ManuCH
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Apple Refreshes IMacs, MacBooks, Mac Minis & Mouse

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Apple has just refreshed several product lines:

- new MacBook: featuring an LED display, glass multi-touch trackpad and up to 7 hours battery life

- new iMac: 21.5" and 27" LED display, quad-core CPU

- new Mac Mini: new CPU speeds, and server edition with 2x500 GB harddisks and Snow Leopard Server

- new Magic Mouse: a new mouse with multi-touch surface that acts as a multi-functional scroll wheel

So, what do you think? Are you getting any of these things? I'm ordering the Magic Mouse. I haven't used an Apple Mouse so far (the Mighty Mouse was unusable IMHO), but this one is really promising.

http://www.apple.com

[Edited 2009-10-20 09:59:00]
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Ken777

RE: Apple Refreshes IMacs, MacBooks, Mac Minis & Mouse

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:02 pm

I've been waiting patiently for the new iMacs. I had an original G5 iMac that got zapped when the power company's contractor was replacing the transformer for our house. The insurance check will be paying for the replacement, but it looks like the i7 quad will start delivering in November.

That's only 10 days away.  Yeah sure

I've always thought that Apple & MS like to play games with each other and am not surprised that Apple is dropping these new products on the market 2 days before Win 7 - and the same week that MS is opening their first store.

That leaves the MS store (that will be near the Apple Store) rather empty when compared to the Apple Store - unless MS can fly in a lot of employees to keep their store full.  Smile

AirPacific747

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow! Looking sexy! The magic mouse looks really nice too  Smile Wish I could afford it all!

JBirdAV8r

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
That leaves the MS store (that will be near the Apple Store) rather empty when compared to the Apple Store - unless MS can fly in a lot of employees to keep their store full.

rotfl   checkmark 

Looks like they're going with the 16:9 displays too. I kind of like the extra space that the 16:10 provided, though. My PC's 24" 16:10 LCD bit the big one last week and the biggest monitor Best Buy had to replace it was a 23" 16:9. Feels like a gigantic step backward, but the refresh rate is better and the picture is noticeably better...guess my other one was just cheap.

The Magic Mouse looks very promising. I used my Mighty Mouse for about half a year before I threw it in the junk drawer. Maybe I'm just constantly dirty, but the ball on mine kept gumming up and it would never scroll down. Plus it just felt cheaply constructed.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

tootallsd

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Sexy sexy sexy machines. I love the idea of the track pad on the mouse top. What a great idea. Remember when an imac was low end? 2TB (I remember my first PC had 20Megs and we thought that was EXPANSIVE!) and quad cores! I wish my MacBookPro wasn't so new.

na

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 pm

I think I´ll be getting a new I-mac some time next year. I dont want to wait until my current one quits without my permission, as I will need it as a fallback for years to come.
Shame my favorite software program wont run on the new ones anymore, I have no clue how to solve that problem at the moment.
I´ve a 20" now, 4 years old, so it´ll probably be a 21,5" as the 24" is discontinued. The 27" seems to be one step to big, but I havent decided yet.

LTU932

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:17 am

I'm not so sure about the "Magic Mouse", especially considering that I'm one of those few people who's had little if any problem with the Mighty Mouse.

As for the new iMacs, I need to see if I can afford one once I've saved enough money when I return to Germany. Maybe I'll get the 27 inch one.

One beef that I do have is that the wireless keyboard does not have the numpad (the same with the wired one on previous generation iMacs). Now, I know that you can get the wired one with the numpad, but even then I don't understand why Apple doesn't make a wireless keyboard with a numpad?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

cpd

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 am

Quoting ManuCH (Thread starter):
So, what do you think? Are you getting any of these things? I'm ordering the Magic Mouse. I haven't used an Apple Mouse so far (the Mighty Mouse was unusable IMHO), but this one is really promising.

My iMac is feeling very inadequate!

I dislike the new keyboard, love the new mouse - love everything else. Maybe I'll get the new mouse - I never liked the magic mouse, but I'll be happy with the iMac I've got for the moment.  Smile

Got to love Apple.  Smile Easiest to use phone, wonderful computers.  Smile

ManuCH
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:55 am

Quoting NA (Reply 5):
Shame my favorite software program wont run on the new ones anymore, I have no clue how to solve that problem at the moment.

Would you like to share what software it is? Maybe someone knows how to help  Wink

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
One beef that I do have is that the wireless keyboard does not have the numpad (the same with the wired one on previous generation iMacs). Now, I know that you can get the wired one with the numpad, but even then I don't understand why Apple doesn't make a wireless keyboard with a numpad?

I have a wired keyboard with the numpad, and I wouldn't want one without - nor would I ever want a wireless keyboard. There's something in wireless keyboards that I just don't like. Maybe the fact that I want the keys to be wired into my system, especially because this gives me "hard control" over it (especially during the boot phase, I don't want to depend on Blueooth). But I guess that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 7):
I dislike the new keyboard

Really? I type almost twice as fast with the new one when compared to the old one... give it a try!

Quoting Cpd (Reply 7):
Got to love Apple.   Easiest to use phone, wonderful computers.  

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

cpd

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:04 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 8):
Really? I type almost twice as fast with the new one

New one, as in the new one with no numeric keypad. I do much prefer the flat design keyboard over the clear plastic and white one they previously had on some computers.

Klaus

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:03 am

I've always thought that Apple & MS like to play games with each other and am not surprised that Apple is dropping these new products on the market 2 days before Win 7 - and the same week that MS is opening their first store.

Apple had just presented their (stellar) quarterly results on Monday... I'm pretty sure they just wanted the new Macs out the door directly after that...

Pretty good lineup, all in all.

The Magic Mouse, however, is only interesting to me if it can provide more than just the relatively few standard gestures, probably with additional drivers...

bill142

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:08 am

Quoting NA (Reply 5):
The 27" seems to be one step to big, but I havent decided yet.

I was expecting a 26" at some point, but not a 27. They really can't go to much bigger other wise you're going to have to sit so far back from the thing, you might as well just turn it into a tv.

MD-90

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:49 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 3):
Looks like they're going with the 16:9 displays too. I kind of like the extra space that the 16:10 provided, though. My PC's 24" 16:10 LCD bit the big one last week and the biggest monitor Best Buy had to replace it was a 23" 16:9. Feels like a gigantic step backward, but the refresh rate is better and the picture is noticeably better...guess my other one was just cheap.

I agree. I have a 22" 16:10 Samsung monitor and I don't see why computers should have 16:9 aspect ratios. When looking at a document or anything else that has vertical height you are at a disadvantage with the lesser height of 16:9. Although if it's a 27" monitor I suppose that wouldn't matter...much.

idealstandard

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:19 am

Nice.

Annoying though - we just bought 100 20" aluminium 2ghz iMacs (we sell second hand macs) so that will have a hit on their value!

na

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 8):
Would you like to share what software it is? Maybe someone knows how to help  

Freehand mx. I still like it more than the more capable (if you need, and often you dont), but in most cases less practical and overly complex Illustrator CS4 with its myriads of palettes. Illustrator is also the slower program. If it needs to be fast and not too complex (which is in 95% of all cases) I always choose Freehand over Illustrator. A shame Tyrannosaurus Abobe killed it.

cpd

Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 14):
Freehand mx.

I never knew anyone still used Freehand. I remember it well. But then, like most others, I became an Adobe drone. Adobe = industry standard, must follow everyone else...

Probably like most people left Quark and went InDesign (which was cheaper). I used to be a real Quark stalwart, until I got started in ID CS2, and since then, never gone back.

That's the thing in this industry, everyone gravitates around the industry standards - I guess because that's what keeps you in a job many cases - although I'm less likely to move about now.

But I do like the personalised and individual support we get from Adobe (we are probably one of their biggest clients).

AirPacific747

Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 11):

I was expecting a 26" at some point, but not a 27. They really can't go to much bigger other wise you're going to have to sit so far back from the thing, you might as well just turn it into a tv.

Well my dad uses a 32" monitor for his PC, and yes it was meant to be a PC monitor Big grin

N328KF

Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 11):

Little-noticed (but still occasionally mentioned) is the fact that the new 27" iMacs have mini-DisplayPort inputs that can do HDCP. This means that (with an adapter) you can use them for a display for another computer, set-top box, BluRay player, or game system that has HDMI/mini-DP/DVI ports.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

ManuCH
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 14):
Freehand mx.

There seems to be a discussion where the problem is solved at the end on this page:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2222990

Give it a try...

MSNDC9

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 pm

No BD Drive capability....

FAIL!

coiah756ca

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:39 pm

I just picked up the new Macbook Pro 15" and I love this thing. But my old iMac still has its perks. I just the Memory upgraded and got Leopard in it.

If you ask me, Macs are amazing I will never go back to windows.
Long live Denver-STAPLETON. RIP the old and best KDEN

Klaus

RE: Apple Refreshes IMacs, MacBooks, Mac Minis & M

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 19):
No BD Drive capability....

FAIL!

...and a glaring "lack" of the brutal DRM BluRay happens to impose on all major components of the operating system.

WIN!  bigthumbsup 

If I had a strong urge to watch high-definition movies on my computer, I might feel differently. But I don't.

For data usage it's of course possible to use a BluRay drive with a Mac, but given the notoriously low reliability of burned optical media and many better alternatives, there are fewer and fewer reasons for that as well.

I would actually prefer it if Apple ditched optical drives altogether from all Macs except for specific built-to-order versions. I've used mine only rarely anyway, and for that an external one would have been plenty. Especially the MacBooks could greatly benefit from all the space and weight no longer being wasted on the dead weight I have to carry around.

na

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 18):

Quoting NA (Reply 14):
Freehand mx.

There seems to be a discussion where the problem is solved at the end on this page:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2222990

Give it a try...

Thanks for the link. There seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.
And I´m not alone using Freehand, others even saying learning Illustrator is a step backward from Freehand, which partly is true. Why must illustrator be so complex and some functions (like the most common functions, drawing curves) be so unprecise on Adobe?
You really need a 16:9 screen for Illustrator, otherwise you´ll be opening and closing palettes half of the time.

MSNDC9

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):
...and a glaring "lack" of the brutal DRM BluRay happens to impose on all major components of the operating system.

WIN!

For all of Apple's vocal support of the BD format then not include it in its first new products since the BD/HD-DVD battle ended.... its a FAIL!

Klaus

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 23):
For all of Apple's vocal support of the BD format

Such as?

I'm not aware of "all their vocal support" for some reason.

Quoting Steve Jobs:

Jobs: ‘Blu-ray is a bag of hurt’ | Storage & Backup | Macworld

"You know, Blu-ray is a bag of hurt. I don’t mean from a consumer point of view—it’s great to watch movies—but the licensing is so complex.

We’re waiting until things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace before we burden our customers with the cost of the licensing and the cost of the drives."

[Edited 2009-10-23 09:22:19]

MSNDC9

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
I'm not aware of "all their vocal support" for some reason

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html

rjpieces

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Has anyone on here tested the new Mouse yet?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Klaus

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 25):
Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
I'm not aware of "all their vocal support" for some reason

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005....html

That was in 2005. Back then the ultra-brutal DRM BluRay has mandatory today was not yet decided on. Apple is a member of many standards bodies in order to keep an eye on things and to actively promote some of them.

In BluRay's case their participation obviously didn't bear fruit – BluRay pursues the exact opposite of Apple's strategy with the iTunes Store, in the process making the professional pirates the ones who can get the best use out of the format. Not the first time the content industry has aimed for its own foot...

MSNDC9

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):
That was in 2005. Back then the ultra-brutal DRM BluRay has mandatory today was not yet decided on. Apple is a member of many standards bodies in order to keep an eye on things and to actively promote some of them.

In BluRay's case their participation obviously didn't bear fruit – BluRay pursues the exact opposite of Apple's strategy with the iTunes Store, in the process making the professional pirates the ones who can get the best use out of the format. Not the first time the content industry has aimed for its own foot...

Maybe it didn't make much news in Autobahn land, but Apple's support in the US for the BD format is well known. Some where even irritated because of Apple's participation because HD-DVD was a more "open" format.

AverageUser

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm

In BluRay's case their participation obviously didn't bear fruit – BluRay pursues the exact opposite of Apple's strategy with the iTunes Store, in the process making the professional pirates the ones who can get the best use out of the format

Job's saying "please shop other your BluRay pruducts from other manufacturers".

Not the first time the content industry has aimed for its own foot...

Hah, that'll be Jobs all rite...

I just checked this: the number of BluRay films in stock with my wholeseller is increasing all the time, while a huge proportion of the DVD titles are "EOL'd" (End of Life). That's my market analysis.

I'm sure Klaus will change his mind ... when Jobs is forced to...

Klaus

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:21 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 28):
Maybe it didn't make much news in Autobahn land, but Apple's support in the US for the BD format is well known.

I've been aware of their participation in the BluRay consortium from the get-go. But if you have nothing but a very old press release that's approaching an age of half a decade, your claim that Apple was an avid supporter of BD is just not supportable, especially not in light of newer statements.

My much more recent quote of Steve Jobs gives a much more accurate picture of Apple's position regarding BluRay at this time.

There is no trace of Apple today being a "vocal suporter" of BD as far as I can see, which is why your "FAIL" is nonsense – ruining the entire operating system just so a few people can play BluRay disks on it would be a major failure on its own.

I rather enjoy the relatively liberal environment on the Mac with as little DRM as possible at this point.

Klaus

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Quoting Averageuser (Reply 29):
Job's saying "please shop other your BluRay pruducts from other manufacturers".

If you are completely committed to BluRay at any cost, that might of course be your consequence.

For me it's the other way around – I find physical media annoying anyway and I detest DRM, especially when it is as onerous as in the case of BD.

Quoting Averageuser (Reply 29):
I'm sure Klaus will change his mind ... when Jobs is forced to...

Hardly. This is another example of decisions coming at a cost – either way. And at this point I perceive too little benefit for the costs and drawbacks BD support would have in tow.

When the costs should come down sufficiently (such as the BD DRM being loosened substantially when it's cracked thoroughly enough anyway) or if the benefits should increase (which is the more unlikely part), my breakeven point might be reached eventually, That is where a change might be coming from.

ManuCH
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 31):
I find physical media annoying anyway and I detest DRM, especially when it is as onerous as in the case of BD.

I absolutely agree. Furthermore - but maybe that's only a difference between US and Europe - I don't know anyone personally who actually buys BluRay movies. Nobody, zero. The technology is here, there are players around, but they're expensive, as are the movies. Somehow I see this entire physical media thing to buy movies born dead.

The "minimal DRM" approach Apple is using (ie. restricting playback of purchased HD content from iTunes to HDCP screens) is just perfect in my opinion. I don't need BluRay licensing to lock down my system like it happens on Windows.

MSNDC9

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 30):
But if you have nothing but a very old press release that's approaching an age of half a decade

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...q=Apple+backs+Bluray&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

aero145

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

So I tried the new iMacs out today.

Maaaaaaaaaan, they are amazingly fast and not too expensive either. I will be getting a 21.5” without a doubt some day!

Klaus

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 33):
Quoting Klaus (Reply 30):
But if you have nothing but a very old press release that's approaching an age of half a decade

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aqi=

Oh, come on!

I can google myself, thank you. So where is Apple's supposedly "vocal support" of BluRay among the completely unspecific results of your search?

Just hoping that somewhere in the mass of results your claim might find some support is not really a viable discussion tactic, you know...?

Your claim was very specific, but it seems you're empty-handed on that one.

[Edited 2009-10-23 11:09:34]

AverageUser

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 32):

I absolutely agree. Furthermore - but maybe that's only a difference between US and Europe - I don't know anyone personally who actually buys BluRay movies

I don't know but someone's buying them from my wholeseller all the time increasingly -- it's a huge warehouse serving Finland and the Baltic countries. They will not waste hi-tech storage facilities for items that would just sit on the selves.

MSNDC9

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 35):
Your claim was very specific, but it seems you're empty-handed on that one.

No BD support after serving on the BD Board.

FAIL!

DRM issues are a red herring.

Look, I know you love the MAC. I have one too. I also have a PC running WIndows 7. You know what? What lilttle advantage the Mac had when I was running Vista just evaporated. You know what else? The PC cost about 1/3 less and can be upgraded on the fly. It also supports BD. For the cost of a MAC they could have included BD after being on the BD board, but they did not. To claim DRM is the problem is a bunch of bull. Its a typical Apple-ism. Always have to be different, only now being different means falling behind.

[Edited 2009-10-23 11:44:10]

ZRH

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 3):
The Magic Mouse looks very promising. I used my Mighty Mouse for about half a year before I threw it in the junk drawer. Maybe I'm just constantly dirty, but the ball on mine kept gumming up and it would never scroll down. Plus it just felt cheaply constructed.

I absolutely agree with you about the Mighty Mouse, it scrolls bad. I am just back from the Apple Store here in Zurich. The new iMacs look great but what I liked best is really new the mouse. I wanted to buy one for my Mac but they did not have it on stock yet (they only sell it with the new Macs) so I have to wait till next week.

EA772LR

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:12 pm

I have the 13" MacBook that I bought in January, upgraded to Snow Leopard (it's awesome!) and mine is the all aluminum uni-body with the black keyboard...why did they go back to the white?? I have an iBook from 2005, and the white sucks! The aluminum is much more elegant and feels much much more solid. Other than that, I love EVERYTHING Apple comes out with. I've been using Apple since 1986 and will never go to anything else. Apple is the flagship of PC computers.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

N328KF

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 pm

EA772LR, you understand that the aluminum MacBook was renamed to MacBook Pro and is still for sale?
-Donny Miller

EA772LR

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes N328KF, but my question is why did they stop making the MacBook aluminum? When they released my version of the MacBook last October, Apple touted that you could now buy a MacBook in the same package as the MacBook Pro with the aluminum body, but for the price of the regular MacBook. I absolutely love the rigid aluminum body of the 13" MacBook.

N328KF

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:48 pm

EA772LR, they never "stopped".

So let's go back to when you bought your unit, in January.

The plastic MacBooks have been sold this whole time, and were revised earlier this week.
The aluminum MacBooks (what you have) were renamed to MacBook Pro, and are still available in 13" display sizes.

The aluminum models are mostly the same, with some incremental changes (Firewire, better display.)

The basic model breakdown has not changed, and it's mainly a matter of naming convention.
-Donny Miller

EA772LR

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 pm

N328KF, sorry for the confusion. I realize Mac has had the $999 white plastic MacBook the last couple of years, but I was just not sure why they renamed the aluminum MacBook the MacBook Pro. Weird to me that's all. Thanks for the clarity though  checkmark 

BartBus

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:26 pm

I hope they will create a black mouse, matching the macbook pro design.

N328KF

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:42 am

EA772LR, it's because they added "pro" features to the 13" MacBook Pro. For instance, you can get it with SSD, and it has Firewire and a better LCD display compared to the plastic MacBook. There are other differences, I'm sure. There was more of a spread between the two models until this week, but I'm sure that they will update the 13" MacBook Pro again to further differentiate it.
-Donny Miller

Klaus

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:27 am

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 37):
No BD support after serving on the BD Board.

FAIL!

I see you've finally dropped the claim of "Apple's vocal support of the BD format". Good choice.

The problem is that you misunderstand why large IT companies like Apple join such organisations. It is not in order to cheer for the respective format, it is to gain some influence on the way it is defined, getting preferential licensing terms and related issues.

Look, I know you love the MAC. I have one too. I also have a PC running WIndows 7. You know what? What lilttle advantage the Mac had when I was running Vista just evaporated.

I don't "love" Macs. I prefer to use them, and I know from experience why I do.

If you cannot perceive such an advantage, that is up to you. For myself I see pretty much just another release of Vista with a new paint job on top and all the same problems underneath.

DRM issues are a red herring.

For the cost of a MAC they could have included BD after being on the BD board, but they did not. To claim DRM is the problem is a bunch of bull. Its a typical Apple-ism. Always have to be different, only now being different means falling behind.

Someone who has no idea what the consequences of such decisions actually involved can easily say that (even though it takes a bit of mind acrobatics to make plausible why Apple would forego the obvious marketing opportunities, which you so far haven't managed to do).

It is a very different thing when you are the only independent OS manufacturer this side of Microsoft and you are pondering whether you want to hand over the keys to your own operating system and to your future strategies to an external consortium, which is basically what the licensing terms demand.

The AACS/BD+ DRM is the most aggressive DRM that ever existed, and its adoption requires major changes to a computer operating system to the disadvantage of the manufacturer and the users.

Microsoft has never been shy of wanting to go there (see the whole Palladium debacle); One of the reasons why I prefer Macs is that Apple has consistently pushed for removal or at least liberalization of DRM; Their wide-ranging involvement with Open Source is another indication of their different strategy.

You may prefer the Microsoft approach, but I – both as a user and as a developer – am glad that I can remain free of the consequences of a BluRay adoption for the time being.

I'm not interested in HD video enough to see much of a downside there for me.

TheRedBaron

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:01 pm

That leaves the MS store (that will be near the Apple Store) rather empty when compared to the Apple Store - unless MS can fly in a lot of employees to keep their store full.  

They say MS offers free vacations to employees if their destination is Scottsdale Az.  duck 

Quoting NA (Reply 14):
Freehand mx. I still like it more than the more capable (if you need, and often you dont), but in most cases less practical and overly complex Illustrator CS4 with its myriads of palettes. Illustrator is also the slower program. If it needs to be fast and not too complex (which is in 95% of all cases) I always choose Freehand over Illustrator. A shame Tyrannosaurus Abobe killed it.

I still Use Freehand on an old Powerbook G4. Hate Illustrator, too complex too bulky.

People who wont buy a Imac because it doest play Blue ray movies, are the same who complain they cant play games on Imacs  Yeah sure

If you want to play Blue ray discs get a player a big TV screen 1080p please. and if you need to play games get a 360 or a gaming rig.
Its like people complaining that they cant use their Ferrari to get off the road...

I really like their mac mini with server software installed, very cheap and great server software, a bargain if you ask me.
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

a1ring23

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:48 pm

I want the new macbook so bad atm.

Those curves + LED backlight + 7 hours battery life = WIN!!
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?

AverageUser

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 46):
The AACS/BD+ DRM is the most aggressive DRM that ever existed, and its adoption requires major changes to a computer operating system to the disadvantage of the manufacturer and the users.

Klaus, DRM is not going to harm you if you buy your legal titles in legal shops, is it not so? If a customer fancies spending her money the way she wants to, why would you out of all people complain, if I'm not mistaken for your part I think you said you prefer pirating titles?

"Major changes to operating systems" I think we discussed as well not long ago, and that was another major red herring if I recall.