N174UA

RE: Do You Plan On Upgrading To Windows 7?

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 46):
Routers (especially wireless) neither care, nor can even tell, whether the operating system or hardware you are running are 64-bit!

I was able to install the hardware with no problem at all. That wasn't the problem I had, but this was:

Quoting Revelation (Reply 54):
routers these days with setup and/or management software that runs on a PC which may or may not work well on 64 bit OSes.

I loaded the software from Netgear, and about 10 seconds into it, it informed me that the software doesn't support the 64-bit version of Vista. So, I took it back, and Radio Shack gave me a full refund.

I have a free upgrade, based on the Dell computer I bought last month. I'm not sure when it's coming, but it's the Home Premium version for 64-bit machines. I'll re-examine the wireless router option once W7 is up and running smoothly first.

socalfive

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 pm

It seems as though they've lightened it up and removed a lot of the fat and slop that Xp and especially Vista had. This thing runs absolutely unbelievable, rock solid and well worth the money. You notice the speed when installing it, it installs faster than any Windows version you've ever seen.

DO THIS though when you install. DO NOT "UPGRADE" from what you have, back up everything important, format the hard drive and install 7 fresh. It makes a world of difference.

Goldenshield

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 101):
DO THIS though when you install. DO NOT "UPGRADE" from what you have, back up everything important, format the hard drive and install 7 fresh. It makes a world of difference.

I specifically bought my 1.5 TB hard drive a few weeks back sepcifically for this purpose. I'm about 95% complete for the backups of my desktop and laptop. I just need to use the backup utility to save the User folders/mail/etc.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Continental

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:19 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 101):

So if you buy the upgrade, can you still do this? Does this mean that you need to actually have a CD rather than a download?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 103):
So if you buy the upgrade, can you still do this? Does this mean that you need to actually have a CD rather than a download?

Well, you can download the ISO and burn it to a DVD. Also, the "in-place upgrade" only works from Vista to 7. Also, you cannot do an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version.

The way I upgraded from XP Home Edition 32-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit was that I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a DVD, booted from the burned DVD, and did a "custom install".
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Fly2HMO

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 104):

Well, you can download the ISO and burn it to a DVD.

How did you do that? What I downloaded was an .exe file and two other larger files. I didn't see an option for the ISO image. Which is a problem because I can't boot to the disc if needed.

Goldenshield

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:04 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 105):
How did you do that? What I downloaded was an .exe file and two other larger files. I didn't see an option for the ISO image. Which is a problem because I can't boot to the disc if needed.

Read this article here:

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....24/windows-7-student-upgrade-hell/

Thanks to Digital River, it was not so easy to install Win 7 for some people.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 am

Where did you buy your downloadable copy of Windows 7? I preordered it at the Microsoft Store, and I was given an option to download the ISO image.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

mham001

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:11 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 88):

I should NEVER have to wait for a word processor. It should load instantly, and each function (except perhaps mail merge) should be performed instantly. Vista and Word 2007 make you wait.

So, if only evil Microsoft writes such poor software, why did it just take OpenOffice3 19 seconds to load on my T42 with Windows 7? Is this Microsofts fault too?

LTU932

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 106):
Thanks to Digital River, it was not so easy to install Win 7 for some people.

How can it be difficult for them? Those setup programmes are fairly easy to use, regardless of platform. It's not like you're trying to figure out how to use FDISK to prepare a harddrive, then use the format c: command to format that harddrive, and then use the SELECT application to install MS-DOS 4.01 on it.

Try to have some people use FDISK prior to installing an OS, even I, who can figure out things on his own, have had problems understanding FDISK and how I should use it.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Goldenshield

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:22 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 109):
Those setup programmes are fairly easy to use, regardless of platform. It's not like you're trying to figure out how to use FDISK to prepare a harddrive,

The problem is that those installing the 64 bit edition downloaded via Digital River did not have an ISO to burn to DVD, and well, that proves to be a problem when transitioning to 64 bit requires you to format your drive.

Fly2HMO

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:43 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 107):

Where did you buy your downloadable copy of Windows 7? I preordered it at the Microsoft Store, and I was given an option to download the ISO image.

Did it through the student discount website. They had no option for ISO images  Sad

D L X

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 108):
So, if only evil Microsoft writes such poor software

I don't know where you got the idea that I think only Microsoft makes poor software.

OA260

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:26 am

I think I am going to re install Google Chrome for my Browser. I prefer the layout TBH. Does IE8 have a similar layout you can change to?

Oh and seeing as Outlook Express has been ditched is there another similar solution?

[Edited 2009-10-26 03:30:41]

cpd

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:19 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 113):
Oh and seeing as Outlook Express has been ditched is there another similar solution?

You can use Thunderbird, the Mozilla mail client.

I however use Outlook 2007, so I've got quite a huge mailbox to migrate across, along with a lot of software.

Goldenshield

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 114):

Or Windows Live Mail.

ac888yow

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:53 pm

My HP laptop came with a free Windows 7 upgrade. I filled out all of the necessary documentation and expect to receive a DVD at some point in the near future.

'They' recommend doing the upgrade, but I always like doing clean installs (low-level format HD first). Does anyone know if this upgrade DVD is fully-functional, allowing me to do a clean install if I so choose?

[Edited 2009-10-26 12:06:09]

Goldenshield

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting AC888YOW (Reply 116):
Does anyone know if this upgrade DVD is fully-funtionable, allowing me to do a clean install if I so choose?

You can do a clean install. It will wipe your drive (as is to be expected) to do it. However, not having installed it yet, I'm not sure it if wipes any backup and maintenance partitions, though.

ac888yow

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

OA260

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:01 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 114):

Thats excellent just what I needed. Downloaded and working great. Thanks very much  Smile

fraspotter

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:22 pm

When I bought a new Gateway desktop this summer I went online and took up their offer of a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it came out in October... I still have the email that was sent confirming the order though in the message it says that "orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they were received". What time frame should I be looking at in receiving my copy? I take it that this program has had many takers so it may take awhile? I know it's been out for less than a week but I'm curious anyway...

Anyone else who took the offer receive their copy yet?
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Continental

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:49 am

My friend mentioned today that when he went to install the downloaded version (29.99 with .edu address), he had the option to format the hard drive and install the new version clean. Wouldn't this mean that you don't need the ISO?

Goldenshield

Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 121):
Wouldn't this mean that you don't need the ISO?

If you only have 1 hard drive, I don't see how that would work. Even with two, I don't see how it would work, because it requires you to reboot 3 times during installation, which means that you'd have to somehow boot from a file from within a non-bootable medium.

However, I've heard of people using bootable USB sticks.

Continental

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 122):
However, I've heard of people using bootable USB sticks.

Aha, so a bootable USB should work? According to a few websites, making your USB bootable seems pretty easy.

WildcatYXU

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 pm

I guess I'll have to wait a bit - my Windows 7 DVD's are on backorder.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

jm017

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:38 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 70):

My bad, I was going with OEM versions, not retail. Price difference is $40, but thanks. I'll go with Pro; the two features aren't worth the $20 ~$40 extra anyway.

I saw a decent deal on an OEM version of Windows 7. My question is: why the difference in price between the OEM version and the standard version? I am also a little confused as to what the OEM version is. I have seen different descriptions of what OEM is.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

LTU932

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 am

Quoting JM017 (Reply 125):
OEM version

The OEM version is usually the version that comes pre-installed on a new computer and is only intended for sale with a new computer or new parts. Unless you intend to buy a new computer, I recommend that you don't buy an OEM version, because in the case of Windows, I've heard that they tend to become tied to the hardware, potentially causing problems during activation and possibly even preventing installation on a different computer.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Fly2HMO

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:16 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 117):
However, not having installed it yet, I'm not sure it if wipes any backup and maintenance partitions, though.

Quoting Continental (Reply 121):
Wouldn't this mean that you don't need the ISO?

Yeah you don't. But the reason I wanted one was to create a DVD to store the image file that would also be bootable in case I need to do a reinstall from the BIOS in an emergency.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 122):

If you only have 1 hard drive, I don't see how that would work. Even with two, I don't see how it would work, because it requires you to reboot 3 times during installation, which means that you'd have to somehow boot from a file from within a non-bootable medium.

Well it works just fine, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this.  Wink

The way it does it is that it saves some bootable files to whatever drive is at hand. During the install I noticed that the "Select OS" screen would show up after the restarts showing the "new" Windows 7 you are currently trying to install as an additional OS. The installer sets the computer to boot to the new "installation OS" and after everything is done deletes said "ghost" OS and there you have a new clean install without any image files and from within Windows.

Goldenshield

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:24 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 127):
The way it does it is that it saves some bootable files to whatever drive is at hand. During the install I noticed that the "Select OS" screen would show up after the restarts showing the "new" Windows 7 you are currently trying to install as an additional OS. The installer sets the computer to boot to the new "installation OS" and after everything is done deletes said "ghost" OS and there you have a new clean install without any image files and from within Windows.

Well, there you have it.  

Myself, I used the upgrade DVDs on a clean drive(s), and both times, using the activation method in Windows itself (which is based on you SKIPPING the insertion of the key, and activation during installation,) experienced no issues with the activation whatsoever. It certainly beat a clean install with the "full version."  

Just to note, I DO have old OSs (XP/Vista) backed up on other drives. So, ethically, it's fair.  Smile

[Edited 2009-11-02 18:25:55]

jm017

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 126):
The OEM version is usually the version that comes pre-installed on a new computer and is only intended for sale with a new computer or new parts. Unless you intend to buy a new computer, I recommend that you don't buy an OEM version, because in the case of Windows, I've heard that they tend to become tied to the hardware, potentially causing problems during activation and possibly even preventing installation on a different computer.

Thanks for the info.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

janmnastami

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

I received my copy of Windows7 upgrade from HP this morning. Two DVDs (one for Windows7, one for HP upgrade manager with the drivers): it took about 4 hours to upgrade the system from Vista, at the moment I don't see a strong increase of performance.

JakeOrion

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Not sure where you received that info from, but I have Windows 7 64 bit Pro OEM and have had no problems whatsoever in terms of this hardware lockup. I was running Windows XP 32 Bit Pro, inserted my 7 disk, and I was reformatted and up and running in less than 45 minutes. The only problems I've had so far are (which was to be expected) compatibility problems of running certain programs, mainly games. Other than that, Windows 7 is EXCELLENT!

EDIT: I've been hearing lots of bad juju coming from WIndows 7 Upgrade versions, so might want to stay way from that version. OEM is basically the same as the retail version, only its without the tech support (which you have to pay when you call Microsoft anyway.)

[Edited 2009-11-04 12:34:07]

[Edited 2009-11-04 12:34:58]
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Unless you intend to buy a new computer, I recommend that you don't buy an OEM version, because in the case of Windows, I've heard that they tend to become tied to the hardware, potentially causing problems during activation and possibly even preventing installation on a different computer.

Not necessarily. OEM versions are available on DVD's and aren't tied to any hardware. As a matter of fact, there's no hardware to tie them to...Here's what I'm getting:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...etails.asp?EdpNo=5213934&CatId=306
I purchased 3 licenses for PC's built this year. The shipment should arrive today, so I expect my sons to start the installation before I arrive home. I'll let you know how did it work.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

AA757MIA

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 pm

I just upgraded, had problems installing the 64 bit version though... It just kept hanging at 29% when "Expanding Windows Files". The computer was running and reading from the DVD but it just wouldnt go past 29%, do you have any ideas about the cause of the problem? I figured it might be the DVD, I got it at school, so I will just download and burn it again.

In the meantime I installed the 32 bit version, just because I didnt feel like going back to Vista.

One question though, what antivirus are you guys running? I had Symantec for vista, but I dont think it'll work on 7? I dont want to spend money on a new one.

JAGflyer

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm

I received a copy of an upgrade version from Dell since my laptop is only 6 months old. One thing that I am bothered by is the lack of a traditional quick-launch toolbar and the ability to have the MSN Live Messenger logo in the system tray. Now it just stays in the taskbar. I figured out how to make the taskbar display programs normally like in Vista and previous versions but the lack of a traditional quick-launch toolbar and system tray are bugging me.

Thanks
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

AA757MIA

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:30 pm

I just noticed that about the MSN and dont like it either!

FX772LRF

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:54 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 134):
I received a copy of an upgrade version from Dell since my laptop is only 6 months old. One thing that I am bothered by is the lack of a traditional quick-launch toolbar and the ability to have the MSN Live Messenger logo in the system tray. Now it just stays in the taskbar. I figured out how to make the taskbar display programs normally like in Vista and previous versions but the lack of a traditional quick-launch toolbar and system tray are bugging me.

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 135):
I just noticed that about the MSN and dont like it either!

I had problems with this too. I currently have it set up where it is in the system tray. You've got to change the compatibility to Vista.

Start --> Search "Windows Live Messenger" --> Right Click --> Properties --> Compatibility --> Check off "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode for:" and select Windows Vista --> Hit Apply and Ok.

If this doesn't work, let me know.

Also, the "updated" version of Windows Live Messenger Plus has a problem if you do this and open it. I had to system restore because of it.

-Noah  wave 
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

JAGflyer

Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:49 am

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 136):

That worked great! Thanks
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

AA757MIA

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:55 am

It worked for me too, thanks...

AA757MIA

Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:07 am

Has anyone run FSX on both Vista & 7? (is at compatible?) What about FS9?
If so, did you notice any performance improvement?

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:27 am

The DVD's with the systems finally arrived; all 3 are installed. Two absolutely without problems (both on Phenom X4's ), installed by my youngest. I had to take over the third installation (Athlon 64 X2) however, since it kept crashing. After some work I found the cause - problematic hard drive. So the third installation works now OK as well.

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 139):
Has anyone run FSX on both Vista & 7?

Very briefly on W7. The original FSX software works without any problems (it's early to judge performance), however i have problems with Abacus aircraft. I guess I'll have to try it in XP mode.