JakeOrion
Topic Author

NFL Week 17 2009

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Well, what a crazy season it has been. 4th and 2 gate, Indy's give away to the Jets, Raiders having a pigeon for containment on punt return ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2msmYpNXic ), Jay Cutler and Brett Farve controversies, on and on and on. Then, to top it off, for the past two weeks, 7 teams are still competing for the two wildcard spots in the AFC. The current playoff scenario, as follows taken from http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...058_Week_17_playoff_scenarios.html

Quote:
AFC
CLINCHED:
Indianapolis – AFC South and homefield advantage.
San Diego – AFC West and first-round bye.
Cincinnati – AFC North.
New England – AFC East.

ELIMINATED: Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Buffalo, Tennessee.

Baltimore, New York Jets, Denver, Pittsburgh and Houston can also make the playoffs if they tie this week in combination with various other results.

Jacksonville and Miami cannot make the playoffs with a tie.

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Baltimore clinches a playoff spot with:

* BAL win

NEW YORK JETS
NY Jets clinch a playoff spot with:

* NYJ win

DENVER BRONCOS
Denver clinches a playoff spot with:

1) DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie OR
2) DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + PIT loss or tie OR
3) DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + HOU win OR
4) DEN win + BAL loss or tie + PIT loss or tie OR
5) DEN win + BAL loss or tie + HOU win OR
6) PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss OR
7) PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss OR
8) PIT loss + BAL loss + JAC loss + NYJ loss OR
9) PIT loss + HOU loss + JAC loss + NYJ loss OR
10) MIA loss or tie + NYJ loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss or tie

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Pittsburgh clinches a playoff spot with:

1) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + NYJ loss or tie OR
2) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + BAL loss or tie OR
3) PIT win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

HOUSTON TEXANS
Houston clinches a playoff spot with:

1) HOU win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie OR
2) HOU win + NYJ loss or tie + DEN loss or tie OR
3) HOU win + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Jacksonville clinches a playoff spot with:

1) JAC win + PIT loss + BAL loss + DEN loss + HOU loss OR
2) JAC win + PIT loss + BAL loss + DEN loss + NYJ loss OR
3) JAC win + PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss OR
4) JAC win + PIT loss + DEN loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss OR
5) JAC win + NYJ loss + DEN loss + HOU loss + BAL loss

MIAMI DOLPHINS
Miami clinches a playoff spot with:

* MIA win + NYJ loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss or tie

Then there's the NFC, which is also very interesting (same source):

Quote:
NFC
CLINCHED:
New Orleans – NFC South and homefield advantage
Minnesota – NFC North.
Arizona – NFC West.
Philadelphia – playoff spot.
Green Bay – playoff spot.
Dallas – playoff spot.

ELIMINATED: Detroit, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Washington, Chicago, Seattle, Carolina, Atlanta, San Francisco, NY Giants.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Minnesota clinches a first-round bye with:

1) MIN win + PHI loss or tie OR
2) MIN tie + PHI loss

ARIZONA CARDINALS
Arizona clinches a first-round bye with:

* ARI win + MIN loss + PHI loss

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Philadelphia clinches NFC East with:

* PHI win or tie

Philadelphia clinches a first-round bye with:

1) PHI win OR
2) PHI tie + MIN loss or tie

DALLAS COWBOYS
Dallas clinches NFC East with:

* DAL win

Dallas clinches a first-round bye with:

* DAL win + MIN loss + ARI loss or tie

What a season! Matchups for the final regular season games as follows:

SF @ STL
NE @ HOU
ATL @ TB
NO @ CAR
PIT @ MIA
JAC @ CLE
NYG @ MIN
CHI @ DET
WAS @ SD
TEN @ SEA
BAL @ OAK
PHI @ DAL
KC @ DEN
GB @ ARI
CIN @ NYJ
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

steeler83

RE: NFL Week 17 2009

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Thread starter):
PIT @ MIA

I am hoping that PIT can beat MIA. Altho there is talk around the Steelers players that Cincinnati and New England will intentionally lose (to NYJ and NE respectively) just to keep the Steelers out, just because they know that Pittsburgh's a dangerous team when they get momentum going heading into the playoffs.

They did learn that lesson in 2005/2006...

As far as my thoughts, I am rather skeptical of Pittsburgh's chances even if they do make it in. Granted, I had doubts about their season in 2005, but this year the team struggled. They played games that should have been 3 easy wins that resulted in huge upsets, and I blame both the coaches for not exposing the opponents' weaknesses and attacking them, as well as the players for not having their hearts in the game (especially at CLE).

If they make it in, I think their first opponent will be New England, and Tom Brady already has had the Steelers' number twice in the Post Season. They probably won't make it further than that...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 1):
If they make it in, I think their first opponent will be New England, and Tom Brady already has had the Steelers' number twice in the Post Season. They probably won't make it further than that...

You know, this is going to be a very interesting weekend, because the Patriots and Bengals are still battling for 3rd and 4th seed. A Patriot win/Bengals loss would give the Pats 3rd seed, and vice versa for the Bengals. However, if both teams win/lose, New England would get the 3rd seed due to strength of victory.

Who would you rather face, Patriots or Bengals?
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

CaliAtenza

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:29 pm

I want either the Pats or the Chargers to get to the Super Bowl this year..i dont care who the opposing team is  Smile

thegreatRDU

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 am

We'll finish the season out with a bang when we destroy the Saints bench....
Hope the salary cap gets reinstated after the end of next season....don't want the NFL to turn into the MLB...
Our Returning Champion

StarAC17

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:04 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 1):
I am hoping that PIT can beat MIA. Altho there is talk around the Steelers players that Cincinnati and New England will intentionally lose (to NYJ and NE respectively) just to keep the Steelers out, just because they know that Pittsburgh's a dangerous team when they get momentum going heading into the playoffs.

If this was ever discovered by the NFL that certain teams were intentionally throwing games to keep a dangerous team out of the playoffs (especially the Patriots with spygate and such). I would hope Roger Goodell would ban Belichick and Marvin Lewis from coaching or at least have him sit out a year. Throwing a game for fear of the defending champs beating you in nonsense, and I am not a fan of the Steelers.

Also resting your starters is not the same thing because you have to believe even the practice squad is trying their best to win.

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 4):
We'll finish the season out with a bang when we destroy the Saints bench....
Hope the salary cap gets reinstated after the end of next season....don't want the NFL to turn into the MLB...

Sucess in the NFL and even in MLB depends on how you draft talent and buy into a playing style and not how much $$$ is spent. The Yankees won the World Series this year but I doubt that they will run away will another dynasty. Will they be in the hunt, yeah but it doesn't mean they will win all the time.

MIAMI DOLPHINS
Miami clinches a playoff spot with:

* MIA win + NYJ loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss or tie

Here's hoping, but with Miami being beaten up with injuries they are likely one and out (even if they get in) by going to NE or Cincinnati. All I am hoping for is them to win and finish 500. Hell I don't think they are having any 1-15 seasons with Sparano there.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Tiger119

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:29 am

SF @ STL
NE @ HOU
ATL @ TB
NO @ CAR
PIT @ MIA
JAC @ CLE
NYG @ MIN
CHI @ DET
WAS @ SD
TEN @ SEA
BAL @ OAK
PHI @ DAL
KC @ DEN
GB @ ARI
CIN @ NYJ

+ IND@BUF @1PM

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 5):
I would hope Roger Goodell would ban Belichick

- I would not put anything past Belicheater!

I bet it's colder at BUF than HFY!

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

N1120A

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:46 am

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 4):

1) MLB has had far more parity recently than the NFL

2) MLB teams have different methods of player cost control, which leads to lower average salaries.

3) The NFL system is far too owner-friendly as it is.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

steeler83

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 5):
Throwing a game for fear of the defending champs beating you in nonsense, and I am not a fan of the Steelers.

It is downright silly and juvenile. It is especially silly when you factor this in:

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 2):
A Patriot win/Bengals loss would give the Pats 3rd seed, and vice versa for the Bengals. However, if both teams win/lose, New England would get the 3rd seed due to strength of victory.

Both are contending for the 3rd seed here, so I am thinking that both teams are going to play their hardest (and of course hope the other loses). The higher seed (3, which right now is New England) plays the lower wild card seed (6, who right now I think is Denver) on wild card weekend next week.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

thegreatRDU

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):

2) MLB teams have different methods of player cost control, which leads to lower average salaries.

3) The NFL system is far too owner-friendly as it is.

What parity...how many different news teams are going to the playoffs in the NFL compared to the MLB?
An owner like Ralph Wilson of the Bills has the ability to draw in the same players Jerry Jones of the Cowboys can with the same spending power....even though Jerry Jones gets more revenue,more endorsements sponsors, it';s a bigger club, bigger fanbase, etc... now without a cap....that's another story.....
Our Returning Champion

Tiger119

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:50 am

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 6):
+ IND@BUF @1PM

- I heard on the radio tonight coming into work that BUF is pretty week right now with a lot of first and second string players on IR. Seems they even have some practice squad guys that are going to be dressing for this weekends game (source: 1070 The Fan Indianapolis).

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

steeler83

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:33 am

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 10):
a lot of first and second string players on IR.

Including T.O.?

Speaking of whom, I cannot believe that some columnist on Foxsports.com put him on his so-called team of the decade. Granted, he's entitled to his opinion, but I just think he's not the best choice for such a team. I'd replace him with Hines Ward. Not to be biased, but he is a hell of a lot more of a team player than T.O. is, and he also puts up big numbers when needed. T.O. is nothing more than a crybaby who does nothing but dismantle what ever team he plays for. To me, his career stats mean nothing...

LTU932

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:53 am

I don't think Pittsburgh will make it, and I'm a Steelers fan (hopefully the Steelers will prove me wrong, but the AFC is still wide open). In any case, I do predict that Indianapolis will end its regular season with a tie this week.  Wink
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

steeler83

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:50 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 12):
I don't think Pittsburgh will make it, and I'm a Steelers fan (hopefully the Steelers will prove me wrong, but the AFC is still wide open).

Same here. Altho, I thought the same thing in 2005, but this is a somewhat different situation this time...

san747

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:55 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 13):

Same here. Altho, I thought the same thing in 2005, but this is a somewhat different situation this time...

Steelers need a loooooooot of help if they want to get in this year. The only AFC team it seems has a worse chance of getting in is Denver, and frankly, it would amuse me quite a bit to see Denver choke yet again on the last week of the season.
Scotty doesn't know...

steeler83

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 14):
Steelers need a loooooooot of help if they want to get in this year.

I wouldn't say it like that. The best case scenario is that the Jets and Texans lose. It's not like they need 4 or 5 teams to go down, but nonetheless it is a bit of a long shot.

Of course, the Steelers could lose tomorrow and all aforementioned points and/or arguments become moot...

LTU932

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 11):
T.O. is nothing more than a crybaby who does nothing but dismantle what ever team he plays for. To me, his career stats mean nothing...

The only thing TO deserves is some popcorn up his ass. I do agree that he should be replaced with Hines Ward in that "Team of the Decade", especially since he also had a cultural impact. Koreans of mixed descent were treated like outcasts, and that was an issue close to him, as he's the son of an African-American and a Korean. By him winning the Superbowl, not only has he put the NFL on the map in Korea (people there probably pay more attention to the NFL after this, similarly to the German media reporting on e.g. the New England Patriots because of the presence of Sebastian Vollmer, or by keeping a watch on German players in the NHL and on Dirk Nowitzki in the NBA), but AFAIK when he travelled there, he tried to raise more awareness on the problem of the discrimination of mixed-race Korean kids in Korea.

OTOH, all TO did was tell people to "bring on the popcorn". He never even won a Superbowl (all the teams he played with in fact lost when they went to the SB). All he does is just talk but not justify his talk with performance on the field.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

corocks

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:29 pm

HOUSTON TEXANS
Houston clinches a playoff spot with:

1) HOU win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie OR
2) HOU win + NYJ loss or tie + DEN loss or tie OR
3) HOU win + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

Unfortunately I don't think my Texans will get in. They are the underdog in their game and all of the teams they need to lose are favorites. Going to take a lot of upsets.

I am hoping that if they go 8-8 for the 3rd year in a row they will get rid of Kubiak. There has been no improvement in the record given that the roster has gotten better every year. They is clearly on the coaching. This is also the easiest schedule they have had in a long time, they should have several more wins. In my mind, the only way I want him to stay is if they can not land a proven NFL coach - no offensive coordinators no one has heard of.

deltairlines

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 8):
Both are contending for the 3rd seed here, so I am thinking that both teams are going to play their hardest (and of course hope the other loses). The higher seed (3, which right now is New England) plays the lower wild card seed (6, who right now I think is Denver) on wild card weekend next week.

What's the difference between the 3/4 seeds? There isn't going to be much difference in quality between the 5/6 seeds - both Cincinnati and New England next week should win at home. Then it becomes a set up for next week - from New England's perspective, do you want to (a) travel cross country and (b) play a red-hot team when you can play a team that you (a) know real well (b) shown you can play in their house this year (aside from the missed fourth down) and (c) the team might be reeling (from the NYJ debacle) and rusty (from having a lot of the starters having played maybe 2-3 quarters in the month before the game).

If I'm New England, I'd be gunning for the fourth seed to play Indianapolis.

The offense will play for a bit today to continue to work out some rhythm kinks, but starters will sit in the second half - Brady is very banged up. Also, there is the very slim possibility that the Pats will play the Texans next week, so I'm sure the Pats aren't going to show much of the playbook (same with Cincinnati and the Jets - Cincy might be playing them again next week, so run the vanilla playbook). The defense today is the B squad - plenty of injuries there, and the Texans will put up plenty of points since they're motivated.

At the end of the day, the Pats and Bengals are going to do one thing - what's best for their football teams. If it means Pittsburgh misses the playoffs and whines about how the mean Pats and Bengals lost to keep them out, deal with it - maybe instead of whining now, they should have beaten one of Cleveland, Kansas City or Oakland (combined 12-33 record) - win one of those games against those teams, Pittsburgh is probably in control of its destiny. Win two of those games, they're in the playoffs. When you can't beat a sad sack of teams like that though, Pittsburgh has absolutely no right to complain if someone else decides that they'd rather not face them in the playoffs and decide to try to set up matchups that are more favorable to them.

deltairlines

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Quoting COrocks (Reply 17):
They are the underdog in their game and all of the teams they need to lose are favorites. Going to take a lot of upsets.

Houston is a seven point favorite today. They're playing for something; the Patriots really aren't. They should win today - look for a repeat of Houston's first half performance form last week again this week against a banged up/resting New England defense.

I am hoping that if they go 8-8 for the 3rd year in a row they will get rid of Kubiak.

The grapevine is saying that Kubiak is getting a playoff extension.

srbmod

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Well the Falcons may have not made the playoffs, but they did finish the season 9-7. That in itself is important, as for the first time in the franchise's history they've posted back to back winning seasons.

dragon-wings

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:58 pm

The Giants were embarrassed by the Vikings today 44-7. There is going to be some big changes this offseason by the Giants! On the plus side Eli got to 4,000 passing yards this season.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:11 am

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 10):

- I heard on the radio tonight coming into work that BUF is pretty week right now with a lot of first and second string players on IR. Seems they even have some practice squad guys that are going to be dressing for this weekends game (source: 1070 The Fan Indianapolis).

So much for that "weak" team, completely smacked Indy 30-7.

Unfortunately I don't think my Texans will get in. They are the underdog in their game and all of the teams they need to lose are favorites. Going to take a lot of upsets.

As of right now, your team is still in it considering you just beat the Patriots 34-27.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
Well the Falcons may have not made the playoffs, but they did finish the season 9-7. That in itself is important, as for the first time in the franchise's history they've posted back to back winning seasons.

Small goals like these will eventually lead to the SB. Next year, try to make the playoffs once again.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 21):
The Giants were embarrassed by the Vikings today 44-7.

Panthers over Saints, Browns over Jags, Packers over Cardinals, Redskins over Chargers (as of now, but was expecting Chargers loss) and now Chiefs over Denver! I mean holy crapoly man, my pick'em league just pwned my ass. OYE!!!

san747

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:27 am

San Diego pulls off the last minute win with Billy Volek, very reminiscent of his winning drive against the Colts in January 2008, increasing their league-best win streak to 11 and bringing some positive momentum into the playoffs.

Denver chokes big time once again on the last week of the season and is out of the playoffs. Will McDaniels be HC next year after what has happened?
Scotty doesn't know...

n6238p

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 am

So Bronco fans, who got the better end of this Orton/Cutler deal?

Cutler threw a lot of stupid passes but he didn't lead his team to a 6-0 start, missing the playoffs.

I'm just saying...
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 23):
San Diego pulls off the last minute win with Billy Volek, very reminiscent of his winning drive against the Colts in January 2008, increasing their league-best win streak to 11 and bringing some positive momentum into the playoffs.

I don't know how he does it, but Volek has that touch where he just gets the job done. Very VERY happy we managed to keep him.

Quoting San747 (Reply 23):
Denver chokes big time once again on the last week of the season and is out of the playoffs. Will McDaniels be HC next year after what has happened?

I generally have respect for rival teams, even division opponents, but if they fire McDaniels after one year, I will lose all respect for that team. When the Chargers fired Schottenheimer and brought on Norv Turner, I said to myself, "OK, I will give this guy 3 years to at least get to the AFCCG." He did just that the following year, and has kept this team playoff contenders since (2008 8-8 team is a whole different story, 4 of those losses were in the last 30 seconds.) My opinion is to give all new coaches 3 years, and if they don't at least make the playoffs by the 3rd year, well, do what you want.

steeler83

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 18):
If it means Pittsburgh misses the playoffs and whines about how the mean Pats and Bengals lost to keep them out, deal with it - maybe instead of whining now, they should have beaten one of Cleveland, Kansas City or Oakland (combined 12-33 record) - win one of those games against those teams, Pittsburgh is probably in control of its destiny. Win two of those games, they're in the playoffs. When you can't beat a sad sack of teams like that though, Pittsburgh has absolutely no right to complain if someone else decides that they'd rather not face them in the playoffs and decide to try to set up matchups that are more favorable to them.

Good post. And, well, the Pats did blow a 14 point lead to lose to the Texans (kudos Texans on the victory!), and Baltimore beat a team they should have beat but Pittsburgh did not, the Ravens.

Well, now that the Steelers' pathetic season is over, maybe they can finally drop the idiotic anchor that is Bruce Arians. He is inconsistant when it comes to coordinating an offense, and his play calling is weak, and it really hurt the Steelers' chances this year. Him and whoever coordinates special teams. Both of those nobodies need to go...

And, maybe the rest of the team will actually grow the hell up and actually learn how to beat a team that ranks dead last or close to it. They seemed to do that last year rather convincingly when they ended the season with the Browns. And yeah, the reason why yinz lost is because you let pee-wee-esque teams that should have been an easy win walk over you! Perhaps look at each team as if you're playing Indianaplis or New England for Pete's sake! Then, maybe you can actually show your worth. How about this: New England beat Tennessee, at the time the worst team, by a score of 59 - ZILCH!! Pittsburgh played Cleveland last month, at the time the worst team in the league, and LOST! -- BY A TOUCHDOWN!! Had Pittsburgh actually showed up, they score would have (and should have) been 40 or 50-something to 10 at best!

As said above, it also comes down to the coaches. Big Ben knows what he has to do. Give him the ball. The team does much better when they go no-huddle anyway...

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 16):

So at the end of the day, all TO really cares about is TO... He should be on NO team. Whoever should pick him up deserves no sympathy for their woes (on, off the field, or in the locker room)...

thegreatRDU

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 am

Like I said we will take care of the Saints bench....
Chris Johnson way to put ECU on the map!
So did Zorn get fired yet....

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 25):
I generally have respect for rival teams, even division opponents, but if they fire McDaniels after one year, I will lose all respect for that team.

Relax McDaniels isn't going anywhere....If anything Brandon Marshall could have probably played his last game as a Bronco

Quoting N6238P (Reply 24):
So Bronco fans, who got the better end of this Orton/Cutler deal?
Cutler threw a lot of stupid passes but he didn't lead his team to a 6-0 start, missing the playoffs.
I'm just saying...

You can't be serious
Our Returning Champion

srbmod

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 am

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 27):
So did Zorn get fired yet....

Rumored for Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ap-redskins-zorn&prov=ap&type=lgns

There are rumblings that Raheem Morris may be out in Tampa after one season.

In either case, look for the Bill Cowher rumors expand to D.C. and T.B. (They're already rumbling in Buffalo.).

steeler83

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 28):
In either case, look for the Bill Cowher rumors expand to D.C. and T.B. (They're already rumbling in Buffalo.).

Oh boy...

Can we expect the "I'm not returning to coaching," shpiel, too?  sarcastic 

How long has Zorn been coaching the Redskins, since Gibbs left? In that case, yeah I'd have to say it's time for him to go...

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:01 am

Well the Bengals obviously didn't come to play tonight, down 27-0 at halftime. Not sure the reasoning of the Bengals for playing this poorly. Only reason I can think of is you intentionally avoid showing the Jets your A-game for when you face them next week. But this is still just sad.  frown  Bengals could improve by a factor of 5 and they'd still be going home from the post season after Week 1.

The Giants didn't even bother to show up against Minnesota today. I knew they had nothing to play for but really - 44-7 loss? Why even bother burning the jet fuel to fly out there if you're going to give that kind of performance intentionally? Just sad especially for a team that started 5-0.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Falcon84

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:03 am

Well, the Browns have made it very interesting for new President Mike Holmgren, after closing the season with 4 consecutive wins, beating the Jags 23-17. First time since 1994 that the Browns have won four straight games.

Jerome Harrison solidified his off-season pick as the starting running back, with 127 yards on the frozen tundra of Browns' Stadium. That gives him about 570 yards of the last 3 games of the year. Impressive, no matter who your opponent.

Now, the speculation on the future of Coach Eric Mangini starts. Did he and the Browns do enough in the last month of the season to save his job? Or does Holmgren go out and pick his own guy, and semi-blow it up again.

In his defense, and despite a woeful start, there's no doubt the Browns are better now than they were this time last season. But will the lure of a big-time coach come ahead of some progress?

We may find out within the week.
Work Right, Fly Hard

steeler83

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 30):
Well the Bengals obviously didn't come to play tonight, down 27-0 at halftime. Not sure the reasoning of the Bengals for playing this poorly.

Hey, Cincinnati, you don't have to "lay down" anymore like Lamar Woodley thought you might do! Pittsburgh's eliminated already!  Wink

And now with that nutty statement out of the way, man did the Birds get a shallacking today by the Cowboys. Altho, I think they were due to drop one, and big. They were on a winning streak, right? And, they're already in the playoffs. They were due to drop one, or "due stinker," if I may refer to a Post-Gazette article from last year when the Steelers dropped a big one to Tennessee just before the Playoffs.

I still think the Birds are in a pretty good position to go pretty far in the Playoffs. Had they won, they likely would have been the #2 seed. New Orleans dropped 3 in a row, so I am having doubts about how far they'll get in the playoffs. Dallas and Minnesota just do not impress me. Arizona could be a different story, tho. Regardless, I think this post-season could be a good one for the Eagles...

Call me crazy, but that's what I think...  Smile

deltairlines

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:52 am

So...next weekend in the playoffs, we have three re-matches of games from this weekend, with Cincy/Jets, Cards/Packers and Eagles/Cowboys playing for the second straight weekend. Kinda weird how that worked out. Only Pats/Ravens isn't a repeat from this weekend (though a rematch from earlier this year).

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:32 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 32):
Hey, Cincinnati, you don't have to "lay down" anymore like Lamar Woodley thought you might do! Pittsburgh's eliminated already!

The Bengals not only laid down - they went to sleep.  no 

Cincinnati better get their act together by 4:30 PM on Saturday. The Bengals have lost 3 out of their last 4 games. Their only "good" game in those last 4 was actually their loss to San Diego, 27-24. Their win against the Chiefs to clinch the division wasn't exactly convincing. And tonight's performance was disgraceful. There's NO excuse for how they played tonight. I wouldn't have even cared if they played well and kept up with the Jets in the first half and then sat down the starters in the second half. But 37-0? Really?

To keep positive, I'll think back to the 2007-2008 Giants. The Giants lost to the Cowboys, Packers, and Patriots in the regular season. In the playoffs, they beats the Cowboys, Packers, and Patriots (they beat Tampa Bay in the Wild Card round but didn't face Tampa in the regular season). Hopefully the Bengals can do the same with the Jets. And you don't have to beat them by 37 Cincinnati. Just 1.

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 33):
Eagles/Cowboys

Not sure who I hate more. As a team, I hate the Cowboys more. They haven't won a playoff game in well over a decade (I think last playoff win was 1996), which I find amusing for such a highly rated and beloved team. (The Bengals have a dry streak that stretches even further, but hey, it's expected of us.  wink  ) But as for the Eagles, I really hate Michael Vick. Maybe both teams can lose...

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 33):
So...next weekend in the playoffs, we have three re-matches of games from this weekend, with Cincy/Jets, Cards/Packers and Eagles/Cowboys playing for the second straight weekend. Kinda weird how that worked out.

Indeed. I was talking with my cousin about that in regards to the Bengals game and how they'll face the Jets next week and how it's not often two teams play each other in consecutive weeks in the NFL. Even weirder that it happens with six teams.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Mir

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:49 am

Jets win big - just hope they can carry it on to Cincy next week. And as far as the Jaguars go...it wouldn't have mattered, but there is no excuse for losing to the Browns. Except that it's the Jaguars, and they always pull crap like that off. May not be the Jaguars for that much longer, though - I get the feeling that LA is in this team's future.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):

You're going to have to explain the logic behind that one, because I'm not seeing it. Far more teams in the NFL have a decent shot to make the playoffs at the beginning of the year than in MLB.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

san747

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 34):

The Bengals not only laid down - they went to sleep. no

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 34):

Indeed. I was talking with my cousin about that in regards to the Bengals game and how they'll face the Jets next week and how it's not often two teams play each other in consecutive weeks in the NFL.

At first I thought they were taking the idea of not showing their hand to a team they were going to play again next week to the extreme, but then I realized if the Bengals actually had played the game tonight, they wouldn't be facing the Jets again. Making it completely pointless.

I have no beef with the Bengals, but they're gonna be one and done if they don't get their shit together.
Scotty doesn't know...

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 am

It would seem it was Cincy's strategy to "play dead" tonight. In a way it makes sense for them.
If Cincy wins they play a surging Houston team (that IIRC beat them earlier in the year).
If Cincy loses to the Jets they get to play them again a week later in Cincy, knowing a bit more what to expect from NY (it is also hard to beat a team two weeks in a row in the NFL)
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

mke717spotter

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:29 am

Meaningless game? Try telling that to the Packers, who have blistered the Cardinals in two trips to Arizona this season. In the preseason they led 38-10 at halftime. Combined with Sunday's 33-7 shellacking, it's clear the visitors will carry a psychological advantage into their playoff rematch this week. By the time the game was over, the fans who weren't wearing green and yellow suddenly were spooked by the upcoming playoff matchup.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.