Superfly

RE: Which Affordable Car Would Like At The Moment?

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Quoting SkyGourmet (Reply 98):
Not true, the Subaru Impreza starts at $17,495 with a 170 hp engine.

Is the AWD model priced under $20,000?
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 99):

A quick Google will also show nothing mentioning the Veyron drivetrain defaulting to a 100:0 F/R torque split. It just doesn't make any sense to have the engine in the middle and send all the power forward.

checkmark 

Everything I've read, seen, or heard about the Veyron says that the power is always sent to the rear wheels first and to the front ones only if needed.

A342

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 am

Quoting MrChips (Reply 99):
AMS is, in my opinion, one of the worst written and poorly researched automobile magazines on the planet

A most curious statement, to say the least. Never heard such an opinion about it before, and I have yet to come across any false reporting on their part.

The source you provide does not seem trustworthy to me. A very subjective article where not even an author is mentioned (as far as I can see). It's not even a magazine. From the website:

"Primarily, our site is designed to help you search for vehicles, whether new or used, for sale in your area. (...) Additionally, after you find your new car on our site, you can begin the financing process here as well. We’ll connect you with a few of our certified lenders for quotes on auto loans. Lastly, we can also provide you with information on different auto parts and where to purchase them."

http://www.automobile.com/about-us.html

Doesn't sound very professional, huh?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

SkyGourmet

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 100):

All Subaru vehicles are AWD (atleast those sold in the US).

Superfly

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:30 am

Quoting SkyGourmet (Reply 103):
All Subaru vehicles are AWD (atleast those sold in the US).

Well add the Subaru Impreza to the list of one of the best affordable cars in the US.
Bring back the Concorde

ACDC8

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 104):

Well add the Subaru Impreza to the list of one of the best affordable cars in the US.

Just a shame they had to butcher they sytling on the hatchback/wagon model. The sedan is OK, but the previous generation was much nicer to look at.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

JJJ

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 85):
FWD isn't inherently a bad thing but has a few drawbacks like understeer, torque steer. RWD is *usually* superior but it depends how it's implemented.

For small and relatively low-power vehicles, FWD is actually better as RWD means extra weight and consumes space.

That said, manufacturers are using slip differentials and other electronic gimmicks to relieve some of the drawbacks of FWD. Someone has already mentioned the Focus RS, which sadly I haven't got to drive (yet) but gets great reviews, and that's over 300hp on the front wheels only.

Fly2HMO

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 106):
FWD is actually better as RWD means extra weight and consumes space.

True, but once again, depends how its implemented.

Quoting JJJ (Reply 106):
which sadly I haven't got to drive (yet) but gets great reviews, and that's over 300hp on the front wheels only.

IMO anything over 250hp in the front wheels is way too much. They tested the RS in Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson did a drag race without his hands on the wheel to see if the new diff on it was all hyped up or not. Turns out it was, as soon as he floored it the steering wheel was all over the place, that thing had lots of torque steer and the diff didn't help much.

Superfly

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 106):
For small and relatively low-power vehicles, FWD is actually better as RWD means extra weight and consumes space.

Space efficiency is an advantage to small front-drive cars. Not sure why most front-drive cars don't take advantage by designing a flat floor. The first generation front-drive cars such as the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado and Cadillac Eldorado had a completely flat floor in the passenger compartment.
Most small front-drive cars today still have the hump and a console shifter that takes up space.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 107):
IMO anything over 250hp in the front wheels is way too much. They tested the RS in Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson did a drag race without his hands on the wheel to see if the new diff on it was all hyped up or not. Turns out it was, as soon as he floored it the steering wheel was all over the place, that thing had lots of torque steer and the diff didn't help much.

A bit off topic but I hope Cadillac does away with front-drive cars all together. It's a shame that their senior most model (DTS) is on a front-drive platform. It's around 300HP too.
Bring back the Concorde

MrChips

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 102):

A most curious statement, to say the least. Never heard such an opinion about it before, and I have yet to come across any false reporting on their part.

The source you provide does not seem trustworthy to me. A very subjective article where not even an author is mentioned (as far as I can see). It's not even a magazine. From the website:

I grabbed the wrong source by accident - a byproduct of using too many windows at once, I guess. Here's the one I intended to get:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...511_bugatti_veryon/suspension.html

And here's some more, if you don't find them "trustworthy" enough:

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...buggatti_veyron_gallery/index.html
http://www.edmunds.com/bugatti/veyron164/2006/review.html

And I still stand by what I say about Auto Motor und Sport - any magazine that is so poorly researched as to say that the Veyron defaults to a front-driver isn't worth the paper it's printed on, IMO.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

asuflyer05

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:50 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 85):
This is one of the few times I'm gonna have to agree with Superfly. FWD isn't inherently a bad thing but has a few drawbacks like understeer, torque steer. RWD is *usually* superior but it depends how it's implemented. Live (rigid) axles as found in muscle cars, trucks and (wait for it) medieval horse carriages hamper handling. Better RWD cars will have an actual independent suspension. But hey, some people will settle with going fast in a straight line.

Not quite. Let's let actual test data from Car and Driver spit the facts...

BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:

0-60 mph: 4.9
0-100 mph: 12.1
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.6
Standing ¼-mile: 13.6 @ 105 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 144 mph
BRAKING, 70–0 mph @ impending lockup: 160 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

Mustang GT 500

Quote:

Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 113 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 182 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g

Mustang GT

Quote:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 12.5 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 18.2 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.7 sec @ 104 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 164 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

Audi S5

Quote:

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 15.1 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.5 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.90 g

Mercedes E550 Coupe

Quote:

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 20.3 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 108 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g

Quoting Superfly (Reply 100):

Suzuki makes an AWD car for pretty cheap. Their commercials describe it as 'Mightier than the MINI.'

Superfly

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:49 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 110):
Suzuki makes an AWD car for pretty cheap. Their commercials describe it as 'Mightier than the MINI.'

WTF?
I just noticed, Suzuki stole a name from AMC.
The SX4 was a 4-wheel drive hatchback pony car that went up against the Mustang and Camero. The only 4-wheel drive muscle car ever build.  Smile

Sorry but the Suzuki SX4 looks like a cheap, wannabe Volkswagen Rabbit.
Bring back the Concorde

A342

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:59 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 109):
And here's some more, if you don't find them "trustworthy" enough:

Both are crap.

From Motortrend: "Engine drives all four wheels (with a fixed 30/70 front/rear torque split)"

From Edmunds: "...that has a fixed torque split of 30 percent to the front wheels and 70 percent to the rear."

Haldex is NOT a fixed-ratio system, it is variable. That's why it has a viscous coupling.

Quoting MrChips (Reply 109):
And I still stand by what I say about Auto Motor und Sport - any magazine that is so poorly researched as to say that the Veyron defaults to a front-driver isn't worth the paper it's printed on, IMO.

Apart from this sole fact, are there any other things you can fault them for?

I just think we'll have to agree to disagree.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Fly2HMO

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 108):

A bit off topic but I hope Cadillac does away with front-drive cars all together. It's a shame that their senior most model (DTS) is on a front-drive platform. It's around 300HP too.

Ya really, FWD doesn't fit the character of a Caddy at all.

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 110):
Let's let actual test data from Car and Driver spit the facts...

Don't see what you're getting at there. You just can't compare 1/4 mile times and skidpad G figures as a way to qualify handling. The skid pad turns are in a fixed steady state, you're not really working the suspension as in say, windy S-turns. If you were to throw the 'stangs vs the German cars around the Nurbugring the German cars will most likely have the advantage in the turns.

And yes I know a Corvette broke a record in the 'ring, but as with most muscle cars what it lacks in handling it makes up for in power.

Superfly

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:39 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 113):
Ya really, FWD doesn't fit the character of a Caddy at all.

True.
The only exception would be the 1967-1978 Eldorado. (shared with the 1966-1978 Oldsmobile Toronado).
Those were the only posi-track front-wheel drive cars that I know of and they had a true flat floor throughout the entire cabin.
1979 onward, they've just been run-of-the mill front-drive set ups. However, 1979-1985 were body-on-frame front-drive.
Bring back the Concorde

JJJ

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 107):
IMO anything over 250hp in the front wheels is way too much.

I'd rather put the limit in the low 200hp end unless we're talking subcompacts.

Continental

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:45 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 73):

If you like appliances with wheels on them.

Pfft, whatever. More like if you like cars that will last you a very long time.

Fly2HMO

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:13 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 116):
More like if you like cars that will last you a very long time.

The engines, IF anything. All my friends that had your older (90's), typical college guy/girl asian-made car had all the interiors with roof ceilings falling off, rattles left and right, torn seats, horrible steering/suspension/brake problems etc... Yet none of them were particualarly messy or abusive of their cars. when I'd ask them why they drive those POSs, they'd always come up with "but the engine runs great!"  banghead 

I've never bought into the hype of Asian cars being "better built" and " more reliable". It's BS from my experience.

The 91 VW Passat wagon we used to have lasted 15 years in the family and not one thing was wrong with the interior, and it's not like we babied it either, it was bought when my little brother was a (messy) toddler and we used it to carry tons of stuff in the back. Yet nothing was falling apart, torn or missing, if anything it had maybe one or two minor rattles. The interior was mint condition.

Continental

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 117):
The engines, IF anything. All my friends that had your older (90's), typical college guy/girl asian-made car had all the interiors with roof ceilings falling off, rattles left and right, torn seats, horrible steering/suspension/brake problems etc... Yet none of them were particualarly messy or abusive of their cars. when I'd ask them why they drive those POSs, they'd always come up with "but the engine runs great!" banghead

Can you really attribute that to a poor quality car? Perhaps someone had bad brake problems because they didn't check their brakes or they brake too hard. Torn seats? To me, I think the engine longevity is the greatest indicator of quality and reliability.

How would you explain my former 92 Nissan, which had nearly 300k miles with very few problems? The problem here is, of course, small sample size. I rely on the reports of consumers and car experts.

Fly2HMO

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 118):

Can you really attribute that to a poor quality car?

Taking this into account:

none of them were particualarly messy or abusive of their cars.

Yes.

When I look for quality I want it in every corner of the car, not just the engine. Defeats the purpose otherwise.

Continental

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:49 am

Well then that's somewhat hard to believe. I bet there are tons of people everyday who claim to treat their cars well yet kill their engines because they don't change the oil.

lewis

Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:18 pm

I've never bought into the hype of Asian cars being "better built" and " more reliable". It's BS from my experience.

I think so too. The have good engines and reliability in terms of not quitting in the middle of the road for no reason. Other than that, their quality is not good.

I test drove many small cars before deciding to go for a small French car. Yes, they have shitty electronics and maybe they are not as reliable mechanically (no problems for me so far, my mum's Toyota has been worse), BUT, when you see the interior, all fittings are of high quality, the plastics fit exactly where they should, the transition between wall and ceiling tapestry is of very high quality and nothing squeaks around the cabin. All the Japanese cars I drove (Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Honda Jazz) were auful in that respect, you could see that the parts inside would not fit exactly as they should, malaligned plastic covers everywhere, cheap buttons etc... and I'm talking about new cars in a dealership.

Fly2HMO

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 120):
Well then that's somewhat hard to believe. I bet there are tons of people everyday who claim to treat their cars well yet kill their engines because they don't change the oil.

You're missing my point. These weren't claims made by my friends, I WAS IN THEIR CARS, and I even drove several as a DD. They all had the major Asian ones, Corollas, Camrys, Civics, Sonatas. And like I said, sure, the engine was fine and taken care of, but the rest of the car was crap.

Quoting Lewis (Reply 121):
BUT, when you see the interior, all fittings are of high quality, the plastics fit exactly where they should, the transition between wall and ceiling tapestry is of very high quality and nothing squeaks around the cabin

checkmark  I find that's true for most European cars.

Quoting Lewis (Reply 121):
and I'm talking about new cars in a dealership.

I have a friend with a brand new Civic Si. What a disappointment. You shut the door and it sounds like cheap tin foil. The seats had this weird wobble to them (as if they're not bolted down  scared  ) and the rear wing would flutter and vibrate at any speed over 50mph. Not to mention it's a "sports car" that can't handle worth crap and is slow as hell (yes I drove it myself) . It's pathetic.

lewis

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 122):
You shut the door and it sounds like cheap tin foil.

It is the thing I always notice in many Japanese cars. Sales people from other dealerships also use it as a sign of quality or "perceived quality" if you prefer to call it that.

Continental

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:32 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 122):
You're missing my point.

No, you're missing my point. I still feel it is likely that they weren't treating their cars as good as they said. If that's somehow not the case, well then you somehow wound up in an unrepresentative sample of Asian cars.

I've been in many Asian cars and have found few to have interior issues (perhaps I've also stumbled across an unrepresentative sample of cars!). You really need to go in there and @#%! something up yourself if you want torn seats and ceilings.

Take a look at the worst and best car ratings available (ah, a much better sample size). You see that Asian cars consistently rank near and at the top, while American cars consistently rank near and at the bottom. And surprise surprise, even Asian cars have been ranked to have some of the best comfort.

Now, if you are comparing Asian cars to German-built automobiles, well, then that's a different story!  Wink

na

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Quoting F.pier (Thread starter):
An Alfa MiTo 1.4 Multiair 135HP

Agreed. Thats currently the hottest small car. I dont like its headlamps too much (to much Baby look aiming at women), but the rest is classy, and the Interieur design head and shoulders above every other small car including the expensive and increasingly boring (because too common) Mini.

Another small car that I really like is the Fiat 500C, with red hood and interior please.

But you were talking about "affordable" cars, which, for everyone, means something different.

Fly2HMO

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 124):
If that's somehow not the case, well then you somehow wound up in an unrepresentative sample of Asian cars.

Unrepresentative? The cars I mentioned are THE most common ones out there. Everybody and their mom, grandma and dog has a Civic, Corolla, Camry, Sonata etc.

Quoting Continental (Reply 124):
Now, if you are comparing Asian cars to German-built automobiles, well, then that's a different story!

At least we agree on something. Big grin

Quoting NA (Reply 125):
But you were talking about "affordable" cars, which, for everyone, means something different.

I want this affordable super car Big grin

http://intokj.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/atom_500_v8.jpg

Cheaper than all big brand super cars and better power to weight ratio than a Bugatti!  hyper 

SPEEDBIRD174

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:06 pm

The new VW Polo!!

I test drove the SE(entry level) model last week and it was fantastic, the 1.2 engine is really impressive with only 60bhp but 112 lbs of torque, it pulls well!
Certainly getting mine next year when they'll be marginaly cheaper!  highfive 

Speedbird174

na

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 126):

I want this affordable super car 

I saw this one on Topgear. The driver was looking like a jetfighter pilot when going around a bend. Totally distorted face. Jeez...

Fly2HMO

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 128):
The driver was looking like a jetfighter pilot when going around a bend. Totally distorted face. Jeez...

Good ole Jeremy Clarkson  Silly

2H4

Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 113):
You just can't compare 1/4 mile times and skidpad G figures as a way to qualify handling. The skid pad turns are in a fixed steady state, you're not really working the suspension as in say, windy S-turns. If you were to throw the 'stangs vs the German cars around the Nurbugring the German cars will most likely have the advantage in the turns.

I agree. The problem with basing car comparisons on test data is that it doesn't tell the whole story.

A car may produce incredible skidpad and lane-change numbers, but what does it matter if the controls are unpredictable, the handling is nervous and twitchy, you're fighting it the entire time, and you're constantly on the verge of losing control?

I'd rather have a car that performs, say, 10-15% worse but has nicely balanced, progressive controls that offer tons of feedback and a provides a healthy margin of error.

These qualities are not easily quantifiable.

Neither are real-world handling capabilities. Sure, a car may produce scorching performance on perfect pavement (and as FLY2HMO mentioned, in steady-state conditions), but what if you live in an area with potholes, patched sections, and uneven surfaces? Compared with a thoroughly engineered car, it's probably going to underperform and be miserable to deal with.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Continental

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 am

Unrepresentative? The cars I mentioned are THE most common ones out there. Everybody and their mom, grandma and dog has a Civic, Corolla, Camry, Sonata etc.

I was actually referring to THE exact cars that you were in, not just the general name of the car.

At least we agree on something. Big grin

Yay!  cheerful 

stasisLAX

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 am

Quoting Melpax (Reply 51):
A Falcon XR6 turbo would do just nicely though......

Gorgeous! One of my favorites vehicles anywhere in the world!  Cool
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Ken777

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:54 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 108):
A bit off topic but I hope Cadillac does away with front-drive cars all together. It's a shame that their senior most model (DTS) is on a front-drive platform.

Actually the DeVille's FWD is the only reason we bought a 2002. We had rented one for a 11 hour road trip that turned into an ice storm, leaving a lot of cars & trucks & SUVs on the side of the road. Saw a Jeep go down an embankment backwards. The wife was driving 15 to 20 MPB behind a semi and said later that she wouldn't have made it in any other car.

At the time we were close to buying a Toyota, but found a 23K program DeVille on the trip for the same price as the Toyota. Been happy with it ever since.

Now the wife won't go for any car that is not FWD. At our age we're past the performance car age (especially since the first car in our marriage was a new 68 BMW 2002) and will go for comfort, FWD and (hopefully) affordability.

tommy767

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 am

I was actually getting new car keys for my 04 mailbu in LA and the saab dealership next door was advertising $10,000 off any sticker MSRP for 09-10 saabs.

I was thinking...I could get a brand new 9-3 for 32,000 - 10,000 = $22,000 which is a STEAL. I have a job but I can't afford to buy or lease a new car. besides my malibu gets good gas mileage anyway.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

EddieDude

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 4):
I guess he lives in Mexico. But I'm still surprised that he can get an Ibiza there.

Why's that? VW has been selling SEATs in Mexico for many years. And Ibizas are quite popular cars here.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 31):
r I might just decide that there's no need to downsize and buy the new Falcon

It is a pity North America does not get the Aussie Falcon. Nice car. GM btw tried to sell the Holden Commodore as the Pontiac G8, but it was pricey.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 81):
The new Citroen DS3, a new take on the beatiful Citroen DS of old.

It is still a concept car, isn't it?

For me, I can't wait for the new Mini-based BMW 0-Series: http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/10/07/ru...eries-based-on-next-mini-platform/
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 135):
Why's that? VW has been selling SEATs in Mexico for many years. And Ibizas are quite popular cars here.

Pure ignorance on my side, I guess...

GM btw tried to sell the Holden Commodore as the Pontiac G8, but it was pricey.

If you think about it, it wasn't so bad. The base V6 was going for $ 32 K here, while the GT was starting around $ 38k. Not exactly cheap, however it meant lot of bang for a buck. Too bad it's gone  banghead 
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

EddieDude

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 136):
Not exactly cheap, however it meant lot of bang for a buck. Too bad it's gone

In complete agreement with you.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 136):
Pure ignorance on my side, I guess...

Nah, no worries. Mexico went from being a 5-brands of cars country back in 1990 (GM, Chrysler, Ford, VW and Nissan) to one of the most diversified car markets in the world. We have Hyundais badged as Dodges, Daewoos badged as Pontiacs, SEATs, Peugeots, Alfas, Maseratis, Ferraris, Saabs, Hummers, Opels badged as Chevrolets, etc. etc. Even some Chinese Faws!

I am impressed how fast the market has changed during the past two decades, particularly during the 90s. The only more or less mainstream brands that we are missing are Citroën, Lancia, Skoda, Daihatsu (although we have one or two badged as Toyotas). We get the Euro-Focus as opposed to the U.S.-Focus, but we have not gotten yet the current-gen Mondeo. Now that GM has decided it will keep Opel, I am sure we will get the new generation Astra and Insignia.
Upcoming flights:

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 137):
Mexico went from being a 5-brands of cars country back in 1990 (GM, Chrysler, Ford, VW and Nissan) to one of the most diversified car markets in the world.

Well, Canada certainly still is a 5 brand country...and you can't even bring in a car you want yourself  banghead 
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

lewis

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:49 am

It is still a concept car, isn't it?

Don't think so. It looks as it is a "coming soon" model on the citroen website.

Marcus

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:46 am

I was recently in Australia and had a Falcon as rental for a couple of days.....aside from some plasticky interior pieces and a very cheap sound when the door closes, the car was ready to be sold in the US....powerfull engine, comfortable, nice and not overdone styling, etc etc

As for the Commodore...I did not drive one but the exterior was very very nice indeed.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

CXB77L

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:51 am

It is a pity North America does not get the Aussie Falcon.

It is a pity, but for reasons beyond my comprehension, Ford Australia decided that instead of spending money converting the Falcon to LHD, they were better off spending money to build the Focus here.

What's worse (as far as I'm concerned) the much-loved 4.0 litre straight six (especially in turbo guise) will make way for a smaller capacity V6, and there's talks of a four-cylinder Falcon as well. Rumour has it also that this current generation will be the last rear-wheel-drive Falcon  Sad What's next, a Camry badged as a Falcon? Not sure how popular that will be ...

Quoting Marcus (Reply 140):
I was recently in Australia and had a Falcon as rental for a couple of days.....aside from some plasticky interior pieces and a very cheap sound when the door closes, the car was ready to be sold in the US....powerfull engine, comfortable, nice and not overdone styling, etc etc

Agreed, that is one of the main criticisms of the Falcon, but for AU$35000, you're getting a big car, lots of space, and pretty good standard safety equipment, plus it handles well. Granted it isn't known for top quality build (though it's improving generation by generation), it's a lot of size, comfort and power for the price.
Boeing 777 fanboy

EddieDude

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 141):
What's worse (as far as I'm concerned) the much-loved 4.0 litre straight six (especially in turbo guise) will make way for a smaller capacity V6, and there's talks of a four-cylinder Falcon as well. Rumour has it also that this current generation will be the last rear-wheel-drive Falcon What's next, a Camry badged as a Falcon? Not sure how popular that will be ...

Ford has been developing a new line of gasoline engines that can compete with higher-displacement and more-cylinder engines. They call those the EcoBoost. For example, the new Lincoln MKS has a 3.5 liter V-6 EcoBoost. It is twin-turbocharged and direct injection. The new Taurus is getting this engine too. The next-gen Ford Fusion will get a variant as well. I wonder if this is the engine that the Falcon will receive too, but it does not sound too bad to me. As for switching from RWD to FWD, I guess Ford may be thinking about using the Taurus platform, which is derived from the Volvo S80 and Lincoln MKS platform. That might be good in terms of costs, but I hear what you say about dropping RWD chassis. I drove FWD cars only from 1994 to 2007, and then in 2007 I bought my first RWD car, and it is a much better driving experience!
Upcoming flights:

CXB77L

Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:53 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 142):
The next-gen Ford Fusion will get a variant as well. I wonder if this is the engine that the Falcon will receive too, but it does not sound too bad to me.

Yes, while I have little doubt that the new engine will beat the current straight six for power, I doubt very much it'll even match, let alone beat the current (naturally aspirated, not to mention turbocharged) engine's torque figures. What the current straight six is great for is its low end torque - maximum torque on the naturally aspirated version comes at only 3250rpm, while for the turbo, it develops maximum torque all the way from 2000rpm to 4750rpm. Holden's V6 engines develop less maximum torque at a higher rpm than Ford's straight six.

Considering the fact that a lot of people use Falcons to tow large caravans and/or boats, the lack of torque and the lack of rear wheel drive will hurt Falcon in the long run.
Boeing 777 fanboy

richm

Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:06 am

BMW 320d

na

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Quoting RichM (Reply 144):
BMW 320d

The German village bank clerks and Turkish boys dream? Pleeeez not in silver with black interior, thats one of the most boring cars in Germany.
If it must be the 3series, let me tell you the Coupé is so much nicer. The 4door is too fat looking and has, like almost all BMWs, an ugly rear end.

eirbus06

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:07 am

I am hoping for a pot of gold here in the emerald isle because i just have to have the new 2010 VW golf R20  drool 

Big version: Width: 900 Height: 600 File size: 125kb

aero145

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:46 am

Eirbus, that car doesn’t exist. You may want the new Golf R.  Wink

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/09/2010-VW-Golf-R-TOP.jpg

This car is, by no means, affordable!

JJJ

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:14 am

Quoting Marcus (Reply 140):
.....aside from some plasticky interior pieces and a very cheap sound when the door closes, the car was ready to be sold in the US

Plasticky interiors and cheap sounds defines perfectly the US motor industry Big grin

Acey

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:53 am

I'd buy a new 260 hp Cobalt SS and absolutely destroy a V6 Mustang in every regard, as well as the BMW 335i around a track. To each their own I guess.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.