rootsair
Topic Author

Anti WTO Demonstration Goes Wrong In Geneva

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:36 pm

Yesterday, november 28th, I took part in the Anti WTO demonstration in Geneva to take some shots.
The demonstration didn't go halfway that some vandals started to beak everything on their way. Shop/bank/hotel windows and cars.

Here is a news article :http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/11/28/switzerland.wto.violence/

I have decided to share with you some shots that I took yesterday as well as a video

1) Video :Burning cars and firemen who intervene (flimed with canon 7D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQUAKHIhKk

2) Beginning of the demonstration:
http://www.redoutenyon.com/images/car4.jpg

3)Cars burning
http://www.redoutenyon.com/images/car5.jpg

4) Car explosion
http://www.redoutenyon.com/images/car1.jpg

5) Car explosion
http://www.redoutenyon.com/images/car2.jpg

6)Firemen in action
http://www.redoutenyon.com/images/car6.jpg

Too bad these demonstrations get tarnished and take out all dcredit to anti globalization movements

Regards

BM     

[Edited 2009-11-29 04:39:18]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Aaron747

RE: Anti WTO Demonstration Goes Wrong In Geneva

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Too bad these demonstrations get tarnished and take out all dcredit to anti globalization movements

These pathetic vandals come out of the woodwork every time. They are professional globetrotting criminals at this point since the results are the same in every city they visit. I'd like to see how they react to their own property being smashed and set on fire..we'll see how long they claim to be anti-consumerist/materialist/what have you.  Yeah sure
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ltbewr

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:18 pm

The sad part of such protests is that it leads to greater limits on legal and peaceful protests, with protesters facing massive police/military prescence, to be further away from those that need to hear and see them.

ManuCH

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:39 pm

Braulio,
thank you for your first-line reporting. It's really too bad that these demonstrations go wrong way too often...

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Dreadnought

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:14 pm

These a&&holes were about to burn my car WITH ME IN IT back in 1998 on the Pont du Mont Blanc. They were sure that me and my collegues were American WTO delegates because we were driving a Tahoe just when they took over the bridge. The trashed a Mercedes right next to us. I managed to convince them that I was Swiss, and threatened to drive over the two girls lying in front of the car and anyone else if I saw so much as a lighter near the car.

I spent half an hour talking with these protesters. They have no idea what they are protesting. They are a bunch of people who think that the state should provide them a living and don't think that private property should be allowed. A lot of them are squatters and actually enjoy that life, they say. They are all morons.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

rootsair
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 3):
Braulio,
thank you for your first-line reporting. It's really too bad that these demonstrations go wrong way too often...

Welcome! I'll put all pics up on flickr after I get time to process al the raw files. I'll give you the link if you wish so,
Take care

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 2):
The sad part of such protests is that it leads to greater limits on legal and peaceful protests, with protesters facing massive police/military prescence, to be further away from those that need to hear and see them.

Exactly what I feel. Not to talk about the stressful policemen who would push us beck violently not to go any further with our cameras!
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Aaron747

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 5):
Not to talk about the stressful policemen who would push us beck violently not to go any further with our cameras!

What...they should be serving pie and making nice talk when people are out burning cars?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Cadet57

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Thats the way to have people take you seriously. Flippin idiots.  sarcastic 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

aviationmaster

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:44 pm

What pisses me off with these demonstrators is that they destroy properties with no valuable reason and provoke the authorities. Then once they've gotten their their asses handed to them by the police, they pull the "police brutatlity" card and even have success at it due to our lenient laws.

rootsair
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 6):
What...they should be serving pie and making nice talk when people are out burning cars?

You decidely don't have any perception of a balance between being laxist and being violently repressive with photographers who clearly haven't done anything bad

Pyrex

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Yes, because a group of people who organize themselves over the Internet in computers made in Taiwan and decide to fly into Switzerland from all over the world in aircraft made in the U.S. and France, fueled by oil from Saudi Arabia, have all the credibility in the world. It is only when you start burning cars made in Germany that things start to get hypocritical.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):
and threatened to drive over the two girls lying in front of the car and anyone else if I saw so much as a lighter near the car.

Too bad you didn't.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Illini_152

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 9):
You decidely don't have any perception of a balance between being laxist and being violently repressive with photographers who clearly haven't done anything bad

You apparently have no perception of what its like being the sole defender of civil society, outnumbered 10:1and surrounded by a violent mob. The riot police don't have the time, energy or patience to delineate between rioter and non-rioter. If you're intermingled with the mob, you will be treated like the mob. Deal with it, and be happy you weren't in Chicago in '68.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

rootsair
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Quoting Illini_152 (Reply 11):
You apparently have no perception of what its like being the sole defender of civil society, outnumbered 10:1and surrounded by a violent mob. The riot police don't have the time, energy or patience to delineate between rioter and non-rioter. If you're intermingled with the mob, you will be treated like the mob. Deal with it, and be happy you weren't in Chicago in '68.

Sorry this time there were no violent people close to those policemen . The vioplent mob was actually a couple hundred of meters ahead. Finally these two other cops let us through. I know you are trying to defend them but trust me. I have collaborated with the police with my photographs so I am by no means against the cops, let that be clear!
Its only that some could avoid pushing us like if we were one of those vandals.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 10):

Yes, because a group of people who organize themselves over the Internet in computers made in Taiwan and decide to fly into Switzerland from all over the world in aircraft made in the U.S. and France, fueled by oil from Saudi Arabia, have all the credibility in the world. It is only when you start burning cars made in Germany that things start to get hypocritical.

True ! There are many contradictions to anti globalization movements I agree. That's why I was in the protest for the sole purpose of doing photography as I am convinced that someone who wants to be 0% globalized has to live in the middle of the mountains as a hermit!

Regards  airplane  wave