks are also possible if circumstances require it.

Yellowstone

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:10 am

Wow, bad luck for the Ticos there - Bornstein scored the equalizer for the US in the 95th minute, and that combined with Honduras' victory over El Salvador sent Costa Rica to the playoff against Uruguay.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

LTU932

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:14 am

Costa Rica has officially blown it. They were leading 0:2 when Michael Bradley scored the 1:2. Then, with just 30 seconds to go, and with Honduras leading 1:0 in San Salvador, Jonathan Borstein made the equaliser. The newspaper La Nación says in its ticker that they're out of the World Cup, even though they are going to be in the playoff against Uruguay. Here's the updated list:

UEFA (Europe):

Germany (GER)
Netherlands (NED)
England (ENG)
Spain (ESP)
Denmark (DEN)
Italy (ITA)
Serbia (SRB)
Switzerland (SUI)

Brazil (BRA)
Paraguay (PAR)
Chile (CHI)
Argentina (ARG)

AFC (Asia):

Japan (JPN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Korea DPR (PRK)
Australia (AUS)

CAF (Africa):

South Africa (RSA, Host)
Ghana (GHA)
Côte d'Ivoire (CIV)

Mexico (MEX)
United States (USA)
Honduras (HON)

OFC (Oceania):

None so far

Playoff matches:

OFC vs AFC:

CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL:

Match is TBD. Teams to go to the playoff round:

Costa Rica (CRC)
Uruguay (URU)

UEFA vs UEFA:

Matches are TBD. Teams to go to the playoff round are:

Greece (GRE)
Ukraine (UKR)
France (FRA)
Portugal (POR)
Bosnia-Herzegovina (BIH)
Russia (RUS)

Note: All playoff matches are to be played in the two-match knockout format. Away goals will also have a decision on who will win the series, however penalty kicks are also possible if circumstances require it.

Congratulations to Honduras, on making it to the World Cup for the second time ever (their first ever World Cup was Spain '82).

Alias1024

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 am

Wow!

Costa Rica just blew it with some poor defending of a corner kick 30 seconds from the final whistle. Honduras gets the win and the third automatic qualifying spot, while Costa Rica plays Uruguay in the two leg playoff.

I don't put it past Costa Rica to win the playoff. They're pretty good and I'm not sure anyone in CONMEBOL realizes how tough it is to get a result at Saprissa. That place might be worse than Azteca.

Bad couple of days for the USA despite winning the group. First striker Charlie Davies facing a potentially career ending injuries after a car accident, and now our best defender, Oguchi Onyewu, left tonight's match on a stretcher after his left knee buckled. Hopefully it isn't anything more than a sprain, but it sure looked bad.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

mke717spotter

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:20 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 80):
Wow, bad luck for the Ticos there - Bornstein scored the equalizer for the US in the 95th minute, and that combined with Honduras' victory over El Salvador sent Costa Rica to the playoff against Uruguay.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 81):
Costa Rica has officially blown it. They were leading 0:2 when Michael Bradley scored the 1:2. Then, with just 30 seconds to go, and with Honduras leading 1:0 in San Salvador, Jonathan Borstein made the equaliser.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 82):
Costa Rica just blew it with some poor defending of a corner kick 30 seconds from the final whistle. Honduras gets the win and the third automatic qualifying spot, while Costa Rica plays Uruguay in the two leg playoff.

Wow you guys said it, what another thrilling finish for the United States! I found it hilarious how two of Costa Rica's coaches got ejected around the 90th minute only to have their team loose on LITERALLY the last play of the match. Not to mention how shocked and devastated their players and remaining coaching staff looked at the end. They thought they had it in the bag and they blew it in the worst possible way!

Poland, on the other hand, which was only playing for pride at this point, continued its downward spiral and lost 1-0 at home to Slovakia. Even though they dominated most of the match, Poland practically gift wrapped a World Cup berth for Slovakia because the one goal scored was an own goal off of a Polish defender in the 4th minute.  banghead  In games that I've watched them play, Poland is now 1-5-1.

But did anybody happen to see how heavily it was snowing in Chorzow during the match? That was absolutely awesome; I don't think I've ever seen soccer played in such conditions. I wish I could've watched it longer, but I was only able to tune in a few times in-between classes at school.

Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

CamiloA380

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:09 am

Alright, Uruguay 0-1 Argentina, congratulations Argentina!

CamiloA380  Smile
Flying4Ever!

Derico

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:29 am

Wow, Costa Rica or Uruguay... that's kinda sad as I would like to see both in the WC. So I can just hope the best will win.

One funny coincidence is that in this picture you can see Maradona with Palermo and Bolatti:

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/10/13/um/fotos/seleccionmartes.jpg

Both of those players came in the 2nd half, both scored game winning goals, both are blonds.

And Maradona just announced as his new strategy that from now for the 2nd half of games he will replace the entire team with blonds.  crossfingers 
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

dc9northwest

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:02 am

PS Slovenia was been to the World Cup in 2002.

LTU932

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:16 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 85):
And Maradona just announced as his new strategy that from now for the 2nd half of games he will replace the entire team with blonds.

Interessting tactic, but it ain't gonna work all the time, especially if they play against Germany.  Wink

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 86):
Slovenia was been to the World Cup in 2002.

I didn't know that. I thought that it's now that they may go to the World Cup for the first time since their independence from Yugoslavia.

As for Costa Rica, one of the bosses at work told me that he prefers if Costa Rica doesn't qualify, so they don't embarass the country. He's himself a Costa Rican, so that says something. Anyway, it appears as if Uruguay is getting the advantage of playing the return leg of their playoff at the Centenario, therefore the first match will be at the Estadio Ricardo Saprissa.

ALexeu

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 87):
I didn't know that. I thought that it's now that they may go to the World Cup for the first time since their independence from Yugoslavia.

Bosnia has never been on WC.

Also, sad to see Israel not qualifying as I am not sure if they were ever at WC.

aviationmaster

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 88):
Also, sad to see Israel not qualifying as I am not sure if they were ever at WC.

Israel has only managed to qualify for one World Cup (Mexico 1970).

GrahamHill

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 81):
Here's the updated list:

Thanks for the update!

I'm happy to see Argentina going to the World Cup. But I still believe that Maradona is not a good coach. I'm not expecting much for them next June/July.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Yellowstone

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 83):
Wow you guys said it, what another thrilling finish for the United States!

And making it even more heartbreaking for Costa Rica - the US was playing with 10 men, having lost Onyewu to injury after all three subs had been made. Should have made it even easier to have someone cover Bornstein...
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

EZEIZA

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 90):
But I still believe that Maradona is not a good coach. I'm not expecting much for them next June/July.

Every time one of the big teams barely make it pass the qualis,. they end up doing better than expected. Having said that, Maradona is a pathetic coach. And the numbers back me up. He lost 6-1 vs. Bolivia (and that would be enough), but then a loss in paraguay, boring 1-0 vs Colombia at home, barely beat Peru with luck and with the ref helping, barely won yesterday, lost to Ecuador, Brazil .... as I said, pathetic. And as a plus, the words he used in his celebration (celebrated a 4th place like if he had won the cup) were terrible. He does not deserve the job

Longhornmaniac

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Beto,

Question for you and fellow Argentines:

Has Maradona's general lack of success at all tarnished his reputation as a player? It seemed to me while I was down there that Maradona was essentially a hero of the people, at the very least as far as athletes go. How have these results affected peoples' perception of him?

Congratulations! Vamos Argentina!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

EZEIZA

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Hey Cameron, how is everything!?  Smile

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 93):
Has Maradona's general lack of success at all tarnished his reputation as a player?

Not as a player, but it did help to get his "God" status down a bit (not enough!)

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 93):
It seemed to me while I was down there that Maradona was essentially a hero of the people

More than a hero, he is really considered a "God". There is even a church named after him, where they celebrate their Xmas on the day of his birthday. Yes, as pathetic as it sounds, it is a reality.

However, most people agfree that he is terrible as a coach, whereas when he first got the job, most thought that the team would do well just because he was coach. Most people want him out asap.

GrahamHill

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 94):
More than a hero, he is really considered a "God"

Like Zidane in France  Wink

But I think he knows that he will never be able to coach a team. Maybe training kids would be possible, but nothing higher than that. Zidane was a natural leader on the pitch because of his talent, not because of his leader of men skills.

LTU932

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 am

http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/fussball_wm2010/artikel_163043.html (German only)

I know that Ottmar Hitzfeld has always been respected and almost loved in Switzerland (after all, he started his manager career in Switzerland and has spent most of his career playing for Swiss clubs), but I wouldn't really go that far and call him a "Messias", give him the nickname "Deutscher Hexer (though I prefer "General", like we know him in Germany)", or call for the St. Jakob-Park to be re-named into "St. Ottmar-Park" as "Blick" suggests.  Wink

GrahamHill

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:16 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 92):
He does not deserve the job

There is a poll on the website of the most important French daily sports newspaper, asking if Maradona should remain the coach of Argentina.

50% say "yes"
46% say "no"
4% don't know

http://www.lequipe.fr/QDJ/Question_du_jour-1643.html

EZEIZA

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 97):
There is a poll on the website of the most important French daily sports newspaper, asking if Maradona should remain the coach of Argentina.

In Argentina all polls from different newspapers gave a huge 85-90% of people that wnt him out. Maybe the French want him to stay because they know that with him on the bench Argentina will be an easy team to beat Big grin

GrahamHill

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 98):
Maybe the French want him to stay because they know that with him on the bench Argentina will be an easy team to beat

I don't think it's the reason. And then Maradona's Argentina beat France in Marseilles 2-0 last February  sorry