Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

Favorite Languages You Don't Speak

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:56 am

There are languages I don't speak, but I love them

German: It's wonderful. Sounds like someone is having trouble getting the phlegm out of his throat and battling horrible constipation at the same time. Add to that an absurd grammatical system and reallylongrunonwordsthatgoforever and it's my favorite language I don't speak of all time!

French: A romance language... except completely unintelligible to speakers of any other romance language (I speak Spanish). But it's so smooth and musical that it becomes absurdly hilarious when it's used violently. French rap music is funny because you really can't sound tough in French. And for swearing, it's like the quote from the Matrix about the use of French for cursing: "It's like wiping your ass with silk."

Brazilian Portuguese: Love it! It's like music to my ears! Sing-songy, musical, expressive... and I can't understand a word. Yet Portuguese Portuguese I understand perfectly.

Russian: OMG, what a bad-ass sounding language! When I was in college, we used a Russian science ship on an expiditon to collect samples in Antarctica. I was allowed on the bridge and it was like "Hunt for Red October." Between a completely indecipherable (but completely phonetic) alphabet, a grammatical system that makes no sense even to native speakers, and a collection of phonemes that are found nowhere else, it's one of my favorites.

Tagalog: A mound of completely foreign syllables... until suddenly a few words of perfectly intelligible Spanish pop out. One of those languages that just makes me want to piss my pants laughing.

Hindi/Punjabi/Urdu: Make me want to piss my pants laughing. They sound really comical to Western ears.

Swedish: Musical, expressive, graceful...and completely unpronounceable to anyone but a native. Gotta love it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

LH459

RE: Favorite Languages You Don't Speak

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 am

You hit most of my favorites on your list!

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
Brazilian Portuguese

checkmark  I understand it a little, because one of my college roommates was Brazilian. Peninsular Portuguese is a bit easier, but I still don't understand as much as I would like. I have no problems understanding written Portuguese, though.

Russian: OMG, what a bad-ass sounding language!

checkmark  I love slavic languages!

Hindi/Punjabi/Urdu

checkmark  I don't find them comical, but love the way they sound! I especially love how English words just randomly appear.

My additions:

Czech: I speak a little, but would love to know more. It's a very difficult language to learn, and is spoken with a cadence that can sound grumpy, for want of a better term, even in normal conversation.

Hungarian: My favorite non Indo-European language! You think German has long words and vowel clusters, just check out Hungarian! I can't tell where one word ends and the next begins!
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

LTU932

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:17 am

German: It's wonderful. Sounds like someone is having trouble getting the phlegm out of his throat and battling horrible constipation at the same time. Add to that an absurd grammatical system and reallylongrunonwordsthatgoforever and it's my favorite language I don't speak of all time!

Don't forget the capitalisation. German is probably the language with the most specific capitalisation rules on the planet.  Wink

In my case, I'll add French (I can speak it, but not enough), Russian, Dutch, Plattdeutsch and Italian into the list.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ArmitageShanks

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 am

Dutch, Swedish, and German in that order.

andaman

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 am

*There are languages I don't speak, but I love them*

Spanish:
Want to know more than 'Mio corazón Finlandés es muy frágil'...my bar opener  Wink

Russia:
Sounds soft & sexy and would be useful in Finland these days...

Thai:
The language of my favorite winter holiday destination, probably impossible for me to learn more than a few words but I keep on trying...

Swedish: ...completely unpronounceable to anyone but a native.

Yes you can learn to pronounce it, even I did... we have to study Swedish at school in Finland and it's totally different from Finnish.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

IHadAPheo

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:34 am

Esperanto... IHAP stirs and puts his Incubus DVD (Shatner 1965/66 version!) and marvels at the calming tones of Shatner in Esperanto. I have an old man's fuzzy memory of learning a bit of Esperanto back when I was but a young fool

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

YYZflyer

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

Finnish - I just love Finnish, it sounds really nice to my ears even though I have no idea what the hell they are saying. I would like to learn it but I know the chances of that are like 0.0000000000000000000000000001%.  sigh  I've looked into what the language is like....I have never seen one so complicated. Anyone learn Finnish as a second language? I'd be quite envious.

Others are Norwegian, Swedish, German, Russian.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

dc9northwest

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:34 am

Swedish: Musical, expressive, graceful...and completely unpronounceable to anyone but a native. Gotta love it.

Swedish pronunciation is probably easiest of all the Nordic languages I've heard. It's somewhat more logical than Norwegian or Faroese.

But yeah, I really like Portuguese, Castellano, Catalan, Dutch, Norwegian.

Russian is very interesting too, but less nice than the others IMO.

Gotta mention Greek as well.

tz757300

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am

I've always wanted to learn:

Russian, Greek, Afrikaans, French, and Chinese.

All are just so interesting and 3 of them are important world languages.

757MDE

Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:58 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 4):
Spanish:
Want to know more than 'Mio corazón Finlandés es muy frágil'...my bar opener

HAHAHAH! nice one...
(by the way, remove the "o" from "mio" for a grammar-perfect sentence)

As for me,

Japanese, German, Dutch and Russian in no particular order.
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

JAGflyer

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 am

Tamil - itsareallyfastspokenlanguageandhalf the time youdontknowwhensomeoneisstartingandending a sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrQZsciOlyc

Listen to that and you'll know what I mean.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Aeroflot001

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 am

Brazilian Portuguese: Love it! It's like music to my ears! Sing-songy, musical, expressive... and I can't understand a word. Yet Portuguese Portuguese I understand perfectly.

Do you speak an American Spanish or "Spainish"  Silly as I speak Argentine?Puerto Rican spanish and Brazilian Portugese is much easier for me than Portugese Portugese?

Russian: OMG, what a bad-ass sounding language! When I was in college, we used a Russian science ship on an expiditon to collect samples in Antarctica. I was allowed on the bridge and it was like "Hunt for Red October." Between a completely indecipherable (but completely phonetic) alphabet, a grammatical system that makes no sense even to native speakers, and a collection of phonemes that are found nowhere else, it's one of my favorites.

Love it with a big peice of my heart. Taking it in high school with a teacher however which is not so good at teaching as he actually hasnt been back to the "Motherland" since the days of the CCCP and is a cuban who studied there and not a native. Hopefully I can build a base and keep going in college. The only part I dont like about Russian is all the conjugations which can be very confusing.

Quoting Andaman (Reply 4):
Spanish:
Want to know more than 'Mio corazón Finlandés es muy frágil'...my bar opener

Take a nice trip to South America. Youll be speaking in no time.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 10):
Tamil - itsareallyfastspokenlanguageandhalf the time youdontknowwhensomeoneisstartingandending a sentence.

Holy crap thats insane!

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
Don't forget the capitalisation. German is probably the language with the most specific capitalisation rules on the planet.

Silly Yeah ive noticied that in german articles. I am now friends with an Austrian Foreign Exchange students whose got that really German feel although Ive never heard the guy actually speak Deutsch.

andz

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:47 am

I have always liked the idea of learning Japanese, although the dual challenge of speaking and reading might be too much.

Finnish would be very useful for my job.

Zulu or another of the African languages here so that I can understand when people are talking about me!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

flybaurlax

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:20 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):
Dutch

Dutch is the funniest language to me. I speak German pretty well, but when I flew to AMS and the FA started speaking in Dutch, I just couldn't stop laughing. Sure, it's similar to German, but it's also different enough to know that it's not German. The way they talk is just hilarious, and I love how things are spelled. I always think they're spelled incorrectly to compared to German. I'd love to learn it more. I can understand some of it, but I get lost if someone is talking to me, especially fast.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

fridgmus

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 am

You hit it right on with German Doc. My Dad is a German Immigrant and he spoke it at home, but I just didn't pick it up. I do love the way it sounds.

Italian, oh what a beautiful language! When I was a young Para, I was stationed in Vicenza, up in the north. I loved to hear it spoken. I picked up some, but not enough as far I'm concerned. And it is most beautiful when sung.

Hebrew, yes, I said Hebrew. I was on Peacekeeping duty in the Sinai and we spent all of our free time in Israel. Some of us were "adopted" by families who lived on a Kibbutz and we got to experience Israeli Kibbutz life. It was fantastic and I just loved those folk songs sung in Hebrew.

Arabic too! A very hard language to learn. I would watch TV news casts and TV shows in Dubai. I love listening to women speak it, they have a way with their soft voices. Another language that sounds very beautiful when sung, especially by women. Men are too gutteral!

Japanese is another language that sounds great. Wouldn't want to try reading and writing it though!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

captaink

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 am

I would like to learn, German and Mandarin.

I speak Spanish, well I have been living in Mexico for a couple years, no choice. Big grin

French I have started to learn on various occasions but laziness always gets the better of me, it is a pretty nice language though, but It doesn't really interest me that much.
Look Up

bwest

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:30 am

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 14):
Hebrew, yes, I said Hebrew. I was on Peacekeeping duty in the Sinai and we spent all of our free time in Israel. Some of us were "adopted" by families who lived on a Kibbutz and we got to experience Israeli Kibbutz life. It was fantastic and I just loved those folk songs sung in Hebrew.

I like the sound of Hebrew as well... it just sounds so... old  Smile

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:33 am

Русский and العربية
(Russian and Arabic)

DiamondFlyer

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 am

I'm not really sure why, but I'd go with Welsh. I had a teacher many years ago who could speak it, and it was so much different than anything else I'd ever heard. I've always been fond of it since.

-DiamondFlyer.
From my cold, dead hands

AirPacific747

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 am

Russian, German, Dutch, Spanish, Japanese in no particular order.

Quoting Bwest (Reply 16):
I like the sound of Hebrew as well... it just sounds so... old

Me too.

Also, British with a kind of London slang is cool

LTU932

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:49 am

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 11):
Yeah ive noticied that in german articles. I am now friends with an Austrian Foreign Exchange students whose got that really German feel although Ive never heard the guy actually speak Deutsch.

Austrians speak German with an accent that resembles more the one spoken in Bavaria. This goes for all Austrians except those from the State of Vorarlberg, they are supposed to speak with a much different accent than other Austrians, probably resembling more the Swiss accent than the regular Bavarian-influenced Austrian accent.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 7):

Swedish pronunciation is probably easiest of all the Nordic languages I've heard. It's somewhat more logical than Norwegian or Faroese.

Not for me, and I'm Spanish-English bilingual.

Quoting Andz (Reply 12):
r "Spainish" Silly

I speak with an Iberian accent. ¿Vale?

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 19):

Also, British with a kind of London slang is cool

I was on the Tube and there was this young dad speaking in a strange, nordic language to his kid. Except it turned out, on closer inspection, to be English.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ManuCH

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:56 am

I'd love to speak Swedish and Danish. I love the way they sound and I feel it's somehow doable if I wanted to learn them as second languages.

I'd also like to speak Finnish, although I agree with YYZflyer:

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 6):
I would like to learn it but I know the chances of that are like 0.0000000000000000000000000001%.    I've looked into what the language is like....I have never seen one so complicated. Anyone learn Finnish as a second language? I'd be quite envious.

Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

LTU932

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:03 am

In my case, I'll add French (I can speak it, but not enough), Russian, Dutch, Plattdeutsch and Italian into the list.

And to add further, I'd like to include Japanese and Arabic to the list.

MadameConcorde

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:11 am

Malay, Hindi, Burmese, Thai, Bahasa.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:33 am

Japanese is like that. How do they fit all those syllables into such little people?  duck 
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 am

Tagalog

I love the Tagalog accent and just about any Asian accent.
Thai is another accent I love to hear but I can speak some Thai already so I guess I can't list that language in this thread.
Mandarin and Cantonese are also languages I like. English spoken with thick Chinese accent is awesome.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 24):
Thai

I agree!.

Salvadorian Spanish sounds great too.
Bring back the Concorde

Sepultallica

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 am

Latin & Russian.

Werd.
Chinokanganwa idemo; Chitsiga hachikanganwe. ✈

MadameConcorde

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 am

Latin is very good. I know some but I would like becoming a Latin scholar and be able to converse in Latin.  chat 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

san747

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 am

German

Absolutely. Though now that I think about it, the only semblance of a sentence I can speak in German (and half the words in that sentence are just made up German-sounding words!) is courtesy of Monty Python-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM

French

Took it for 3.5 years in high school and college, and I'm barely conversational in it, but I agree completely. It's a very flowing language and I find it to be very sexy if said by the right person Big grin

Russian

I'd go to Russia just to hear the language spoken. It must've been awesome being on that ship!

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 14):
Italian, oh what a beautiful language!

Agreed... I wish I had stuck through on the private lessons I was taking, if for no other reason than the instructor was incredibly cute! Big grin

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 28):
Latin is very good

I loved speaking it when I took the class in high school. Latin always seems very authoritative to me, conveying a sense of power and importance.
Scotty doesn't know...

GrahamHill

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 am

I'd like to speak Italian, Japanese, Arabic and... Catalan (I already speak Spanish, so it's not in my list  Smile)
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

AirPacific747

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
I was on the Tube and there was this young dad speaking in a strange, nordic language to his kid. Except it turned out, on closer inspection, to be English.

How did you manage to mix them together?  Silly

babybus

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Finnish - I just love Finnish, it sounds really nice to my ears even though I have no idea what the hell they are saying

Hey! I'd like to learn Finnish too. It's a real man's language.

I'm a great fan of Spanish too.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Fabo

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 pm

What a thread!  checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I am pretty surprised not to be first to list Hungarian... and to say long time ago, I used to be fluent, but then I suddenly decided not to use it altogether...

Russian would make the list, if I did not speak it already.

Another choices would be Finnish, Swedish, and definitely Arabic. Also some Latin would be nice.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

LH526

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:40 pm

NO WAY!! Portuguese in my ears is the most mangled and slurry language ever, I have many brazilian friends and love the country .... but their language .... sounds like the gay brother of spanish ..sorry  Wink

My mothers tongue .... not the warmest language out there but if treated right can produce some of the most beautiful words .. like Heimat!

French:

My all time favourite!!

Along with that I would like to learn Japanese and hebrew!

Quoting Fabo (Reply 33):
What a thread! checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

checkmark 
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

seb146

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:57 pm

I've looked into what the language is like....I have never seen one so complicated. Anyone learn Finnish as a second language?

I have started to learn by a "do-it-yourself" book and it does not seem that complicated to me. But, this would be my fourth language.

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 11):
Do you speak an American Spanish or "Spainish"

I know you were asking Doc, but I speak Mexican/Guatemalan Spanish and I can not, for the life of me, understand those from Argentina, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico or Spain. However, I can pick up on the basics of what people are saying in Italian, but not Portugese.

As for my favorite languagese: I would love to learn Armenian and Hindi becuase I think the scripts are very beautiful. In the first pages of the Gideon Bibles placed in American hotel rooms, they show John 3:16 as it is printed in various languages. Based on that, Tamil and Thai also look beautiful when written.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Curtisman

Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 pm

I want to learn Latin. It is the base of french, italian, spanish etc. I can pick up a few latin words but I would like to understand it in depth. I feel it would help me to understand other languages better.
Citizen of the World

jcs17

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Swedish/Danish/Norwegian are considered some of the easiest second languages to learn in the world, believe it or not. Norwegian, although somewhat different than Swedish, does have the same sing-songy qualities. I took three Norwegian classes in college and once you start listening to the language on DVDs, CD-ROMs and stuff it's easy to pick up pronunciations and the musical qualities of the language. If you want an easy language to learn, just pick up the Swedish Rosetta Stone program.

I've looked into what the language is like....I have never seen one so complicated. Anyone learn Finnish as a second language? I'd be quite envious.

I know a guy who spent years in Helsinki on a Nokia contract, went to language lessons every week at a university, and still spoke it at an elementary level when he left. He could decipher some of the newspaper and that was about it, in his words. Just stick to English in Finland (aside from greetings maybe) and you'll be fine.  Wink

I don't want to learn any new languages for the time being. I'd just like to have the time to get my Spanish, French, and Norwegian up to fluent levels.

[Edited 2009-12-04 09:46:33]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aznmadsci

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Tagalog: A mound of completely foreign syllables... until suddenly a few words of perfectly intelligible Spanish pop out. One of those languages that just makes me want to piss my pants laughing.

I'm curious why it would make you want to piss in your pants laughing? Is it the "Psst, Hoy!" Though what is a bit funny is watching Filipinos teach their "puti" (white) partners to speak it.

The one language I would love to speak is Greek. I love to try reading it, like a 4 or 5 yr old learning how to read. Plus I like that raspy voice that to me seems common along the Mediterranean that I can detect in Italian and Castillian Spanish.

And then there's Castillian Spanish ...  cloudnine  I'm sorry wrong thread!  Wink
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

fatmirjusufi

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Finnish - I just love Finnish

For me it sounds like Europeanized Japanese. Big grin It's considered one of the mos hardest language to learn!

Swedish

This summer started learning it but then I gave up!  Sad

My top 5
Faroese
Swiss German
Gaelic
Farsi
Swedish

Chances to learn even one of these languages in short terms: 0%!

Fatmir

NIKV69

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:03 pm

All Asian languages, I think they are so interesting!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

flyboy_se

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Well i cant say Serbian, as i speak it  Smile)))
I love all languages, but my personal favourites are Greek, Icelandic, Dutch, Portuguese, and Argentinian spanish.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 38):

I'm curious why it would make you want to piss in your pants laughing? Is it the "Psst, Hoy!" Though what is a bit funny is watching Filipinos teach their "puti" (white) partners to speak it.

Because, at least to my western ears, it sounds really comical, much like the Indian languages. The combination of syllables they use is just really funny to me. Especially when they start with the "Fliplish" (not my word: I was taught it by a Filipino friend) where you're not quite sure where the Tagalog ends and the English begins.

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 38):

And then there's Castillian Spanish ...

More correct would be Spanish Castilian. Castilian is, according to the Constitution of Spain, the official Spanish language of the state. All Spaniards have the duty to know it and the right to use it. Castilian is also the language of Mexico, Argentina, Cuba, and any other country that speaks "Spanish." According to the Royal Spanish Academy, there is no such language as "Spanish." Other Spanish languages, such as Catalán, Basque, Galician, and Aragonese are also Spanish languages and are co-official in their respective autonomous communities. But the language commonly known as "Spanish" is actually Castilian, no matter where you are.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

directorguy

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:23 pm

My favourite languages I'd like to speak (better):

1) Turkish. Similar to Arabic, which I'm fluent in. Turkey as a country/culture has always fascinated me, and I'd like to know it more.
2) Hebrew. Also similar to Arabic. I love how weird it sounds-loads of 'ch' sounds.
3) Hindi. I almost came close to being conversational, but I stopped. I just adore Indian culture, and even now when I switch on/go to an Indian (Bollywood) movie, I fall back in. One of the reasons I love Hindi is that I can make out every single word I hear-even if I don't understand it. My grasp of French and Arabic is far better, but I can't follow a fast conversation or movie nearly as well in those two.

Given the option, I'd definately take a course in those three. WIthout hesitating.

aznmadsci

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
The combination of syllables they use is just really funny to me. Especially when they start with the "Fliplish" (not my word: I was taught it by a Filipino friend) where you're not quite sure where the Tagalog ends and the English begins.

Tagalog is definitely a tongue twister, and then you've got to add extra syllables to words depending on tense that in the end, it's a lot easier to say things in English. I guess "Flipish" is the Americanized word, while my cousins in the Philippines call it "Taglish".

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
More correct would be Spanish Castilian.

Vale! Gracias!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

andaman

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 9):
HAHAHAH! nice one...
(by the way, remove the "o" from "mio" for a grammar-perfect sentence)

Thanks for the correction! Luckily the verrry frontal Finnish r helps to pronounce Spanish I think.

Finnish - I just love Finnish ...... I've looked into what the language is like....I have never seen one so complicated.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 37):
I know a guy who spent years in Helsinki on a Nokia contract, went to language lessons every week at a university, and still spoke it at an elementary level when he left. He could decipher some of the newspaper and that was about it, in his words. Just stick to English in Finland (aside from greetings maybe) and you'll be fine.

Yes it seems Finnish language can be a hard cookie for foreigners, especially if your mother tongue belongs to the Indo-European language family, like almost all the European languages do - except Finnish and a few other small languages. I have an Irish friend living in Helsinki who struggles with the Finnish grammar with 15 cases... he's happy he survives with English, generally foreigners living in Finland are not even expected to learn Finnish that fast.

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 39):
For me it sounds like Europeanized Japanese. Big grin It's considered one of the mos hardest language to learn!

Thats true, some Japanese words really sounds kind of Finnish... and some Finnish first names sounds Japanese: Aki, Kai, Mika, Kari... Wink

Quoting Bwest (Reply 16):
I like the sound of Hebrew as well..

Same here!
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Kiwirob

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 37):
Swedish/Danish/Norwegian are considered some of the easiest second languages to learn in the world, believe it or not. Norwegian, although somewhat different than Swedish, does have the same sing-songy qualities. I took three Norwegian classes in college and once you start listening to the language on DVDs, CD-ROMs and stuff it's easy to pick up pronunciations and the musical qualities of the language. If you want an easy language to learn, just pick up the Swedish Rosetta Stone program.

You think? I'm not so good at Norwegian, I have been learning for 3 years now, what I do find is that I have less problems understanding Swedish, it's much easier for me to understand. Danish is next to impossible, a lot of Norwegians and Swedish people revert to English when speaking to Danes. If you can read Norwegian, Danish is easy to understand whereas Swedish is a lot more difficult, whereas Swedish and Norwegian are similar when spoken, Danish is very different.

What annoys me about Norwegian is that you learn Bokmal in Norsk Kurs, but people everyone outside Oslo speak dialect Norsk which is what Nynorsk is based on, Nynorsk is the second written version of Norwegian, it's not widely used but some komunes are Nynorsk and all the information they send you is in Nynorsk, this is annoying because Norsk kurs is in Bokmal not Nynorsk. So you learn one language but people speak all kinds of different versions of Norwegian which makes if very difficult to learn and to understand what the hell people are saying.

My 4 year old is bloody amazing he bounces backwards and forwards from Norwegian to English and back again, my 18 month old understands both although he doesn't say mush at the moment.

fxramper

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:54 pm

The language of love.  crying 

Ken777

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Italian is at the top of my list, especially watching an Italian speak it with their hands as well as their tongue. (Always wondered it they developed arthritis in their hands if they would talk with a lisp.  Yeah sure ) It's also the greatest language I know of for music.

luckyone

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Hindi/Punjabi/Urdu: Make me want to piss my pants laughing. They sound really comical to Western ears.

All of the languages spoken in the subcontinent sound absolutely hilarious to me, like the speakers are in a perpetual panic!

Quoting LH459 (Reply 1):
Hungarian: My favorite non Indo-European language! You think German has long words and vowel clusters, just check out Hungarian! I can't tell where one word ends and the next begins!

Ahhh, the agglutinating language. Unlike German, which literally just strings adjectives and nouns together, not (thankfully) changing too much other than an -es, or an -s, Hungarian changes half the blasted word endings. Too boot it needs its own alphabet. Sitting there trying to decipher all the umlauts and accents and accented umlauts... it just gives me a headache, lol. I'd rather just learn a different alphabet.

Don't forget the capitalisation. German is probably the language with the most specific capitalisation rules on the planet.  

Which makes getting around Germany on tourist's German amazingly easy!

Russian is annoying, and it's impossible to sound pleasant when speaking Russian. Italian stresses me out. I can't really figure out why, but I think it's so dramatic that it's TOO dramatic. Throw in the fact that Italians like to scream... For me, my favorite is Xhosa.

[Edited 2009-12-04 12:54:49 by luckyone]