Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual747den
Topic Author

I Was Arrested!

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:36 pm

This is still something I am trying to deal with in my own mind but now that I have taken care of most of the legal issues I think its time I share it!

So I had just picked my kids up from my Mothers house after my flight back home from a busy day at work in Chicago. I got home and my wife was cooking dinner, while I was waiting for dinner to be ready I was watching TV in the living room of my house. I live in a very nice neighborhood in Northern Colorado and we have a large porch that wraps around the house.
There is a knock at the door and I see a police officer looking in the window. My first thought is its one of the neighbors because there are several officers that live in the neighborhood. Because of that I tell my wife to get the door since she deals with most of the neighborhood crap! She answers the door and the officer yells, "I already seen him where is he," and pulls his gun out as he walks into the house. My wife screams for me and I walk into the entry area looking right down the barrel of a gun and an officer screaming at me to put my hands up. I do so while screaming back that this is a mistake and ask him what he is doing and why he is at my house.
After I am in cuffs and another officer comes in the front door (he was apparently watching the back of the house) I have my wife go up stairs and make sure the kids stay in their room. The officers explain to me that I have a warrant out of Weld County (a county over) that is extraditable and they are taking me to the Larimer County Jail. After talking with them for a few minuets we all calm down and they agree to take me out the back door and pull the car up to my drive way so that my kids wont see and it wont be as big of a scene in the neighborhood.
So when we get to the Loveland Police station I am finger printed and am told the warrant is for theft of rental property out of a little tiny town called Milliken Colorado and is about 3 years old. I am told that there is no bond and that I will have to spend the weekend in the Larimer County Jail before being transferred to Weld County. Next am transported to the jail and booked in. It is late by this time so I am dressed in orange jail clothing and put in a cell for the night. The next morning I am on the phone with my lawyer who tells me that the jail made a mistake and within 8hrs I am bonded out for $100.

So I find out that I was arrested for "Theft of Rental Property".
THE THEFT:
My wife used a movie rental card she got in my name and forgot to return the movies ontime. The were returned 33 days late and in this time a warrant was issued. I never knew anything about it because I never had any kind of contact with the police.
I went to court thinking it would be thrown out right away but it was not and I had to plead not guilty and go through all the trouble of setting up a trial. One week before the trial they threw the case out.
So I was arrested, spent a night in jail, took several days off of work to deal with this, and a week before trial they throw it out.........

I feel like I wanted the trial so that I could expose how completely stupid the legal system is. I was a person who believed that people who were in jail were there because they are bad people and need to be in jail. I thought if you were arrested it was because you deserved to be arrested. This is all not true and the system is a complete joke.

I am just so mad I find the need to share with people what happened to me. I hope nobody ever has to go through something like this, although a night in jail doesn't seem like that big of a deal, trust me IT IS.....

Anyone here work for Netflix, I have a great commercial!
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

flymia

RE: I Was Arrested!

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Thread starter):

This is very true, sounds like a great add.

As for your story that is horrible and it does happen, the system cant be perfect every time but to say it is a joke is not correct. It sucks to have been in your situation though. I think this has to do more with it being small town with small town sheriffs etc.. Something like this would have never happened in a decent sized county. To go to someones house like that for a stupid warrant like that is just a waste of time for most cops.

Sorry to hear about your situation but at least is it all taken care of now.

[Edited 2009-12-15 12:43:56 by srbmod]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LAXintl

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:28 pm

As petty as the situation or item might be in your case, the law is the law afterall.

Replace "movies" with steam vacumm, furniture, clothes, construction tools, a car etc, all things we rent, that have a rightful legal owner that can file a legal complaint if the items are not returned timely. It might be silly over a $10 movie, but the principle is the same, and the rights of the owner of the movies is no lesser just because it might be a $10 property.

Anyhow, since it seems your wife was behind this whole ordeal for you, I hope she works hard to make it up to you! Big grin
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

IMissPiedmont

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:31 pm

The situation does go to show how much of a police state we do live in though. A benign police state for the most part but the USA is still a police state.

[Edited 2009-12-15 12:44:13 by srbmod]
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

OA412

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:34 pm

The officer does not have to have a warrant in his hand in order to knock on your door and arrest you. If there is an active warrant out for your arrest and the cops come a knocking, you'd better believe that slamming the door in his face and telling him to get off your property is not going to be your smartest move.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 2):
Yea thats a great idea the officers would have just walked away and told him to have a good day.

[Edited 2009-12-15 12:44:51 by srbmod]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Fly2HMO

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 2):
I think this has to do more with it being small town with small town sheriffs etc..

Those are THE worse police departments IMO. In small towns they seem to run their departments Gestapo style. They'll screw you over first and ask questions later.

I got a $1700 fine for "speeding" and having "invalid" insurance once. The cop was a complete jackass on a power trip and wrote many things incorrectly in the ticket. At any rate I needed to get a lawyer to have it overthrown. It still cost me almost as much to get the lawyer though.  banghead 

And don't give me the whole "if you wouldn't have been speeding..." lecture BS. Had I been pulled over in a decent sized city with reasonable limits I'm 100% certain I would've gotten off with a warning. Not to mention I've found big city cops to be much more respectful and cool headed.

greasespot

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm

The USA has kind of a screwy system...Here officers can release on the spot with an appearance notice for Criminal Code Offences

If the below is met we just release

Acronym is RICE and the 4 P's

R = Repetition (of the offence)
I = Identity (of the accused)
C = Court (likelihood of appearing for)
E = Evidence (protection of).

P 1 Protection of the public interest
P2 Protection of the accused,
P3 Protection of property, and
P4 Prevent a breach of the peace

Plus most warrants for petty stuff are only returnable with in a Geographic region, That way we , The police , are not stuck paying for the travel of 2 officers to go get some guy who stole items worth 20 bucks.

Plus Here we are the ultimate decider on whether charges get laid, In a situation like this I would have not laid charges. Made attempts to contact and that is it. If the complainant wanted charges and I decided against it he could go swear before a justice of the peace and explain to him why it would be in Canada's interest to have this person charged.

GS

[Edited 2009-12-15 12:45:13 by srbmod]
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

ManuCH

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:55 pm

My wife used a movie rental card she got in my name and forgot to return the movies ontime. The were returned 33 days late and in this time a warrant was issued. I never knew anything about it because I never had any kind of contact with the police.

Wait, I don't get it. How can they get you arrested for something like this? Wouldn't they charge the cost of the movies to the credit card, or send you a letter stating that you owe them money because you didn't return the movies on time?
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

varigb707

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 8):
Wait, I don't get it. How can they get you arrested for something like this? Wouldn't they charge the cost of the movies to the credit card, or send you a letter stating that you owe them money because you didn't return the movies on time?

yes and no. Depending on the business/state/etc. Most would just charge one's credit card and that be the end of it. Other business, will do just that and file a "theft" charge.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

PacNWjet

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:48 pm

My wife used a movie rental card she got in my name

The typical practice at most video rental stores is for a patron to provide a form of identification (e.g., a driver's license) to obtain open an account and/or a rental card. Why didn't your wife use her own I.D. to establish the account? Why did she open the account in your name? Why did she not tell you about the account? Did you watch the movies in question with her? Why didn't you ask where the movies came from? Why didn't you offer to return them to the video store? Why did your wife rent movies from a video rental store in Weld County? Are there no video rental stores in Larimer County? What is so special about this particular video rental store in the "tiny town" of Milliken, Colorado? According to Google Maps there aren't even any video rental stores in Milliken (there are some in nearby towns such as Johnstown and Greeley).

Methinks you already have posted one (here).

ual747den
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 8):

Yeah you would think that might be the case!

You would also imagine that the background checks I had gone through every year to renew my security clearance would have shown something. I always assumed that a person with an active warrant would also have problems on international flights but I guess this is not the case.

dragon6172

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:14 am

It is so much easier to catch people who do not return movies than those that peddle drugs and commit robbery!

Here is my question, if they came to your door, were they not aware of what the warrant was for? I would assume they did, because going knocking on a door for someone wanted for murder and someone wanted for an overdue blockbuster would be approached a bit differently, unless it is "treat everyone like they shot your mother" in your town.

If I were you, I would definitely contact NetFlix and tell them your story, maybe you will get something out of it.
Phrogs Phorever

IADCA

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:41 am

I am just so mad I find the need to share with people what happened to me. I hope nobody ever has to go through something like this, although a night in jail doesn't seem like that big of a deal, trust me IT IS.....

One of the problems of our justice system is this mere fact. Another is that the entire justice system gets blamed for the poor judgment of an unreasonable cop or a bored prosecutor. So much depends on the discretion of these folks, who basically have no accountability to the public. It's frustrating to go through three years of law school and have one's profession and field discredited by people like that.

Basically, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds almost as if the mere arrest was excessive punishment for this offense...and coming in with a freakin' gun?

[Edited 2009-12-15 12:46:40 by srbmod]

prebennorholm

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:47 am

This is fantastic.

I have heard a lot of stories about how police works in the US, and never belived them. But if this is true, then I may have to accept some of the other stories as well.

This is not only discomfort for the citizens, but extreme waste of taxpayers money.

In any other country a policeman would have called you on the phone and asked you what was the issue, and told you that he would send you a fine ticket in case you didn't prove that you had not intentionally stolen a video film.

It also explains why the US needs to have more lawyers than the whole population of my country. One more terrible waste of resources.

But if the system is changed? Then most of the lawyers are put out of work and unemployment rate doubles. They can't even be put to work on car assembling plants for two reasons: They are not qualified, and car sales are going down.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

pilotsmoe

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 6):
And don't give me the whole "if you wouldn't have been speeding..." lecture BS. Had I been pulled over in a decent sized city with reasonable limits I'm 100% certain I would've gotten off with a warning. Not to mention I've found big city cops to be much more respectful and cool headed

Because they have real crime to deal with

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:29 am

Not to discount the OP's situation, but I honestly feel like there is a piece, perhaps a rather big one, that has been left out of the story. Too many factors just don't add up, as noted in Reply 11
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

JBirdAV8r

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 am

Anyway...

I was just thinking. If this was an active warrant, say you were flying back from Europe to the United States. Would they grab you at immigration for this?
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Airstud

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:49 am

The bit that I don't get (well, one of the bits) concerns the Fourth Amendment issue surrounding them entering your home without either a)your permission nor b)probable cause to believe a felony was in progress.

Can they legally bust into your home (let alone draw their guns at you) on the sole basis that there's a warrant out, even for a charge on such a petty matter?

I'm just asking...Did those cops not violate Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure? Since the arrest warrant was for a completely nonviolent offense, did the cops use excessive force by drawing their guns - in front of the guy's wife (emotional distress complaint) ?

I agree about small-town cops being d!(kweeds. I worked as a security guard at a riff-raff apartment complex in Gloucester, Massachusetts. The cops came over frequently and they were so immature and incompetent it's just not funny.

Now Salem, Massachusetts had really good cops.
Pancakes are delicious.

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 20):

I suppose they could, but you have to wonder if they would go through all the effort to do so. Kind of like the cops in this story...

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:56 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 21):

No rights were violated and this was not excessive force. Cops had a warrant and they had no idea what kind of home they were entering nor what kind of person they were dealing with. Who would have thought the petty guy in Time Square would have shot at officers? You just never know. As for emotional distress? That is one of the biggest scams in our legal system.

[Edited 2009-12-12 17:57:51]

cpd

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 am

Guns drawn and aggressive attitude seems completely pointless in this respect.

I suppose it's easier to make up quotas and the like by arresting the easy to get people for little things like this rather than going after gangs, murderers and drug-dealers.

PacNWjet

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 19):
Too many factors just don't add up, as noted in Reply 11

To which I will add a few more. The OP claims to live in Larimer County, Colorado (Denver, to be exact). At any given time in Larimer County there must be hundreds if not thousands of outstanding warrants for offenses ranging from murder, rape, and assault to failure to make child support payments. Are we really to believe the Denver police (or the police in a Denver suburb) will drop everything, including warrants for offenses committed within their own jurisdiction, to pick up someone with a warrant from a neighboring county (a smaller one, at that) on a minor theft of rental property beef?

I mean think about it, here is the scenario that has been painted: A store owner in the tiny town of Milliken, Colorado files charges for an overdue DVD, the Weld County District Attorney draws up an arrest warrant, the Weld County Sheriff's Office files a request with the Larimer County Sheriff or the Denver Police Department (or some other police department in the Denver metropolitan area) to enforce the warrant, the Larimer County and/or Denver and/or Denver area law enforcement officials drop everything (including warrants for major offenses including Class A felonies committed in their own jurisdiction) to pick up a the OP with guns drawn on a charge of theft of rental property in a different jurisdiction.

This is what we are supposed to believe? As JetsGo says, something (or many things) do not add up.

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:10 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 24):
I suppose it's easier to make up quotas and the like by arresting the easy to get people for little things like this rather than going after gangs, murderers and drug-dealers.

And I suppose it's easier for you to believe an anti-cop post than perhaps consider the idea that the OP's story as stated does not add up.

PacNWjet

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:12 am

I agree about small-town cops being d!(kweeds.

The OP does not live in a small town. According to his profile he lives in Denver. As I say in my earlier post, I highly doubt the Denver PD has nothing better to do than enforce a warrant from a different jurisdiction on a minor beef when it has much more pressing matters to attend to. The whole story makes no sense whatsoever.

cpd

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:28 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 26):
And I suppose it's easier for you to believe an anti-cop post than perhaps consider the idea that the OP's story as stated does not add up.

Whoa, calm down there. I'm not anti-Police at all.

So, are you suggesting that the perpetrator has done worse? If so, perhaps you'd explain to us what it is that you think might also have occurred?

But I think we all know that among Police forces, there are good-cops and bad ones.

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:35 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 29):
Whoa, calm down there. I'm not anti-Police at all.

Apologies...didn't mean to sound aggressive. The quota remark did strike a nerve though.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 29):
So, are you suggesting that the perpetrator has done worse? If so, perhaps you'd explain to us what it is that you think might also have occurred?

All I'm suggesting is that something is off. Since I do not know the OP, it would be wrong for me to accuse him of worse.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 29):
But I think we all know that among Police forces, there are good-cops and bad ones.

checkmark 

76794p

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:13 am

Those are THE worse police departments

I agree I live in a small city inside of houston. One day me and my sister who is 13 and i am 15 were walking through a parking lot while a city event was going on and every cop in the city was out. So i grabbed her arm and yelled at her as in a usual brother/sister fight fashion and a cop in running clothes spots us and after the fight we walk past him and he says the usual cop stuff i.e his name and a 5 minute lecture after asking me for my full name and address and phone number. so he walks over to his patrol car and tells the cop in it some cop jibba jabba. So the cop drives and i see him and start running while in flip flops and then stop after 10 or so feet. Then he pulls into a driveway and gets out and tells me to put my hands on the car. I had my D40 with me and 100$ lens on it so i was terrified they would look through it and find about 100 pics from spotting at IAH and be charged with some weird charge for photographing commercial aircraft at an airport. so anyway they talk to me for 20 minutes and tell me next i will be arrested and charged with assault. I think the cops are bored in my neighborhood and will do anything to make someones day suck.
There's always money IN the banana stand.

BMI727

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:30 am

Quoting 76794p (Reply 31):

When I was 16 and had just gotten my license I was driving back from a basketball tournament. Just outside of my town there is a stop sign and then a short stretch of about 1/2 mile of 55mph speed limit before it drops to 30 in town. I stop at the stop sign and turn into town. The cop passes me the other way and follows me all the way to my house. After he pulls into the driveway I ask him what the problem is. He starts by asking how old I am and I tell him. Then he inquires about my driving record and I tell him that it is spotless, leaving out that I'd only had my license for about a month. He then shows his radar gun, which reads 50. I tell him that the speed limit was 55 and he says that it is 30 all of the way from the stop sign and then he leaves.

So in the course of all of that, he did not ask for my license, registration, or proof of insurance, just my age and my driving record. And I got off with a warning for supposedly going 20 mph over the speed limit. Maybe some cops out there will disagree, but if you get pulled over doing 20 over near a town, you WILL be ticketed. Something tells me that the cop didn't want to have to go 20 miles to the county seat just to have my potential ticket thrown out. Plus, my dad was driving right in front of me doing the same speed.

As if that wasn't enough, I relate all of this to my dad who had become curious about the presence of the cop. My dad then tells this to the city manager who is a colorful guy (and criminal) in his own right. The manager probably had a talk with this cop and that particular officer who regularly worked on weekends would regularly follow me (or my mom when she was driving that car) about town whenever he saw me for about the next two years until I got a new car. He would probably still follow the old car if he saw it.

And to top it all off, the speed limit on the stretch of road in question was lowered a month or two after the incident, to 40 mph, not 30 like the cop said.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:54 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 33):

Were you there to verify that a gun was in fact pulled to substaniate your agreement that the cops are pigs, or do you just jump on negative police commentary instead of considering a piece of the story was left out?

[Edited 2009-12-12 19:55:24]

GQfluffy

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 am

And don't give me the whole "if you wouldn't have been speeding..." lecture BS. Had I been pulled over in a decent sized city with reasonable limits I'm 100% certain I would've gotten off with a warning.

Why not? You should not have been, and regardless if you think small town cops have it out for you or not, you deserve everything you had coming to you just because you thought you could speed.
This isn't where I parked my car...

PacNWjet

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:07 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 32):

There is a huge difference between police officers acting irresponsibly when they put themselves in stupid situations and the scenario painted by the OP of the District Attorney of Weld County, the Weld County Sheriff's Department, the Denver Police Department, and the Larimer County Sheriff's Department conspiring to have an individual arrested at gunpoint and extradited to a neighboring jurisdiction to face charges for a late DVD rental. It is believable that individual police officers abuse their authority to save face. It is not believable that multiple law enforcement agencies expend resources and work in tandem to arrest a nobody on allegations of practically nothing. At least a crooked cop gains something by saving face. What do the law enforcement agencies have to gain in the scenario painted by the OP? Nothing.

PPVRA

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:34 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 34):

Were you there to verify that a gun was in fact pulled to substaniate your agreement that the cops are pigs, or do you just jump on negative police commentary instead of considering a piece of the story was left out?

Based on the story presented, the cops are abusive pigs. Neither you or I have any evidence to prove one way or another.

And it's not like power abuse by police officers is rare. I'm more inclined to believe a citizen.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:24 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 37):

So you're more inclined to believe a half told story,one that is missing key elements, simply because a citizen told it instead of the cops?  Yeah sure

As noted in several posts above, the story does not make sense. Cops do not coordinate and respond in said manner over said crime.

ual747den
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 19):
Not to discount the OP's situation, but I honestly feel like there is a piece, perhaps a rather big one, that has been left out of the story. Too many factors just don't add up, as noted in Reply 11

Nothing being left out. I did nothing else, they just came to my door on an old warrant.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 20):
I was just thinking. If this was an active warrant, say you were flying back from Europe to the United States. Would they grab you at immigration for this?

I guess not, I did many many international trips during the time this warrant was active.

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 25):
To which I will add a few more. The OP claims to live in Larimer County, Colorado (Denver, to be exact). At any given time in Larimer County there must be hundreds if not thousands of outstanding warrants for offenses ranging from murder, rape, and assault to failure to make child support payments. Are we really to believe the Denver police (or the police in a Denver suburb) will drop everything, including warrants for offenses committed within their own jurisdiction, to pick up someone with a warrant from a neighboring county (a smaller one, at that) on a minor theft of rental property beef?

Larimer County does not included Denver at all. It is North of Denver and includes the cities of Loveland and Fort Collins where Colorado State University is located.
Believe it or not it happened.

I mean think about it, here is the scenario that has been painted: A store owner in the tiny town of Milliken, Colorado files charges for an overdue DVD, the Weld County District Attorney draws up an arrest warrant, the Weld County Sheriff's Office files a request with the Larimer County Sheriff or the Denver Police Department (or some other police department in the Denver metropolitan area) to enforce the warrant, the Larimer County and/or Denver and/or Denver area law enforcement officials drop everything (including warrants for major offenses including Class A felonies committed in their own jurisdiction) to pick up a the OP with guns drawn on a charge of theft of rental property in a different jurisdiction.

This is what we are supposed to believe? As JetsGo says, something (or many things) do not add up.

I don't think they dropped everything to take care of this considering this warrant was about 3 years old.

For those of you who think I am making this up for some crazy reason here is the paperwork to dismiss the charges from the court. While it does not say a whole lot about what happened it does validate some of my story.

I also was able to find what they called my booking sheet. While I had to get rid of a lot of personal information you can see the charge I was booked on and that it was a "hold" for another county.

<>
<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/UAL747DEN/CourtBkng.jpg>

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:35 am

Thank you for providing some evidence. I hope you understand I was not discounting your trip to jail, but more along the lines of how things went down both at the house and prior to the arrest.

Springbok747

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 am

Don't the cops have anything better to do than go looking for people who have a few outstanding DVDs? I've had friends who always returned their DVDs late..all they get is a call from the store, asking them politely, but firmly to return the movies/games/whatever.
Why didn't the OP get a call or an email from the DVD rental place asking him to return the DVDs before more drastic measures (like reporting the matter to the cops and issuing an arrest warrant) were taken?

I came across a similar story here..

Under Texas law, a retail business owner must first send customers a certified letter. The customer then has 10 days to return the movie or pay the store.

a href="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052809dnmetdvds.2141e1b7.html" target=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ries/052809dnmetdvds.2141e1b7.html

I still don't get why they didn't send a letter or an email or make a phone call informing him to return the DVDs...crazy stuff!

[Edited 2009-12-12 21:47:59]
אני תומך בישראל

PPVRA

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:42 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 38):

As noted in several posts above, the story does not make sense. Cops do not coordinate and respond in said manner over said crime.

No one claimed it made sense. Which is apparently the reason the story was shared to begin with.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

ual747den
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:42 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 41):
Don't the cops have anything better to do than go looking for people like the OP who have a few outstanding DVDs? I've had friends who always returned their DVDs late..all they get is a call from the store, asking them politely, but firmly to return the movies/games/whatever.
Why didn't the OP get a call or an email from the DVD rental place asking him to return the DVDs before more drastic measures (like reporting the matter to the cops and issuing an arrest warrant) were taken?

You know the worst part of this is that I NEVER stepped one foot into this video store! The closest I came to this store was the tanning salon in the same shopping center!!!
Just imagine being in jail for "The Little Black Book" and "Ladder 49"!!!!

vikkyvik

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:50 am

I don't really care if the story is true or not, but....

To which I will add a few more. The OP claims to live in Larimer County, Colorado (Denver, to be exact).

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 27):
The OP does not live in a small town. According to his profile he lives in Denver.

Denver is not in Larimer County. Denver is in Denver County.

His location says "DEN - Denver International Airport". I highly doubt he lives in the airport.

Now Salem, Massachusetts had really good cops.

Gotta keep tabs on the witches!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MD11Engineer

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:36 am

Quoting Lufthansa411 (Reply 28):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 10):
Years ago I had a university classmate, who was living in an apartment block in a quite rough neighbourhood of Berlin (Kreuzberg)

Hey, easy now. I currently live in Kreuzberg. I prefer the term "colourful" when describing the neighbourhood. Actually we have been having quite the good month here. Only two cars on my street have been torched and the brothel across the street has only been raided once. Wink

During this period (the late 1980s, early 1990s) I lived in Neukölln near Hermannstrasse, not too far away from Kreuzberg (SO36). It was a time with weekly street battles between cops and anarchist squatters, looted shops and burning cars. Due to the the police barracks in Friesenstraße always had a company of riot police ready to rock and roll.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

na

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:30 pm

To point a gun on someone who´s wife forgot to return a video is so utterly over the top I cant help to call the responsible policeman a stupid idiot who should be reprimanded. And the court is guilty of grossly exaggerating a non-event.
Btw., are policemen arresting someone not informed what the apparent offence was? To even carry a gun to someone who forgot a video is over the top.
Did you demand a detailed explanation from the ill-minded judge who issued the warrant? Isnt he obliged to answer you? I´d also go and visit the policeman to have him explain in front of his superiors why he pulled a gun. Mad policemen are everywhere, also in Germany, my wife has had a similar experience some years ago. Not with police using guns, but with a false arrest and the denial to call a lawyer in time to bail her out before night fell and she had to spend one night in prison for nothing. No policeman was fined for forbidding her to call a lawyer.

Revelation

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:33 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 24):

I guess you forget that much of the US population is armed, no?

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 38):

Right, and just because it doesn't make sense to you, it didn't happen.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ual747den
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 46):
To point a gun on someone who´s wife forgot to return a video is so utterly over the top I cant help to call the responsible policeman a stupid idiot who should be reprimanded. And the court is guilty of grossly exaggerating a non-event.
Btw., are policemen arresting someone not informed what the apparent offence was? To even carry a gun to someone who forgot a video is over the top.
Did you demand a detailed explanation from the ill-minded judge who issued the warrant? Isnt he obliged to answer you? I´d also go and visit the policeman to have him explain in front of his superiors why he pulled a gun. Mad policemen are everywhere, also in Germany, my wife has had a similar experience some years ago. Not with police using guns, but with a false arrest and the denial to call a lawyer in time to bail her out before night fell and she had to spend one night in prison for nothing. No policeman was fined for forbidding her to call a lawyer.

I do agree with you that it is way over the top but I think the over the top part comes from the initial report and ticket that was issued. The officer should have used better sense than to issue a theft ticket for a video that was returned late. The next place for this issue to be fixed would have been in the court before a judge decided to issue a warrant for my arrest, and not just any warrant, a warrant that was extraditable from anywhere in the state. If all of these systems were going to fail, as they did, there was still time to correct these bad judgments after I was arrested and made my first court appearance. Rather than trying to correct anything they tried to work out a deal where I would plead guilty to theft and they would give me only minimal fines. (So now I would have a criminal record) I couldn't do this, there was no way that this was going to happen!

Now as far as the officer who held me at gunpoint in front of my wife unitll his help arrived and I could be arrested, I do not blame him at all, in fact I really like the guy now that this is all over. I honestly believe he had no details of the warrant before he came to my door. He told me that all he knew was that it was a Class 2 Misdemeanor warrant and he was doing what he called a warrant check. I think it is SOP to hold all suspects at gunpoint who are going to be arrested until you have another officer to "cover you". After being searched and calming down a little bit we were able to talk and the officer was very nice and said he didn't have all of the details of the warrant at that time but would as soon as we got to the Loveland Police Department. He assured my wife that he would let me call her before I was taken to the Larimer County Jail and told her that I would most likely only be there a few hours. Like I said before, he took me out the back door and tried to make things as low key as possible.
When we got to the station and the officer got all of the information from the warrant he agreed with me that it was a bunch of BS. He even called a few of the other officers over to look at it and all of them agreed that it was sh*t. He allowed me to call and talk to my wife while he finished paperwork and gave me a pen to use to write any phone numbers I might need on my arm since he told me that they were going to take everything from me at the jail and wouldn't give me time for anything like that. As we were walking back out of the police station to his car so that he could drive me to the jail he told another officer (HOT HOT HOT Woman officer, extremely good looking) that he had arrested the most unlucky guy ever! He told her my story and they both agreed it was BS and the woman apologized to me for the messed up system.
Arriving at jail was not such a nice experience, they didn't care why I was there they treat EVERYONE the same. I was "housed" with several people I had read about in the paper on previous days and my "cell mate" was one that I had been reading about for raping a young college student. Unfortunately for me this guy was truly crazy and gave me EVERY detail of what he had done always telling me that she liked it that way. Listening to these details make me sick and absolutely livid at the same time. Nothing about being in jail for even a night was fun and I was scared to death the entire time.

Wow that was a long response but I guess the point I was trying to make was that I don't think the officer was at fault here, I think that he was just doing his job. The fault lies with the layers of people who issued this warrant in the first place and those who didn't rectify it after they realized that the system had failed. I blame those for this horrible experience I had to go through.

lincoln

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:12 pm

Those are THE worse police departments IMO. In small towns they seem to run their departments Gestapo style. They'll screw you over first and ask questions later.

Just in their defense, not all small town PDs are awful. My grandparents live in a small town (year round population ~2,000) with a big tourist season. The PD makes a huge effort to mantain community relations -- for example, the direction from the Chief is the before issuing a ticket for an expired meter in the "downtown" area the officer will go into every business and ask if anyone owns the vehicle. If someone does, they can (at least according to what my grandparents have said) give the officer change and he'll make sure the meter gets fed.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

TheCol

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 pm

and i see him and start running while in flip flops and then stop after 10 or so feet.

Smart move.  Yeah sure

So i grabbed her arm and yelled at her

Moral of the story: Don't harass women.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Ken777

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Didn't read the whole thread, but the OP's comments were enough for me to believe that the core cause of the problem was when your wife returned the movie and the owner of the shop failed to pull the theft charge.

While the owner may have been within their rights in filing the charge, but had a responsibility to pull the complaint when the movie was returned. I'd have your lawyer get his legal fees from the shop owner, or file a complaint of false arrest to let the shop see the other side of the coin.

I'd also find somewhere else to get your movies.

johns624

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 pm

I'm wondering if maybe his wife kept tearing up notices sent to the house?

PacNWjet

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Quoting Johns624 (Reply 53):
I'm wondering if maybe his wife kept tearing up notices sent to the house?

Well, as the OP states in his initial message, his wife opened got a movie rental card in his name:

My wife used a movie rental card she got in my name

So if the rental store sent out late return notices they probably would have come in the OP's name and it is he who most likely would have been the one to ignore them, as well as any legal complaints leading up to the bench warrant issued in his name.

kiwiinoz

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:12 am

Holy crap. If late fines on 1 video is this serious an offence then I would be on death row by now.

flymia

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 am

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 15):
In any other country a policeman would have called you on the phone and asked you what was the issue, and told you that he would send you a fine ticket in case you didn't prove that you had not intentionally stolen a video film.

ANY? Yea I am sure police officers in Colombia, China, Cuba all would have done that?

Quoting Cpd (Reply 23):

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 32):
Then why did he have a gun pulled on him? Ridiculous.

Quoting NA (Reply 45):
To point a gun on someone who´s wife forgot to return a video is so utterly over the top I cant help to call the responsible policeman a stupid idiot who should be reprimanded.

Everyone who is saying the cops should not have had guns ready to use are being completely naive. The police do not know where they are going, who is behind that door, if he is crazy and going to shot, does he have a knife etc.. Police Officers always need to expect the worst because there are people out there that want to kill them just because they are in uniform trying to do good for the community and trying to keep everyone else lives' safer.
Read this story and tell me police officers should not being going into an unknown suspects house without their guns ready to fire. http://www.komonews.com/news/local/78088192.html
Come on guys come to reality here.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 36):
And it's not like power abuse by police officers is rare. I'm more inclined to believe a citizen.

Actually it is very rare, about 1% of police officers misuse their force. The only reason it seems like it is not rare is because when one officer from any department anywhere in the US makes a mistake its national or at least regional top stories. Why? Because police officers are expected to be perfect and 99% of the time they are. Just like when an airline pilot makes a mistake or clergy men do its national news same for police officers. Would we say airline pilots fly drunk all the time or fall asleep in the cockpit all the time? NO but if you watch the news you would think it was a monthly thing.

P.S I just do not get people who distrust and do not like police officers, because even if you said the worst thing possible to their face if you were ever in a life threating situation they would put their own lifes on the line with out thinking about it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)