Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptainTim
Topic Author

12 Osama Bin Laden Family Members Are FAA Pilots

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:18 pm

An interesting article just released a few days ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/high-flying-bin-ladens/story?id=9271855

Supposedly 12 of Bin Laden distant family members are FAA pilots. Personally Bin Laden related or not I am not worried too much about these individuals being FAA pilots since all foreign alien pilots have to go through the TSA background check.

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=p§ion=WN

Just an interesting article I thought would interest A.net members.

CaptainTim
Gulfstream Planeview Cockpit: "why have hundreds of buttons when a CCD does the same thing and more?"

aerdingus

RE: 12 Osama Bin Laden Family Members Are FAA Pilots

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:21 pm

A lot of his family members try to distance themselves from his actions.

AK
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Flighty

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:04 pm

LOFL. We have a TSA inspecting (and inconveniencing) our grandmothers, and yet people named Bin Laden are allowed to fly?

If they want to distance themselves, let them change their name to something else, as a token of their effort. Otherwise their tickets should be pulled due to security concerns. Consider the massive security sacrifices we all make. It's not a perfect world.

pilotaydin

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Quoting CaptainTim (Thread starter):
I am not worried too much about these individuals being FAA pilots since all foreign alien pilots have to go through the TSA background check.

not to burst your bubble, since when do newly formed gov't agencies have the capability to detect INTENTION with a background check?
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

DUALRATED

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 2):
If they want to distance themselves, let them change their name to something else, as a token of their effort.

Might be a good idea , for example you don't see many people with the last name Hitler very often. Imagine what life would be like with that name. duck 

Otherwise their tickets should be pulled due to security concerns.

Now that wouldn't be right now would it? sarcastic 

let us not forget that it was Bin Laden family members who were the only ones flying anywhere in the days after 9-11 while the rest of us stayed grounded.  irked 
AIRLINERS.NET MODERATORS SUCK MOOSE DICK!!!!

757MDE

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:22 pm

I have the same last name of "the Jackal", should I change it so the TSA is happy?
nope!

Let's judge people for what they are and do and not for who their relatives are unless they have proved links to the bad actions of any member of the family.

[Edited 2009-12-10 10:24:13]
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

evomutant

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 pm

LOFL. We have a TSA inspecting (and inconveniencing) our grandmothers, and yet people named Bin Laden are allowed to fly?

If they want to distance themselves, let them change their name to something else, as a token of their effort. Otherwise their tickets should be pulled due to security concerns. Consider the massive security sacrifices we all make. It's not a perfect world.

Really?

I share a surname with a certain Timothy McVeigh. Should I be banned from US Federal buildings unless I change my name?

EIJFK

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:28 pm

I know they're not going to be piloting commercial aircraft anytime soon, but just think of the looks on the passengers' faces if someone named "Captain Bin Laden" came over the PA...

vfw614

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:35 pm

So what? I guess almost all of his relatives are all perfectly decent people - like in any other family, there are black sheep.

I guess if one of them had any sinister plans, the first thing he would have done is to get rid of the Bin Laden name...

ilovepabst

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:11 pm

and yet people named Bin Laden are allowed to fly?

Are you kidding? Since when are people in the United States proven guilty by association. I suppose every family member of a mass murderer or serial killer should also be banned from doing anything. Why stop there? If you are Middle Eastern you must be a terrorist as well. Ridiculous. Take a step back dude.

airfrnt

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Please bear in mind, the Bin Ladin family was the cream of the Saudi non-royal crop, as close to royalty as you can get without the Al Saud behind the title. It makes sense that there are a lot of family members with private planes.

slimshady

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Quoting DUALRATED (Reply 4):
Might be a good idea , for example you don't see many people with the last name Hitler very often. Imagine what life would be like with that name

I saw in a documentary once that Hitler's sister moved to NYC or something after the war and she did indeed change her name.

Also, the Bin Laden family is HUGE, like thousands... and they are all rich and the reports are they have severed all ties with Osama and do not represent his beliefs or support him in any way....

Doesnt suprise me some of them FAA licenses. I bet the some of the folks on the list of FAA certificated pilots or mechanics would suprise a lot of us.

bennett123

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:29 pm

I know it is not their fault, but flying with Captain Bin Laden would make me nervous.

nomadd22

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:39 pm

The governor of California's father was a member of the nazi party. I think I'll sue the state because my father was wounded in the Ardennnes.
Anon

directorguy

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Seriously? You are aware that there are dozens, if not a few hundred people of the bin Laden family, right? One sour group does not 'mean' anything. If anything, members of that family do distance themselves apart, and many of his own brothers only knew him briefly.
Not to mention the bin Laden family name as a business is pretty strong in the Middle East-it would be like a Tom Rockafeller became a terrorist and you suggest that everyone Rockafeller change his name.

Flighty

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:26 pm

I am just saying that we do have a no-fly list. We put people even suspected of associated with terror in Guantanamo. Given that we do those things, why wouldn't the Bin Ladens and McVeighs receive very close inspection (at least the direct family members of the accused). The issue is not whether they deserve it. They probably don't. But boo-hoo. We live in a security conscious environment. Or if not, let's stop pretending about that. Really, allowing Bin Ladens to fly... Hmmmm. And I have to put my bags through an Xray machine, why?

Are these FAA card holders permitted ramp access?

aero145

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 pm

This thread stinks of prejudice.  sarcastic 

Hello folks, it’s not their fault that a relative is Osama bin Laden!

Mir

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 15):
I am just saying that we do have a no-fly list. We put people even suspected of associated with terror in Guantanamo. Given that we do those things, why wouldn't the Bin Ladens and McVeighs receive very close inspection (at least the direct family members of the accused).

Do you know that they didn't?

Really, allowing Bin Ladens to fly... Hmmmm. And I have to put my bags through an Xray machine, why?

Because that's what a member of the bin Laden family would have to do as well to get on an airplane. Not too complicated, really.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Springbok747

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Otherwise their tickets should be pulled due to security concerns.

Oh really. And why is that? The other day I flew a QF 737 and the captain was a 'Muhammed'. The aircraft didn't crash or fly into any buildings.

Its not their fault for being 'distant relatives' of a terrorist scum..what a ridiculous statement....geez.
אני תומך בישראל

N104UA

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Well Hitler's closest living relatives live on Long Island, should we arrest them, NO because it is not a crime to be related to someone
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...--in-terror-of-identification.html
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

flyingwaeldar

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 am

But boo-hoo. We live in a security conscious environment.

It looks like your previous government has really managed to get some people in a constant state of fear. Believe me, most people in the world have other problems than to hide behind a tree and wait for a passing American to kill him.............

As others have mentioned the times of punishing whole families for the failings of one member are luckily long gone in the civilized world.

ltbewr

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 am

Let us not forget that almost all relatives of Osama Bin-Laden who lived or were in the USA at the time of 9/11 were all spiritied out and back to Saudi Arabia on special flights on USA aircraft when all other commercial and private flying was suspended after 9/11. They all should have been brought to a military base, the adults interrogated throughly but legally, their financial accounts and assets in the USA frozen to make sure and to verify no monies went to al-Queda.
Bin Laden family owned companies still exist and do business in the Middle East, based in Saudi Arabia.

It is an uneasy situation. The family still gets special treatment by the Saudi government. Still, I would suspect that no member of the family would be allow to operate an aircraft that would come anywhere near the USA and indeed it may be near impossible for any of them to travel anywhere near the USA.

baroque

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 am

Quoting Nomadd22 (Reply 13):
I think I'll sue the state because my father was wounded in the Ardennnes.

Nice one Nomad!  bigthumbsup 

Maverick623

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 12):
but flying with Captain Bin Laden would make me nervous.

Why is that?

We put people even suspected of associated with terror in Guantanamo.

Bull. I know you'd like it that way, but the only people in Gitmo are there for, at the very least, shooting at Americans.

why wouldn't the Bin Ladens and McVeighs receive very close inspection

Ah, you know you've been caught. First it's "they shouldn't fly at all!!! OMG terrorists!!!", now it's "Oh let's just look a little deeper".

Frankly, your attitude is disgusting and has no place in this or any other civilized country.

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 16):
This thread stinks of prejudice.

Stinks isn't a strong enough word.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Flighty

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:17 am

Quoting Flyingwaeldar (Reply 20):
As others have mentioned the times of punishing whole families for the failings of one member are luckily long gone in the civilized world.

Really? We punish entire nationalities. We only recently stopped punishing races.

Quoting Flyingwaeldar (Reply 20):
It looks like your previous government has really managed to get some people in a constant state of fear.

They do give me the impression that aviation security is kind of serious, yes. I've encountered law enforcement more than once at airports. They tell me to throw away fruit, pause while they sniff my bags for explosives, etc.

My suggestion isn't that the Bin Ladsn cousins should be punished. It's that this appears to highlight how foolish our security blanket is. The TSA in their hundreds of contacts with me is pretty professional, but they look me over closely. I am more commenting that our entire security process is a joke. I have nothing against the Bin Laden cousins, but -- by established and normal security -- it's hard to believe they get clearance to land. Sure, Capt. Bin Laden, make an approach, have a good time... wonderful.  Big grin

Meanwhile, throw that granny against the wall down there in the terminal!  Big grin

ATCtower

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:49 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 16):
This thread stinks of prejudice. sarcastic

Hello folks, it’s not their fault that a relative is Osama bin Laden!

And I guess it wouldnt be my fault to be a relative of the Manson Family?

Come on now....

Flying is a privilege, living is a RIGHT.

Why are we whining about extending a privilege to people who fled "their country" after 9/11?

If these people were truly American, they would have stayed and rode out the storm like the rest of us. If they are "better" than us, F them. I could care less who they are related to. Saying they are related to Bin Laden to leave our country, and then saying they are not to further their cause, is an insult to us all.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

varigb707

RE: 12 Osama Bin Laden Family Members Are FAA Pilo

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:49 am

Quoting DUALRATED (Reply 4):
Might be a good idea , for example you don't see many people with the last name Hitler very often. Imagine what life would be like with that name.  

there's a book about this subject. 'The Last of the Hitlers", by William Patrick Hitler.
Here's an interesting article on WIkipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Patrick_Hitler

[Edited 2009-12-11 03:56:19 by VarigB707]

[Edited 2009-12-11 03:56:52 by VarigB707]
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

AirPacific747

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Went through the TSA background check myself.

Had to list all countries I had visited within the last 10 years with year

Had to list all the times I had visited the US with exact date in the last 10 years.

Had to get my fingerprints taken in Stockholm before I was allowed to do flying lessons in the US...

I am sure they have everything under control, lol!

Aaron747

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:41 pm

This thread got rich quick.

Quoting Nomadd22 (Reply 13):
I think I'll sue the state because my father was wounded in the Ardennnes.

rotfl  Well-put sir.

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 25):
Saying they are related to Bin Laden to leave our country, and then saying they are not to further their cause, is an insult to us all.

On the other hand, this is right on the money as well. For people with money and power, these folks are positively spineless.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

rfields5421

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Dates License Issued

1977 - Omar bin Laden *
1976 - Carmen bin Laden - ex-wife of Yeslam
1978 - Abdul Aziz bin Laden * - commercial pilot rating
1978 - Randa bin Laden *
1985 - Tarek bin Laden * (now 62 years old)
1991 - Ghalib bin Laden * - commercial pilot rating
1993 - Najiah bin Laden * - PPL
1994 - Nawaf bin Laden - commercial pilot rating
1995 - Shafiq bin Laden * - student license - apparently never received PPL

June 2009 - Yeslam bin Laden * - has license to fly in Switzerland - obtained US license to be able to fly his Lear in the US
June 2009 - Abdullah bin Laden * - received CPL rating
June 2009 - Khalil bin Laden * - student license

* - one of 53 Osama's known half brothers or half sisters

Note - Osama was born in 1957 - his father's 17th child - the only child of his 10th wife - Osama has no actual brothers or sisters. Osama's father was married 22 times and had about 55 children. He died in 1967 - in a plane crash

His mother and father were divorced in 1958. Osama was raised in Jeddah in the home of his mother's second husband - Muhammad al-Attas. He has three half-brothers and one half-sister from that marriage. These children who are not part of the bin-Laden family were the only ones raised with him.
Not all who wander are lost.

CPH-R

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
Let us not forget that almost all relatives of Osama Bin-Laden who lived or were in the USA at the time of 9/11 were all spiritied out and back to Saudi Arabia on special flights on USA aircraft when all other commercial and private flying was suspended after 9/11.

Didn't happen. They were assembled on the 19th and flew out on the 20th, after the FBI had interviewed whoever they deemed necessary.

http://www.911myths.com/index.php/Bin_Laden_family_flight